Am I reading too much into this?

newyorker123

What a Joke! The Chinese are safe, but we Americans aren’t! Right!

The brilliance of Brexit is highly apparent. Get away from the clowns in Brussels!

Perhaps we need to bring a couple of our Army divisions home for good. Heavens forbid, we, the unclean, contaminate them! They can then pay for their own protection!

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

What a Joke! The Chinese are safe, but we Americans aren’t! Right!

Who's got the higher number of COVID and COVID deaths (before and now ) - you guessed it - we do.

45 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Perhaps we need to bring a couple of our Army divisions home for good. Heavens forbid, we, the unclean, contaminate them! They can then pay for their own protection!

Sure - first it's Crimea and Ukraine and nobody objected. Who is next - the Baltics or Poland and Hungary (both under autocrats). Is that the right solution?

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Paul;

You believe the numbers provided to you by the Chinese Communist Party ( CCP)? 😂

If the Europeans don’t want us there, we should oblige them and come home. What did Germany, France, or any of the European countries do about Russia’s aggression? Germany started buying even more natural gas from Russia!  Yep, that was a huge statement!

I think a few new combat brigades from Denmark, Norway, Spain, Holland, and France to replace our troops is an excellent plan.

• Like 4

Sorry about the political diversion! 🤪

Back to the OP

Did anyone catch today’s webinar with Oceania? It was mostly all advertising and promotion but one thing really popped out. Jame, from Oceania, was talking about the R ships with a capacity of 600+. Then when talking about future cruises, he said a capacity of 400 passengers!

Both of us immediately perked up! Was that just a mistake or was he giving us an indication of the new capacity controls once they start back sailing? Time will tell! 

8 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Back to the OP

Did anyone catch today’s webinar with Oceania? It was mostly all advertising and promotion but one thing really popped out. Jame, from Oceania, was talking about the R ships with a capacity of 600+. Then when talking about future cruises, he said a capacity of 400 passengers!

Both of us immediately perked up! Was that just a mistake or was he giving us an indication of the new capacity controls once they start back sailing? Time will tell! 

So two thirds the capacity...I wonder if that will be the same for O ships. 

This really makes me wonder what will happen with my May Sirena cruise. The way things are going that really could be one of the first, especially as it is a European cruise. 

8 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Back to the OP

This was confirmed on the the late 2020 R cruise which we were booked. The cruise was wide open with only 1/2 sold.  When they issued their COVID resume plan, most categories except for B2 went to wait list.

1 hour ago, PaulMCO said:

This was confirmed on the the late 2020 R cruise which we were booked. The cruise was wide open with only 1/2 sold.  When they issued their COVID resume plan, most categories except for B2 went to wait list.

Interesting.  My 10/20 cruise did the same except all the higher categories that were open are now waitlisted.  When I asked if they were cruising with fewer people I was told it's a ship with less people lol.  Yes, it is but it's also a smaller ship.  I guess I have to wait and see but I'm not getting my hopes up.  This will be the third big cruise in a year and a half that is not going to happen for us.  If you guys are smart, don't book a ship we're on haha.

17 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Who's got the higher number of COVID and COVID deaths (before and now ) - you guessed it - we do.

The US has more cases and deaths but our deaths per million are below Belgium, UK, Italy, Sweden and France. Not a lot to be proud of in many countries.

Edited by Sea42
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Sea42 said:

The US has more cases and deaths but our deaths per million are below Belgium, UK, Italy, Sweden and France. Not a lot to be proud of in many countries.

Agree.

But here is the problem - look where our curve is heading compared to those other countries you mentioned. Brazil is the only other country with a significantly upward slope while most others have flattened their curve.

Also, while I am not 100% certain, it is my impression that none of them suffered the economic consequences and the high unemployment rate that we are seeing here. Many ways to interpret   numbers.

image.thumb.png.d5bdd88543609fc4e352e9612b5806f9.png

Edited by Paulchili

9 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

Did you actually get notice of a Covid resume plan.  I have noticed that all Nov and Dec cruises are totally waitlisted  except for an odd cabin that I think might be a cancellation that pops back into the inventory.

When they have waitlisted every cruise in the last few rounds, it ended up being an indication they would be cancelled.

Do you think this time is just to lower number of cabins sold?

I have been using this website as it is deaths per million so you can compare countries regardless of the size of the population.  
I have selected Belgium, Sweden, USA, & Brazil just for comparison.  You can play around with it.  

However, since the USA is so large, geographically, it is more complicated than smaller countries. 

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/covid-daily-deaths-trajectory-per-million?country=BEL~VGB~SWE~USA~BRA

1 minute ago, cruisingxpert said:

Did you actually get notice of a Covid resume plan.  I have noticed that all Nov and Dec cruises are totally waitlisted  except for an odd cabin that I think might be a cancellation that pops back into the inventory.

When they have waitlisted every cruise in the last few rounds, it ended up being an indication they would be cancelled.

One post there was talk of only taking on 400 passengers on the R class ships.  Is this true?  Who knows. 

3 minutes ago, KS&JW said:

One post there was talk of only taking on 400 passengers on the R class ships.  Is this true?  Who knows. 

Oceania did a Webinar yesterday at 5:00 ET. I was invited to listen in by my TA. Oceania’s representative, Jame, stated the 400 passenger number for R ships when talking about the resumption of sailing. 

Currently we have no way of knowing if that is the new capacity control number, of which they have previously spoken, or just an error. He gave no corresponding number for O ships. 

21 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

Not all of them.  We're on the Dec. 3rd cruise aboard the Riviera and it has 1 category still available.  Then I looked at the Dec. 20th sailing of the Riviera and it has 13 of 17 categories still available - it is a holiday sailing plus it looks a bit overpriced even by Oceania standards.  Logically, the waitlisted cabins may be results of Oceania limiting the capacity of the ships and people who have to use their Future Cruise Credits by the end of the year.  Myself, we booked this cruise with FCC given to us for our diverted cruise.   If we cancel, we lose our FCC unless we book another cruise sailing this year.  We are hoping (expecting?) Oceania will cancel our cruise so we can roll over the FCC to next year.  So, all those people who were sailing in March probably have FCC to use by end of this year,  Don't forget all those people whose cruises were canceled this year and chose FCC, instead of a refund, who booked cruises for later this year.  In all, it is getting messy.

52 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

Maybe they have w/l  some cruises  to see what the CDC or CLIA   wants cruise lines to do

So limiting the number of cabins available   until the powers that be decide how many  pax can be on the ships 

this might be  why

I am just guessing  of course

But if all cabins are not sold out then less people they have to bump/compensate  if the CDC  says  they have to sail at 50%  capacity

JMO

1 hour ago, KS&JW said:

I have been using this website as it is deaths per million so you can compare countries regardless of the size of the population.  
I have selected Belgium, Sweden, USA, & Brazil just for comparison.  You can play around with it.  

However, since the USA is so large, geographically, it is more complicated than smaller countries. 

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/covid-daily-deaths-trajectory-per-million?country=BEL~VGB~SWE~USA~BRA

I like that one a lot better - I just wonder who is really right?

In any case, the way we are handling it nationally is a total disaster.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, deadzone1003 said:

Not all of them.  We're on the Dec. 3rd cruise aboard the Riviera and it has 1 category still available.  Then I looked at the Dec. 20th sailing of the Riviera and it has 13 of 17 categories still available - it is a holiday sailing plus it looks a bit overpriced even by Oceania standards.  Logically, the waitlisted cabins may be results of Oceania limiting the capacity of the ships and people who have to use their Future Cruise Credits by the end of the year.  Myself, we booked this cruise with FCC given to us for our diverted cruise.   If we cancel, we lose our FCC unless we book another cruise sailing this year.  We are hoping (expecting?) Oceania will cancel our cruise so we can roll over the FCC to next year.  So, all those people who were sailing in March probably have FCC to use by end of this year,  Don't forget all those people whose cruises were canceled this year and chose FCC, instead of a refund, who booked cruises for later this year.  In all, it is getting messy.

You might want to check with Oceania on the rules for the FCC for the lost cruises in March. 

Yes O originally said that this would have to be booked and used in 2020.  But I just had my 26 Oct cruise cancelled and when I put a list of questions to my TA he passed them to O and the following response came back that they were good through 2022??

(I know I was under the same impression good through 2020 but who knows since they keep cancelling cruises each month)..

3 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

You might want to check with Oceania on the rules for the FCC for the lost cruises in March. 

Yes O originally said that this would have to be booked and used in 2020.  But I just had my 26 Oct cruise cancelled and when I put a list of questions to my TA he passed them to O and the following response came back that they were good through 2022??

(I know I was under the same impression good through 2020 but who knows since they keep cancelling cruises each month)..

Thanks for the info.  It is opening a can of worms if Oceania cancels your cruise and you can't book another cruise  unless it is some cruise that is unaffordable to you in 2020.  I actually expected Oceania (if they cancel my Dec 2020 cruise) to extend the validity of the FCC to just through 2021, not 2022. 

I thought that from the get-go in mid-March that you had to book to use your FCC within a year of the original cruise date but always could sail anytime within calendar year 2021.

Am I wrong?  I easily could be because we fortunately cruised right before the pandemic shutdown and usually book our cruises far less than a year in advance so did not have any cruises cancelled.

Edited by CintiPam

8 hours ago, Paulchili said:

look where our curve is heading compared to those other countries you mentioned

Thanks, sir. If I were ANY country I wouldn't allow people from the US to enter. We already can't go to Canada or Mexico. Where else? We're a big effing mess. 

25 minutes ago, CintiPam said:

I thought that from the get-go in mid-March that you had to book to use your FCC within a year of the original cruise date but always could sail anytime within calendar year 2021.

Am I wrong?  I easily could be because we fortunately cruised right before the pandemic shutdown and usually book our cruises far less than a year in advance so did not have any cruises cancelled.

Pam

There were so many different offers going on  that  it must be confusing  to all

I though the March cancellations  FCC  had to sail before March 2021  or at least book by then & sail by Dec

it is probably in a post someplace here LOL

On 6/24/2020 at 11:09 AM, pinotlover said:

Back to the OP

I participated in the Australian version of the webinar today.  The comment was made that O was waiting for CDC requirements, but cruising with 70 - 80% of capacity might be expected.

Add this to the confusion --

Let's say you booked a cruise with FCC, made your final payment and the cruise is cancelled by O due to COVID.

What would happen??  This was our case two cancelled FCC's plus some small money (under 1K) equals a large 10K cruise.amount.

Oceania considers the FCC used. And a new FCC is issued for 10K less taxes (which you get back in cash) multiplied by 125%.

I find this strange, but highly acceptable.  At least that is what O stated to my TA and I have this in writing from them as I was on cc:

21 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

Add this to the confusion --

Let's say you booked a cruise with FCC, made your final payment and the cruise is cancelled by O due to COVID.

What would happen??  This was our case two cancelled FCC's plus some small money (under 1K) equals a large 10K cruise.amount.

Oceania considers the FCC used. And a new FCC is issued for 10K less taxes (which you get back in cash) multiplied by 125%.

I find this strange, but highly acceptable.  At least that is what O stated to my TA and I have this in writing from them as I was on cc:

Should our November 2020 cruise get cancelled, I expect what you've experienced -two used FCCs plus cash balance turned into a new FCC. And, I bet the extension deadlines will be book within one year of new FCC Issue and cruise within current schedule's 2022 extent.

As for other posts here, it has been a moving target.

We were in the first phase of Covid adjustments with a modified Nautica cruise from February 2020. The 25% FCC (on top of 50% refund) was "use by 12/31/20 and cruise by 12/31/20."

For our O cancelled Insignia cruise (May/June 2020), another 25% FCC (on top of 100% refund)  book within one year of FCC issue date (February 2021) for cruises through same date in 2022.

FWIW, several O Club Ambassadors we know all advise to make sure the cruise(s) for which you will use the FCCs meet the book by/cruise by deadlines but not to apply FCCs until final payments are due so as to avoid any complications/issues should you decide to change plans or if O cancels that cruise. Basically, their advice is to keep things as simple as possible.