Will Florida cruises start back up in August?

59 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

Tell him about Bayfront in St Pete - sounds like the nurses there are getting hit by Covid (along with other complaints about lack of PPE, etc.):

Nurse in COVID-19 ICU quits after colleagues get sick at St. Petersburg hospital

Bayfront Health St. Pete confirms 24 staff members sick

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/region-pinellas/nurse-in-covid-19-icu-unit-quits-after-colleagues-get-sick-at-st-petersburg-hospital

Did you read the article you posted. It seems to me this was about PPE and Hospital Administration. Nothing to do with increased COVID19 admissions. 

M8

Just now, Milwaukee Eight said:

Did you read the article you posted. It seems to me this was about PPE and Hospital Administration. Nothing to do with increased COVID19 admissions. 

M8

Yes, sorry my post was confusing - I was not answering about admissions, just that you mentioned your son was a nurse and I thought he might be interested in that article.  Just being friendly. 🙂 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SeaHunt said:

Yes, sorry my post was confusing - I was not answering about admissions, just that you mentioned your son was a nurse and I thought he might be interested in that article.  Just being friendly. 🙂 

Ah. Thanks. 

I talk to him every other day or so. In the beginning, he was scared and probably more fearful for me. Miami-Jackson created 3 floors for COVID19 cases that were never needed. They expanded the ICU beds but never needed them. I don’t doubt cases are increasing. Just haven’t seen an increase in hospitalizations or ICU cases with my two resources. 

Again thanks. M8

• Like 1

The number of cases is inconsequential for when cruising can resume.  The key questions that need to be answered are how do you reliably prevent infected people from boarding the ship, and what do you do when cases inevitably pop up during a sailing?  The easy answer is only allow immune people onboard, whether via a vaccine or antibodies.  However, like the rest of the economy, the cruise industry cannot be expected to survive if they remain shutdown indefinitely.

An action plan will be developed and cruises will gradually resume even before cases drop to zero.  Many people won't cruise, but there are enough out there willing to assume the risk to allow the cruise lines to start generating some revenue rather than keep hemorrhaging cash.  It may not be August, but I feel it will happen this fall.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Since Florida is on the upswing with covid, doubt it.

I read an article that said Florida was getting a 2.7% positive test rate prior to opening Florida. Since the start of opening, it has risen to 3.8%. Not a huge change but with more testing it was likely the numbers increased. Anyone can get tested. No longer any requirements as in the beginning. Any age, no symptoms, you can get tested. Florida doesn’t seem to have good numbers for hospitalizations, those in ICU or on ventilators. These would be the numbers to watch. We don’t have an increase with any of these here where I live (we don’t live under a dome) or according to my son, ICU Nurse Miami-Jackson. We continue to have issues with long term care facilities. These are the major source of deaths and admissions. Most of these people already have health issues and are older age. 

M8

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Anyone can get tested. No longer any requirements as in the beginning. Any age, no symptoms, you can get tested. Florida doesn’t seem to have good numbers for hospitalizations, those in ICU or on ventilators. These would be the numbers to watch. We don’t have an increase with any of these here where I live (we don’t live under a dome) or according to my son, ICU Nurse Miami-Jackson. We continue to have issues with long term care facilities. These are the major source of deaths and admissions. Most of these people already have health issues and are older age. 

M8

What would be the advantage to being tested?  I am 68, my SO is 71, and neither of us have any underlying conditions.  We feel positive that my SO had COVID with light symptoms (dry cough and mild exhaustion for five days) in late January, after attending a concert at Busch Gardens in a huge crowd.  Who pays for the testing?  My concern is that testing would be allowed only once and I would like to wait until antibody tests are improved and there might be an advantage to a positive antibody test(such as being allowed on a cruise ship).  I don’t want to waste the testing opportunity if there is nothing to gain at this time.

4 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

What would be the advantage to being tested?  I am 68, my SO is 71, and neither of us have any underlying conditions.  We feel positive that my SO had COVID with light symptoms (dry cough and mild exhaustion for five days) in late January, after attending a concert at Busch Gardens in a huge crowd.  Who pays for the testing?  My concern is that testing would be allowed only once and I would like to wait until antibody tests are improved and there might be an advantage to a positive antibody test(such as being allowed on a cruise ship).  I don’t want to waste the testing opportunity if there is nothing to gain at this time.

You can get tested as many times as you want, at no cost to you.

3 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

what your looking for is a serology test and your insurance will pay for it right now.  I had mine done a couple weeks ago because i experienced the same symptoms, but no such luck on having the antibodies.  

Now, will your insurance cover your covid or antibody test so you can get on a cruise ship, probably not so the cruise line or you will have to pick that up.  Covid (PCR) test is about $120 and Antibody (Serology) is about $50. 

10 minutes ago, 20165 said:

what your looking for is a serology test and your insurance will pay for it right now.  I had mine done a couple weeks ago because i experienced the same symptoms, but no such luck on having the antibodies.  

Now, will your insurance cover your covid or antibody test so you can get on a cruise ship, probably not so the cruise line or you will have to pick that up.  Covid (PCR) test is about $120 and Antibody (Serology) is about $50. 

It is good to know the approximate cost, thank you.  If we were to test positive for antibodies, we would not change anything we are doing (masks, frequent hand sanitizer, heading directly to the car after pool aerobics to avoid the locker room, etc.), so it is probably best for us to wait until the tests are possibly improved/more accurate and there might be a reason to have the results.   I am curious, but that is about it.

1 hour ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

Don’t know the answer why people choose to get tested. Please ask my 86 yo mother who has gone to get tested 4 times and is negative.  I believe she does this to get out and socialize. Lol

Your Medicare pays for the test.  

Peace

M8

3 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Don’t know the answer why people choose to get tested. Please ask my 86 yo mother who has gone to get tested 4 times and is negative.  I believe she does this to get out and socialize. Lol

Your Medicare pays for the test.  

Peace

M8

I don't follow that either.  Also just because you are negative today doesn't mean that you would be next week or the week after that etc

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, SeaHunt said:

Tell him about Bayfront in St Pete - sounds like the nurses there are getting hit by Covid (along with other complaints about lack of PPE, etc.):

Nurse in COVID-19 ICU quits after colleagues get sick at St. Petersburg hospital

Bayfront Health St. Pete confirms 24 staff members sick

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/region-pinellas/nurse-in-covid-19-icu-unit-quits-after-colleagues-get-sick-at-st-petersburg-hospital

I read this article. It has nothing to do with the number or increases of COVID19. Did you read the article? It’s a nurse complaining about PPE and hospital ADMINISTRATION. Reusing N95 masks. Sounded like a disgruntled employee. I’m giving you facts. My boss rounds in 3 hospitals. One hospital still checks for temperature. The ICU and hospitals is not overrun with COVID19 cases. Testing numbers are up. From 2% to upper 3% but ANYONE may be tested. 

Show me data where this hospital had drastic increase in admissions or ICU related to COVID19. 

We definitely have issues with elderly and long term facilities 

M8

Cruises are set to resume in 7 weeks. 7 WEEKS!! You would think the cruise lines would announce their protocol & such with how they'll resume. Though it seemly less & less likely they'll actually be sailing come Aug. 1. I hope there's an announcement of some kind this week. Feel bad for anyone with a cruise booked in August.

2 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I read this article. It has nothing to do with the number or increases of COVID19. Did you read the article? It’s a nurse complaining about PPE and hospital ADMINISTRATION. Reusing N95 masks. Sounded like a disgruntled employee. I’m giving you facts. My boss rounds in 3 hospitals. One hospital still checks for temperature. The ICU and hospitals is not overrun with COVID19 cases. Testing numbers are up. From 2% to upper 3% but ANYONE may be tested. 

Show me data where this hospital had drastic increase in admissions or ICU related to COVID19. 

We definitely have issues with elderly and long term facilities 

M8

Umm please scroll back up to your post # 304 - I thought I already apologized about this?  🙃

• Like 2

2 hours ago, toad455 said:

Cruises are set to resume in 7 weeks. 7 WEEKS!! You would think the cruise lines would announce their protocol & such with how they'll resume. 

One of the major obstacles facing the cruise lines is how to deal with the mandated Muster Drill with social distancing

still in play. We all know what the elevators are like at the conclusion of the drill. The only thing that makes sense is having all passengers instructed to return to their rooms and watch the drill televised. Room stewards would then have each person sign a iPad confirming they had watched it before allowing them to exit.

One of many issues I know.  

3 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

You’re correct. Sorry. I thought this was someone else. My apologies. 

No problemo 😁

And I think I saw on another thread that it's your birthday - here's a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you!

• Thanks 1

Even though August sounds very promising, I would really aim at this particular period. If you watched the news, you should know that major cruise companies are planning to move their cruises to late Autumn. Also there might be a second break out which will only worsen the situation 

1 hour ago, atanac said:

One of the major obstacles facing the cruise lines is how to deal with the mandated Muster Drill with social distancing

still in play. We all know what the elevators are like at the conclusion of the drill. The only thing that makes sense is having all passengers instructed to return to their rooms and watch the drill televised. Room stewards would then have each person sign a iPad confirming they had watched it before allowing them to exit.

One of many issues I know.  

This seems like a pretty easy solution for the muster drill.

17 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

This seems like a pretty easy solution for the muster drill.

There is no easy solution for the muster drill.  It is mandated, as are the requirements for how it is conducted, by SOLAS agreement.

Can't be changed because a cruise company wants to put it on the television or your phone.

In fact, directly from the regulations:

The briefing may be included in the muster required by paragraph 2.2 if the muster is held immediately upon departure. Information cards or posters or video programmes displayed on ships video displays may be used to supplement the briefing, but may not be used to replace the announcement.

Edited by ECCruise
  • Like 1