Cruises on your Wish-List

Britboys

5 hours ago, Francisdrake said:

I'd like to somehow combine a West coast & East coast USA cruise for an American tour.

In reality i'll probably have to do them at seperate times   

Others that take my fancy are

• Alaska & Canada
  • Iceland & Northern Lights
  • San Francisco to Sydney

In reality though i'll be booking onto wherever opens up first.

I think your West & East coast is doable but probably not with P&O

Alaska is fantastic. We spent 3 days in Vanouver and loved it. I now wish we had done the Canadian Lakes as well. However again not available with P&O. 

Cathy

Edited by Cathygh
  • Like 2

I did Vancouver Alaska on Star Princess in May 2018, nearly 2 years ago, I`d love to do that cruise again and cruise to Hawaii and California from Vancouver aswell.........

I`ve been to the Baltics & Fjords and would be back on either Britannia or Azura to retake them cruises in less then a heartbeat - especially if the destinations include Poland, Latvia and Lithuania as once I`ve been to those ports I`ve been too all the countries in Northern Europe...

Would love to sail to Iceland aswell, was due to go to this year on Aurora but finances / coronavirus put paid to that...

Would love to sail from Sydney to around New Zealand...... One day.... and sail from Southampton to New York on Queen Mary 2

I`m also from Staffordshire, like some fellow posters in this thread...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cathygh said:

Alaska is fantastic. We spent 3 days in Vanouver and loved it. I now wish we had done the Canadian Lakes as well. However again not available with P&O. 

Cathy

I'm open to other lines for the right itinerary, have already done a Carnival cruise for the Hawaiian Islands, Princess for a Scandinavia itinerary & Royal Caribbean for a Italy to the Greek Islands as well as P&O for the Norwegian Fjords & Caribbean cruises.   

Did briefly contemplate the Hawaiian cruise on Holland America from Vancouver as that was around the same time as the Hawaiian one we did with Carnival but I ended up backing down on that as the rest of the family preferred going from LA due to it being warmer than starting in Vancouver.

12 hours ago, Cathygh said:

Cathy

I agree with Cathy about Alaska being fantastic.  We went on the Coral Princess.  We went south to Vancouver after having a week on land that included Denali.  We did the same as her and spent 3 nights in Vancouver at the end.  It is expensive but I did all the arrangements myself and saved money.  Staying in log cabins was better value for the 4 of us than the 4 * hotels that the cruise lines use - and actually really lovely accommodation.    If it was not such a long journey to get there I would certainly go again.  Since it is a long journey I have chosen the Fjords as my next cruise.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Francisdrake said:

I'm open to other lines for the right itinerary, have already done a Carnival cruise for the Hawaiian Islands, Princess for a Scandinavia itinerary & Royal Caribbean for a Italy to the Greek Islands as well as P&O for the Norwegian Fjords & Caribbean cruises.   

Did briefly contemplate the Hawaiian cruise on Holland America from Vancouver as that was around the same time as the Hawaiian one we did with Carnival but I ended up backing down on that as the rest of the family preferred going from LA due to it being warmer than starting in Vancouver.

Hi

We were in Vancouver in June last year. it was comfortably warm. However we were too early to find bears in Alaska, we saw one running down the road at Icy Strait Point. July is better for that.

You could do Princess on West Coast and then Amtrak or fly back to New York. Sometimes Cunard goes up the East Coast then TA back. I have also found a land tour of The East Coast with a TA back. Those tend to be North east - Niagara, Washington, NY. If you want South of NY I am sure Princess or RC do something. 

I did a lot of cruise research in the last 12 months as I have some special occasions this year. None if the ones I was looking at are likely to happen this year so now looking at UK alternatives if hotels openn by August

Cathy

12 hours ago, Cathygh said:

Hi

Hurtigruten seems like a good option- goes to lots of different ports too, although I am not sure how pricey they are. 

I am fortunate to have been to the Italian Lakes a few times, Maggiore is my favourite. I've given up Italian holidays for cruising for now, apart from this inkling to do the Orient express. I like the idea of being spoiled. BTW Milan Cathedral is fantastic. There are lots of designer shops as you can imagine. The opera house is fab, we did a tour which included the museum. We also visited the cemetery on the tour. It sounds a bit random but included tombs of various musicians eg Verdi and the Campari family tomb which is a full size sculpture of the Last Supper. 

Lots to think about

Cathy

Oh Cathy you have sold me.  My next cruise could be one on Lake Como.    I think that I can get a direct flight Malaga - Milan.  

Despite being pretty sure that a land trip will come before another ‘real’ cruise, I will be back on board some day.  I too thought that Hurtigruten was expensive but I have looked them up and see 7 days from about the same as I would have spent on the Iona.  It may well be that as soon as this crisis is over they shoot up in price.  I know that it is not the same experience at all, but the idea of having a much smaller number of passengers sounds so much safer.  

If P&O cancel our November cruise I think we would like to go to Norway. It looks so beautiful and to be able to travel inside the Arctic circle as well. We only cruise once a year around  October/ November time so always choose the warmer climes. We've a cruise already booked for 2021 so this would be an opportunity for us to have the best of both worlds.

Avril 

• Like 1

On 4/19/2020 at 9:30 AM, ollienbertsmum said:

...My main wishlist cruise is my upcoming Iona cruise.  Not cancelled by P and O yet but we won’t be going.  We cannot risk the flights being cancelled potential cancelled ports - and as a healthcare worker we still have all annual leave cancelled anyway.  I decided that a cruise to Norway needed to be at the top of my wishlist after the cruise to ALaska when I was blown away by the scenery...  

Do you work at St Bernard's by any chance?  I worked in the NHS here in the UK and a few years back my immediate boss was the Director of Nursing. They left whilst I was there to become DofN for the Gib Health Service.

1 hour ago, Britboys said:

Do you work at St Bernard's by any chance?  I worked in the NHS here in the UK and a few years back my immediate boss was the Director of Nursing. They left whilst I was there to become DofN for the Gib Health Service.

My service is based at the Children’s Health Centre rather than St Bernards.  I am an AHP.  We do only have one hospital - apart from the newly set-up Nightingale hospital which is fully staffed but we have not needed it yet.  

I think I know who you are referring to.  She left us in about 2013, into academia I think but not sure where to because our paths rarely crossed.  I am doing a research degree at the moment but I would hate to teach.  My fix of patient contact is what gets me out of bed in the morning.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ollienbertsmum said:

My service is based at the Children’s Health Centre rather than St Bernards.  I am an AHP.  We do only have one hospital - apart from the newly set-up Nightingale hospital which is fully staffed but we have not needed it yet.  

I think I know who you are referring to.  She left us in about 2013, into academia I think but not sure where to because our paths rarely crossed.  I am doing a research degree at the moment but I would hate to teach.  My fix of patient contact is what gets me out of bed in the morning.  

Yes, I think we are indeed referring to the same person.  Good luck with the degree!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I have always wanted to cruise along the Caldon Canal and the Tent and Mersey Canal.  You cannot beat the peace and tranquillity of these lovely areas and no giant tortoises chasing you to worry about.

Regards John

58 minutes ago, john watson said:

I have always wanted to cruise along the Caldon Canal and the Tent and Mersey Canal.  You cannot beat the peace and tranquillity of these lovely areas and no giant tortoises chasing you to worry about.

Regards John

I am sure the Stokies on here will make you very welcome John. Let us know when you are planning to arrive and we could rustle up a small welcome committee.

58 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I am sure the Stokies on here will make you very welcome John. Let us know when you are planning to arrive and we could rustle up a small welcome committee.

I've actually done part of the Trent and Mersey. The locks can be sods though - Mrs W had a real struggle opening them!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, john watson said:

Regards John

Fantastic walks along both canals.  One of our favourite things to do on a fine day is to drive to somewhere along the canal and park and go for a couple of miles walk.  We try to either park near to a canal side pub or to walk to a pub for lunch before walking back to the car.

Edited by Josy1953

• 1 month later...
On 4/18/2020 at 9:45 AM, pete14 said:

Norway is undoubtably a beautiful country and the fjords are best seen and appreciated from the water.

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread as I know it annoys some, but I didn't want to start a new one just for a little advice about Norway. 

We've transferred our November deposit to a Norway and Fjords cruise sailing 25th June 2021. This is an entirely new area for us and it is giving us something different and exciting  to plan and look forward to. The ports we will visit are:-

Stavanger

Olden

Leknes Lofoten Islands 

Tromso

Kristandsund

Andalsnes 

Bergen.

Also cruising three fjords. 

I would be grateful for any advice regarding ports,  taking into account that we're not too sprightly on our pins now and can't walk very far, but would like to see as much as we can. Also the currency. I know that cards are the way to go in Norway, but even for a coffee? Thanking you in advance😊

Avril 

Stavanger - take the P&O trip to FLOR & FJÆRE gardens (brief boat trip to beautiful ‘subtropical’ gardens).  Absolutely stunning

I don’t normally recommend excursions.  I think this one is beautiful.  Maybe I am biased by it being a beautiful day when we went.  More Caribbean than Scandinavian

Kristiansand - we’ll, it’s really pretty but it’s small and if you are there on a Sunday, as we were, it will be CLOSED 

Yes, cards for everything, even coffee

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Kristiansand - we’ll, it’s really pretty but it’s small and if you are there on a Sunday, as we were, it will be CLOSED 

Thank you Eddie,  I've just checked and we're there on  Saturday. I know some places will be small enough for us

to easily walk around, but if we want to see more it's seems as if we may need to go further afield so will have to do some excursions. We don't normally  but as it's somewhere new and will want to see as much as possible we may have to.

Avril 

25 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread as I know it annoys some, but I didn't want to start a new one just for a little advice about Norway. 

We've transferred our November deposit to a Norway and Fjords cruise sailing 25th June 2021. This is an entirely new area for us and it is giving us something different and exciting  to plan and look forward to. The ports we will visit are:-

Stavanger

Olden

Leknes Lofoten Islands 

Tromso

Kristandsund

Andalsnes 

Bergen.

Also cruising three fjords. 

I would be grateful for any advice regarding ports,  taking into account that we're not too sprightly on our pins now and can't walk very far, but would like to see as much as we can. Also the currency. I know that cards are the way to go in Norway, but even for a coffee? Thanking you in advance😊

Avril 

We were due to do the Troll car waterfall excursion from Olden this summer, I think someone on here said it wasn't worth it but my parents wouldn't have managed the walk so all being well we will rebook  the same excursion for next June.

My daughter took the Pulpit Rock boat trip from Stavanger and enjoyed it but some of her fellow cruise passengers told her how much they had enjoyed the  Flor og Fjaere gardens trip, said it was beautiful.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

We were due to do the Troll car waterfall excursion from Olden this summer, I think someone on here said it wasn't worth it but my parents wouldn't have managed the walk so all being well we will rebook  the same excursion for next June.

My daughter took the Pulpit Rock boat trip from Stavanger and enjoyed it but some of her fellow cruise passengers told her how much they had enjoyed the  Flor og Fjaere gardens trip, said it was beautiful.

Eddie mentioned the gardens too and how pretty they are. No two people like the same things so I'm going to take note of everything that's recommended and look at the excursions to see what suits us. I feel like a kid at Christmas. I'm so much looking forward to seeing scenic Norway. I was disappointed that we had to cancel November's cruise, but if this gets cancelled I shall be really upset.

Avril 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Eddie mentioned the gardens too and how pretty they are. No two people like the same things so I'm going to take note of everything that's recommended and look at the excursions to see what suits us. I feel like a kid at Christmas. I'm so much looking forward to seeing scenic Norway. I was disappointed that we had to cancel November's cruise, but if this gets cancelled I shall be really upset.

Avril 

We'll be in Norway the week before you. Just for a week though, on Iona. We're visiting Stavanger, Olden, Geiranger and Haugesund (Would have been Bergen if it was this year) 

I feel the same, I was philosophical about missing out this year, but will be more upset if next year's is cancelled too. 

50 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

We'll be in Norway the week before you. Just for a week though, on Iona. We're visiting Stavanger, Olden, Geiranger and Haugesund (Would have been Bergen if it was this year) 

I feel the same, I was philosophical about missing out this year, but will be more upset if next year's is cancelled too. 

We've read a fews posts on here and each one says how beautiful Norway is. It was somewhere that we had considered once or twice, but as we like longer cruises October /November time we left it. This cancellation plus the October 2021 cruised already booked the decision was obvious. Every cloud.....

Avril 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, happy v said:

Not feeling too well so a short reply to also recommend Flor and Fjdaere. (not sure of the correct name). Google them. We go every time we are in Stavanger and they are stunning, even in the rain.

I hope you feel better soon. 

Andy 

• Like 2