Would you get on a ship today?

Goodtime Cruizin

4 minutes ago, TLG40 said:
Thinking a bermuda cruise from NJ/NY port (local) this summer-  I want to see how the cruise lines are handling everything covid related first- I don't think it would be much fun to see the performers in masks- the rest of the staff sure np & I am fine with no self-serve at the buffet & wearing a mask in public nbd to me & using the cruise lines excursions also not a big deal especially in the caribbean.  

I am concerned about purchasing travel insurance and would be careful to read exactly what it covers.

Will have to just wait and see how everything goes- never thought cruising would be shut down this long! 

The cruise we canceled in 2021 was a 10 day - so it's going to be canceled now anyway. (CDC said 7 days max crusie)

Are you thinking a 10 day in Nov. '21 will be cancelled or changed?  Wouldn't that be enough time for 'things' to straighten out (hopefully)?

Edited by Oceangoer2

1 hour ago, Jess W said:

Then you fall under the last part I wrote.  If you have a fear or are in the high risk category, stay home.  The rest of us choose to live life.  

You have used the term 'rest of us' more than once.  I think you mean 'those that agree with you'.  The rest of us have differing opinions and shouldn't be lumped into the same category as you....JMHO.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Jess W said:

If you have a fear or are in the high risk category, stay home.  The rest of us choose to live life.  

I choose to live life too -- it's just that I'm in it for the long haul. I have a lot of life ahead of me and I love to travel. I am mature enough to delay my gratification and wait to travel until it is safe(r). While I am not in a high risk category, I recognize the small but very concerning risk that even if it is not extremely likely that I would die from COVID, the disease could leave me unable to pursue my extensive life and travel goals due to lung damage, heart damage, and more.

Perhaps a better word than "fear" would be "considered reflection of the pros and cons."

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Are you thinking a 10 day in Nov. '21 will be cancelled or changed?  Wouldn't that be enough time for 'things' to straighten out (hopefully)?

End of Jan 2021 was the cruise we canceled -- fingers crossed for Nov 2021 that's a full year away 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sanger727 said:

It’s great that you have the option to work from home. If I had the option I might feel differently than I do. The reality I have to life within is the fact that my husband and I work at a place where most employees think Covid is not a threat and don’t take precautions at work or at home. Therefore Covid rates at work are spiking so that is where I am the most likely to catch it. Working from home isn’t an option for us. And the people at the top of the organization also don’t take it seriously so the attitude of taking precautions like masks snd social distancing aren’t preached or practiced. I’ve worked here for 13 years and am in line for a promotion so changing jobs isn’t a good option for me.

I really feel for you and your DH.....this is a bind and you don't want to change employment the way it stands today.  I hope you are in a workplace where, if you wore a mask yourself despite what other do, you won't be penalized for it.

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I choose to live life too -- it's just that I'm in it for the long haul. I have a lot of life ahead of me and I love to travel. I am mature enough to delay my gratification and wait to travel until it is safe(r). While I am not in a high risk category, I recognize the small but very concerning risk that even if it is not extremely likely that I would die from COVID, the disease could leave me unable to pursue my extensive life and travel goals due to lung damage, heart damage, and more.

Perhaps a better word than "fear" would be "considered reflection of the pros and cons."

Since the outbreak began I have driven over 10,000 miles.  Visited several national parks.  Spent over 30 days in hotels.  Purchased and moved into a new home over 500 miles away.  So certainly not staying home.  However, I would not board a cruise ship from the US with current case numbers.

During all of those activities we have used masks whenever we were in proximity with others, we social distanced as much as possible.  We used take out for dining, with maybe a couple of outdoor dining times when there was enough separation, but have not dines indoors.

6 hours ago, Jess W said:

... If you have a fear or are in the high risk category, stay home.  The rest of us choose to live life.  

I think you probably mean well with your comment, but those of us who are in the high risk category WANT to live life as we used to, but cannot. I sincerely hope you never get cancer because this pandemic has absolutely stolen the limited amount of time I have left. I wish I could go on a cruise - I wish I could go anywhere - but sadly, I do have to stay home. I would politely ask that you show a little grace for those of us who cannot choose.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Langley Cruisers said:

I think you probably mean well with your comment, but those of us who are in the high risk category WANT to live life as we used to, but cannot. I sincerely hope you never get cancer because this pandemic has absolutely stolen the limited amount of time I have left. I wish I could go on a cruise - I wish I could go anywhere - but sadly, I do have to stay home. I would politely ask that you show a little grace for those of us who cannot choose.

That's an excellent reply--- While we never met, I truly hope for the best for you. 

If I might add --- Don't take anything personally on sites like this.

Read it, then delete it.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Argo. said:

Carnival Has removed December cruises from their website and Norwegian just cancelled December cruises.

Royal will do as it wants to..

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23796-carnival-removes-december-cruises-from-website.html

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23799-norwegian-cancels-all-december-cruises.html

And just an hour or so ago, Celebrity cancelled everything through Dec. 31st.

1 hour ago, Langley Cruisers said:

Not sure I have the same opinion that the poster meant well, but let's hope so.  I totally agree with you.  I do not have your issues (and I hope only the best for you), but I am close to 70 years old so while I will not live "in fear" as some describe it, I will do what any intelligent person would do and continue to weigh the risks versus the rewards.  For me right now, "living life" means doing the right things so that I still have a life to live!  My age puts me in a position where living life means I have to limit some of the things I would certainly prefer to do.  I am mature enough emotionally to recognize that by doing that, I am significantly increasing my chances that sometime in the hopefully not too distant future the life I had planned on living can happen.  

I just wonder if some of the posters who make comments about "living in fear" or saying they are going to "live their lives" (which suggest others are cowering in a corner somewhere), realize how very insulting those comments can be.  We can have differing opinions without insulting people  

Edited by phoenix_dream
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It is more than just the Wuhan virus issue - it seems to me that it is also about the onboard food, service etc. How will they be cheapened because of the cruise line debt?

Everyone on CC is fixated on the virus impacts, don't be fooled about the likely cheapened on board experience.

Ignoring the Wuhan virus impact, I would not book a cruise for a long time  until there is some long term, consistent, evidence of what the food, service and amenities are like - so I and others can determine value for money.

Just now, Doubt It said:

It is more than just the Wuhan virus issue - it seems to me that it is also about the onboard food, service etc. How will they be cheapened because of the cruise line debt?

Everyone on CC is fixated on the virus impacts, don't be fooled about the likely cheapened on board experience.

Ignoring the Wuhan virus impact, I would not book a cruise for a long time  until there is some long term, consistent, evidence of what the food, service and amenities are like - so I and others can determine value for money.

I agree with your post however for some of us cruising has been simply a method of transport.  Hopefully, for the cruise lines, there are enough people like me and the DH to fill a ship.  Who knows more people may prefer to get on a ship rather than being on a crowded jet for a transoceanic flight.   

Mary229, excellent point. It really is about the $ cost versus the product - and what that means to each person.

I expect to get exactly what is advertised and more - otherwise, I will not purchase again.

I cruise to get to a place. If the cruise lines cheapen their product - then I will fly and do private, customized tours. I have done that the last 2 years and it has provided far more value and enjoyment and engagement in the area, than a cruise.

To your point about a means of transport, we have moved on a lot from cruises, the customized land tour provides so much more experience. 

Stay well and God Bless America.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Not sure I have the same opinion that the poster meant well, but let's hope so.  I totally agree with you.  I do not have your issues (and I hope only the best for you), but I am close to 70 years old so while I will not live "in fear" as some describe it, I will do what any intelligent person would do and continue to weigh the risks versus the rewards.  For me right now, "living life" means doing the right things so that I still have a life to live!  My age puts me in a position where living life means I have to limit some of the things I would certainly prefer to do.  I am mature enough emotionally to recognize that by doing that, I am significantly increasing my chances that sometime in the hopefully not too distant future the life I had planned on living can happen.  

I just wonder if some of the posters who make comments about "living in fear" or saying they are going to "live their lives" (which suggest others are cowering in a corner somewhere), realize how very insulting those comments can be.  We can have differing opinions without insulting people  

Thank you so very much. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pinboy said:

That's an excellent reply--- While we never met, I truly hope for the best for you. 

If I might add --- Don't take anything personally on sites like this.

Read it, then delete it.  

Another point might be....don't write it...if you know you're baiting instead of helping.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I might add, that a little bit of fear- or shall we call it- respect about getting the virus -- is no really missplaced and would help all those who are in the risk group- as is my own mother, by the way.

All little bit of fear or respect might help fight the virus.

We are going through the second wave these days- which feels more like a freak wave here in Germany.

All cruises that went have been a sucess  and DID NOT BECAME MASS- SPREADING POOLS.

Partly we can thank all other travelers who where remiss in beeing carefull - even in country with high risk- for that second Tsunami - as I call it.

So yes- as I said I would go on a ship in a heartbeat- take my whole famiily with me- and wait out the virus on board. If that would ever possible.

2 hours ago, Doubt It said:

Stay well and God Bless America.

Yes- I second that God Bless America- which is great, always was great and in my book - always stays great- no matter- ähem- what!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Germancruiser said:

I might add, that a little bit of fear- or shall we call it- respect about getting the virus -- is no really missplaced and would help all those who are in the risk group- as is my own mother, by the way.

We are going through the second wave these days- which feels more like a freak wave here in Germany.

All cruises that went have been a sucess  and DID NOT BECAME MASS- SPREADING POOLS.

Partly we can thank all other travelers who where remiss in beeing carefull - even in country with high risk- for that second Tsunami - as I call it.

So yes- as I said I would go on a ship in a heartbeat- take my whole famiily with me- and wait out the virus on board. If that would ever possible.

Yes- I second that God Bless America- which is great, always was great and in my book - always stays great- no matter- ähem- what!

Are all of the lines that have been sailing out of Germany going to continue cruising now that the new restrictions have been put in place?  I have heard that Aida has canceled cruises for November.

11 minutes ago, Germancruiser said:

Vielen Dank. 🌺🌼🌺

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, nocl said:

Are all of the lines that have been sailing out of Germany going to continue cruising now that the new restrictions have been put in place?  I have heard that Aida has canceled cruises for November.

As far as I know- yes - they keep sailing - TUI issued a message in that confirmed that all cruises go ahead- since they are considered   " in Transit"!

5 hours ago, Langley Cruisers said:

You know nothing about me...  I AM in the high risk category.  I choose to live what is left of my life, not huddle in my home and regret missing out on life when I die.  I know I don't have long, but this virus has taken everything I want to do before it is too late and canceled it...  so, if someone opened up the option to cruise, even if I had to spend the time in my room with room service and sitting on the balcony watching the water go by...  I would be a lot happier doing that then dying here with regrets.  The virus may kill some people, but so does the flu, car accidents, heart attacks, and so many more things.  My mom died just 5 years older than what I am now, same way her mom died...  and I have a lot more medical issues, including now a new heart problem that the dr cannot identify.  I choose to live while I can, not end up being a covid suicide number.  

• Like 2

Well attitudes seem to be changing. In Ottawa, Canada, the Chief Health Officer suddenly did a U turn, and now says we will have to live with the Wuhan virus - that is totally a different message than yesterday, hummmmm. Up till now this person has been beating down on the residents of Ottawa. People have been in a lockdown in Ottawa, restaurants closed other than takeout or outside (in the snow) and no gyms etc.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/covid-is-going-to-be-with-us-for-the-foreseeable-future-ottawa-health-budget-assumes-pandemic-costs-for-the-duration-of-2021

Big backlash against the Ontario Government in the past week. Last Friday was the busiest on the roads in Vancouver since the virus started. People have had enough.

So, onwards we go to Live Large and accept the risks that come with every virus, driving, aging etc.

America, don't be so hard on yourself, Canada and other countries have not done much better. 

1 hour ago, Doubt It said:

Well attitudes seem to be changing. In Ottawa, Canada, the Chief Health Officer suddenly did a U turn, and now says we will have to live with the Wuhan virus - that is totally a different message than yesterday, hummmmm. Up till now this person has been beating down on the residents of Ottawa. People have been in a lockdown in Ottawa, restaurants closed other than takeout or outside (in the snow) and no gyms etc.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/covid-is-going-to-be-with-us-for-the-foreseeable-future-ottawa-health-budget-assumes-pandemic-costs-for-the-duration-of-2021

Big backlash against the Ontario Government in the past week. Last Friday was the busiest on the roads in Vancouver since the virus started. People have had enough.

So, onwards we go to Live Large and accept the risks that come with every virus, driving, aging etc.

America, don't be so hard on yourself, Canada and other countries have not done much better. 

As an Ottawa resident who has watched the city's and province's response to the COVID-19 virus since the beginning of the year, I see no sudden U turn or differences in messaging in the position taken by Dr. Etches, whose CTV interviews I watch daily. Health officials at all levels of government have tried to make people realize that the pandemic is not just going to disappear next week, next month or next year, but many seem to be oblivious to this reality. What Etches is promoting now is an increased emphasis being placed on the need for greater understanding by the public that we need to learn to live with the virus. The doesn't mean living large or simply accepting the risks, it means learning to live with the necessities of wearing face masks, social distancing, reduced contact with others, etc.

The recent spike in cases in Ottawa and elsewhere has been attributed to Thanksgiving gatherings. Dr. Etches, among others, pleaded with people to avoid family gatherings over the holiday and forewarned that there would be an increase in cases if the warning was to be ignored. This was a perfect example of people NOT learning to live with the virus.  

Edited by Fouremco
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

As an Ottawa resident who has watched the city's and province's response to the COVID-19 virus since the beginning of the year, I see no sudden U turn or differences in messaging in the position taken by Dr. Etches, whose CTV interviews I watch daily. Health officials at all levels of government have tried to make people realize that the pandemic is not just going to disappear next week, next month or next year, but many seem to be oblivious to this reality. What Etches is promoting now is an increased emphasis being placed on the need for greater understanding by the public that we need to learn to live with the virus. The doesn't mean living large or simply accepting the risks, it means learning to live with the necessities of wearing face masks, social distancing, reduced contact with others, etc.

The recent spike in cases in Ottawa and elsewhere has been attributed to Thanksgiving gatherings. Dr. Etches, among others, pleaded with people to avoid family gatherings over the holiday and forewarned that there would be an increase in cases if the warning was to be ignored. This was a perfect example of people NOT learning to live with the virus.  

Totally agree...messaging has remained constant in all provinces.  But like everywhere, there are some who ignore common sense, don't mask etc, and live according to what makes THEM happy and content...not so much what is good for those around them - ergo - covid cases go up.  BTW....no big backlash in Ontario;   major cities with big covid problem have had to return to closing down some entertainment facilities but with numbers no where near the US it'll probably open up when counts start to go down again.  Really happy the border is still closed and I think the airports bringing in visitors should be more stringent.  Case in point, Toronto is a major travel hub and infection seems to be higher in the major cities where travel from out of country is more prevalent.

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

there are some who ignore common sense, don't mask etc, and live according to what makes THEM happy and content...

Agree-- there seems to be quite a few contributors on CC with that " attitude ". 

• Like 2