Over 70 requirements?

janetz

26 minutes ago, janetz said:

Is Princess implementing a policy that if you are over 70 you need a ok from your physician to cruise?

i tried to do a search and did not see it mentioned

Thanks ahead 😊

So far, no. We do not know what will happen in the future but if Princess does bring in this requirement, I doubt that it will be overly restrictive. If they made it too difficult for over-70s to cruise, they would lose a good proportion of their passengers and they will need every one they can get when they are able to start up again.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

If they made it too difficult for over-70s to cruise, they would lose a good proportion of their passengers and they will need every one they can get when they are able to start up again.

The median age of passengers on the Grand Princess on its most recent sailing was 66, according to the CDC, and the ship had 1,200 passengers older than 70.

source:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/04/20/grand-princess-cruisers-waited-weeks-coronavirus-test-results/5162904002/

4 hours ago, caribill said:

The median age of passengers on the Grand Princess on its most recent sailing was 66, according to the CDC, and the ship had 1,200 passengers older than 70.

source:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2020/04/20/grand-princess-cruisers-waited-weeks-coronavirus-test-results/5162904002/

The median age can be 66, but all it takes is several people in their 20s, or 30s and it drops the average, even though the ship had 1,200 passengers older than 70.

😊 I am not to worried as we are both very healthy, just curious

I believe those requirements made by other cruise lines, as this mess was getting started will not be in effect once the cruise industry gets going again. 😊

Just my opinion 

• Like 2

Princess is a CLIA member:

COVID-19 is a new disease and there is limited information regarding risk factors for severe disease. Based on currently available information and clinical expertise, older adults and people of any age who have serious underlying medical conditions might be at higher risk for severe illness from COVID-19.

Based on what we know now, those at high-risk for severe illness from COVID-19 are:

People of all ages with underlying medical conditions, particularly if not well controlled, including:

• People with chronic lung disease or moderate to severe asthma
  • People who have serious heart conditions
  • People who are immunocompromised
    • Many conditions can cause a person to be immunocompromised, including cancer treatment, smoking, bone marrow or organ transplantation, immune deficiencies, poorly controlled HIV or AIDS, and prolonged use of corticosteroids and other immune weakening medications
  • People with severe obesity (body mass index [BMI] of 40 or higher)
  • People with diabetes
  • People with chronic kidney disease undergoing dialysis
  • People with liver disease

CLIA:

General Pre-Boarding Health Screening

All embarking persons are to receive pre-boarding health screening, to assist in preventing the spread of communicable diseases.

In light of recent developments related to COVID-19 the policy has been amended with preventative measures applicable to crew and others that board ships while passenger services are suspended. These measures are under constant review. Additional measures applicable to passengers will be considered as the industry approaches resuming passenger operations.

Deny boarding to all persons with severe chronic medical conditions, including those specified by the U.S. CDC https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/specific-groups/high-risk-complications.html

Conduct illness screening for all persons. Illness screening will include symptom history checks for fever, cough and difficulty breathing in the 14 days before embarkation and the taking of the person’s temperature. Any individual with a temperature reading at or above 100.4 degrees F / 38 degrees C is to be denied boarding.

Deny boarding to all persons who, within 14 days prior to embarkation, have had contact with, or helped care for, anyone suspected or diagnosed as having COVID-19, or who are currently subject to health monitoring for possible exposure to COVID-19.

Conduct pre-boarding screening necessary to effectuate these prevention measures. Enhanced screening and initial medical support are to be provided, as needed, to any persons exhibiting symptoms of suspected COVID-19.

This policy may be updated upon approval of the Global Executive Committee to reflect evolving developments and/or guidance from responsible public health authorities. 

https://cruising.org/about-the-industry/policy-priorities/cruise-industry-policies/Health

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

The median age can be 66, but all it takes is several people in their 20s, or 30s and it drops the average, even though the ship had 1,200 passengers older than 70.

Median and average are two different measurements.

• Like 2

The CDC guidance is a temporary guidance; and most likely will be amended after the virus is under control.  Until then we wait and see.  No one is cruising so the age thing means nothing right now.  Once the cruise lines get permission to start cruising again; they will post the new rules.  I don't want to second guess what the new rules will be;  they change daily.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are long term Princess cruisers, next cruise we will have 30 cruises.  In all the time we have cruised we have only used the medical center on board 2 times.  Once for a insect bite and another for an ear infection, even though we are both over 70.   We are both in good health with well managed health issues.  No problem getting a doctor letter.  Regardless, I don't see us cruising til maybe 2022... we will wait to see what happens to the cruise experience.  If it changes too much, we may just opt out because we want to avoid the hassle.  Traveling through airports has already gotten to the point we resist flying as much as possible.    The money we use to travel we can stay home and live very well.  We have well over 60 cruises on 9 different lines over the years.. so we have seen what we wanted already.  Cruising need to be a pleasant experience for us to continue going. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LDVinNC said:

Median and average are two different measurements.

Well, not exactly. Median and mean are what you are referring too if my statistics class from 40 years ago is still correct. Both are different ways of calculating an average. But in general use I admit "average" is used when "mean" is intended.

36 minutes ago, Earthworm Jim said:

Well, not exactly. Median and mean are what you are referring too if my statistics class from 40 years ago is still correct. Both are different ways of calculating an average. But in general use I admit "average" is used when "mean" is intended.

Mean, expected value and average are essentially the same thing. Sum all the population samples and divide by the number of samples.

Median is the middle value of an ordered list of population samples. It is useful when a few exceedingly large values can skew the mean value.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, beg3yrs said:

Mean, expected value and average are essentially the same thing. Sum all the population samples and divide by the number of samples.

Median is the middle value of an ordered list of population samples. It is useful when a few exceedingly large values can skew the mean value.

From a random Googled site: "Mean, median, and mode are three kinds of "averages". There are many "averages" in statistics, but these are, I think, the three most common."

But we've significantly digressed from the OPs question. Mea culpa. I'll shut up now.

• Like 1

this is a very wrong statement: "From a random Googled site: "Mean, median, and mode are three kinds of "averages". There are many "averages" in statistics, but these are, I think, the three most common."

Mean is the commonly used average: you add up all the values and divide by the number in the sample.

Median is the value that is middle of all the values: half the values are larger than the median and half the values of less than the median.  

Mode is the value that occurs most often.

Assume a table of values of 1,3,7,10,100,100,200

Mean = (1+3+7+10+100+1009+200)/7 = 421/7 = 60.14

Median = 10 (there are 3 values smaller than 10 and 3 values larger than 10)

Mode = 100 since this appears twice and all other values appear once

So, Mean = 60.14, Median = 10 and Mode =100

Edited by CruisingAlong4Now
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, CruisingAlong4Now said:

this is a very wrong statement: "From a random Googled site: "Mean, median, and mode are three kinds of "averages". There are many "averages" in statistics, but these are, I think, the three most common."

Mean is the commonly used average: you add up all the values and divide by the number in the sample.

Median is the value that is middle of all the values: half the values are larger than the median and half the values of less than the median.  

Mode is the value that occurs most often.

Assume a table of values of 1,3,7,10,100,100,200

Mean = (1+3+7+10+100+1009+200)/7 = 421/7 = 60.14

Median = 10 (there are 3 values smaller than 10 and 3 values larger than 10)

Mode = 100 since this appears twice and all other values appear once

So, Mean = 60.14, Median = 10 and Mode =100

Isn't this fun? Since we cannot cruise, mental exercises are good ways to spend our time. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

I’ll accept that two 100 year olds could be on a Princess Cruise, but if there is a 200 year old that has to be a Holland America cruise. 

Based on our multiple cruise experiences on a variety of lines, I'd say that Cunard would be more accurate in regard to the above statement! 😉

• Haha 1

Just got an email from Princess about new procedures when sailing resumes. Boarding will be denied to passengers or crew with severe, chronic underlying conditions. No mention of age. Wonder how they will implement that?