Sad

di T

Well today I picked up my future cruise file( I know that is sad) and got rid of all the stuff that had been cancelled or lifted etc.The cruises 6 the flights about 10 the land vacations 3 wow that file is so slim now! But I’ve still got 4 future cruises for2021 only have one fight paid for. 
This has been a very trying year but the worst thing has been for us, is not seeing our family and especially the grand kids! Please hope this isn’t going to go on for much longer, just want to say stay safe guys, hopefully soon we will get back to living our lives❤️❤️

• Like 6

I'm not sad We took advantage of the break from cruising New furniture new fans carpeting I never realized how much we spent on cruising I also got both knees replaced I had been putting it off for years We are now living our lives and we are no longer hooked on cruising

We have 3 cruises booked but doubt they will happen One is a 10 day in March I really doubt this will happen Another in May Maybe and another in Nov 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We also used the forced break to do things we had put off.  DH had knee replacement, we got the interior of the house painted, new carpeting in 2 bedrooms , wood floor in 1 bedroom,  new furniture for the master and guest room, new lamps , new backsplash & landscape refreshed.  

We have already had 2 of our 2021 cruises cancelled & we just cancelled 2 for February before final payment.   Next is a 7 night on the Edge in April 🤞, if that gets axed it may be a new car for me in 2021 😂 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, tommy said:

I'm not sad We took advantage of the break from cruising New furniture new fans carpeting I never realized how much we spent on cruising I also got both knees replaced I had been putting it off for years We are now living our lives and we are no longer hooked on cruising

We have 3 cruises booked but doubt they will happen One is a 10 day in March I really doubt this will happen Another in May Maybe and another in Nov 

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. Pretty sure our February 2021 cruise , which was moved from 2020, will be a no go. Our March 8, 2021 11 night cruise will certainly be cancelled or drastically changed but of course X probably won't let us know before the December final payment is due. Our June 2021 Alaskan cruise out of Vancouver, moved from last June, is iffy. However our late November 2021 cruise will probably be a go, in some fashion. The good news: for the cost of a balcony cabin, we're taking an Amtrak trip across the Southern U.S. in October 2021 and, unless COVOD wipes us all out, that trip should be a go!!

Right now - patience is golden.

• Like 1

We thinned out all our booked cruise files and also files of ALL our past cruises..trying to pare  things down on saved paper.. taxes, banking, cruises etc,

Going through the old ones, gave me many nice memories..but it was time to thin things out,

We also used some of the  saved money for new furniture, some home upgrades and hopefuly a new front door ( on order)

We have one booking left..Lift and Shifted to Reflection.   2022

It could never happen, or be our last cruise or the re start of something we have enjoyed over the years...Time will tell.  Variables are  health conditions, cost and how the experience may change.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, di T said:

Well today I picked up my future cruise file( I know that is sad) and got rid of all the stuff that had been cancelled or lifted etc.The cruises 6 the flights about 10 the land vacations 3 wow that file is so slim now! But I’ve still got 4 future cruises for2021 only have one fight paid for. 
This has been a very trying year but the worst thing has been for us, is not seeing our family and especially the grand kids! Please hope this isn’t going to go on for much longer, just want to say stay safe guys, hopefully soon we will get back to living our lives❤️❤️

Like you the saddest thing is not seeing family and friends...

We presently one have one cruise booked for next September (from Southampton so no flights to worry about). We are focusing on what we can do before then rather than fretting about what we can’t. We have booked a boat on the Norfolk Broads for May and will use our touring caravan. 

Stay safe and stay positive...the sun will come out tomorrow.

• Like 3

Looking on the bright side with all the money sitting in our holiday bank account from the numerous cruises/ski trips/land based Spain trips I can probably retired a year earlier🙂

Adopted a labrador puppy too!

Looking forward to our South American cruise in January 2022. Was about to book a Med cruise in September on reflection but the price just went up😟

IMG_5982.jpg

• Like 3

Don't be sad my friend, we are all in the same shoes right now. I also have saved up some cash for my future vocation but unfortunately there is no place for me to spend it lol 

Well, as usual, waiting for the next year to straighten things up 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, di T said:

We have each holiday in a separate plastic folder. Lots of empty folders now, but still have 3 full for 2021. I would like to be thought of as a folder half full person🤣

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, hawkesbaynz said:

Looking on the bright side with all the money sitting in our holiday bank account from the numerous cruises/ski trips/land based Spain trips I can probably retired a year earlier🙂

Adopted a labrador puppy too!

Looking forward to our South American cruise in January 2022. Was about to book a Med cruise in September on reflection but the price just went up😟

IMG_5982.jpg

Is that Portland in the distance ?( Dorset UK, not Oregon).

Not sad at all.

Not cruising has allowed the time and $ to start my long awaited new business, upgrade my vehicle and home. Solid, long term, enduring, every single day enhanced value activities and investment.

Compared with the same old, same old, cruise vacation. As many others have posted, this virus has wonderfully ended the fixation on cruising, yeh, and opened a new world of possibilities.

We now have 4 land vacations planned with just our household and bubble friends when the border with America and elsewhere opens. 

If I need a fix of cruising, I look at pics and video on CC, go humm, nice, and then move on.

No cruising anticipated going forward.

• Thanks 1

So many of us with a 'vacation account' filling with no cruise on which to spend the $$s.  Seems some of us are looking at our homes more carefully.......but improvements make us feel better and at least it's going into a solid investment.  Still have one cruise booked for next Nov....vaccine announcement this AM makes me feel a little more positive as to this one sailing.  Stay safe all....the light at the end of the tunnel is widening!

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, di T said:

but the worst thing has been for us, is not seeing our family and especially the grand kids!

I totally hear you. Haven't seen our daughter (in person) since New Year's day - and my Mom only once since last March being that she has been in lockdown in assisted living until just recently.  Not being able to see family is far worse than giving up travel. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Doubt It said:

this virus has wonderfully ended the fixation on cruising,

Probably not the nicest way to state this on a cruise forum, but I know what you're referring to. Thing is, while we greatly enjoy land / car travel, we're very hesitant to do much of that as well due to staying in hotel rooms, eating at restaurants (which we don't do as of yet), etc. 

• Like 1

If I need a fix of cruising, I look at pics and video on CC, go humm, nice, and then move on.

Nah...I'm not anywhere near that accommodated to the idea of all the trips we're having to forego, especially a (likely) once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to be a guest of the chairman of Viking on a complimentary inaugural sailing on a new ship - which is scheduled for January. This is in partial compensation for the events of last March on the Viking Sky. A bit heartbreaking to think that we'll probably not get to do it unless they reschedule.  

A year down the tubes in terms of hardly any travel is just that...a year I never get back, with no idea of how many more opportunities might come along. Time is of the essence when it comes to continuing to whittle down the (long) bucket list. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, jelayne said:

if that gets axed it may be a new car for me in 2021

We were kinda working in that direction as well, and had just started some test driving before the virus came along. Thing is, no way am I getting into a small compartment like a car with a salesperson - don't care if he/she is wearing a mask or not. Same with doing lots of shopping for furniture, etc. More exposure = more risk. We were deep into that and basically put it on hold. Never know which stores are observing masking and which aren't. Have hardly gone to our local hardware store cause they don't follow the guidelines. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

Not sad at all.

Not cruising has allowed the time and $ to start my long awaited new business, upgrade my vehicle and home. Solid, long term, enduring, every single day enhanced value activities and investment.

Compared with the same old, same old, cruise vacation. As many others have posted, this virus has wonderfully ended the fixation on cruising, yeh, and opened a new world of possibilities.

We now have 4 land vacations planned with just our household and bubble friends when the border with America and elsewhere opens. 

No cruising anticipated going forward.

When we get to Vancouver in June to start our Alaska tours we look forward to meeting all you happy folk.🤣

14 hours ago, chemmo said:

Like you the saddest thing is not seeing family and friends...

We presently one have one cruise booked for next September (from Southampton so no flights to worry about). We are focusing on what we can do before then rather than fretting about what we can’t. We have booked a boat on the Norfolk Broads for May and will use our touring caravan. 

Stay safe and stay positive...the sun will come out tomorrow.

It’s been quite a few years since we sailed from Southampton, back when our kids used to come with us. Long way to travel from the lakes but would still consider doing in the future when the time is right! Norfolk broads lovely, we are planning on going up to Scotland more next year. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, tommy said:

True about the money we spend on the cruises! We were lucky to get away in January cruising, but have traveled more locally and have given the 3 kids a nice cash boost with the money we saved, 2nd lockdown now😕Hope your knee operations went well.

19 hours ago, jelayne said:

We also used the forced break to do things we had put off.  DH had knee replacement, we got the interior of the house painted, new carpeting in 2 bedrooms , wood floor in 1 bedroom,  new furniture for the master and guest room, new lamps , new backsplash & landscape refreshed.  

We have already had 2 of our 2021 cruises cancelled & we just cancelled 2 for February before final payment.   Next is a 7 night on the Edge in April 🤞, if that gets axed it may be a new car for me in 2021 😂 

That’s the other thing we did, I finally talked my husband into getting a lovely new car 🚘 we wouldn’t of done this if we had all those trips to pay for! 

5 hours ago, zap99 said:

We have each holiday in a separate plastic folder. Lots of empty folders now, but still have 3 full for 2021. I would like to be thought of as a folder half full person🤣

😂😂I like that folder half full

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, zap99 said:

Is that Portland in the distance ?( Dorset UK, not Oregon).

That is Portland, Dorset. We have had two short breaks to Dorset this Autumn. Marella, P&O and Cunard ships in Weymouth Bay. 

Saw three cruise ships in Southampton docks in the distance when we had a walk on the local beach on Saturday😪

Actually changed my sports car for an SUV to accommodate the puppy.  Did lots of online research then managed to get a test drive. The salesman pointed out the auto gear lever from afar and off I went with my wife.  Leased the car online and had it delivered to the house.

Did a lot of gardening in the spring. Garden was looking great. Unfortunately has been dug up and chewed by the puppy since. Doubt we will get a Xmas tree either as imagine she will climb and topple it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, di T said:

It’s been quite a few years since we sailed from Southampton, back when our kids used to come with us. Long way to travel from the lakes but would still consider doing in the future when the time is right! Norfolk broads lovely, we are planning on going up to Scotland more next year. 

We love your location and live not that far away. At least on the Broads we will be on the water even if not at sea! If life is still limited with covid, as it is a self catering option, we will also still feel ‘bubbled’ and safe.

The nice thing about cruising from Southampton is there are so many fantastic places to stop off at on the way (assuming hotels etc are fine by then). So easy to turn your cruise into a tour by stopping on route or pressing on down and then relaxing in the New Forest for a few days.

We are also Scotland lovers. Who knows, if our September cruise doesn’t happen, we may wonder in that direction too.

Stay safe, keep positive...Hopefully we will all soon be adding pages to our cruise files again.

• Like 1