Cruising out of Bayonne in March

Has anyone cruised out of Bayonne in March?  If so can you tell me if the waters are rough that time of year or about the same as the rest of the year.  I know the first night out of Bayonne can be a little rough.  I have friends looking to sail on the Anthem next March.  Any insights would help.  Thanks in advance.

Large ship, water can or can not be rough. Ship handles it pretty well. Take some mecalizine day before sailing and you won't have an issue. large ship though, like a moving hotel. Doubt you will notice you are moving 90 per cent of the time.

• Like 1

You just never know what the weather will be.    I have sailed out of both Cape Liberty and Baltimore in March and majority of the time I have had no problem.     There was only one time when we were cruising back up the coast and a bad storm was along the coastline and we had some rough seas and high winds but that can happen anytime of the year and you hardly feel it on the Anthem due to the size of the ship.    I am booked for March 28th cruise on Anthem and thinking about doing a b2b.     Anthem is a nice ship and has a lot to offer.   We love the bumper cars.

4 hours ago, patticakes40 said:

Has anyone cruised out of Bayonne in March?  If so can you tell me if the waters are rough that time of year or about the same as the rest of the year.  I know the first night out of Bayonne can be a little rough.  I have friends looking to sail on the Anthem next March.  Any insights would help.  Thanks in advance.

The water conditions are totally dependent on the weather. You'll know a few days before your cruise on what the weather will be like. You also have the challenge of having wintry weather (can you say blizzard) to deal with in getting to/from the port. 

My brother did the cruise in March and it was extremely cold until they arrived in the Caribbean.  He has two little children and they insisted going out to the pool even though their teeth were chattering and their lips were turning blue.   The cruise staff got a big kick out of watching the two of them every day.  

You may need to prepare for both cold and hot weather if you like to stroll the decks--similar to an Alaska cruise in summer.

3 minutes ago, LibertyBella said:

My brother did the cruise in March and it was extremely cold until they arrived in the Caribbean.  He has two little children and they insisted going out to the pool even though their teeth were chattering and their lips were turning blue.   The cruise staff got a big kick out of watching the two of them every day.  

You may need to prepare for both cold and hot weather if you like to stroll the decks--similar to an Alaska cruise in summer.

The Anthem has an indoor family pool.  😊

Great port to sail from.

Embarkation is just about the easiest and fastest of any port.

Sailed from there in January, February and March.

Next day the weather warms up and just gets better each day.

Sailed with snow and ice on the decks and warm enough for shorts 18-24 hours after sail away.

We've seen it pool  table smooth and 16 foot waves. the Anthem is a very stable ship.

Kids will have a total ball.

We sailed on the Anthem in March, definitely a little cool the 1st day out and the last day back.  We went to Port Canaveral so water not too bad once you pass Cape Hatteras.   The Anthem was built for cooler weather so there are more indoor pools and entertainment areas.  I probably would not choose March again, we had to bring too many clothes for the wide temperature ranges.  March in NJ could be in anywhere from the 30's to the 60's.  We did not go out on our balcony until we got to Port Canaveral.

It's going to depend on the weather. This year March was mild. We sat on our front porch in the afternoon and didn't need a coat or jacket. April was cold and we had snow flurries the beginning of May. If you get a nor'easter in March the ship will toss and turn. As far as the first two days being cold it shouldn't matter as the Anthem is a cold weather ship. They have an indoor pool and the Adult solarium.  The outside deck or your balcony may be windy or cold but there is Cafe 270 which is an indoor entertainment area that offers food in the Cafe and a bar in the seating area. It also has a beautiful Aft view.

64317190_10157071964940726_8304908355940384768_o.jpg

I have sailed in March the last 8 years out of Bayonne.  I've see two different extremes - from very warm to freezing cold and everything in between,  These are two different sailings on the last day coming back.

anthem last sea day..jpg

Anthem ice.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gaylemh said:

I have sailed in March the last 8 years out of Bayonne.  I've see two different extremes - from very warm to freezing cold and everything in between,  These are two different sailings on the last day coming back.

anthem last sea day..jpg

Anthem ice.jpg

Great contrasting pics, Gayle!

6 hours ago, LibertyBella said:

Yeah never know. I remember being in Orlando end of April having to wear Jackets sweatshirts and Jeans to Disney. Weather happens, though rare have felt waves and ship put out Barf bags every Season at least couple times.

Edited by ONECRUISER

The colder the water, the more motion. You will notice it as you go south. 

March weather is unpredictable. You can have a nor'easter, snow. Or beautiful spring day. Ya know that old saying if it comes in like a lion it goes out like a lamb and visa versa. 

10 hours ago, gaylemh said:

anthem last sea day..jpg

Anthem ice.jpg

Well that about sums it up.

• Like 1