Steakhouse or Chef's Table? Difficulty = Birthday Dinner

Don Kehote

I'm curious as to your thoughts.  We have done the Chef's Table before, and loved it.  Next cruise is the first time we've had a Steakhouse available (Legend), and I'd like to know how you feel about the setting.

My thoughts are that the steakhouse will be a LOT more intimate.  How does it compare to Chef's Table, service/food wise?

Thanks in advance!

If you want somewhat intimate I'd suggest the Steakhouse.

We have had excellent service there except one time when it was squarely between disappointing and mediocre.  We chalked that up to a crewmember having a bad day.

The food is subjective of course.  I didn't find the beef was consistently high quality.  After my second tough fillet mignon I never returned.  My companions were generally quite satisfied with their entrees but not to the point any ever asked to go back.

This sounds like a "bad review" but I don't mean it that way.  We have enjoyed ourselves every time and though I probably won't go back I would actually recommend it for a special occasion.  The chef prepares one of the best examples of steak tartare I have ever had.

Steakhouse would be more intimate but I have been more impressed with Chef's Table food.  Maybe because it's smaller bites compared to Steakhouse large portions.  DH agreed with me about the food between CT and Steakhouse, but he said "CT serves a huge amount of food" as in courses.  So I see "big" in one way and DH another. Hmmmm...

Either way you should have a great birthday dinner!!🎂

Edited by ninjacat123

3 hours ago, Don Kehote said:

I'm curious as to your thoughts.  We have done the Chef's Table before, and loved it.  Next cruise is the first time we've had a Steakhouse available (Legend), and I'd like to know how you feel about the setting.

My thoughts are that the steakhouse will be a LOT more intimate.  How does it compare to Chef's Table, service/food wise?

Thanks in advance!

Carnivals steak is the very best you can have. We were never disappointed. Always excellent and so many courses you really will have a hard time eating them all. I think they raised the price considerably. Most cruise lines have,. Not sure buy I think I saw $39.00 that includes the gratuities. I also think. A FREE bottle of whine the first evening. many are fussy on wine selection so they offer 1/2 off your choice also. We enjoyed the inexpensive red wine. Tasted good to us.

• Like 1

The Legend has the same layout as the Miracle, correct?  The reason I'm asking is my one and only experience with eating in the Steakhouse 🥩 was on the Miracle this past February.  I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and ordered the Dover Sole - excellent.  There were a few parties dining at the same time who were celebrating birthdays, anniversaries, and weddings. 

The Steakhouse on the Miracle opens out onto the Atrium, which has live music in the evening.  The evening I was there a Canadian couple were the performers, and they sang country music.  Obviously, given where I live 🎸, this wasn't a problem, but it may not have been everyone's cup of tea 🍵

42 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Not sure but I think I saw $39.00 that includes the gratuities. I also think. A FREE bottle of whine the first evening. many are fussy on wine selection so they offer 1/2 off your choice also. We enjoyed the inexpensive red wine. Tasted good to us.

That was what I paid back in February.  I ate there the 1st night, and enjoyed the house white wine.  

15 hours ago, Roz said:

The Legend has the same layout as the Miracle, correct?  The reason I'm asking is my one and only experience with eating in the Steakhouse 🥩 was on the Miracle this past February.  I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and ordered the Dover Sole - excellent.  There were a few parties dining at the same time who were celebrating birthdays, anniversaries, and weddings. 

The Steakhouse on the Miracle opens out onto the Atrium, which has live music in the evening.  The evening I was there a Canadian couple were the performers, and they sang country music.  Obviously, given where I live 🎸, this wasn't a problem, but it may not have been everyone's cup of tea 🍵

They are the same layout.  

• Like 1

Honestly, they are both great experiences. The edge would probably depend on the person. I definitely know of people that would prefer the steakhouse, and the same for the chef's table.

Personally, I would take the steakhouse. Can't go wrong with a good birthday ribeye!

When we did the CT it was on The Dream.  The CT was held in the galley and it was not a pleasant environment.  We really looked forward to hearing about each entree and we couldn't here a thing because it was so loud.  For a special occasion I would go with the Steakhouse.

1 hour ago, Tutontow said:

When we did the CT it was on The Dream.  The CT was held in the galley and it was not a pleasant environment.  We really looked forward to hearing about each entree and we couldn't here a thing because it was so loud.  For a special occasion I would go with the Steakhouse.

We had this same experience on the Breeze.  The noise level was annoying.

I don't know where it's held on the Legend but that would be a consideration.

To me steak is steak.  Steak house is not great , NYC stake house food.  You are not also paying NYC prices.  CT is just better food.  New type food vs old steak.   You sit with a group of strangers, but you make friends fast 

believe me, steak is not just steak. Dry aged beef is not a select Kroger steak. The Steakhouse and the Chef's Table are completely different, really nothing to compare. The Steakhouse is excellent, never had anything that was not delicious. The Chef's Table is a culinary experience

• Like 1

We did it once and I have to say it was amazing however would I do it again, No, it was so much food even though it is small portions and it took up most of our evening. We love the steakhouse and usually eat there our first and last night on the ship

2 hours ago, coevan said:

believe me, steak is not just steak. Dry aged beef is not a select Kroger steak. The Steakhouse and the Chef's Table are completely different, really nothing to compare. The Steakhouse is excellent, never had anything that was not delicious. The Chef's Table is a culinary experience

Chef's table, awesome for those that are an expert in food and want to spend the high price. That is not our cup of tea so to speak.  We know what tastes great to us and what we enjoy. We have enjoyed every steak we ever had at the steak house. I am not interested in anything that might be better. I probably could not tell the difference. However, There is NO steak house on land that we ever went, at any price that was anywhere near as good as Carnivals Steak, I wish there was. Always perfect and an excellent cut of steak, never disappointed, the amount of food they give you, the excellent service we always receive. Plus the low price which includes the gratuity. The first night FREE bottle of wine or 50% off of your choice. What more could you want?

Have done the Chef's Table several times and while it is a great experience I wouldn't choose it for a celebration dinner.

I think you will enjoy the Steakhouse on the Legend.  We dined there twice on our cruise on the Legend back in February and the food was great as is the atmosphere.  It is a much better venue for a family celebration.

• Like 1