Hotel in Amsterdam recommendations?

Here’s our situation.  We will arrive 4 days early for our cruise,  We would like to stay somewhere close to public transportation, on a canal, not too far from cruise port and centrally located.  We do not need a luxury hotel, we usually book boutique type hotels.

Any suggestions appreciated.  TIA

Much depends what you want to spend,  prices can be different by the day depending season, conventions etc.

I give you some names, so you can check their websites. A mix of 3 star and more star hotels.

The Times, Hermitage Hotel, Dikker & Thys Hotel, The Craftsmen (formerly name Hotel Brouwer),  Hotel Mai, Radisson Blu, Banks Mansion, Esterea Hotel, NH Flower Market, Hotel Wiechmann, Pulitzer Hotel, Ambassade Hotel, Andaz Hotel.  Just to name a few.

Amsterdam is rather compact and walkable with excellent public transport. All those hotels are more or less city center.  The cruise terminal (assuming you leave from Amsterdam), is close to the city.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Ine
  • Like 2

Thank you Ine!  You have been very helpful.  I will do some research and decide.  I have noticed that public transportation is very good, we actually enjoy using it to get around.  It feels like more of an adventure.  We have actually discovered interesting things to do and see that way.

Im finding prices to be higher in July when our Baltic sails.

Thank you!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 7/25/2020 at 7:01 PM, TinkBellaMom said:

Here’s our situation.  We will arrive 4 days early for our cruise,  We would like to stay somewhere close to public transportation, on a canal, not too far from cruise port and centrally located.  We do not need a luxury hotel, we usually book boutique type hotels.

Any suggestions appreciated.  TIA

We stayed at the Banks Mansion last time in Amsterdam along with some CC friends and we were all very happy there.  On a canal, central and all inclusive literally.  Breakfast, drinks, and a lovely cheese board and wines served around 5 pm in the “library” (off the reception area).

I’ve recommended it since and everyone has been very happy with it.

We are returning in 2022 and will happily stay there again.

• Like 2

On 1/25/2021 at 1:43 PM, kazu said:

We stayed at the Banks Mansion last time in Amsterdam along with some CC friends and we were all very happy there.  On a canal, central and all inclusive literally.  Breakfast, drinks, and a lovely cheese board and wines served around 5 pm in the “library” (off the reception area).

More than likely our July 2021 pre-cruise won't happen...but hoping our July 2022 will.

On 1/28/2021 at 8:17 AM, GrJ Berkshire said:

NO CHANCE , HOLLAND IS CLOSED TO TOURISTS

I guess you missed my updated post #11..... I'm just waiting for Celebrity to cancel (hopefully before final is due May 1st) I have no delusion we'll be cruising out of Amsterdam July 2021 and why I have already booked another cruise from there for July 2022.

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at the Doubletree Central Station.  It’s right by the hub of the trains hence its name.  We got a 2 day pass from a machine using a credit card and rode easily anywhere we wanted to go.  Easy and convenient.  It’s a hike from the airport but was right by where the river boat parked.

Just don’t be afraid of location with the great public transportation systems they have in Europe.  We were nervous as we have no experience with public transportation at all. The only issue we had was in Budapest on their actual buses ( not trains).  We got a bit lost as we thought 11 was the same as 11A, 11B etc.  Lol.  We were 2 very lost Texans there but we eventually figured out it out and made it back to where we were staying.

A river cruise doesn't board at a terminal. If you are lucky, you will be at one of the docks in behind Central Station. If you aren't lucky, you will be boarding some way out of central Amsterdam. You likely wouldn't find out until shortly before arrival.

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at the

Roommate Hotel Atiana

Modern glass enclosed 

multi story hotel right on the water. Close to train station and riverboat embarkation point. Great water views from our room. Room was modem and comfortable with floor to ceiling windows. 
We stayed for 3 nights precruise. Great breakfast and very good restaurant for dinner. 
Staff was extremely helpful with tour information, transportation tips, restaurant recommendations, and very good tips for the best coffee shops for smokes and edibles 

On embarkation day we walked the 1/4 mile or so right to the riverboat. 
A cab would only take a few minutes if you preferred, or it was raining. 

On 1/25/2021 at 4:43 PM, kazu said:

I just booked a cruise out of Amsterdam for August 2022. I loved the sound of the Banks Mansion in your post above so I went online to book it for 19 months from now. Eek -- it says no rooms available. I wonder if it's just too far in the future to book and it's not really full. Thoughts?

3 minutes ago, BAYA said:

I just booked a cruise out of Amsterdam for August 2022. I loved the sound of the Banks Mansion in your post above so I went online to book it for 19 months from now. Eek -- it says no rooms available. I wonder if it's just too far in the future to book and it's not really full. Thoughts?

Definitely too far out to book on line unless you want to try calling them.

I can’t remember when the bookings opened when I booked.  I do remember booking close to a year out as I had heard enough about the place to want to try it.  If you go back and look as if you were booking, watch the months - you will see pricing until the possibility of booking ends.  Once you have determined how far out (probably one year or 15 months), then just diarize it and go back in to book when the availability is scheduled to be there.

I’ve had a few CC friends stay there after my LIVE thread and they were all pleased.

52 minutes ago, BAYA said:

Yes, it is definitely too far in the future. Work backwards until you find a bookable date, and figure out how long their booking window is.

1 hour ago, BAYA said:

Thanks, Jacqui!

Happy to help.  I just went to look as I need to know my booking window too.  Bookings are available until the end of February next year so it looks like it is 11 -12 months out that you can book.

We have stayed in a couple of different hotels in Amsterdam but the Hilton Amsterdam was very nice and on Sunday's only have some of the best mussels either of us have ever eaten. It is a little ways from the center of town but not too far out to still see everything further in by foot.