CLIA puts hold on cruising from USA until September 15th

pumpkin 11

3 minutes ago, davekathy said:

My Magic 8 Ball says, "cannot predict now." 

Shake it again...

The suspension is for cruises from US ports. Which leaves the possibility of a couple 4th quarter cruises i into the US.
Just sayin’. 😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

Shake it again...

The suspension is for cruises from US ports. Which leaves the possibility of a couple 4th quarter cruises i into the US.
Just sayin’. 😁

Second answer, "ask again later". 😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ravbo said:

FLorida is NOT getting our of control.

The number of cases in Florida IS increasing BUT that in mainly due to increased testing.

The important numbers to watch are COVID hospital admissions and COVID ICU admissions both of which are staying constant (NOT INCREASING).

Unfortunate and uneducated comments like yours that are meant to scare people are not helpful.

The former head of the FDA, Dr. Scott Gottlieb, says that COVID case numbers in Florida, Texas, and Arizona "are on the cusp of getting out of control."  The record-high numbers in Florida and the other states are caused not only by an increase in testing, but by the increasing percentage of tests coming back positive.

Hospital admissions and ICU admissions are both lagging indicators.  Wait a couple of weeks and these indicators will increase, too.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/503588-arizona-texas-florida-again-report-record-high-covid-19-cases

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, Dwight1 said:

But I’m beggining to doubt this industry will survive, at least the large ships. If the vaccine doesn’t come until a year from now, they don’t have enough cash to survive.

I see you're fairly new to Cruise Critic. The travel industry has gone thru cycles before. The cruise industry will no doubt be around. People don't really need a vaccine. What they need is an effective and efficient treatment. This is more likely to happen sooner than a vaccine.

The main line cruise lines will not return to smaller ships as the large ships are the most cost effective to operate.

The cruise lines will raise cash thru the bond markets as they have been doing. Stuff like this is what keeps investment bankers and restructuring professionals employed.

I just wouldn't put your IRA money in cruise stocks. If you;re a day trader and have cash OK but an investor no way.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NordicPrince said:

I see you're fairly new to Cruise Critic. The travel industry has gone thru cycles before. The cruise industry will no doubt be around. People don't really need a vaccine. What they need is an effective and efficient treatment. This is more likely to happen sooner than a vaccine.

The main line cruise lines will not return to smaller ships as the large ships are the most cost effective to operate.

The cruise lines will raise cash thru the bond markets as they have been doing. Stuff like this is what keeps investment bankers and restructuring professionals employed.

I just wouldn't put your IRA money in cruise stocks. If you;re a day trader and have cash OK but an investor no way.

lol this is very true

In Orange County (Orlando) testing has gone from 2% positive to over 15% positive in just one week! 16 girls went to a restaurant and didn't wear masks. All 16plus 2 employees contracted Covid-19. Today the Phillies closed and Toronto Blue Jays closed their Florida facilities due to Covid- 19 positive tests.  Apple announced today that they will close some stores in. Florida as well as a few other States due to the spread of Covid-19. I believe that personal behavior more than more testing is responsible for the spread. I know that for some facts are an annoying thing.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Orator said:

In Orange County (Orlando) testing has gone from 2% positive to over 15% positive in just one week! 16 girls went to a restaurant and didn't wear masks. All 16plus 2 employees contracted Covid-19. Today the Phillies closed and Toronto Blue Jays closed their Florida facilities due to Covid- 19 positive tests.  Apple announced today that they will close some stores in. Florida as well as a few other States due to the spread of Covid-19. I believe that personal behavior more than more testing is responsible for the spread. I know that for some facts are an annoying thing.

Positive tests are a good thing, we want herd immunity at some point.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, pumpkin 11 said:

Positive tests are a good thing, we want herd immunity at some point.

Agree. Sweden took that approach. Sun worshippers and those who attend large events will only help us.

Edited by Orator
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, C-Dragons said:

Shake it again...

Just sayin’. 😁

Thats like saying an airplane can land but never take off.  Do you actually believe a cruise ship can moor in Port Everglades, discharge passengers against CDC and CLIA guidelines, then not leave?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ravbo said:

The number of cases in Florida IS increasing BUT that in mainly due to increased testing.

The important numbers to watch are COVID hospital admissions and COVID ICU admissions both of which are staying constant (NOT INCREASING).

Unfortunate and uneducated comments like yours that are meant to scare people are not helpful.

Based on some of the data being reported, Florida cases are increasing. Maybe by county or zip code there is little to no increase in the spread.

Not overwhelming as in NY or NJ or CA initially, yet between last week and this week there was an increase in tested positive cases and hospitalizations, overall, COVID-19 cases are no the rise.

For how long? We shall see for sure.

I have read that there are a few cities who are slowing down re-opening and businesses due to the jump.

Not sure where else one needs to look or read the statistics to verify what is going on in Florida, but this is a start for sure.

In health and bon voyage

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ravbo said:

It's not just because increased testing, that's wholly inaccurate.  Their curve is spiking, not flattening.  Florida saw a 12.55% daily positive rate for covid on Thursday. The rate on Wednesday was 10.25%. On Tuesday, it was 9.24%.  Hospital admissions have gone from 70% up to 80% as this past week.

Trust me, I've been watching the numbers for awhile now.

Edited by K.T.B.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

FYI.....We are STILL (as of this afternoon, anyway) scheduled to sail on the Celebrity Equinox out of Ft. Lauderdale on

September 14th (2020) 

Have not received ANYTHING official from Celebrity ....Not yet, anyway....

The notification just came out a few hours ago.  Did you seriously expect to hear anything from Celebrity about your individual cruise yet?  You are definitely an optimist🙂

19 minutes ago, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

FYI.....We are STILL (as of this afternoon, anyway) scheduled to sail on the Celebrity Equinox out of Ft. Lauderdale on

September 14th (2020) 

Have not received ANYTHING official from Celebrity ....Not yet, anyway....

It ain’t happening. Royal will make their “official” announcement on Tuesday 6/23. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orator said:

Agree. Sweden took that approach. Sun worshippers and those who attend large events will only help us.

I guess if by "help us" you are speaking as an individual and not as the royal "us' where more people get very sick and more people die before they can come up with a very good treatment or a good vaccine?  Yes, it could help cruising begin sooner rather than later if tons of people get sick so that herd immunity develops more quickly.   Certainly can't say I would wish for that, but that is the truth.

• Like 1

I am as sad about the cruising situation as anyone, but every time we get an announcement like this  I feel the most for the people whose livelihoods depend on cruising - the CEO's (yes, I even feel sorry for them), the office staff, the crew, the entertainers and other employees onboard, the people in many of the ports (particularly in the Caribbean) who depend on cruise passenger money for their very survival and the list goes on.  I really, really, really miss my cruising but I can't even imagine how horrible it would be to be in their shoes.   For that reason among many, I sincerely hope the lines survive this crisis and thrive in the future!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

Shake it again...

Just sayin’. 😁

I said it before and I'll say it again. There will be no TA sailings with passengers this Fall. It will sail back to  Florida without passengers 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

I said it before and I'll say it again. There will be no TA sailings with passengers this Fall. It will sail back to  Florida without passengers 

Are you referring to the Apex sailing in September?

9 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I guess if by "help us" you are speaking as an individual and not as the royal "us' where more people get very sick and more people die before they can come up with a very good treatment or a good vaccine?  Yes, it could help cruising begin sooner rather than later if tons of people get sick so that herd immunity develops more quickly.   Certainly can't say I would wish for that, but that is the truth.

Except it is not working.

Sweden has ended up with death rates more than 5-10 TIMES the rate in other Scandinavian countries.  And approaching one of the highest rates in the world.

And the result?  Immunity between only 6-7% of the population.  Not even close to anything resulting in "herd immunity."

It simply does not work with this virus.  Unnecessary deaths is the largest result.  

Swedes are banned from visiting any of their neighbor countries- Denmark, Finland and Norway.

Meanwhile, cruises are beginning in Norway.  The attempt at herd immunity in Sweden only made it worse.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Argo. said:

Are you referring to the Apex sailing in September?

My personal opinion based on all current information but yes I was referring to the Apex cruise but also any cruise from any cruiseline. A 14 day transatlantic cruise will not occur with passengers this Fall von any cruiseline.

Florida is a big place, do the numbers show that there are more cases throughout the state or is the increase focused on a couple areas?  If so address those areas but don't shut down the entire sate for a couple small areas.  We need to find a way to live with the virus until we find a vaccine.  This doesn't mean shutting down the country.

• Like 1