CDC Guidlines - Seven Day Or Less Duration?

Empehi

It would seem to prohibit Cunard's practice of selling "Grand" cruises - two transatlantics bookending a trip to Atlantic Canada (of course Canada's continued closure to cruising affects these itineraries) or the Caribbean. Or Grand European voyages originating in New York for that matter.

The sale of a round-trip transatlantic crossing under a single itinerary number is prohibited as well. I'm not a lawyer (although I've read lots of contracts) but I can further see back-to-back cruises with a total length over a week as falling under the prohibitions.

The specific wording of the prohibition:

The cruise ship operator must not sail or offer to sail on an itinerary longer than 7 days. CDC may shorten or lengthen the number of days permitted to sail based on public health considerations and as set forth in technical instructions or orders.

Edited by Underwatr

• 2 weeks later...

Is the CDC really trying to stop cruises with US ports sailing longer than 7 nights?  I tried posting the link from the News Page here but for some reason I couldn't do it. (probably me!).  If so, where does that leave Cunard?   Apparently this is valid until November 2021.

So, at the beginning of the week I was deliberating whether to transfer our 28 night cruise in September 2021 to an Alaskan cruise in 2022.

Then news of a vaccine broke so we decided to wait until early in the new year before making a decision.

And now this.......

16 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

Is there another way to interpret it?

Unfortunately I think there is.

Nothing I have seen says that any cruises longer than seven nights have to be in US waters, or to/from/visiting US ports, in order for the line to be barred from US ports.

Taken to extremes it could mean that if Cunard offer a 14 night cruise on QV in the mediterranean, then QM2 could not visit NY.

I don't think that is the intention, but It seems to be a valid interpretation.

22 minutes ago, Colin_Cameron said:

Unfortunately I think there is.

Nothing I have seen says that any cruises longer than seven nights have to be in US waters, or to/from/visiting US ports, in order for the line to be barred from US ports.

Taken to extremes it could mean that if Cunard offer a 14 night cruise on QV in the mediterranean, then QM2 could not visit NY.

I don't think that is the intention, but It seems to be a valid interpretation.

I think that would be a stretch and a possible interpretation of the applicability of the CSO to cruise lengths entirely outside of CDC (US) jurisdiction wouldn’t withstand much scrutiny.

The CDC certification and licensing is per ship.

Page 28:

Applying for a COVID-19 Conditional Sailing Certificate.

(a) A cruise ship operator must submit the following to CDC prior to commencing restricted passenger operations:

(3) A completed statement of intent stating the name, carrying capacity for passengers and crew, itinerary, ports of call, length of voyage, and expected onboard or shoreside activities, for the cruise ship that the cruise operator intends to have certified for restricted passenger operations.

I think QV would be barred from the US until US sailing criteria are met, but  QM2 could apply for with a conditional sailing certificate regardless of QV's itineraries.

• 2 weeks later...

If the CDC decision on the length of cruises in and out of US ports is still in place by the end of November 2021 a number of cruises (including mine!) will be impacted.  We know that the QM2 can do the crossing in 5 or 6 days, so would it be a way round this decision?  I realise that any schedule/itinerary would be thrown into disarray, but could it be done?

1 hour ago, babs135 said:

If the CDC decision on the length of cruises in and out of US ports is still in place by the end of November 2021 a number of cruises (including mine!) will be impacted.  We know that the QM2 can do the crossing in 5 or 6 days, so would it be a way round this decision?  I realise that any schedule/itinerary would be thrown into disarray, but could it be done?

Sure it could be done.  In order to cover the additional fuel costs, they would likely either shorten your cruise and leave the price the same, or cancel all the existing cruises to allow repricing at a higher daily rate.

On 11/23/2020 at 9:54 AM, babs135 said:

I would like to think that the 7 day rule will be changed by then because of the vaccine roll out (the statement does say that the period will can be reviewed, it is not 'set in stone'). Maybe a stipulation will be that all passengers and crew will have to prove that they have been vaccinated. I know that any vaccine is not 100% effective but the likelihood of an outbreak on board is much reduced especially if combined with the rapid testing at the start and during the voyage.

My wife and I are on a 28 day TA + USA / Canada cruise next September for my wife's 65th birthday so I  hope things change by then.

What is the vaccine roll out plan in the USA? (once approved of course). In the UK it is for all over 50s by April, well that's the plan!!!!!

11 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I would like to think that the 7 day rule will be changed by then because of the vaccine roll out (the statement does say that the period will can be reviewed, it is not 'set in stone'). Maybe a stipulation will be that all passengers and crew will have to prove that they have been vaccinated. I know that any vaccine is not 100% effective but the likelihood of an outbreak on board is much reduced especially if combined with the rapid testing at the start and during the voyage.

My wife and I are on a 28 day TA + USA / Canada cruise next September for my wife's 65th birthday so I  hope things change by then.

What is the vaccine roll out plan in the USA? (once approved of course). In the UK it is for all over 50s by April, well that's the plan!!!!!

We are scheduled to be on the same westbound crossing, finishing up our round trip. [Our final payment date is May first, so that's are go/nogo decision date]

There is much contention about vaccine distribution - I am hoping it will be available on demand before May [after all the designated special groups get theirs]

22 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

We are scheduled to be on the same westbound crossing, finishing up our round trip. [Our final payment date is May first, so that's are go/nogo decision date]

There is much contention about vaccine distribution - I am hoping it will be available on demand before May [after all the designated special groups get theirs]

Our final payment is due in June so that will be a key time for us to evaluate the situation and what the guidance / rules are at that time.

2 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

This is the one we are on (hopefully).  A vaccine is on the horizon which should ease restrictions, and they have until June to make decisions.

I admit not reading CDC recommendations, however would it be a good idea to have a Covid-19 dedicated port based cleaning teams at embarkation port, this world allow the cruises to leave the port on time, and give confidence that a full Covid-19 clean has been completed.

Our TA on QM2 is in early July, 2021, so we have to hope that:

1.  the border between Canada and the US is open so we can get to NY; and

2.  the crossing is allowed by the CDC - it should be as it is 7 nights, but I haven't checked to see if there is availability for an extension; and, last but not least

3. we will have been vaccinated.

This is our second attempt at a crossing in 2021, so we will leave  it to Cunard to  cancel....

On 11/24/2020 at 12:06 PM, Trimone said:

I admit not reading CDC recommendations, however would it be a good idea to have a Covid-19 dedicated port based cleaning teams at embarkation port, this world allow the cruises to leave the port on time, and give confidence that a full Covid-19 clean has been completed.

Surface cleaning is not required for COVID-19.   https://www.businessinsider.com/experts-excessive-cleaning-unnecessary-for-covid-19-prevention-2020-11?op=1

Not sure what the advantage of shortening the crossing would be.  They are already 7 days, so they should at least be legal on that basis.  It WOULD cut a lot into the profitability of the crossings since the crossing would be the limit of what a person could take, round trip crossings would be prohibited.

Roy

On 11/27/2020 at 12:10 PM, Vict0riann said:

Our TA on QM2 is in early July, 2021, so we have to hope that:

1.  the border between Canada and the US is open so we can get to NY ...

Although land crossings are prohibited for non-essential purposes, the border is open for flying from Canada to the U.S. even for tourists.   For the foreseeable future it is required to self-quarantine for 14 days upon return to Canada.

Edited by david,Mississauga

But also bear in mind the current restrictions on travel to New York State from many places:
======

COVID-19 Travel Advisory

Governor Andrew M. Cuomo has announced new guidelines allowing travelers to New York to “test out” of the mandatory 14-day quarantine. Travelers from states that are contiguous with New York are exempt from the travel advisory; however covered travelers must continue to fill out the Traveler Health Form. Essential workers will continue to be exempt as well. The guidance also applies to international travelers coming from any CDC Level 2 or Level 3 Health Notice country. The new protocol is effective Wednesday, November 4. 

For any traveler to New York State from a noncontiguous state, US territory or CDC level 2 or level 3 country, the new guidelines for travelers to test-out of the mandatory 14-day quarantine are below:

• For travelers who were out-of-state for more than 24 hours:
    • Travelers must obtain a test within three days of departure, prior to arrival in New York.
    • The traveler must, upon arrival in New York, quarantine for three days.
    • On day 4 of their quarantine, the traveler must obtain another COVID test. If both tests comes back negative, the traveler may exit quarantine early upon receipt of the second negative diagnostic test.

=====

Offhand I'm not sure whether Canada is a CDC Level 2 or Level 3 country.