Elevators on ship

FrankieSue

3 hours ago, RuthC said:

That won't work for scooters or rollators/walkers. 
People who use that equipment must use elevators, and the ones with a scooter have to end up in the middle of the elevator. It's the only way to fit in. 

They may not work for scooters but with more people using escalators, it opens up elevators more for those who need them.

Example...RCI Oasis Class has escalators going down to the debarkation deck.  Since almost everyone uses them, there's no line for those who need to use the elevators.  

11 hours ago, cruzingnut said:

No way to socially distance in a HAL elevator.  They can try to limit it to 4 people, each one in their own corner but that's not going to work. 

I see MSC and Costa in the Med are testing people prior to getting onboard.  While this sounds good, if someone catches the virus on a plane, in a cab, bus or whatever means of transport to the ship, it won't show up in a test that day.   It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 12.34.28 PM.png

Well, Catching Covid 19 onboard an aircraft is possible, but very unlikely, no matter the media sensationalism crap. With proper mask use, chances are actually near nil. 

Also, there has not been a single documented case where Covid19 was caused by contaminated surface contact. ( Fomite transmission) .In laboratory studies, the virus is indeed transmissible, but ONLY by using unrealistic amounts of particles.( https://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journals/laninf/PIIS1473-3099(20)30561-2.pdf) . The hysteria with disinfecting and even wearing gloves is completely unnecessary but better to be safe than sorry obviously and disinfecting and good hygiene practices are never a bad thing. 

Why do we still see contamination then? Because people are not wearing their bloody masks when being closer than 1.5m of another. And remember, you protect others by wearing a mask, NOT yourself, so not wearing the mask when in close encounters is at the moment the most selfish, ignorant thing you can do.

Edited by Despegue
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, FrankieSue said:

Cruiselines have given a lot of information about enhanced hygiene measures onboard, one of them being practicing social distancing.... however, I have not yet heard anything being said about how they will operate the elevators onboard ships. From my many experiences as a 4* Mariner, elevators can get very crowded at peak times (meals/showtimes), so how will the ship handle this?  Will they enforce safe distancing? I am interested in hearing your comments.

However, I would imagine there will be reduced number of passengers on board, so reduced number of people waiting for elevators, and encourage those who can to take the stairs.  I would hope that if the elevator wait is too long, those with no mobility issues will take the stairs.

But then, what do I know?

L.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lido - Lanai said:

My thoughts exactly..... what in the world does one's mariner status have to do with waiting for an elevator!

I think there was talk of having dedicated Elevators for 4* and 5*  and for President's Club having their own Humphrey Manlift  :^)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Lido - Lanai said:

My thoughts exactly..... what in the world does one's mariner status have to do with waiting for an elevator!

It tells me that this person speaks from experience due to the number of days spent on HAL ships.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

It tells me that this person speaks from experience due to the number of days spent on HAL ships.

I learned that elevators can get crowded at peak times on my very first cruise.  I guess I was just a fast learner. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Lido - Lanai said:

Being a 4* Mariner means that I have probably taken enough cruises and experienced situations that I can relate to ... that is what being a 4* Mariner means....  i would have thought that this was pretty self explanatory...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Homosassa said:

FrankieSue, Any chance you are a 4* mariner? 🙄

Yes I am... and I am very proud of it... apart from acquired experience through many cruises, 4* Mariner shows dedication and loyalty to Holland America... it means appreciation for all the great people who make the Holland America family. It means feeling very grateful on the day that the ship’s captain and ship’s general manager presented me with my pin and medal, it means being part of an exclusive group of people who appreciate the same things I do... so yes I am a 4*Mariner and You bet I am proud of it... 

• Like 3

The simple solution re elevator button pushing is by making them automatic, i.e. stop at each floor. I came across this in hotels when visiting Israel where, for religious reasons, button pressing is considered as "work" on the sabbath and not to be done.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2020 at 4:29 PM, FrankieSue said:

Yes I am... and I am very proud of it... apart from acquired experience through many cruises, 4* Mariner shows dedication and loyalty to Holland America... it means appreciation for all the great people who make the Holland America family. It means feeling very grateful on the day that the ship’s captain and ship’s general manager presented me with my pin and medal, it means being part of an exclusive group of people who appreciate the same things I do... so yes I am a 4*Mariner and You bet I am proud of it... 

Hmm.  I'm a few days short of 5*, and I definitely don't consider myself an expert on all things HAL, or part of an exclusive group, or even feel any dedication or loyalty - nor even think to mention it whenever I post.  So I just did, and probably won't ever again, LOL.  I sometimes still learn things I wasn't aware of when I read this forum.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, T8NCruise said:

Hmm.  I'm a few days short of 5*, and I definitely don't consider myself an expert on all things HAL, or part of an exclusive group, or even feel any dedication or loyalty - nor even think to mention it whenever I post.  So I just did, and probably won't ever again, LOL.  I sometimes still learn things I wasn't aware of when I read this forum.

We are 5 Star Mariners and still consider ourselves amateurs when it comes to HAL :).   I might add that we are in our 70s and sometimes also feel like the children on our HAL cruises.  DW still laughs about one wonderful large table we joined in the MDR.  We had one of those fun discussions of "where were you when."  Somebody mentioned "where were you when JFK was killed" and we  all remembered.  But then one table member asked "where were you when FDR died" and as we went around the table we had one who had been in the Navy, another in the Army, a lady who recalled she was cooking in her kitchen.  When it got to DW and I we had to admit we were not even born at that time!  Yes. on HAL we often feel like the amateurs and newbies.

Hank

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Limit the number of passengers per elevator. 

And: If you can take the stairs, please do so! Give elderly, people who have difficulties moving around and people in wheelchairs such as myself some space! At peak times on the ship, I sometimes had to wait 10 minutes before I could go in a elevator with my wheelchair 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WheelieNick said:

At peak times on the ship, I sometimes had to wait 10 minutes before I could go in a elevator with my wheelchair 

Didn't require a wheelchair, but on some large ships, I have had to wait for quite some time before an elevator arrived that had room for me.  (This was most irritating on Celebrity Eclipse.)

24 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Didn't require a wheelchair, but on some large ships, I have had to wait for quite some time before an elevator arrived that had room for me.  (This was most irritating on Celebrity Eclipse.)

I had it on Koningsdam,  at peak hours it was a wait sometimes!. But I got there, thats the important part. But now with COVID, when I am in the Elevator, there is just no space for antother (walking) person if  I don't want someone breathing in my face (i sit low ofcourse) 

• Like 1