Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
shof515

Two Carnival Cruise Ships Have Been Sold and Two Others Going to Long Term Lay-Up Status

Recommended Posts

56 minutes ago, roeco9084 said:

It looks like Imagination has left Freeport and destination set to Curaco.

This ship will be docking at Mega 2 cruise terminal and will be there for two days and not at Brion Wharf where the Fantasy & Inspiration were tied up. It will also only be there for two days and not five or six. The slot machines likely will be removed whether or not the ship is headed to Turkey  or to cold storage, since Carnival does not own them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't be surprised if these two beauties would also go to the scrapyard. It's almost like math: 2 ships in long term layup + Carnival anouncing they will remove 2 further ships from the fleet = the same 2 ships going to the scrapyard (okay, I'll admit, it's speculation). I just wonder why Carnival is so tight lipped about this. With the first 2 they almost gave information about their fate after they were beached.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if maybe they want to keep them until the market improves then sell them at a later date? I was surprised that the Fascination was put into long term lay up as u would think they would want to keep the balcony ships and shed the non balcony ones. I guess well have to see where Imagination ends up in long term lay up? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, roeco9084 said:

I wonder if maybe they want to keep them until the market improves then sell them at a later date? I was surprised that the Fascination was put into long term lay up as u would think they would want to keep the balcony ships and shed the non balcony ones. I guess well have to see where Imagination ends up in long term lay up? 

The four remaining Fantasy Class ships all have balconies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/23/2020 at 2:56 PM, ch09 said:

This ship will be docking at Mega 2 cruise terminal and will be there for two days and not at Brion Wharf where the Fantasy & Inspiration were tied up. It will also only be there for two days and not five or six. The slot machines likely will be removed whether or not the ship is headed to Turkey  or to cold storage, since Carnival does not own them.

They also don't own the "temporary" auxiliary generators added to most of the ships.

 

Balconies wouldn't take more than a few weeks to add.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again, Carnival will have 25 ships by 2022 when the Celebration joins and the Fascination & Imagination get scrapped. Really don't see Carnival keeping these two ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, toad455 said:

Again, Carnival will have 25 ships by 2022 when the Celebration joins and the Fascination & Imagination get scrapped. Really don't see Carnival keeping these two ships.

Agreed. I’m just happy Long Beach now has ships with balconies to replace the imagination and inspiration. The quick local trip will be even more fun with a balcony to relax on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It Appears Imagination which is in Curaco has its transponder set to Aliaga. Im thinkin she went to Freeport to be destored and most valuables taken off rest are being taken off in Curaco.

 

Edited by roeco9084

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, roeco9084 said:

It Appears Imagination which is in Curaco has its transponder set to Aliaga. Im thinkin she went to Freeport to be destored and most valuables taken off rest are being taken off in Curaco.

 

 

Not a surprise, but I still hate to hear it.  Wonder how long before Fascination follows?

 

Garnett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, N7786W Flyer said:

 

Not a surprise, but I still hate to hear it.  Wonder how long before Fascination follows?

 

Garnett

Well a good thing is Fascination hasnt moved since it got to Cadiz. But Imagination has been sailing to Freeport then Curaco. I did see the Fascination on a ship broker site so maybe they plan to sell her to make up for the losses their takin for sending ships to scrap

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Confirmed Imagination sold for scrap

 

https://www.cruiseharbournews.com/imaginationscrap.html


I wonder how long Carnival planned to keep all of their Fantasy class ships prior to the current coronavirus. No doubt all 8 ships would still be cruising today without this virus. Sad how devastating this virus has been and continues to be to the cruise industry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:


I wonder how long Carnival planned to keep all of their Fantasy class ships prior to the current coronavirus. No doubt all 8 ships would still be cruising today without this virus. Sad how devastating this virus has been and continues to be to the cruise industry. 

I’d guess somewhere between 3-5 years for them to slowly make modifications to their fleet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

 

I had seen that, but confirmation to me would be an announcement by Carnival. I had never heard of that blogger's rag until now. But some people do think if it is on the Internet, it must be true.

 

if past trends is true like before, Carnival wont officially post any news until the ship is at the ship breakers in middle of September

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, shof515 said:

 

if past trends is true like before, Carnival wont officially post any news until the ship is at the ship breakers in middle of September

 

Probably. My understanding is ship breakers don't take ownership of a ship until it is delivered. Want to buy a cruise ship?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

 

I had seen that, but confirmation to me would be an announcement by Carnival. I had never heard of that blogger's rag until now. But some people do think if it is on the Internet, it must be true.

It must be

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

I doubt that she is making the trek to Turkey for a Sunshine/Sunrise makeover.

Screenshot_20200826-094236_Chrome.jpg

Edited by stobe1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Hopefully soon.

 

Pardon me for asking, but why do you seem to revel in the destruction of the Fantasy class?  I get that you don't enjoy the ships, but others do and, I presume, are sad to see them go.

 

Again, maybe I am missing something, but if you don't like the ships, fine...just don't book them and let others, who do enjoy them continue to cruise on them.  I don't see how their continued existence somehow diminishes your cruise experiences.

 

Forgive me if I am misinterpreting your intentions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...