The Daily for Friday Nov 27, 2020

richwmn

today is Black Friday , Buy Nothing Day, and Pins and Needles Day

The easiest way to figure the cost of living is to take your income and add ten percent.

Meal suggestion for today - Honey Pork Chops With Pears and Bourbon

Drink of the Day - Greyhound

Wine of the day - Rust en Vrede Syrah Stellenbosch vintage 2014

at Sea Mediterranian
Noordam destination Gibraltar eta 11/27

Malta Anchorage
Zuiderdam

Rotterdam - Botlek Shipyard
Westerdam

Panama Anchorage Pacific
Koningsdam

Torquay Anchorage
Nieuw Statendam
Volendam
Zaandam

Southern Caribbean
These ships are not associated with a particular port but are 'at sea'
Eurodam
Nieuw Amsterdam
Oosterdam

1127World.png

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for the daily, Rich.  Interesting group of days; while I'll fall far short of practicing it my favorite is Buy Nothing Day.  I've been quite fortunate to be not affected by the quote.  Honey Pork Chops sounds quite nice; my alternative is Honey Dew Melon and Papaya Gazpacho, and Grilled Lamb Chops with Apple Chutney, as served on the Prinsendam November 27, 2013.

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

Hflors son and daughter both ill with likely covid

Covid personally touching durangoscots, Hflors, StLouisCruisers,

durangoscots niece’s husband in the ICU

Stressed out and overwhelmed medical workers

DeeniEncinnitas

RIP Diego Maradono

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Welcome back Copper 10-8

Occasional posters like ChaCr

Front Line Health Care Workers and support staff

Teachers and school workers

Welcome home Cruising along

Claudio finishing the flagstone and finding new homes for old appliances

Cruisemom42's friends completing quarantine

durangoscott walking shelter dogs

OverheadFred preparing takeout for their kids

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain

Roy

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Good morning.  Black Friday used to be fun, many moons ago.  We don't need anything bad enough to stand in line for hours, so Buy Nothing Day applies.  LOL  I so agree with the quote.

The menu sounds interesting, will have to look that one up.

Greyhound:

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 ounce vodka
  • Grapefruit juice, to top
  • Garnish: lime wheel

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving.  Prayers and celebrations to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily Report.

Interesting days.  Buy Nothing day for me.

The meal suggestion sounds great, I was hoping for take out tonight, so I'll make your suggestion another night.

The Drink of the Day sounds good to me.

Looking forward to reading about the wine.

Sending prayers for everyone.  Cheers to all celebrating something.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 13

22 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Doesn’t Black Friday start in October now?  It sure seemed to based on signs in the mall we occasionally take our morning stroll.

Black Friday has been going on for a while now, but must give way to Christmas. In my area at least two radio stations (that I know of) are playing Christmas music full time and have been for at least a week. I know of several people who have already put up Christmas decorations, and that used to start the first week in December.

• Like 8

Good morning all!!!    Good news for us dd tested negative!!!!!!   Soooo happy!!!   Now waiting for ds and family.   

I have never been a "black Friday " person way to many people for me.   This year we are going to be a "buy nothing".   We just talked to our children.  Things are so uncertain we all decided no gifts this year.  Everyone was fine with that. 

Bob and I bought our christmas gift for the two of us back in September.  Actually its a Christmas, birthday, Anniversary etc. gift for the next year!!!  We pick him up today.  Its a Cavalier king charles puppy named "josh".  Dh picked out the kind and I found a breeder right near where we live.  We are pretty excited.

Pins and needle is my kind of day as I quilt so I use them all the time!!!

Left over turkey is on our menu today, but the suggestions both sound good to me!!!

The saying of the day sounds about right!!!  For us older set !et me add my own saying.  "When figuring out how much you will need to retire on. Figure the number and then multiply by three!!!"  

Our drink sounds good as I love grapefruit juice!!!  As always I will be watching for the description of the wine.

History November 27, 1095 Pope Urban ordered the very first crusade.   Who knew???

Sending prayers to all on our prayers list and a big shout out to the folks on our celebration list!!!

I hope everyone has a great day!!!  

• Like 21

Good morning and thanks for the update.

I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving.

I can’t say I won’t buy nothing today . Thinking about buying a wreath today at a local nursery. They normally had a “Night of Joy “ open house on Black Friday where you made hotdogs on a fire pit and other treats , all free . This year it’s prepackaged snacks.

Also, need to pickup chocolate milk at the dairy for church service on Sunday.

We’re having a Lovefeast service for the 1st Sunday in Advent., along with Sugar cake. It will be prepared in a bag for self service . Normally it would be served during the service . A Lovefeast is the sharing of a common meal together. Moravian tradition.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists l.

• Like 15

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  We'll be participating in Buy Nothing Day, even though many of the stores in Canada are displaying Black Friday sales.  We don't need anything, but if we did, we would try to buy local, rather than from the big guys.  I put my pins and needles away a couple of days ago when I dismantled my "sewing centre" on the dining room table, but will bring them back when I start sewing masks again in January.

I'm surprised after yesterday's feasting, that today isn't Sweatpant or Elastic Waist Day!  LOL

A great drink today, as I love grapefruit juice.  While I like the sound of both menu suggestions, we'll be having stew I found in the freezer when I was looking for something else yesterday. And wine.

We have to start eating from the freezer, because I need room to put the Christmas baking.  Even though we're going to be by ourselves, I still plan on making the traditional cookies, etc., and will distribute them by leaving treat bags on people's doorsteps.

@Hflorsthat's great news about your DD; fingers crossed that DS  and family tests the same!

Prayers for everyone who needs them, and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising our wineglasses to all on the celebration list.  Be well, stay safe, wash your hands and wear your mask.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 14

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich!

Roy, I really appreciate how well you take care of our lists! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! Denise, hope your thumb is doing well & you were able to enjoy yesterday! Joy, hope you & Allen had a great day! We have another red wine today. @Hflors, Helen - wonderful news about your daughter. Praying that DS’ results are the same!

Yesterday was a perfect day to have an outside meal. So blessed. I cheated and purchased a ready-to-reheat meal from our community golf club restaurant. Their food is amazing, but the acoustics in their restaurant make it really difficult to have a conversation. So I picked it up & we ate at home. I made a couple of Meyer lemon pies and for a twist made them with a pecan crust. We had wine, of course.  Even Bindi enjoyed the feast, and took a post-meal nap on the warm pavers after her turkey.🐕 My favorite part was when my 13 year old great-nephew said grace. This normally shy young man was so eloquent!

Love today’s combo of days! Great quote.  The meal sounds amazing! I might have to try the drink, though I wonder how it got its name. @ger_77, I am currently in my workout capris - which have a lot of “give”.😎 @richwmn, I think many folk are getting into the spirit earlier this year, in order to have something fun & pleasant on which to focus.

Praying for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating.

Stay well everyone!

This South African Syrah/Shiraz has excellent ratings, and a decent price. I found one online vendor that offered it for $24.99.

#49 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2017

Deep Ruby. Pronounced Dark chocolate and earthy aromas are, followed by sweet spices – nutmeg, cinnamon and toffee essence. The palate is full and juicy with velvety tannins that are fresh with flavours of strawberries and sour cherries.

92 - Wine Spectator: This is well-rendered, with a core of bramble-edged boysenberry, blackberry and raspberry fruit laced with mouthwatering savory and anise notes. Shows judicious toast through the finish, as roasted apple wood details dance through, letting the fruit win out in the end. Drink now through 2024.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 15

31 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Sitting on my deck having coffee. All of a sudden there is a cruise ship coming across the bay to port Canaveral! Sure enough, it is one one of the Disney ships! I have not seen a ship here in months!!

Thanks for letting us know.  I'm enjoying looking at the Disney ship.  We've been on two Disney cruises with our son and family.  Lots of fun!

@ger_77 Everyday is elastic waist pants day for me!  I like to be comfortable while sitting at home avoiding coronavirus!

@Hflorswonderful news about DD testing negative.  Hoping for the same for your DS and family.

Leftovers for us as well.  One turkey breast makes a lot of leftovers when you have so many side dishes with your holiday meal.

Excited to say my DD is driving from Ohio to Missouri today to visit with her Gram in the nursing home.  She was given permission by the Director, and will stay until Sunday.  She is alone and doesn't plan to visit with any other relatives while there, unfortunately, but that's the way it is when you are entering a nursing facility full of susceptible residents.

• Like 13

Best of the morning to you Rich. Thank you for the Daily. (Good morning Callie)

Roy that is sweet of you to add Claudio to the cheers list. I'll have to tell him when I see him. And you are so thoughtful for remembering all the new additions to our CC family.

Denise, hope you got some sleep last night sis, and I hope the champagne helped. We did a whatsapp call with my sister and 2 nieces in Poway, and they were well into their 2nd bottle of bubbly. Thank you sister Ann for the wine review. Bramble edged. Hmmm. Hope you both had a great Thanksgiving. Love you two!

Congratulations to Josh the new puppy going to his forever home with Hflors. Pictures please!

I agree with Gerry, today should be sweat pants or stay in jammies and shop online day. I'm still full!

Saying prayers and giving thanks for all on Roy's list. Our friend down the street has her last 2 chemo treatments in next few days, then on their way, moving back to Colorado next week. She said she's felt no side effects. That is the power of prayer.

After my MRI today we are going to try for our favorite Mexican place for late lunch. Although it is supposed to rain and be high of 65, they have heaters and plastic outdoors. Here I am talking about food when I am still stuffed from yesterday!

Blessings to all. Be kind, stay safe. I just realized last night I only have 12 Christmas cards from Hawaii last year. I will start writing them today while waiting on my order to arrive tomorrow. Love y'all!

• Like 14

Thanks for the Daily, Rich & our morning smile 🙂 

Pretty ironic to have Black Friday & Buy Nothing on the same day 😉 

No Black Friday sales for us, thanks.  I do have to get groceries today (isn’t that exciting?) but I think we still fall under the Buy Nothing day.

LOL on the quote - that’s just about it too.

that meal sounds excellent but We didn’t have what I planned last night so I guess it will be on the menu tonight 😉 

That drink sounds good and easy to make.  Thanks @summer slope

@richwmn it’s the same here as what @cat sheparddescribed.  A lot of people have turned on their lights early this year.  I think people are just trying to cheer everyone up.

@Hflorscongratulation on the new puppy.  I hope you don’t suffer from too much sleep deprivation for the first little bit 😉 

Talking of dogs, made me think of this:

4B596FEB-6DA6-4312-9C75-84C0FB6F29FC.jpeg.8aa202b3efdc6b95231f4499df4012dc.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & those that need them and a very big clink of the glass to everyone on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great T.G.I.F. Everyone.  Stay safe and don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 16
  • Haha 2

Good Friday morning, all

I love hearing the good news people are sharing today!  

I woke to the aroma of DH’s turkey cooking; we will have our feast mid-afternoon.  Sauerbraten is on hold until tomorrow.  A little more time in marinade is always a good thing.  

We ended up having pizza yesterday as DDIL and I spent the day decorating our Christmas tree and a large wreath we hang inside our front window.  I thought I love Christmas, but I pale in comparison to DDIL 😀 Many of our ornaments come from my childhood or have a story.  I told her I would make sure she gets them when the time comes to parse out some possessions.

SO happy to hear that ships are starting to move around a bit, and I’m looking forward to the prospect of hearing a woman captain give the noon update on a HAL ship!

Best to all for a happy weekend - mask up!

• Like 12

21 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Today's sunrise will likely be the final one from my 2014 Wind Star transatlantic.  November 28 was Thanksgiving that year.

dawn1128.jpg

Roy

🌺Good morning Roy! Thank you for another remembrance of The Wind  Star!! 
Have my cup of coffee and a nice smile

looking at this sunrise! Hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful! Thanks as always for your contributions to our Daily and the care you give to all!!

PS my thumb feels so much better this am no swelling! Sooooooo... I was thinking my needs are small and deserving family CCERS with real needs should be on your list! Maybe we can take me off? I promise to be good! LOL☺️
Denise😊

• Like 10

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! Denise, hope your thumb is doing well & you were able to enjoy yesterday

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Dear Ann! Happy Past Thanksgiving to you!!! I think the idea with your dinner was awesome and I bet those pies were wonderful!! Bindi I can just see her so relax and enjoying the warm sun !

Thank you for your your caring side you give to all here daily! You know sis and I

enjoying the wines you describe LOL!!

❤️❤️Love to you 

Deeni🌺

• Like 7

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the daily, Rich.  Interesting group of days; while I'll fall far short of practicing it my favorite is Buy Nothing Day.  I've been quite fortunate to be not affected by the quote.  Honey Pork Chops sounds quite nice; my alternative is Honey Dew Melon and Papaya Gazpacho, and Grilled Lamb Chops with Apple Chutney, as served on the Prinsendam November 27, 2013.

Today's care list:

Mrs Vmax with radiation looming

Caregiver Gsel and her DH battling Alzheimers

Hflors son and daughter both ill with likely covid

Covid personally touching durangoscots, Hflors, StLouisCruisers,

durangoscots niece’s husband in the ICU

Stressed out and overwhelmed medical workers

DeeniEncinnitas

RIP Diego Maradono

and Krazy Kruisers and Joe

Today's Celebrations and shoutouts:

Welcome back Copper 10-8

Occasional posters like ChaCr

Front Line Health Care Workers and support staff

Teachers and school workers

Welcome home Cruising along

Claudio finishing the flagstone and finding new homes for old appliances

Cruisemom42's friends completing quarantine

durangoscott walking shelter dogs

OverheadFred preparing takeout for their kids

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain

Roy

Where has COPPER 10/8 Been?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Denise, hope you got some sleep last night sis, and I hope the champagne helped. We did a whatsapp call with my sister and 2 nieces in Poway, and they were well into their 2nd bottle of bubbly

🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺

Good morning Joy❤️
Ok first of all I am making my rounds as you can see giving thanks to all!!

I hope your MRI does well today! Thinking of you!!

Your sister had a beautiful day in Poway! It was nice and warm here and SUNNY!!!

Oh Ann David and Shawn were the best!!

God bless them!! I had a lot done prior all my sides were done house cleaned table set! So my Turkey potatoes etc were the big deal! All I can say is wow. We had a good time AND the champagne bubbly was perfect!

Slept like a baby!

❤️Deeni😊

• Like 7

3 hours ago, richwmn said:

Black Friday has been going on for a while now, but must give way to Christmas. In my area at least two radio stations (that I know of) are playing Christmas music full time and have been for at least a week. I know of several people who have already put up Christmas decorations, and that used to start the first week in December.

Some homes have put up decorations here in Naperville.

• Like 2