CLIA puts hold on cruising from USA until September 15th

pumpkin 11

35 minutes ago, dutchclogs said:

August and first half September itineraries have been removed from website

Really wondering if there will be any cruises in Europe in 2020 🙁

I looked at Constellation 27 Aug this morning, and it was still on, but just looked, and it is closed, along with our Royal follow-on TA on 7 Sep.  🍷

2 minutes ago, cruiser man 60 said:

The fact remains they are USA owned and your comment that safety guidelines published will only be for Italians out of Italy is basically a load of crap

I never said the safety guidelines were a load of crap, read what I said and accept you were wrong about them not being Italian based.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruiser man 60 said:

The fact remains they are USA owned and your comment that safety guidelines published will only be for Italians out of Italy is basically a load of crap

Not everything in the world is "USA owned."  Costa is a subsidiary of Carnival Corporation which, like all corporations, is "owned" by share holders.  Doubtful that the majority are US citizens.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dabear said:

Miami through Fort Lauderdale are on Florida's east coast , not west coast. Actually the hot spot goes as far north as Palm Beach county. Desanti is doing a disservice to Forida persons by ignoring the scientists and "cooking" the books. 

Yes.  My apologies.  I sometimes look at land masses from the sea perspectve.

12 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Not everything in the world is "USA owned."  Costa is a subsidiary of Carnival Corporation which, like all corporations, is "owned" by share holders.  Doubtful that the majority are US citizens.

All of Costa's ships fly the Italian flag and are registered in Italy.

On 6/19/2020 at 1:38 PM, DaveSJ711 said:

The former head of the FDA, Dr. Scott Gottlieb, says that COVID case numbers in Florida, Texas, and Arizona "are on the cusp of getting out of control."  The record-high numbers in Florida and the other states are caused not only by an increase in testing, but by the increasing percentage of tests coming back positive.

Hospital admissions and ICU admissions are both lagging indicators.  Wait a couple of weeks and these indicators will increase, too.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/503588-arizona-texas-florida-again-report-record-high-covid-19-cases

Florida's governor conceded today (finally) that the recent spike in COVID cases -- more than 4,000 new diagnoses on Friday alone -- can't be explained just by increased testing.

https://www.politico.com/states/florida/story/2020/06/20/desantis-pivots-on-covid-19-surge-says-testing-doesnt-account-for-spike-1293901 

• Like 2

From CDC:

"A positive test result shows you may have antibodies from an infection with the virus that causes COVID-19, or possibly from infection with a related virus from the same family of viruses (called coronavirus), such as one that causes the common cold. "

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/testing/serology-overview.html

Perhaps this is why numbers appear to be increasing as states like Florida upped their antibody tests starting in May. 

Edited by OceanCruise
Added Quotation marks

15 minutes ago, OceanCruise said:

From CDC:

"A positive test result shows you may have antibodies from an infection with the virus that causes COVID-19, or possibly from infection with a related virus from the same family of viruses (called coronavirus), such as one that causes the common cold. "

Perhaps this is why numbers appear to be increasing as states like Florida upped their antibody tests starting in May. 

OceanCruise - this is totally important information.

I have sent this to Canadian newspapers and media to ensure the potential issue of overstating the virus cases gets out to the public.

Thanks for this great gift!

1 hour ago, OceanCruise said:

From CDC:

To your point--

I had a COVID-19 antibody test from Labcorp this past week.  Here is one statement in their standard results letter.

"Positive results may be due to past or present infection with non-SARS-CoV-2
coronavirus strains, such as coronavirus HKU1, NL63, OC43, or 229E."

1 hour ago, ABoatNerd said:

OceanCruise - this is totally important information.

I have sent this to Canadian newspapers and media to ensure the potential issue of overstating the virus cases gets out to the public.

Thanks for this great gift!

Seems like they are indeed using the antibody tests to report Covid cases. I found these just with a quick Google search for Florida. 

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-ne-florida-antibody-testing-data-release-20200529-cnq4rkcpt5a47hi63fbcaibwte-story.html

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2020/05/29/more-antibody-testing-added-in-south-florida-as-leaders-await-state-results/

4 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

To your point--

I had a COVID-19 antibody test from Labcorp this past week.  Here is one statement in their standard results letter.

"Positive results may be due to past or present infection with non-SARS-CoV-2
coronavirus strains, such as coronavirus HKU1, NL63, OC43, or 229E."

coronavirus 229E is associated with the common cold

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/neuroscience/human-coronavirus-229e

1 hour ago, OceanCruise said:

From CDC:

Actually the governor of Florida attributes it to young people hanging out in bars not socially distancing.

Edited by Oville
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

IMO there is too much emphasis by the press on positive COVID-19 tests, in particular if they are antibody tests. Positive tests are becoming a political issue.  As is everything.  Yes they are a good indicator of presence of the virus in general.  But I really don't think they are as important as some want to portray since we know the virus has not magically disappeared.  I am much more concerned at this point in the pandemic of COVID hospitalizations and deaths.  It is still all about how our medical systems can handle these patients.  A state will have spikes in testing but hopefully can still handle the medical needs.  Haven't we at least learned that?  If we just keep up with basic wearing of masks and careful handwashing and other social guidelines perhaps even these spikes or second waves will be reduced.  But unfortunately not eliminated in any time soon.

• Like 1

Yes, hospitalizations and deaths are the real indicators. Keep in mind more people are finally able to go to the hosital for their elective procedures (like hip replacements) and they test everyone there for Covid. Is a recent spike in hospitalizations actually due to Covid or perhaps just more positive antibody tests that could indicate the person only has the common cold? I feel like the media is terrorizing people with their constant reporting of positive test numbers 24 hours a day. This is a good article that shows how the numbers can be very misleading. What numbers are governors and mayors really using as a basis for mitigation policies?

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/05/cdc-and-states-are-misreporting-covid-19-test-data-pennsylvania-georgia-texas/611935/

TeeRick, I heard some very positive news from family of one of the Johnson and Johnson bosses who has a very strong medical background.  J & J are working hard on a Covid-19 vaccine. The results thus far are very good. I remain cautiously optimistic.  AstraZeneca are well advanced too. 

Humankind are throwing everything they can at this and we are amazingly clever as a race. Fingers are 🤞

Phil 

27 minutes ago, OceanCruise said:

Yes, hospitalizations and deaths are the real indicators. Keep in mind more people are finally able to go to the hosital for their elective procedures (like hip replacements) and they test everyone there for Covid. Is a recent spike in hospitalizations actually due to Covid or perhaps just more positive antibody tests that could indicate the person only has the common cold? I feel like the media is terrorizing people with their constant reporting of positive test numbers 24 hours a day. This is a good article that shows how the numbers can be very misleading. What numbers are governors and mayors really using as a basis for mitigation policies?

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/05/cdc-and-states-are-misreporting-covid-19-test-data-pennsylvania-georgia-texas/611935/

Not everyone is being tested prior to surgery.  DH had knee replacement surgery 10 days ago and I was able to stay with him overnight.  There was no COVID 19 test for either of us; temperature check, a few questions and required to wear a N95 mask when outside of the room. 

Just now, jelayne said:

Not everyone is being tested prior to surgery.  DH had knee replacement surgery 10 days ago and I was able to stay with him overnight.  There was no COVID 19 test for either of us; temperature check, a few questions and required to wear a N95 mask when outside of the room. 

Did they take any blood? That is how they do an antibody test.

10 minutes ago, OceanCruise said:

Did they take any blood? That is how they do an antibody test.

Not mine, his pre-op tests were  8 days before surgery if they tested for antibodies then he wasn’t given those results.  Just told all pre-op tests were ok.

57 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

TeeRick, I heard some very positive news from family of one of the Johnson and Johnson bosses who has a very strong medical background.  J & J are working hard on a Covid-19 vaccine. The results thus far are very good. I remain cautiously optimistic.  AstraZeneca are well advanced too. 

That's great news!

Humankind are throwing everything they can at this and we are amazingly clever as a race. Fingers are 🤞

I said practically the same thing to Pat in May, that we have the brightest minds in the World working on this and I believe that they will be successful. 🤞🏼🤞🏼

Phil 

• Like 1