Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 hours ago, Arzeena said:

Who is our resident orchid lady? (Apologies for not remembering who)

Lionesss? ReneFLL?
I followed some of the tips she gave John and am happy to report that I now have one flowering one budding and one "I don't know what will happen" plant, from three almost dead and "in dire need of prayers" plants. Thanks for all your orchid tips. I followed them to the T.....OK, almost!

That would be me. So happy it worked. Hopefully the third one will make it also.

Another story. 😁  As some know I’m big into orchids. I was on my way to a big sale from this guy downsizing to a condo. He had hundreds with many big ones. There was no way I was going to miss it. I was in an accident, rolled 4.5 times. Anyone remember the defective Firestone tires? That’s what caused it. 

The first person to arrive was a retired emt from Atlanta. Later he told me that he thought I was dead. 😲 I also had a friend who was following me because she said she might have to go to Miami to pick up a check. There was no way I was going to leave the sale if I was finding good stuff so we drove separately. Anyway, when I came to, the emt was talking to me keeping me calm and I could hear Betsy running down the highway yelling Renee, Renee. So thankful she wasn’t with me because the right side of the 4Runner was completely crushed and there is no way she would have survived. They had to cut me out of it. Jaws of life it think is what they call the cutters.

So in the ER they stitched up my torn tendon in my finger and they couldn’t do anything for the cracked ribs or other bumps and bruises. Thinking there might still be some orchids left I talked her into driving me to the sale. The people there thought I was nuts as I walked around holding my hand about head height. It really hurt. I did get some great ones though. 

After the accident I tried calling Mike, but had no idea how to get in touch with him so what do I do? The only logical thing I knew to do. I call the AA reservations. 🤣  I explained the situation and they actually passed the message on. I didn’t think they would and probably thought I was some crazy lady. Mike has since programmed the Chief Pilots number into my phone. Luckily I have never had to call him in the 21 years since.

I had just joined the Fort Lauderdale Orchid Society so I was new to everyone. I joined after this sale. They were having a bus ramble to go to different orchid places down in Miami. So this lady, Dot is explaining to people on the bus about this crazy lady who had just had a bad accident and still showed up at the sale. I got her attention and raised my hand so she could see it. Needless to say she was embarrassed. I don’t call it crazy, I call it dedication. Trust me I’m not crazy. 🤥 Aren’t those the ones your parents tell you to watch out for?  🤣🤣🤣🤣 

Here are some pictures of one of my favorite ones I got that day. This is the Peristeria elata and it’s the National flower of Panama. There are many very unique orchids out there. I couldn’t find my pictures so these are some I pulled of the internet.

Screenshot_20210708-215205_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210708-215042_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 13

2 hours ago, Luckynana said:

That's awful.  Poor puppy!  My brother adopted a small Rescue dog, and the poor thing cowered and was shaking the whole time we visited.

Poor thing must have been abused. Hopefully over time he will learn to trust the love he is being given.

42 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I have not.  Now I have to look for that and cotton candy grapes when I do my weekend errands.

I saw Cotton Candy grapes at our local produce place few weeks ago and bought some.  They were sweeter than other green grapes.

Costco has a Cotton Candy Sparkling Wine.  Bought one to try.  I'm sure it's pretty sweet.  Will let you know how it taste.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, singinalot said:

The VRbO my family rented was really my first experience in a “home” as opposed to a hotel. It was beautiful, well decorated, and had the best pool. We spent the majority of the weekend utilizing the back yard space.

That evening my family celebrated my bday. This chocolate cake was seriously the best chocolate cake I’ve had in my life.C968DA82-2C9A-424C-929B-B430090745EA.thumb.jpeg.133bab00ebf41c7a911b0ec83e46dcad.jpeg

74C5ED39-114C-462D-A9A5-3E61F608CF3C.thumb.jpeg.af122fe2c30ebd9e1746d4dfa57ee485.jpeg

7E0A4030-B4C3-46AD-8A0B-50856CA2AE20.thumb.jpeg.7adb218fd4eb7ecc110d19b128b6569f.jpeg

Nate had been antsy all day to give me my bday gift. I later found out that he had coordinated with my cousin and his best friend…his best friend bought it on his card so I wouldn’t see the charge and they had it shipped to my cousin. I’m still speechless. 

BA498FFD-9521-436A-960A-80DD64642946.jpeg

Wow, beautiful everything and Happy Birthday. The house is beautiful, the cake is stunning and the shoes are sexy. 

Edited by ReneeFLL

44 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

A bit like calling brown diamonds chocolate and yellow diamonds canary and then jacking up the price.

I know. Back in the day brown and yellow diamonds were undesirable. Now with clever marketing a lot of people want them. Not me.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

Beautiful orchid. Somehow it kind of reminds me of the Angry Birds game.

Crazy accident story. I'm glad you were OK after rolling so many times.

Thanks. First and hopefully last accident ever. After that for a long time with every little bump my heart would do a double beat. At least it seemed like it did. With a decent bump my stomach would drop.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, singinalot said:

The VRbO my family rented was really my first experience in a “home” as opposed to a hotel. It was beautiful, well decorated, and had the best pool. We spent the majority of the weekend utilizing the back yard space.

That evening my family celebrated my bday. This chocolate cake was seriously the best chocolate cake I’ve had in my life.C968DA82-2C9A-424C-929B-B430090745EA.thumb.jpeg.133bab00ebf41c7a911b0ec83e46dcad.jpeg

74C5ED39-114C-462D-A9A5-3E61F608CF3C.thumb.jpeg.af122fe2c30ebd9e1746d4dfa57ee485.jpeg

7E0A4030-B4C3-46AD-8A0B-50856CA2AE20.thumb.jpeg.7adb218fd4eb7ecc110d19b128b6569f.jpeg

Nate had been antsy all day to give me my bday gift. I later found out that he had coordinated with my cousin and his best friend…his best friend bought it on his card so I wouldn’t see the charge and they had it shipped to my cousin. I’m still speechless. 

Wow! Now that is a birthday gift to remember!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, singinalot said:

The house looks beautiful!

And that cake! OMG I have to have a bite!😁

Captain Kate Shoes!!!!!!!! Thrilling!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

That would be me. So happy it worked. Hopefully the third one will make it also.

Another story. 😁  As some know I’m big into orchids. I was on my way to a big sale from this guy downsizing to a condo. He had hundreds with many big ones. There was no way I was going to miss it. I was in an accident, rolled 4.5 times. Anyone remember the defective Firestone tires? That’s what caused it. 

The first person to arrive was a retired emt from Atlanta. Later he told me that he thought I was dead. 😲 I also had a friend who was following me because she said she might have to go to Miami to pick up a check. There was no way I was going to leave the sale if I was finding good stuff so we drove separately. Anyway, when I came to, the emt was talking to me keeping me calm and I could hear Betsy running down the highway yelling Renee, Renee. So thankful she wasn’t with me because the right side of the 4Runner was completely crushed and there is no way she would have survived. They had to cut me out of it. Jaws of life it think is what they call the cutters.

So in the ER they stitched up my torn tendon in my finger and they couldn’t do anything for the cracked ribs or other bumps and bruises. Thinking there might still be some orchids left I talked her into driving me to the sale. The people there thought I was nuts as I walked around holding my hand about head height. It really hurt. I did get some great ones though. 

After the accident I tried calling Mike, but had no idea how to get in touch with him so what do I do? The only logical thing I knew to do. I call the AA reservations. 🤣  I explained the situation and they actually passed the message on. I didn’t think they would and probably thought I was some crazy lady. Mike has since programmed the Chief Pilots number into my phone. Luckily I have never had to call him in the 21 years since.

I had just joined the Fort Lauderdale Orchid Society so I was new to everyone. I joined after this sale. They were having a bus ramble to go to different orchid places down in Miami. So this lady, Dot is explaining to people on the bus about this crazy lady who had just had a bad accident and still showed up at the sale. I got her attention and raised my hand so she could see it. Needless to say she was embarrassed. I don’t call it crazy, I call it dedication. Trust me I’m not crazy. 🤥 Aren’t those the ones your parents tell you to watch out for?  🤣🤣🤣🤣 

Here are some pictures of one of my favorite ones I got that day. This is the Peristeria elata and it’s the National flower of Panama. There are many very unique orchids out there. I couldn’t find my pictures so these are some I pulled of the internet.

Thanks for all your orchid tips. I am so happy I followed them.

I am still laughing at the cheese wheel and crabs from Aruba!

WOW I totally get it when you said your heart does a bump with every bump on the road after that accident. Glad you made it out alive and well......you were meant to! I enjoy your stories.

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Most of my shoes say New Balance on them.🙂

I prefer Olukai, for those times when I actually need to wear shoes.  Maybe I'll get over this barefoot and flip flop thing once I've been in Florida for a while.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Wow.  Great story.  I appreciate your "dedication". 

• Like 1

On 7/7/2021 at 7:19 PM, Coralc said:

And one of the inherited cats is gone. We had to have Grey Kitty put to sleep yesterday. He only had one eye, because the other cat had whacked him years ago. In addition to the renal failure and hyperthyroidism that we had been treating with IV fluids and pills...he apparently went blind in his remaining eye on Friday evening. The vet said probably from the kidney disease or high blood pressure. It was very sad.  

Pirate Kitty small.jpg

So sorry to hear about Grey kitty.  (super cute picture).   I am still grieving over loss of my two girls to cancer two years ago.  They leave paw prints on our hearts.  🥰

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1