New vaccine

hollyjess

Wasn’t your OH jabbed locally Jean?

In my book it’s fine if the less oldest/frailest/least mobile are vaccinated early at GP surgeries and then the younger and more mobile are done, at speed, at high volume mass vaccination centres

One size needn’t fit all

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Many thanks for the information, Dinglebert.  I will read my way through it, and hopefully feel reassured.  I am normally pretty tough, being one of the ancient and stoical brigade, but have been fairly ill from several allergies in the past.  And will obviously discuss with whoever is planning to give me the vaccine.

My oldest friend heard that you could just turn up in the Woking Centre, and did so.  They were pleased to see her and did her vaccination.  Being the Pfizer one, presumably they had more of it than the numbers booked in, and naturally did not want to waste it.  The Astra one is going to be easier for them all to handle, without the necessary extra cold storage.  

Fingers crossed, the organising all round seems to be pretty good , and we may be able to pat ourselves on the back, as a nation, in due course, for good handling of at least this aspect.

According to Google, if you have bad allergies, then the AZ vaccine is the one to go for.  It doesn't have the problem.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Wasn’t your OH jabbed locally Jean?

In my book it’s fine if the less oldest/frailest/least mobile are vaccinated early at GP surgeries and then the younger and more mobile are done, at speed, at high volume mass vaccination centres

One size needn’t fit all

Absolutely agree Eddie. Being in the 60-64 group I’ve a bit of a wait, but when time comes, I’m happy to drive to a centre an hour away provided there is ample parking and then let the ones not able to drive (for whatever reason) use the local facilities. Having said that my GP is only 100 yards away from my house so that would obviously be preferable if they start vaccinations at some point.

I’ve also realised that being negative does my mental health no favours at all - so roll on the Summer!

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Very true.  I am having a bored day today.  Cleaned the fridge, made dog biscuits, but it's so samey with nothing on the horizon.  Just seen the list of mass vaccination centres.  No flaming good for Devon & Cornwall.  Nearest one is 69 miles away.  I would go to that if there was no alternative, but we need something down here.

A lot of the old ladies in church today said they have now had the first vaccine jab.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

I am optimistic too, as I don't want to consider the alternative. 

We booked another UK holiday for June. Optimistic maybe, but we can move the deposit. Glass way over half full now.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

My main problem is that I have to use my leave before March 31st.  Can't go anywhere, so just means I sit at home when I could be working!

You need a more sympathetic employer Jean, my son's firm has allowed some leave to be carried over into the first half of next year.

• Like 1

Penicillin allergy does not prohibit you from having the Pfizer vaccine. I have given the jab to many people with certain anaphylactic reactions but these have been discussed on an  individual basis. I cannot say that everyone can have it but many more people are now than at the start of roll out, stringent rules have been  relaxed/ developed. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

They have allowed me to carry 5 days over, but that still leaves 2 weeks to use.

It is going to be a major problem for a lot of people after all the lockdowns since the start of the pandemic.

I wonder how successful you would be in sueing Mark Drakeford for closing shop in Wales just before your holidays?😉😃

• Like 1

My mum is a tough woman. She’s tiny and looks frail and has had half her stomach removed due to cancer. She’s 81. She had her Pfizer jab Friday and her arm still doesn’t hurt!! She had a headache all the next day but no arm ache at all, mine was really tender for about 12 hrs! My Dad’s hurt a bit too.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

My mum is a tough woman. She’s tiny and looks frail and has had half her stomach removed due to cancer. She’s 81. She had her Pfizer jab Friday and her arm still doesn’t hurt!! She had a headache all the next day but no arm ache at all, mine was really tender for about 12 hrs! My Dad’s hurt a bit too.

Just proves we are all different .My sister works in a nursing home and she said hers left her with aches & pains in her joints for a day or two. Which are in  the side effects..(ie flu like symptoms.)

She looked upon herself as one of the unlucky ones regarding the side effects. I reminded her that the unlucky ones are those who have had covid that made them very  ill and the ones in ICU units , the really unlucky ones are sadly not here to tell the tale anymore .:classic_sad:

The one I like to hear about is it causes a headache, so does doing party's (Like a good New Year if you do it right :classic_wink:) but you never hear us turning that one down ,do we ? :classic_smile:

I hope you & John are improving with the illness in your household ...Take care :classic_smile:

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

It is going to be a major problem for a lot of people after all the lockdowns since the start of the pandemic.

I wonder how successful you would be in sueing Mark Drakeford for closing shop in Wales just before your holidays?😉😃

John, sorryy but I don't understand your last sentence?  Never heard of Mark Drakeford.

6 minutes ago, kalos said:

Just proves we are all different .My sister works in a nursing home and she said hers left her with aches & pains in her joints for a day or two. Which are in  the side effects..(ie flu like symptoms.)

She looked upon herself as one of the unlucky ones regarding the side effects. I reminded her that the unlucky ones are those who have had covid that made them very  ill and the ones in ICU units , the really unlucky ones are sadly not here to tell the tale anymore .:classic_sad:

The one I like to hear about is it causes a headache, so does doing party's (Like a good New Year if you do it right :classic_wink:) but you never hear us turning that one down ,do we ? :classic_smile:

I hope you & John are improving with the illness in your household ...Take care :classic_smile:

We are ok thank you. John coughs if he moves! Which is ok while he’s home. When he’s at work it’s a very physical job so that’s a worry. We’ll see how he is in a few days.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Very true.  I am having a bored day today.  Cleaned the fridge, made dog biscuits, but it's so samey with nothing on the horizon.  Just seen the list of mass vaccination centres.  No flaming good for Devon & Cornwall.  Nearest one is 69 miles away.  I would go to that if there was no alternative, but we need something down here.

I think you must live in the wrong part of Devon Jean. I read somewhere that all over 80's in Plymouth had been vacinated and my nephews father in law who lives in Plymouth and is early 70's is having his jab next week.Its a postcode lottery.Some parts of Merseyside have vaccinated all their over 80 year olds but the part where my Mum lives only starting vaccinating last week.(She is 90 and had hers on wednesday.)I know a few 90 year olds in chesterfield who haven't had their jab and a friend who is 80 has got a date of 30 January yet my daughter in laws father who is 72 and lives in Enfield has got his first jab next week!

I understand individuals getting twitchy but it feels to me that the vaccine rollout is going better than we dared hope.  It’s only 17 January.  If someone had asked you on 17 December if you could hang on for 6 weeks after Christmas for a first jab, I’ll bet 99% of people would have been amazed, delighted and content.  It’s less than 4 weeks since Xmas and already most 80+ have had at least one dose

Hang on in there.  It won’t be long.

• Like 9

I wasn't complaining at all.  Simply saying there is no mass vaccination centre in Devon and Cornwall.  Nearest is in Somerset.

However, while out for a walk with the dog bumped into somebody who said our GP surgery may well be doing vaccinations in a week or two, so that will bring it on.

Edited by jeanlyon

6 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Just checked our nearest mass vaccination centre.  It's a wedding venue!  20/30 minute drive.   

Wedding venue ? .. Can you trade the Mrs in for a newer model whilst you get Jabbed :classic_unsure:

Best be nice to the Mrs , she could trade you in :classic_ohmy::classic_unsure:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ann141 said:

I think you must live in the wrong part of Devon Jean. I read somewhere that all over 80's in Plymouth had been vacinated and my nephews father in law who lives in Plymouth and is early 70's is having his jab next week.Its a postcode lottery.Some parts of Merseyside have vaccinated all their over 80 year olds but the part where my Mum lives only starting vaccinating last week.(She is 90 and had hers on wednesday.)I know a few 90 year olds in chesterfield who haven't had their jab and a friend who is 80 has got a date of 30 January yet my daughter in laws father who is 72 and lives in Enfield has got his first jab next week!

Can I ask how you know about vaccinations in various parts of Merseyside?  We are on the edge of that area, but cannot find any details about how many have been jabbed anywhere.