Princess Medallion use update

ALWAYS CRUZIN

4 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

The medallion has no user interface.  How could that possibly work?

I'm just passing on information that has been put out by Princess HQ staff. I can't answer questions. People who don't have smartphones have consistently been assured that they don't/won't need one to use the medallion in place of a cruise card. I guess they won't have the enhanced features, but can use it for all the activities the card has been used for. (ID, door opening, charging purchases, etc.)

Hope that they have improved the Medallion system while there's been no sailing.  Prior experience not positive. 

Even though we had our Medallions prior to the sailing, they didn't work at embarkation.  Had to do everything the old-fashioned way.  Half the time the drink ordering system did not work.  Drink menu very limited.  Forget about ordering a dirty martini.  One time our drinks were delivered to our cabin, not our table.

I normally always carry my phone with me.  However, I like being "free" while on the ship.  Who wants to carry a phone around on formal night?????

Edited by Desert Cruisers

1 hour ago, HappyCruiserettu said:

Maybe because it hasn't been implemented YET. I believe all Pacific Princess sailings have been cancelled well into mid-2021. I would guess that the conversion is expected to happen before she returns to service.

April 3 is the first still on the schedule.

However in the past cruises on the web site were promoted as being Medallion cruises before the technology was scheduled to be implemented as long as the cruise was after the scheduled implementation date.

21 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

90% of people I see on ships have their smartphones with them at all times, this is a good idea. Just the world we live in, and it's good that the cruise lines are adapting. (plus it's safer than having to print things that can get dirty/contaminated)

I know, as I've seen this on many recent cruises, but I'm not one of those. I really don't want to carry my phone around on the ship. I don't have the compulsive need to check the fool thing every 45 seconds. I have better things to do with my time. 

• Like 1

The only time we experienced the Medallion was when it was in Beta mode on the Royal.  We were given a card and the medallion. Never had to use the card. Some of the options of the medallion was not available to use.

We could open our door and make purchases. That was about it.  There was a lot of tweaking of the medallion while we were on that cruise. You could see the IT team with their heads together in the Horizon court at lunch time talking about work with their pads. I felt kind of sorry for them.

What is funny, is that my husband who is much more into computers than I am is not too thrilled with the medallion where as I find it entertaining and a great tool. Who knows, he might change his mind on the next cruise.

23 hours ago, HappyCruiserettu said:

No smartphone required. Everything will operate thru the Medallion which operates independently of any phone. According to John Chernesky, Princess Sr VP of Sales, ALL ships will be Medallion Class when they resume sailing. (per yesterdays webinar "Cruising the Americas.")

Yet I am booked for next year on Island Princess and Sapphire Princess - neither of which is listed as having Medallion technology.

16 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

I will NEVER carry my phone on the ship, only when I go into port for emergency. 

We used to just turn them off and stick them in the safe. These days I use it for the Patter and to keep track of what I want to do and where/when it's happening. I've wanted to try a Medallion cruise since the inception of the program. We were booked on what was supposed to be the first Medallion cruise for Caribbean Princess back in March of 2018 but, even though we did sail, the Medallion program was pushed back.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2020 at 12:33 PM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Princess says they will be using the Medallion a lot more now. Helping on keeping people distanced from one another, monitoring close gatherings, no touch orders. Requesting you use you phone or pad to order than one on one. Food and drinks. Dining room ordering via phone or pad. Menu the same way. Plus more. Received that info via my email today. Hope it all works.

Will keep an eye on this.  Although it might mean a bit of a sterile environment, the needs of the many....

Cheers

Steve & Vicky

This was the rollout timetable as at the end 2019 but subject to change

Sky Princess on its launch in October 2019
·        Ruby Princess on January 27, 2020
·        Grand Princess on March 29, 2020
·        Enchanted Princess on June 15, 2020
·        Emerald Princess on August 16, 2020
·        Coral Princess on October 16, 2020
·        Island Princess on December 20, 2020

On 10/9/2020 at 11:57 AM, HappyCruiserettu said:

I'm just passing on information that has been put out by Princess HQ staff. I can't answer questions. People who don't have smartphones have consistently been assured that they don't/won't need one to use the medallion in place of a cruise card. I guess they won't have the enhanced features, but can use it for all the activities the card has been used for. (ID, door opening, charging purchases, etc.)

Are you a travel agent?

On 10/9/2020 at 2:54 PM, Thrak said:

I've wanted to try a Medallion cruise since the inception of the program. We were booked on what was supposed to be the first Medallion cruise for Caribbean Princess back in March of 2018 but, even though we did sail, the Medallion program was pushed back.

We were on the Caribbean in Mid-August, 2018. The Medallion installation was taking place. We got a medallion on about day4. It only worked for door and purchases at that time. I believe they were fully Medallion two weeks later. That means everyone got a Medallion. All the features had not been developed at that point.

On 10/9/2020 at 12:29 PM, caribill said:

April 3 is the first still on the schedule.

However in the past cruises on the web site were promoted as being Medallion cruises before the technology was scheduled to be implemented as long as the cruise was after the scheduled implementation date.

That's true. I haven't seen an update to the Medallion launch schedule since the Covid pause began.

On 10/8/2020 at 10:33 AM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Princess says they will be using the Medallion a lot more now. Helping on keeping people distanced from one another, monitoring close gatherings, no touch orders. Requesting you use you phone or pad to order than one on one. Food and drinks. Dining room ordering via phone or pad. Menu the same way. Plus more. Received that info via my email today. Hope it all works.

Are you able to copy your email so that we can see what Princess says?

Thanks!

Tom😀

On 10/8/2020 at 12:30 PM, XBGuy said:

Ordering with your smartphone in a restaurant or dining room is a reasonalble idea.

Of course it is easy to anticipate objections to anything.

• What if a person doesn't own a smartphone?
    • Would a server take the order?
    • Would a device be provided?  Sounds like an easy workaround.  However, it is entirely possible that the diner may have to get some instruction on usage.  Then, of course, there would be the diners who would insist that they do not want to use the device and demand their inalienable right to have a server take their order.
  • I can see people having issues with all kinds of exceptions to the standard menu.
    • Special dietary requests.  I know that special diets are accommodated, and I see no reason why the smartphone  menu can't have things like "Kosher Selectons" or "Gluten Free Options," but, often, people like to ask questions about them.
    • Substitutions.  Instead of rice with the grilled salmon, I would like mashed potatoes.
    • Preparation requirements.
      • Medium well.
      • Extra butter
      • No sauce.
      • No dressing/Dressing on the side.
        Again, many of these can be included in the smartphone software, but it is starting to look like placing an order is going to be a bit tedious.

It is doable, but. again, I would anticipate a lot of resistance.  One possible benefit that I see, is that you could place your order from, say, your cabin, and, then, wait for a message indicating that your table is ready.

I would be ready to try it.

In fact, now that I think of it, in this pandemic environment, I have used my PC to order several meals from local restaurants for pickup, and it has worked fine,  Pretty much the same thing.

Here’s what I’ve heard. If you don’t own or don’t want to use your phone & menu will be provided. Using your phone is to cut down on the menus which aren’t reusable. Imagine printing 1,000 menus for dinner & having to throw them out. 

Hopefully people will not be required to have a phone with them in order a meal in the MDR otherwise they may have problems with passengers on the ship. 

Perhaps anybody that’s been on a Medallion cruise will post about not having a phone in the MDR. 

Tom😎

Edited by trbarton

1 hour ago, trbarton said:

Here’s what I’ve heard. If you don’t own or don’t want to use your phone & menu will be provided. Using your phone is to cut down on the menus which aren’t reusable. Imagine printing 1,000 menus for dinner & having to throw them out. 

Hopefully people will not be required to have a phone with them in order a meal in the MDR otherwise they may have problems with passengers on the ship. 

Perhaps anybody that’s been on a Medallion cruise will post about not having a phone in the MDR. 

Tom😎

The ordering by phone in the MDR is a new proposal. I don't think anyone who sailed before the shutdown would have experienced it.

We were on the SKY in Dec 2019. The medallion has no interface, therefore it is nothing but a tracking devise that could only be used to open your cabin door and make purchases. Anything else had to be done with the Princess App on a cell phone or tablet.

My biggest problem with the medallions is that there is no recycling program for them. Yes they’re small, but they contain a battery and electronics. Where we live neither of those are to be thrown in the trash - they are to be recycled. Considering that Princess distributed hundreds of thousands medallions last year, they need to, at a minimum, have convenient recycling drop boxes at disembarkation to collect them so they can be recycled properly. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, shellbeachjim said:

My biggest problem with the medallions is that there is no recycling program for them. Yes they’re small, but they contain a battery and electronics. Where we live neither of those are to be thrown in the trash - they are to be recycled. Considering that Princess distributed hundreds of thousands medallions last year, they need to, at a minimum, have convenient recycling drop boxes at disembarkation to collect them so they can be recycled properly. 

I would write to Princess on this. They are in CA and probably have the same restrictions as you.