Volunteers? Anyone know how to do this?

Logically some of the "passengers" will be given cards saying they now are coughing and running a fever, call the medical center.  Should be similar to disaster simulations since they need to check on the crew response.  Both victims and responders learn a lot in these, so logically crew members that are not medical folks would be used as "passengers" as much as possible.

13 hours ago, LeeW said:

Logically some of the "passengers" will be given cards saying they now are coughing and running a fever, call the medical center.  Should be similar to disaster simulations since they need to check on the crew response.  Both victims and responders learn a lot in these, so logically crew members that are not medical folks would be used as "passengers" as much as possible.

I think this scenario makes the most sense, and I seriously doubt that these "cruises" will ever leave their berth at the dock. I also doubt that these "cruises" will last more than 24-48 hours followed by days of debriefs by the CDC/USCG on what went right, what went wrong, what still needs tweaking , re-training/coaching of crew, and then re-setting the ship for a follow-on "cruise" with completely different scenarios to test. 

BTW, if I read the CDC order correctly, this scenario has to be carried out for each and every ship that RCL wants to sail from U.S. ports. Successful completion of the CDC hurdles on ship A would not translate into any other ship in the fleet.

24 minutes ago, orville99 said:

I think this scenario makes the most sense, and I seriously doubt that these "cruises" will ever leave their berth at the dock. I also doubt that these "cruises" will last more than 24-48 hours followed by days of debriefs by the CDC/USCG on what went right, what went wrong, what still needs tweaking , re-training/coaching of crew, and then re-setting the ship for a follow-on "cruise" with completely different scenarios to test. 

BTW, if I read the CDC order correctly, this scenario has to be carried out for each and every ship that RCL wants to sail from U.S. ports. Successful completion of the CDC hurdles on ship A would not translate into any other ship in the fleet.

Time spent at the dock is money.  They may not go far but I seriously doubt they will remain docked.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

45 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Time spent at the dock is money.  They may not go far but I seriously doubt they will remain docked.

Not necessarily disagreeing, but several scenarios can only be tested (like evacuation of an "infected patient"), and given that there is no competing cruise revenue generation coming from those ports, They may very well be able to deal with the various port authorities on costs. 

14 hours ago, LeeW said:

Crew members will be used as “passengers” as little as possible. ALL crew members need to learn their roles in the new disaster preparedness models; posing as “passengers” does not help them at all. This is SOP in these types of situations across many industries.

6 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Crew members will be used as “passengers” as little as possible. ALL crew members need to learn their roles in the new disaster preparedness models; posing as “passengers” does not help them at all. This is SOP in these types of situations across many industries.

I agree. And they are going to want to get the crew up to speed as quickly as possible so they can get some revenue producing cruises going. These people who want to volunteer think they are going to be on a free cruise doing normal cruise "stuff" and maybe have to devote an hour a day to training activities for the crew. When they see what it is really like I suspect a training cruise will have people longing for a good old fashioned muster drill.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

These people who want to volunteer think they are going to be on a free cruise doing normal cruise "stuff" and maybe have to devote an hour a day to training activities for the crew. When they see what it is really like I suspect a training cruise will have people longing for a good old fashioned muster drill.

Agree.  Everyone will be a "drill participant" as we call them in the nuclear power industry for emergency exercises.  There will be "drill controllers" aboard from the cruise line, CDC, CLIA, USPHS, whoever they choose to monitor and assess things aboard, and these people will create random situations to see how the passengers and the crew respond.  As I mentioned in another thread, someone could be sitting on the pool deck and a controller might walk up to them and say "this is a simulation exercise - you're not feeling well and have a slight fever" and then stand back and observe what happens.  Does the passenger alert a crew member, go to a phone and call medical, actually go down to medical, or do they just sit back in the chair and order another drink?  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Quantum is spending a lot of time docked. Ports, like Miami, may be waving/lowering fees for some time yet.

Edited by Biker19

On 11/8/2020 at 4:39 PM, Anton said:

Agree.  Everyone will be a "drill participant" as we call them in the nuclear power industry for emergency exercises.  There will be "drill controllers" aboard from the cruise line, CDC, CLIA, USPHS, whoever they choose to monitor and assess things aboard, and these people will create random situations to see how the passengers and the crew respond.  As I mentioned in another thread, someone could be sitting on the pool deck and a controller might walk up to them and say "this is a simulation exercise - you're not feeling well and have a slight fever" and then stand back and observe what happens.  Does the passenger alert a crew member, go to a phone and call medical, actually go down to medical, or do they just sit back in the chair and order another drink?  

I hope the cruise lines do come out with a way to sign up to participate in these "cruises".  I know it takes time, heck they will not even have crews for a month.  Since all lines will need to do the same thing, maybe they could work together to have a master site to select from.

On 11/3/2020 at 10:14 AM, leisuretraveler223 said:

I can't imagine being that desperate for a vacation that I would be a guinea pig for an industry that doesn't know what it's doing.

Damn, I love cruising, but let's just accept the fact that cruising as we know it is currently nonexistent.  Maybe it'll be back in 2022, but if you can't find a more appealing alternative right now, Hell, you're not even trying!

Wow....you are just a ray of sunshine....🙄

• Like 3

It has been a week or so since I read the 40 document but as I recall the test must include the ship sailing to each port of each proposed itinerary.  This is to observe the ships interaction with each port.  At the end of a test cruise it could take some time to evaluate the results before real sailing could begin.  I could be assumed that unless the rules change this could be a requirement in each homeport as they open.   If needed in other homeports Royal would not have and many staff in the area and would probably be more open to using travel agents and past passengers.    

Anyone else see this on a different website?  If I'm reading it correctly (and I'm not saying I am) then you will be quarantined during part of the cruise.  

As Ms. Freed indicated, Royal Caribbean employees will have the opportunity to volunteer to test out the new health protocols. The CDC will require these volunteers be at least 18 years old and sign a waiver to acknowledge that there are risk associated with a test cruise.

In addition, all volunteer passengers and crew members must follow testing protocols, which include rapid testing prior to both embarkation and disembarkation.

"The cruise ship operator must conduct a monitored observation period and laboratory testing of volunteer passengers, as directed in CDC technical instructions or orders, prior to embarking volunteer passengers on a simulated voyage."

Simulated sailings will need to meet CDC expectations for certification, which includes passengers wearing masks, wash and sanitize hands, and practice social distancing. 

During the test cruise, the following activities must be simulated:

• embarkation and disembarkation procedures, including terminal check-in, 
  • on board activities, including at dining and entertainment venues,
  • private island shore excursions (if a port is visited)
  • evacuation procedures,
  • transfer of symptomatic passengers or crew, or those who test positive for SARSCoV-2, from cabins to isolation rooms,
  • quarantine of all remaining passengers and non-essential crew, and
  • other activities as may be listed in CDC technical instructions and orders.

Royal Caribbean must modify meal service and entertainment venues to facilitate social distancing during the simulated voyage.

11 minutes ago, Domino D said:

Anyone else see this on a different website?  If I'm reading it correctly (and I'm not saying I am) then you will be quarantined during part of the cruise.  

As Ms. Freed indicated, Royal Caribbean employees will have the opportunity to volunteer to test out the new health protocols. The CDC will require these volunteers be at least 18 years old and sign a waiver to acknowledge that there are risk associated with a test cruise.

In addition, all volunteer passengers and crew members must follow testing protocols, which include rapid testing prior to both embarkation and disembarkation.

"The cruise ship operator must conduct a monitored observation period and laboratory testing of volunteer passengers, as directed in CDC technical instructions or orders, prior to embarking volunteer passengers on a simulated voyage."

Simulated sailings will need to meet CDC expectations for certification, which includes passengers wearing masks, wash and sanitize hands, and practice social distancing. 

• evacuation procedures,
  • transfer of symptomatic passengers or crew, or those who test positive for SARSCoV-2, from cabins to isolation rooms,

Royal Caribbean must modify meal service and entertainment venues to facilitate social distancing during the simulated voyage.

Just makes me want to take time out of work and leave the comfort of my home so I can be locked up in a room about the size of my old college dormatory room.

• Like 5

DH and I are retired law enforcement and have been through several emergency situation simulations, so we do understand what may be required of us if chosen to be test passengers. No, it won't be a true relaxing cruise experience but we are ready, willing and able to become test subjects to help us all get back to cruising the way we love again. To some out there who think we are, to put it nicely, being irresponsible, we are not. Granted, these test cruises are not for everyone, so make sure you know of what may be expected of you.

If we get to see any of you on board, CHEERS!

Sal and Tom

• Like 5

On 11/10/2020 at 5:45 PM, Domino D said:

• evacuation procedures,

Of course you will be quarantined. This is the whole purpose of the test cruises; to test the policies and procedures; not to practice sailing from point A to point B serving frozen drinks. 

• Like 2

I asked a friend who was texting with Mario Salcedo (since Mario tends to be in on breaking news) if RC was planning on taking volunteers (from the general population) to be passengers. He said, "no."  

Edited by MaritimeR&R
clarification

3 minutes ago, MaritimeR&R said:

I asked a friend who was texting with Mario Salcedo (since Mario tends to be in on breaking news) if RC was planning on taking volunteers (from the general population) to be passengers. He said, "no."  

Royal has an online form to fill out and are

actively  recruiting volunteers. 

On 11/3/2020 at 10:14 AM, leisuretraveler223 said:

I can't imagine being that desperate for a vacation that I would be a guinea pig for an industry that doesn't know what it's doing.

Damn, I love cruising, but let's just accept the fact that cruising as we know it is currently nonexistent.  Maybe it'll be back in 2022, but if you can't find a more appealing alternative right now, Hell, you're not even trying!

Absolutely!

We love to cruise but had to get away.

We’ve gone on 2 trips since this whole mess started. Once in June to Antigua and last month to Turks and Caicos.

Had a great time on both trips. No crowds.

Hotels in both places are doing a wonderful job of social distancing and cleanliness.   

Of course Covid tests were required but that was no problem. 
Already planning our next trip. 
If you’re healthy and responsible there are still great alternatives to cruising.

7 hours ago, MaritimeR&R said:

NO as you have to have a C&A number been a past passenger 🙂

https://cruisesimulationform.questionpro.com/?fbclid=IwAR1tQU7UNNw5A-Yb-Ax8TyUEI9ZMWnFNbj4uyFF-30saTGuMfy1SEPEogXc

On 11/10/2020 at 5:58 PM, Ocean Boy said:

Just makes me want to take time out of work and leave the comfort of my home so I can be locked up in a room about the size of my old college dormatory room.

It would be something different at least...?

Cheers

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

So would being locked up by the state's dep. of corrections. However, my home and work are both more appealing.

That too would be different also, I see what you are doing.. 😉

Beauty for me is my home is currently also my work.  I am loving the commute so far!

• Like 1