New vaccine

hollyjess

Vaccinations seem to be steadily rolling out in our area, my in-laws aged 75 and 79 had their first vaccination yesterday and are booked in for their second at the beginning of April. I have heard of a few in their mid to late 70's that have been booked in which is very promising although the weather is on our side as we haven't seen any snow yet this Winter.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

My parents had their first jabs yesterday and I was surprised to discover they had the Pfizer one. As theirs was one of the last GP’s round here to join a ‘hub’ I thought it would be the Oxford one.

For local people, they live in Gillingham but their surgery comes under St Mary’s Island now - they were sent to Strood for theirs. Luckily my Dad drives.

That online Kent and Medway hub map needs updating, it shows the Strood Hub as commencing operation tomorrow Sunday the 17th. Glad to see they started early 🙂

2 hours ago, Jennizor said:

Lots of over 80s in our area have had their vaccinations and some their second one. I am in the group that should be done by mid Feb but have a concern. I have been told that if you are allergic to penicillin, as I am, you can only have the Oxford one. I have been told to remind the practice when I get my letter/phone call. My worry is if they don’t have any left, I will have to wait till new supplies come in. 

Re allergy to penicillan and Covid vaccines. I am allergic to penicillan and researched as much as I can and find no credible evidence you are at risk to any Covid vaccines.

• Like 2

Yes I've just checked the local hub listing in the Nottinghamshire locality and of the 6 hubs, 5 are showing availability for jab appointments on variously 19th, 20th and 21st January. Only one hub (Kingsmill Hospital) has no availability currently.

Despite my earlier misgivings it seem that we are motoring in the East Midlands. There is alsoi talk of more local sites being up and running in the next week or so.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chrisdriving said:

No mention of which vaccine was used and, honestly the number of people already vaccinated here an not one death reported!! Only a sore arm and/or fever, no different from the flu vaccine. 

Avril

• Like 2

1 hour ago, davecttr said:

That online Kent and Medway hub map needs updating, it shows the Strood Hub as commencing operation tomorrow Sunday the 17th. Glad to see they started early 🙂

My link said week beginning 11th for it!

13 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

No mention of which vaccine was used and, honestly the number of people already vaccinated here an not one death reported!! Only a sore arm and/or fever, no different from the flu vaccine. 

Avril

It was the Pfizer vaccine and 23 have now died according to later news.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, arlowood said:

Was that 23 in Norway or 23 worldwide?

Norway. I think I also saw 10 in Germany, 

23 die in Norway after receiving Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine - New York Post (iol.co.za)

several other news streams reporting same/similar

Edited by yorkshirephil

5 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

But all were very frail,  elderly and with pre-existing conditions, and possibly should not have been vaccinated.

It is the same here in care homes, I would not like to have to start making decisions as to whether we assess old people for frailty. We need to wait for the autopsy results. I am amazed anti vaxers aren't all over this. Very sad whatever the reason.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

It is the same here in care homes, I would not like to have to start making decisions as to whether we assess old people for frailty. We need to wait for the autopsy results. I am amazed anti vaxers aren't all over this. Very sad whatever the reason.

Tricky decision for some, I suppose, but as always a case of balancing the benefits (very substantial, possibly life saving) against the risks (statistically very small).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Very basically 95% efficacy means that of a 100 people vaccinated only 5 will catch covid. This is measured against 100 people who have a placebo. We can only wait and see how it works out as there are too many variances for a one size fits all rationale, plain and simply too many ifs and buts, some very eminent scientists are split in their opinions. This is the problem using a vaccine that has been tested to a degree for safety but not monitored and assessed for several years as a new drug typically would. The mRNA vaccines are brand new, no RNA treatment has ever been approved before, albeit the technology has been around for over 25 years. I am happy to stick my neck out and say that this is the future of vaccines among many other drug uses. 

In your example Phil, will the 5 who catch Covid get it as bad as if they hadn’t been vaccinated, or just mild symptoms? Have to say I agree with TerrierJohn that efficacy is confusing to many of us. As I understand it, the 95% can still catch Covid but will only get mild symptoms and won’t need hospitalisation, so what’s different about the 5%? 

As I understand it the none of the people in the Oxford trial who contracted COVID had serious disease or needed hospitalization. Apparently the Oxford trial tested all the participants at regular intervals so they were picking up asymptomatic cases as well. This may have contributed to the lower efficacy %age compared with the Pfizer vaccine which reports have said only checked for infection in test subjects who reported symptoms. Very confusing for us non experts but I wish someone would explain what it really means.  🤔

Another question, if you caught COVID on the way to the vaccination hub what would happen, would the virus 'win' or the vaccine give you a much better chance of fighting off the disease?

Edited by davecttr
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

Norway. I think I also saw 10 in Germany, 

23 die in Norway after receiving Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine - New York Post (iol.co.za)

several other news streams reporting same/similar

I have been looking, and I've also asked Prof Google various questions but can only find the deaths for Norway and Germany. They surely  be the only countries if this is a problem?

Avril 

9 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

In your example Phil, will the 5 who catch Covid get it as bad as if they hadn’t been vaccinated, or just mild symptoms? Have to say I agree with TerrierJohn that efficacy is confusing to many of us. As I understand it, the 95% can still catch Covid but will only get mild symptoms and won’t need hospitalisation, so what’s different about the 5%? 

Until more data is available it is difficult to say, which is why efficacy is reported as it is. Under normal circumstances the people taking part in clinical trials could be monitored for several years. Typically a vaccine would offer a level of protection to almost everyone, whether that is enough would also depend on the viral load that someone was exposed to, this is one of the reasons that so many health workers died in the first covid wave, obviously better PPE would have helped. 

23 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I think in this case the 5% get COVID with symptoms and 95% either don't get it or are asymptomatic so were not picked up as infected?

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

Autopsies have already been done. It was in a report I read earlier but can't remember what it said (sorry, I know that's not very helpful). 

2 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I think in this case the 5% get COVID with symptoms and 95% either don't get it or are asymptomatic so were not picked up as infected?

Everyone was swabbed regularly on oxford trial so asymptomatic infections were picked up. That's why they think the efficacy might be higher than it appears from the trial. They didn't do that for Pfizer trial though. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I have been looking, and I've also asked Prof Google various questions but can only find the deaths for Norway and Germany. They surely  be the only countries if this is a problem?

Avril 

There have been deaths in the US and at least 1 in Portugal. As of yet I have not seen anything that is conclusive, again it is a waiting game. The number of deaths even if vaccine related are minute when compared with the number of people vaccinated, however those who died are still someone's parents, grandparents etc.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Everyone was swabbed regularly on oxford trial so asymptomatic infections were picked up. That's why they think the efficacy might be higher than it appears from the trial. They didn't do that for Pfizer trial though. 

That's what I understand as well. And the Pfizer %age might be lower than reported?

• Like 1