Test everyone every day?

dockman

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Viking-says-shipboard-lab-can-test-all-pax-and-crew-for-Covid

If every single person on the ship is tested every single day and anyone who tests positive is immediately quarantined in a special infirmary section of rooms or is disembarked as appropriate it seems this COULD be a game changer to restart cruising ?  It seems apparent that the tests are getting faster as well as more accurate with new ones coming out often.  

Your opinion?

Likely more trouble than it's worth. Even with 100% accuracy, daily tests will on average allow positive cases 12 hours to infect others. The other serious problem is effective isolation. These people still have to eat, have their living quarters cleaned, receive medical treatment, etc.

13 minutes ago, dockman said:

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Viking-says-shipboard-lab-can-test-all-pax-and-crew-for-Covid

If every single person on the ship is tested every single day and anyone who tests positive is immediately quarantined in a special infirmary section of rooms or is disembarked as appropriate it seems this COULD be a game changer to restart cruising ?  It seems apparent that the tests are getting faster as well as more accurate with new ones coming out often.  

Your opinion?

NO  WAid all.

I would Never agree to  t hat   !!!!.

IF it works for you fine but............  nOT me and I am a 'red hot' high risk person   if I should be infected.  I would test once to board if required  and tha t is ll.

You asked and I certainly  answered your question !

Enjoy your cruise spent in the Infirmary.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ontheweb said:

From the article---reported false negatives are as low as 2% AND AS HIGH AS 37%. That last figure is not very encouraging.

yes correct but it does seem that they are working very hard to get more accurate testing so hopefully that will help....i just want to go cruising again soon....

25 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

2 month old article...much has changed in those two months. The NAAT tests Hawaii is requiring are fast, and on the much better end of accuracy.

i just did the NAAT one for hawaii two days ago...pretty easy process as they transmit bar code to your phone and when u arrive in hawaii they just scan your phone to see result and if negative you are in with no quarantine...i do think testing is getting better and better and will be a big part of cruising and other activities over coming months...

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, dockman said:

i just did the NAAT one for hawaii two days ago...pretty easy process as they transmit bar code to your phone and when u arrive in hawaii they just scan your phone to see result and if negative you are in with no quarantine...i do think testing is getting better and better and will be a big part of cruising and other activities over coming months...

Hope to be there in a month...

• Like 1

I feel like people are missing one very important issue here....potential exposure on the way to the cruise

How will you come?  Fly?  What if someone on the plane near you has the virus?  What if someone at the hotel or in a cab/van has the virus?  Parking lot shuttle if you drive yourself?  If you catch it from someone the day of or prior to the cruise, it will NOT show up in a test.  That will take at least a few days for most people and if you are asymptomatic,  won't know you have it and will be spreading it around.  

Much as I want sooooo bad to get back to cruising, and I can even drive to the port since I live so close, I'm not willing to go yet.  For me, there will have to be a vaccine AND very good therapeutics available before I'm willing to risk it.

Linda R.

• Like 1

I’m wondering if a vaccine, if one becomes available, would cause a test to be positive. If it does, and a vaccine becomes a requirement for boarding, it creates a dilemma. If you haven’t had the vaccine, you can’t board. If you have had the vaccine, you test positive and can’t board. Can we have the mass quarantine on Half Moon Cay?

• Like 1

broberts  talks about if infected leaving your room for it to be cleaned and eating. When the Princess ship was stuck off Japan in Spring everyone was confined to rooms infected or not and the fresh bedding / towels were left outside to clean up yourself, the meals were minimal and left outside the room on a tray . 

my brother was on the Zaandam out of buenos aires ...he said all were confined to their rooms for over two weeks and food (good selections he said) were delivered three times a day with tray left outside door and a knock to let you know.....clean sheets and towels also were left....NOBODY entered their room and they were not allowed to leave (except once or so where they were allowed to get fresh air in a very controlled isolated manner as they did not have a balcony)....described it as sort of a luxury prison with great food and comfortable room but can't leave....said they were fortunate to get to go to library right before lock down and stock up with a lot of books.....(lucky to be on a ship that still HAS a library)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dockman said:

...described it as sort of a luxury prison with great food and comfortable room but can't leave....said they were fortunate to get to go to library right before lock down and stock up with a lot of books.....(lucky to be on a ship that still HAS a library)

Another good reason to get a Kindle before your next lockdown....er, I mean cruise....if you don't have one already.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2020 at 8:30 AM, dockman said:

Your opinion?

Quarantines are not the answer.  How well did that work for the norovirus?  Not very well!

Vaccines are the only realistic answer, and will become available soon.  I am wondering why you did not mention vaccines as part of the strategy.

igraf

On 11/5/2020 at 9:40 PM, dockman said:

And for those who  (horror  of horrors  )  go  through life with only a land line phone ???    Since the plague arrived on ourr shoes, the land line meets my needs,,,,,,,,,,,,,,     I never have any desire  or regular use for a smart phone.......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The idea of possibly testing everyone (passengers and crew) daily would mean a BIG expense. Would the cruise lines pass that along to the passengers? Would they reduce the pay to the crew? Depending on the size of the ship, possibly three or more additional crew members to do the checking and paperwork involved.

Jim