New vaccine

hollyjess

There was an item on the BBC south today programme last night about the Weald in Kent where the local GP group has declined to provide a vaccination service. People will have to travel to Headcorn in an adjacent area which has offered cover, I checked this morning and that hub is due to start vaccinating tomorrow. In my area 2 of the 5 hubs have had their status changed to 'not started' yet.

In an interview it was reported that lots of people are still contacting hubs despite being told not to.

It has become a real postcode lottery 😟

• Like 3

The Newark Centre is opening today (just made it into 'this week') and should be able to do quite a heavy workload as it is a biggish site.  Over 80's should get their letters by the middle of next week, apparently.

I have heard that some sites are not getting the vaccine when it was promised; I think we all have to be patient as it is a very large undertaking and the urgency is much greater than with the flu vaccine, which has been going on for many years.

• Like 3

Concerning comments from experts on the Today programme just now about the new strains we’re trying to keep out of the UK not perhaps being controllable by the current vaccines. Echoing comments yesterday from Patrick Vallance during the PM briefing saying the same thing.

We can doubtless manufacture new vaccines within a few months, or even less, but a revaccination programme? 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Concerning comments from experts on the Today programme just now about the new strains we’re trying to keep out of the UK not perhaps being controllable by the current vaccines. Echoing comments yesterday from Patrick Vallance during the PM briefing saying the same thing.

We can doubtless manufacture new vaccines within a few months, or even less, but a revaccination programme? 

I would be surprised if the vaccine manufacturers didn't have samples/coding for the new strain and were not already working on a modified vaccine, in the same way they do every year with the flu vaccine. This is where the companies making the mRNA vaccines will step up as they can react much quicker with this technology. 

• Like 5

My parents had their first jabs yesterday and I was surprised to discover they had the Pfizer one. As theirs was one of the last GP’s round here to join a ‘hub’ I thought it would be the Oxford one.

For local people, they live in Gillingham but their surgery comes under St Mary’s Island now - they were sent to Strood for theirs. Luckily my Dad drives.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I would be surprised if the vaccine manufacturers didn't have samples/coding for the new strain and were not already working on a modified vaccine, in the same way they do every year with the flu vaccine. This is where the companies making the mRNA vaccines will step up as they can react much quicker with this technology. 

I’m inclined to agree, and the new mRNA vaccines can certainly be modified quickly. Production, testing and distribution takes a little longer, but it’s the actual revaccination programme that concerns me, particularly if we have to revaccinate, maybe within weeks, all those being vaccinated now.

A huge and expensive operation, and one that we need to get right, but no real alternative if the new strain does prove resistant.

46 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I’m inclined to agree, and the new mRNA vaccines can certainly be modified quickly. Production, testing and distribution takes a little longer, but it’s the actual revaccination programme that concerns me, particularly if we have to revaccinate, maybe within weeks, all those being vaccinated now.

A huge and expensive operation, and one that we need to get right, but no real alternative if the new strain does prove resistant.

I thought Patrick Vallance said that the vaccine was unlikely to be ineffective against any new variant but that it might reduce efficacy. When he was talking to the commons select committee in the week, he estimated that we were a couple of years away from needing a tweaked covid vaccine. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, purplesea said:

There seems to be little going on down here with regards to vaccinations. The local news keeps on about how have been administered in Devon but they have only mentioned Cornwall once, a practice in Penzance.

I know they're using Plymouth Pavilions and have been for a while but that's not really much use to the residents of Cornwall. My parents are in Penzance but haven't heard anything yet. I'm sure I read that the army were going to get vaccinations on the go in Cornwall from next week. Nadhim Zahawi was saying that they would send a mobile vaccination vehicle to places that weren't within 10 miles of a vaccination hub. Not seen much about it since though. 

1 hour ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

I thought Patrick Vallance said that the vaccine was unlikely to be ineffective against any new variant but that it might reduce efficacy. When he was talking to the commons select committee in the week, he estimated that we were a couple of years away from needing a tweaked covid vaccine. 

Yes.  On the briefing he said that the current vaccines should work against the UK variant and one of the Brazilian versions, but it was unclear about the other Brazilian or the South African ones, though he thought they are more likely to affect the efficacy, though still be susceptible to some extent.  I have not tried to quote but was definitely my understanding of what he said and it seemed pretty clear as he said it, so very unlikely I misunderstood, (though my explanation not worded so well).

He also said that, as far as he was aware, the Brazilian variant that was likely less susceptible to the vaccine is not in the UK at present, though the other one is here already.  

Edited by tring
  • Like 2

Unexpectedly, the day has become glorious, with warm sunshine.  The dog park was a riot, as lots of us had delayed walkies till the rain had passed.  Lots of canine 💤 going on now

We passed the surgery on the way there and back.  It all looked very efficient, with a least half a dozen volunteers in hi-viz jackets outside, ensuring safe crossing of the road, ticking off lists etc etc.  And lots and lots of sprightly and not so sprightly oldies on foot, rolling walker and wheelchair, looking as though they were smiling underneath their face masks, making their way in.  There was a shift change for volunteers as we came back, and the guy with the clipboard seemed to have it all under control

It might be our turn before the end of the month ... 🤞

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

There does seem to be a lot of concern around what efficacy means. I have always assumed that the 60, 70 or 90% figures represent an average level of protection that a vaccine will provide across a range of people, some will get a high level of protection, some moderate and some only a low level, but it is unlikely that anyone will get no protection at all. But some people seem to assume that a vaccine with 70% efficacy will leave 30% of those vaccinated with no protection at all.

This is definitely an area that would benefit from an expert with the common touch to give us better guidance.

30 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

Unexpectedly, the day has become glorious, with warm sunshine.  The dog park was a riot, as lots of us had delayed walkies till the rain had passed.  Lots of canine 💤 going on now

We passed the surgery on the way there and back.  It all looked very efficient, with a least half a dozen volunteers in hi-viz jackets outside, ensuring safe crossing of the road, ticking off lists etc etc.  And lots and lots of sprightly and not so sprightly oldies on foot, rolling walker and wheelchair, looking as though they were smiling underneath their face masks, making their way in.  There was a shift change for volunteers as we came back, and the guy with the clipboard seemed to have it all under control

It might be our turn before the end of the month ... 🤞

Sunshine here in West Sussex also. However I had a rather wet walk with Freddie this morning. We both came home soaked.

Good to hear your surgery is jabbing today and I’ll keep my fingers crossed your turn is soon.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

There does seem to be a lot of concern around what efficacy means. I have always assumed that the 60, 70 or 90% figures represent an average level of protection that a vaccine will provide across a range of people, some will get a high level of protection, some moderate and some only a low level, but it is unlikely that anyone will get no protection at all. But some people seem to assume that a vaccine with 70% efficacy will leave 30% of those vaccinated with no protection at all.

This is definitely an area that would benefit from an expert with the common touch to give us better guidance.

That's my understanding as well. ie 90% protection means that 90 out of 100 people will not contract the virus, but that the remaining 10 will still have a certain level of immunity.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I think the important thing to note from the Oxford trials is that none of the vaccinated people had severe covid or needed hospitalisation, even if they did test positive. 

• Like 4

Lots of over 80s in our area have had their vaccinations and some their second one. I am in the group that should be done by mid Feb but have a concern. I have been told that if you are allergic to penicillin, as I am, you can only have the Oxford one. I have been told to remind the practice when I get my letter/phone call. My worry is if they don’t have any left, I will have to wait till new supplies come in. 

16 minutes ago, Jennizor said:

Lots of over 80s in our area have had their vaccinations and some their second one. I am in the group that should be done by mid Feb but have a concern. I have been told that if you are allergic to penicillin, as I am, you can only have the Oxford one. I have been told to remind the practice when I get my letter/phone call. My worry is if they don’t have any left, I will have to wait till new supplies come in. 

Can I ask who gave you that advice as does not seem to follow what had been said in the past.  DH is allergic to penicillin, but our surgery website says their hub has been supplied with the Pfizer one.  Aged 70 so no need to worry just yet.

I really thought about this before I raised the issue of penicillin. It came from a retired GP who has just returned to work to help with the vaccinations. She said not to worry about stocks of the Oxford vaccine but,  as they are ramping up the numbers vaccinations, I did exactly that. 

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Very basically 95% efficacy means that of a 100 people vaccinated only 5 will catch covid. This is measured against 100 people who have a placebo. We can only wait and see how it works out as there are too many variances for a one size fits all rationale, plain and simply too many ifs and buts, some very eminent scientists are split in their opinions. This is the problem using a vaccine that has been tested to a degree for safety but not monitored and assessed for several years as a new drug typically would. The mRNA vaccines are brand new, no RNA treatment has ever been approved before, albeit the technology has been around for over 25 years. I am happy to stick my neck out and say that this is the future of vaccines among many other drug uses. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

More delays reported in North Wales today. 

GPs in north Wales are being advised to consider delaying Covid-19 vaccine appointments early next week due to a hold-up affecting about 26,000 doses. 

"The First Minister of Wales Mark Drakeford has stated Wales are slowing down the delivery of the Pfizer vaccine so they can space it out evenly over 6 weeks, rather than administer it as soon as possible" (from Politics for All twitter feed).

It doesn't seem to be going down well with some of the scientists.

• Like 5