CDC 100 Day No Sail Order

PhillyFan33579

The CDC no sail order for 100 days should help people on this board understand there are not going to be any cruises any time soon. Lots of people on this board have criticized people like me for being negative for stating the obvious that no cruise line is going to resume operations in the near future. There is a big difference between being negative and accepting the reality of the world we are currently living in and the COVID virus impacting everyone. 

• Like 26

If Covid-19 is no longer a health emergency, this order could expire sooner than 100 days.  My opinion is that cruising may begin in July, but June is always a possibility as a best case scenario.  I didn't feel comfortable booking a cruise until September. Even September is up in the air to me right now.

"On April 9, 2020, CDC renewed the No Sail Order and Other Measures Related to Operations Order signed by the CDC Director on March 14, 2020—subject to the modifications and additional stipulated conditions as set forth in this Order. This Order shall continue in operation until the earliest of (1) the expiration of the Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declaration that COVID-19 constitutes a public health emergency; (2) the CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations; or (3) 100 days from the date of publication in the Federal Register."

Edited by TNcruising02

6 minutes ago, LHP said:

Thanks for the link .

I was getting confused between this one and the first one !

Well, it was an extension of the original order published March 14, 2020, so the confusion was justified. As I see it, it's just a renewal of the original order. 

To be clear, PhillyFan, I was criticizing the fact that you don't like a Cruise Critic article because it might be giving people hope that cruising would resume in May/June. What's it to you, or anyone else, if someone is optimistic and hopeful they'll cruise soon? How does it affect you? In the end, it'll be the cruise lines that make the decision of when to return, so why do you and so many others have such a problem with regular people...cruisers....being hopeful that they'll be able to cruise soon? If some people want to feel that way, who are you to tell them they shouldn't? There's a thread just like this that was created shortly after this one. It's almost as if some people WANT the shut-down to continue for months to come. Not out of concern for the safety of others, but just so they can say, "I told you so." Unfortunately, this is happening far beyond this message board. Never in my life have I seen such a large portion of the populace go after hope and optimism with such condemnation.

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

To be clear, PhillyFan, I was criticizing the fact that you don't like a Cruise Critic article because it might be giving people hope that cruising would resume in May/June. What's it to you, or anyone else, if someone is optimistic and hopeful they'll cruise soon? How does it affect you? In the end, it'll be the cruise lines that make the decision of when to return, so why do you and so many others have such a problem with regular people...cruisers....being hopeful that they'll be able to cruise soon? If some people want to feel that way, who are you to tell them they shouldn't? There's a thread just like this that was created shortly after this one. It's almost as if some people WANT the shut-down to continue for months to come. Not out of concern for the safety of others, but just so they can say, "I told you so." Unfortunately, this is happening far beyond this message board. Never in my life have I seen such a large portion of the populace go after hope and optimism with such condemnation.

When cruising should return seems to be pretty divisive. Similar to politics or may be politics is the reason for the divisiveness

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

i wasn’t referring to you in my comment, I was talking about the people who post comments along the lines that I am looking forward to my cruise in a few weeks or next month and I am remaining optimistic that it will happen. It’s pretty obvious these people don’t understand the gravity of the current situation we are all facing. And it’s likely these same people are the same ones not following guidance about staying at home, social distancing, etc., which jeopardize everyone by significantly increasing the likelihood of this virus continuing to spread. You know I like cruising as much as anyone on this board, but right now my focus is on doing my small part by staying at home basically 24/7 and not worrying about when I might be able to cruise again. 

• Like 11

14 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Definitely, it is very creepy.  I never realized such negativity was possible.  It borders the surreal.  Like people saying things are not true that are, people on CC but also people in positions of power which is even more shocking.  Like we are living in a Twilight Zone episode or the short story The Lottery.  This situation seems to be revealing a dark force within our society, a force that enjoys destruction and misery and tries to erase and rewrite positive developments and information.  I’m an independent and not a big voter.  So for me, this isn’t political.  A lot of people seem to see it that way.  But I just see it as darkness trying to extinguish the light.   Events in history that once seemed otherworldly  to me are starting to make sense. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

i wasn’t referring to you in my comment, I was talking about the people who post comments along the lines that I am looking forward to my cruise in a few weeks or next month and I am remaining optimistic that it will happen. It’s pretty obvious these people don’t understand the gravity of the current situation we are all facing. And it’s likely these same people are the same ones not following guidance about staying at home, social distancing, etc., which jeopardize everyone by significantly increasing the likelihood of this virus continuing to spread. You know I like cruising as much as anyone on this board, but right now my focus is on doing my small part by staying at home basically 24/7 and not worrying about when I might be able to cruise again. 

Thank you for explaining your attitude towards people optimistic or hopeful about cruising soon, I now understand where all the negativity is coming from. It did not occur to me that some people would presume if you wanted cruising to resume sooner rather than later you were also running around flaunting the social distance guidelines in an extreme way that would put others in jeopardy.

I could not disagree more with that presumption but thank you for clarifying your and probably many others need to convince people on this board that they are not cruising anytime soon. Thank you also for doing your part by staying home. I am doing the same and I presume close to 100% of the posters on Cruise Critic are too, I am optimistic that way. 

Edited by LaRue1975
  • Like 13
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

What's wrong with the people that were looking forward to cruising in a few weeks.  Was it realistic? Probably not but at least they were trying to be positive.  I was looking forward to my cruise at the end of June, which probably won't happen now, but it was something my family and I were hoping for.  Things kinda suck right now so people trying to be positive doesn't mean they don't get it.  I'm in LE and go to work everyday, grab OT and still instructing at several police academies up until this week.  Do I worry about bring things home yup, but that's life. So I'm still gonna still enjoy it as much as possible based on the circumstances and look forward to cruising maybe in August and three booked for next year.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, sbycroft said:

My cruise date is June 24th out of New York (pretty sure that's not happening) 

my question is: is it best to cancel now or wait till carnival cancels me.

If there is a penalty for cancelling (you don't get the top tier trip insurance) I'd let Carnival do the honors. I wish it would be a safe option for you by then. I'm just not holding out a lot of hope.

• Like 3

Reading the updated order from the CDC, it appears, to me at least, to be issued in order to stop sailings until the newly required action plans can be submitted and vetted.  The order can be changed or rescinded at any time by the CDC, as it states, and I believe with the acceptance of action plans, it will be.  When this will happen is uncertain, but may or may not last the full 100 days.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, outdoors27 said:

What's wrong with the people that were looking forward to cruising in a few weeks.  Was it realistic? Probably not but at least they were trying to be positive.  I was looking forward to my cruise at the end of June, which probably won't happen now, but it was something my family and I were hoping for.  Things kinda suck right now so people trying to be positive doesn't mean they don't get it.  I'm in LE and go to work everyday, grab OT and still instructing at several police academies up until this week.  Do I worry about bring things home yup, but that's life. So I'm still gonna still enjoy it as much as possible based on the circumstances and look forward to cruising maybe in August and three booked for next year.

I was hopeful that I’d be sailing at the end of June, but that ended with the cancellation of the Radiance. As we’ve been told from the beginning, this situation is/was fluid. Even the president had a timeline of Easter and with that, cruisers were hopeful. There is no harm in hope. We sail when we’re told it’s safe to sail. Nobody actually knows what we are doing at home- and I think most are in compliance with recommendations. I work child protection investigations, and really wanted that vacation (which I rebooked for June 2021). I hope you get yours. Stay safe out there! 

Edited by lensonlife
  • Like 8

I remain very positive during these times, and I do believe that the latest order by the CDC is very appropriate. As someone mentioned before, it gives a reasonable amount of time to establish new action plans that will undoubtedly be necessary in the cruise industry going forward. 

This is not an apocalyptic scenario. It’s a very sensible order. I know, 100 days sounds like a long time, but it truly isn’t. Good things will come out of all of this. 😀

• Like 7

10 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

The CDC no sail order for 100 days should help people on this board understand there are not going to be any cruises any time soon. Lots of people on this board have criticized people like me for being negative for stating the obvious that no cruise line is going to resume operations in the near future. There is a big difference between being negative and accepting the reality of the world we are currently living in and the COVID virus impacting everyone. 

All of this assumes facts not in evidence.  The order specifically says the first of the three conditions.  Basically according to the new guideline, it will be at most 100 days.  Now that could be changed, but nothing in there says it will be at least 100 days.  That is like a car warranty that says 10 years/100k miles.  If you go 500k miles during the 100 years, you lost coverage at 100k, even though the time is not up.

We may well not be cruising (or anything) anytime soon, but getting uptight that others have hope is odd to say the least.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Reading the updated order from the CDC, it appears, to me at least, to be issued in order to stop sailings until the newly required action plans can be submitted and vetted.  The order can be changed or rescinded at any time by the CDC, as it states, and I believe with the acceptance of action plans, it will be.  When this will happen is uncertain, but may or may not last the full 100 days.

Thanks for taking the emotion out of the discussion and providing an analysis.  

• Like 2

The CDC order states that cruise ships can't board passengers and return to their sailing schedules until one of three events takes place:

• Expiration of the Department of Health and Human Services' declaration that COVID-19 constitutes a public health emergency.

• The CDC director's own decision to modify or rescind its no-sail decision.

• Passage of 100 days from the time the new order is published in the Federal Registry

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

Just a question, does the CDC have the power to suspend sailing or anything?  Don't they recommend?  Isn't it up to a governing agency to make such calls?

Well, it gets a little gray.  The CDC cannot stop a cruise ship, with no passengers onboard, from leaving a US port and sailing to another country.  However, the USPH is tasked with prevention of introduction of infectious diseases into the US, so they can deny any ship, cruise or otherwise, from entering US waters, or require a quarantine for the ship.  The CDC is tasked with safekeeping the health of US citizens within the US, so they can deny a ship from embarking passengers if there is a perceived health risk.  And the USCG has jurisdiction over all navigable waters in the US, and the order states that operations require USCG approval, with agreement from HHS/CDC.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Well, it gets a little gray.  The CDC cannot stop a cruise ship, with no passengers onboard, from leaving a US port and sailing to another country.  However, the USPH is tasked with prevention of introduction of infectious diseases into the US, so they can deny any ship, cruise or otherwise, from entering US waters, or require a quarantine for the ship.  The CDC is tasked with safekeeping the health of US citizens within the US, so they can deny a ship from embarking passengers if there is a perceived health risk.

How much say will the DHS and the USCG have in this decision? According to my neighbor in the CG, they have unofficially been told they won’t be supporting any cruise ships this Summer. 

Edit:  I live in Florida if that makes a difference with the CG. I spent over 20 years in the AF but my knowledge of the CG is basically zero. 

Edited by PhillyFan33579