Face masks at sea.

18 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Absolutely ridiculous, In America we can do what we want in the privacy of our homes.

No, you can't.  You can't fire a gun in your home; you can't own certain kinds of explosives, even if you don't set them off; you can't own certain kinds of animals; you can't cook meth; you can't download certain banned materials from the Internet; and on and on.  The law doesn't stop at your door. 

Now, if you want to tell me there would be First Amendment issues with criminalizing gatherings at private homes, you'd have a point, but even that wouldn't be a slam-dunk case against a statute criminalizing gatherings of certain sizes without precautions if the pandemic were serious enough.  If the consequences of Covid were like those of Ebola, and the virus were spreading all over the country, the government's interest in preventing the spread of that virus might be overwhelming enough to allow such a statute to stand up to scrutiny.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BeachyBrowns said:

No, you can't.  You can't fire a gun in your home; you can't own certain kinds of explosives, even if you don't set them off; you can't own certain kinds of animals; you can't cook meth; you can't download certain banned materials from the Internet; and on and on.  The law doesn't stop at your door. 

Now, if you want to tell me there would be First Amendment issues with criminalizing gatherings at private homes, you'd have a point, but even that wouldn't be a slam-dunk case against a statute criminalizing gatherings of certain sizes without precautions if the pandemic were serious enough.  If the consequences of Covid were like those of Ebola, and the virus were spreading all over the country, the government's interest in preventing the spread of that virus might be overwhelming enough to allow such a statute to stand up to scrutiny.

Actually you can fire a gun in your home if someone is breaking in, at least in Florida and Texas.  You can also shoot in your backyard depending on where your live and your lot size.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BeachyBrowns said:

This response is almost has silly as the original one I was referring to, but I will concede to your points; however in context I stand by my statement; In USA we can gather in our private homes to our hearts content (at least in TX) and yes shoot our guns to our heart's content.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

This response is almost has silly as the original one I was referring to, but I will concede to your points; however in context I stand by my statement; In USA we can gather in our private homes to our hearts content (at least in TX) and yes shoot our guns to our heart's content.

Okay forget being charged is there a chance had someone have caught covid and died from your maskless party that you could have been sued by the dead persons family?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Okay forget being charged is there a chance had someone have caught covid and died from your maskless party that you could have been sued by the dead persons family?

Anyone can sue anyone. That doesn’t mean they have a legal standing to prevail. I would think only if they could prove the person knew of infection and intentional exposure. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

Anyone can sue anyone. That doesn’t mean they have a legal standing to prevail. I would think only if they could prove the person knew of infection and intentional exposure. 

For a civil case I would also think that it could be argued that the dead person willingly went to the party knowing that anytime you are not with your immediate bubble you are at risk.  Another argument could be that on the way to the party or home the dead person stopped at a store, gas station etc. and was exposed there. 

• Like 1

On 12/14/2020 at 2:05 AM, not-enough-cruising said:

Absolutely ridiculous, In America we can do what we want in the privacy of our homes.

Even during a pandemic? Here depending on the tier you are in you are restricted to who you can even have in your home. Currently only about 10% of population can have up to six visitors in a home.  The rest of us it's zero. So we can't even have family or friends over for dinner 

Edited by sgmn
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Even during a pandemic? Here depending on the tier you are in you are restricted to who you can even have in your home. Currently only about 10% of population can have up to six visitors in a home.  The rest of us it's zero. So we can't even have family or friends over for dinner 

I assume you do not live in the USA; our constitution prohibits this type of restriction. 

20 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I assume you do not live in the USA; our constitution prohibits this type of restriction. 

Nope, in UK. Our PM is a libertarian and this goes against his normal principals, but he's following the science and this thing spreads easier indoors. Some say he's not going far enough and calling for the five day ease up over Xmas (3 households can bubble together) to be cancelled

Back on topic. Would not be happy cruising with face masks, but if I had the vaccine and a cruise booked, but masks were still mandated, I would probably go. I have nothing booked though looking at a celebrity cruise next Autumn from Southampton 

9 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Back on topic. Would not be happy cruising with face masks, but if I had the vaccine and a cruise booked, but masks were still mandated, I would probably go. I have nothing booked though looking at a celebrity cruise next Autumn from Southampton 

I agree, and we have cruises booked starting late next August.  Of course, if the CDC doesn't change it's "over 7 days" policy, we will have several cruises to move out to 2022.

31 minutes ago, sgmn said:

Nope, in UK. Our PM is a libertarian and this goes against his normal principals, but he's following the science and this thing spreads easier indoors. Some say he's not going far enough and calling for the five day ease up over Xmas (3 households can bubble together) to be cancelled

And some say he didn't follow the science quickly enough. He was against a lockdown when Italy went into it. He was an early advocate of so called herd immunity and quickly reversed that position when shown potential death figures of 560k.

Edited by ace2542

5 hours ago, sgmn said:

How would anyone know who is in your home?  Maybe if you had a loud backyard party but once inside who knows how many are in there? 

30 minutes ago, Keksie said:

How would anyone know who is in your home?  Maybe if you had a loud backyard party but once inside who knows how many are in there? 

Mainly honour system I guess, I follow the rules. The rules aren't there for fun, they are there for a reason. 

We can all use our common sense but obviously there are some who don't.

Even though our restrictions are pretty strict our rates are still bad. Going into winter with Christmas around the corner it's going to be a long hard few months 

Edited by sgmn

On 12/14/2020 at 1:29 PM, ace2542 said:

How are your death tolls so low compared to the UK?

I don´t really know. The numbers went up during the last two weeks- as did the new cases- despite our Lockdown light- as they called it. Since today we are again in a strict Lockdown- as in March- at least until Jan.10th.

16 hours ago, Keksie said:

Because your neighbours snitch on you as americans say. Or the police just drive by and hear noise maybe coming from a house or somewhere noise should not be coming from like a bar or a hair salon that is supposed to be closed. Or flashing lights in a house like a disco maybe. And you get the 10 grand fine in some cases.

22 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Because your neighbours snitch on you as americans say. Or the police just drive by and hear noise maybe coming from a house or somewhere noise should not be coming from like a bar or a hair salon that is supposed to be closed. Or flashing lights in a house like a disco maybe. And you get the 10 grand fine in some cases.

Do people even use disco lights anymore?   

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, sgmn said:

That's why my ancestors got on the boat and left years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

That's why my ancestors got on the boat and left years ago.

It's a short term thing, not forever...... 

In the summer when rates went right down the rules were relaxed. Now cases are increasing in our winter they've tightened again. Trying to save lives here. I'm sure there are areas of your country that are locked down because of high covid rates.

I would wear a mask on a cruise.

As to enforcement,  Walt Disney World has pretty strict in enforcing masks in their parks and Disney Springs.  In fact they strengthened the policy when people used the loophole of eating and drinking.  They added you have to be stopped to eat/drink.

If Disney can handle/enforce this, I am sure the cruise lines can also handle/enforce this.  Plus they have a extra stick.  They can do what the airlines do and put a person on a no fly list or in this case a sail list.

1 hour ago, gatour said:

They can do what the airlines do and put a person on a no fly list or in this case a sail list

But Disney security guards are armed aren't they and Florida has these stand your ground laws where you can kill someone and that is it  yeah? And these security guards are working in a state with the death penalty so no  family member of anyone they kill will take them out and they know it. A bit like cops. And there are cops there as well aren't there?. On QM2 there are 14 security personnel onboard. Ok QM2 is a different type of people maybe.

You can be banned if the cruiseline booked the flight plus have a person deported from the next port of call with ban from returning to that country possibly if thrown off ship with no exit ticket. Though you can get around them banned lists by changing your name for instance or so I have heard.

Edited by ace2542