How About over 55 or 60 cruises?

Empehi

4 hours ago, newcruzer2 said:

well I would definitely go for this idea. 6night cruises with 24hrs of cleaning inbetween. Cruise lines would lose some revenue BUT it would do a LOT to boost customer confidence and all around cleanliness. 👍👍👍

One less day of revenue, for cleaning, per week means 52 days of lost revenue per ship. With debt they accumulated from the shutdown, a minimum of 7 1/2 months. Throw in not starting up with all their ships, and the ones that do sail would be at a reduced capacity, that would be their downfall.

Monday they announce financials for the second quarter, so that will show how dire things may be. To hedge bets, maybe it would be time to take the refund rather than the fccs.

5 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

One less day of revenue,

Indeed, it would be one less day of revenue.  But, to bring people back to cruising, they will need to instill confidence in the area of safety.  Thinking that thousands of people just left the ship and two hours later thousands more were getting on does not exactly engender confidence.  The 24 hour time to thoroughly clean could be the measure to lure some people back.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Indeed, it would be one less day of revenue.  But, to bring people back to cruising, they will need to instill confidence in the area of safety.  Thinking that thousands of people just left the ship and two hours later thousands more were getting on does not exactly engender confidence.  The 24 hour time to thoroughly clean could be the measure to lure some people back.

That's what most hotels are doing these days, but their business model is not that of the cattle-call-type cruise and airline industries.  Cruises need to pack-em-in in order to make a profit.  Apparently they make an average of $200 a passenger profit when ships are at full capacity. 

Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 7.50.39 PM.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, yogimax said:

The 24 hour time to thoroughly clean could be the measure to lure some people back.

That may very well be the case.  For me, it wouldn’t mean a hill of beans.  If cleaning the ship is such a big deal, I interpret that as too many passengers showing up who are potentially infected.  After all, coronavirus is spread primarily by people.

5 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

That may very well be the case.  For me, it wouldn’t mean a hill of beans.  If cleaning the ship is such a big deal, I interpret that as too many passengers showing up who are potentially infected.  After all, coronavirus is spread primarily by people.

I agree. I really don't think the one day cleaning thing would mean much. The virus is mainly transmitted by people basically breathing on other people and cleaning the ship won't prevent that. 

25 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I agree. I really don't think the one day cleaning thing would mean much. The virus is mainly transmitted by people basically breathing on other people and cleaning the ship won't prevent that. 

Yes it's definitely thru the air, but an example from the grocery store today. Before I put my items on the belt, she asked me to WAIT so she could wipe the entire belt down then did the same as I walked off. DID it help prevent covid spread PROBABLY not.... But it definitely made me feel better. 

• Like 1

Being “shut down” One day a week would be painful to the cruise lines. But a lot less painful than being ***** down seven days a week. In addition to the cleaning thing, a benefit of the day off would be allowing passengers a much larger window for boarding and disembarking. Those are going to be some of the toughest times for social distancing. How much better will it be if passengers can go straight to their cabins when boarding instead of piling up in the WJ and lounges. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

How much better will it be if passengers can go straight to their cabins when boarding instead of piling up in the WJ and lounges. 

Excellent point!

Even when cruising begins again, it will be different than it was before.  Some seem to think it's all about RCCL's bottom line.  It isn't.  It's about passenger confidence and safety!

• Like 2

Another thought— Perhaps a significantly delayed boarding. Many of us are used to showing up at the port and boarding around 10:30. Yes, the cruise lines have boarding times on your sail pass. Only those who have never cruised before, possibly, pay attention to that to  time frame. The rest of us show up and board as soon as we can. What if the cruise lines delayed sailing, and therefore could delay boarding? Add to that, they install the systems which spray all areas of the ship with some sort of disinfectant. That is a one time cost for the installation. Yes, the disinfectant is a recurring expense. This would also give the crew time to thoroughly clean and stock your cabin. What am I missing? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Straughn said:

Another thought— Perhaps a significantly delayed boarding. Many of us are used to showing up at the port and boarding around 10:30. Yes, the cruise lines have boarding times on your sail pass. Only those who have never cruised before, possibly, pay attention to that to  time frame. The rest of us show up and board as soon as we can. What if the cruise lines delayed sailing, and therefore could delay boarding? Add to that, they install the systems which spray all areas of the ship with some sort of disinfectant. That is a one time cost for the installation. Yes, the disinfectant is a recurring expense. This would also give the crew time to thoroughly clean and stock your cabin. What am I missing? 

I think you are missing people bringing the virus onto the ship. It wouldn't matter how clean the ship is.

Edited by time4u2go

To answer the original question:  no, I think age segregating is a bad idea.  DH would be able to cruise or I would be able to - but we wouldn't be able to go together since we're in different age groups.  What about grandparents who have sole custody of their grandkids?  They couldn't travel together either.  I just see it causing all kinds of problems.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

To answer the original question:  no, I think age segregating is a bad idea.  DH would be able to cruise or I would be able to - but we wouldn't be able to go together since we're in different age groups.  What about grandparents who have sole custody of their grandkids?  They couldn't travel together either.  I just see it causing all kinds of problems.

Grandparents with sole custody who cruise is probably a very slim portion of the population. 

Edited by John&LaLa

On 8/9/2020 at 3:33 AM, yogimax said:

Excellent point!

Even when cruising begins again, it will be different than it was before.  Some seem to think it's all about RCCL's bottom line.  It isn't.  It's about passenger confidence and safety!

+1.

On 8/6/2020 at 7:57 PM, Empehi said:

Just an idea. Because one of the main problems with COVID-19 is the asymptomatic person spreading the virus unknown that they have the virus.

It is my understanding that older folks are very seldom (if ever) asymptomatic so they would be the easiest population of cruisers to identify pre-cruise.

All the cruise line would have to do is test (perhaps even daily) the crew.  What do people think?

No thanks.  We are "older" but still enjoy socializing with "younger" folks.  

19 hours ago, time4u2go said:

I think you are missing people bringing the virus onto the ship. It wouldn't matter how clean the ship is.

The virus lives on wood,metal, plastic etc for up to 72 hours so a thorough clean and spray of all the surfaces will kill any virus left onboard by previous passengers.

Graham.

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

The virus lives on wood,metal, plastic etc for up to 72 hours so a thorough clean and spray of all the surfaces will kill any virus left onboard by previous passengers.

Graham.

Oh I agree.  I just wanted to make sure that the poster realized that cleaning the surfaces alone will most definitely not prevent the spread of the virus.  Although I suppose I shouldn't have said it wouldn't matter how clean the ship is.  That matters too.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 1

Just now, time4u2go said:

Oh I agree.  I just wanted to make sure that the poster realized that cleaning the surfaces alone will most definitely not prevent the spread of the virus.

I agree but hopefully regular handwashing and face coverings from new passengers coupled with the deep clean from previous passengers might control or eliminate the virus.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Graham.

72 hours sounds like a 3 day cruise😉

14 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Good luck with that!  Maybe people can resist the temptation of sticking their dirty fingers in their mouths, nostrils and ears instead.

Exactly but as long as they thoroughly wash their hands first they would be okay.