Guess the ship...

Despegue

Ok, this actually happened in different times (a landing would not happen today) by a Canadian Coast Guard / Garde Côtière Canadienne crew flying an Alouette III. This medevac took place in Queen Charlotte Strait, BC - which dam ship? 

HAL Medevac - Copy.jpg

2 hours ago, indokiwi said:

OK, I'll play - which ship?  A hint since it could be so many - she's still in the fleet.  Several bonus points if you can name the port.

Ship in port.JPG

Ship's profile looks to be Zaandam or Volendam.  As for the port, maybe an embarkation port since the lights are on.

17 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Ok, this actually happened in different times (a landing would not happen today) by a Canadian Coast Guard / Garde Côtière Canadienne crew flying an Alouette III. This medevac took place in Queen Charlotte Strait, BC - which dam ship? 

HAL Medevac - Copy.jpg

Rotterdam V?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Ship's profile looks to be Zaandam or Volendam.  As for the port, maybe an embarkation port since the lights are on.

Well, since someone already incorrectly guessed Volendam, you are correct with Zaandam.  As for an embarkation port....the ship's at anchor which would be horrible to embark upon with all that luggage 🙂  It's actually Lahaina, Maui - we departed at 11pm, so the lights stayed on until sailing.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Westerdam!

Winner! 🙂 Westie had her Atrium Waterford "sailing ship" chandelier removed and replaced with "lighted circles" (to bring that in line with the ill-fated "Rijksmuseum at Sea" and the "Threatened Swan" also in her atrium) after her April 2017 dry-dock in Palermo, This is what her old Atrium used to look like

HAL Atriums Westerdam (old).jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Winner! 🙂 Westie had her Atrium Waterford "sailing ship" chandelier removed and replaced with "lighted circles" (to bring that in line with the ill-fated "Rijksmuseum at Sea" and the "Threatened Swan" also in her atrium) after her April 2017 dry-dock in Palermo, This is what her old Atrium used to look like

HAL Atriums Westerdam (old).jpg

And she looked 10 times better with the old atrium than the current design horror...

Thankfully, the “experiment” has not been repeated on the other Vista’s.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Despegue said:

And she looked 10 times better with the old atrium than the current design horror...

Thankfully, the “experiment” has not been repeated on the other Vista’s.

Ain't that the truth! The legacy of the former CEO.............

• Like 1

Maybe it is a “language “ thing , but why are most ( non- Dutch) people referring to the ships as “ Rotterdam, Veendam etc. “ instead of THE Rotterdam and THE Veendam . Onboard            ( remember when) , when the CD makes an announcement they say , for instance, activities happening on Rotterdam today . When the captain makes his announcement he always says THE Rotterdam.

Same with the name of the company, it is Holland America Line , not Holland America or , even worse, just Holland .

So ,  I p*ssed my vinegar for today 😉

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, rotjeknor said:

Maybe it is a “language “ thing , but why are most ( non- Dutch) people referring to the ships as “ Rotterdam, Veendam etc. “ instead of THE Rotterdam and THE Veendam . Onboard            ( remember when) , when the CD makes an announcement they say , for instance, activities happening on Rotterdam today . When the captain makes his announcement he always says THE Rotterdam.

Same with the name of the company, it is Holland America Line , not Holland America or , even worse, just Holland .

So ,  I p*ssed my vinegar for today 😉

The definite article is always a bit of a problem.......

rotjeknor asks " which cruise line are you sailing and which ship?"  (NOT "what cruise line are you sailing and what ship?")

VMax answers "I am sailing on the Holland America LIne, on the Maasdam"  is the grammatically correct answer (I believe!) but conversation has become less formal in recent times,  so many would respond with "we are sailing Holland America Line, on Maasdam".

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/jan/15/definite-article-radical-decline-last-century-research

• Like 1