The press have a lot to answer to

Bin man

Just popped up on my samsung pad headline Cruise ship 5 covid cases 400 passengers stranded . Of coarse I started to read the report and turns out to be a Stena line ferry liverpool to Belfast . Who ever writes these headlines should get their facts right . 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bin man said:

Just popped up on my samsung pad headline Cruise ship 5 covid cases 400 passengers stranded . Of coarse I started to read the report and turns out to be a Stena line ferry liverpool to Belfast . Who ever writes these headlines should get their facts right . 

I think I am not alone in saying that the press generally have been an absolute disgrace during the pandemic. Their sensationalist headlines and the way they have used the news to suit their agendas has not done the tabloids and favours. I have seen how they have twisted the truth to turn people again my own profession and I have also seen the damage that it has done. Shameful

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bin man said:

BBC got it right as a ferry and also said it was in Birkenhead, not Liverpool, which is another mistake on the part of whatever rag you appear to have been reading on your Ipad.  Stena do not sail from Liverpool and passengers were not exactly stranded - just that it did not leave the port, but they are apparently on another ferry now.

Edited by tring
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

I think I am not alone in saying that the press generally have been an absolute disgrace during the pandemic. Their sensationalist headlines and the way they have used the news to suit their agendas has not done the tabloids and favours. I have seen how they have twisted the truth to turn people again my own profession and I have also seen the damage that it has done. Shameful

I completely agree. There have been too many ‘experts’ giving opinions and individuals on SAGE (seemingly hundreds altogether) should not be providing their opinion in order that it becomes a lead story. 

As regards things being twisted against your profession (and my ex profession for 30 years), nothing has changed. It has always gone on and the media have a lot to answer for. The saying that everybody is an expert in education because they went to school when younger is still very prevalent as is the thought that schools are more useful as a child minding service than an educational one.

• Like 1

The papers have a lot to answer for, only one day ago the Daily Depress were 

running the headline "Christmas cancelled: Is Christmas cancelled?"

Are they asking or telling us ? :classic_unsure:

They have no need to worry as I checked my calendar and it is still there .

You cannot miss it ..It's sat between the 24th & 26th of December !

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

I don't take any news that is 'freely given' on line. I never look at news feeds from social media at all and turn them off my devices whenever possible. I choose where I get my news using those sources I believe to be more reliable and even then not taking everything as 'gospel'.

• Like 5

What especially irritates me is the meaning of what someone said can be changed just by missing or inserting a word or two when reporting the item, or fractions of statements taken out of context etc. It is not just the tabloids that do it, the quality papers are guilty too and also the broadcasters including the BBC. It makes me mad 😠

• Like 4

3 hours ago, KnowTheScore said:

Can only whole-heartedly agree.   The scaremongering and over-hyping of a virus for which 99%+ people survive and 80%+ are asymptomatic has been thoroughly wicked to the core and has left long lasting damage in the psyches of countless vulnerable people.

Sorry I know I shouldn't respond to this BS, but you have not taken into account the impact on the health services around the world of this pandemic. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

Sorry I know I shouldn't respond to this BS, but you have not taken into account the impact on the health services around the world of this pandemic. 

I blocked him but notice that he has been infesting the USA part of CC recently

On 12/16/2020 at 2:30 PM, Presto2 said:

And it's not just the UK.  The US press is just as bad if not worse.  They don't even try to hide their bias anymore.  There are few journalists left, just opinion writers.

It's a rare even when one can read an entire news report and not have the authors personal position made clear. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, batholiver said:

The problem with the press, and all media, is who controls it and what the agenda is.

Which is why the BBC, ITV and other UK broadcasters have to meet certain standards.  Not so FB etc and that's the problem. 

I agree about standards, especially BBC in terms of impartiality, but listening to and reading some of the ‘conventional media’ the standards must be so low that they have become irrelevant. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

I agree about standards, especially BBC in terms of impartiality, but listening to and reading some of the ‘conventional media’ the standards must be so low that they have become irrelevant. 

There on the edge,that's for sure,it's just a blessing that we have so much choice in who to view,unlike the 60's & 70's.

2 hours ago, batholiver said:

The problem with the press, and all media, is who controls it and what the agenda is.

Which is why the BBC, ITV and other UK broadcasters have to meet certain standards.  Not so FB etc and that's the problem. 

I dont think anyone considers that FB is anything like a TV media outlet. I know they loosely refer to these sites as social media, but surely no one believes everything they read on there.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I dont think anyone considers that FB is anything like a TV media outlet. I know they loosely refer to these sites as social media, but surely no one believes everything they read on there.

The info. i read on here i treat the same as what's on the t.v. or in the newspaper,you use your own judgement and logical thinking.To believe everything would be daft as there are a lot of conflicting views.One thing that there's a lot of on the box is negative info.,always looking at the pessimistic end,i'm the oposite and very optimistic.The futures looking good for the u.k. cruising industry and with brexit done i believe the bookings are going to start increasing quite a bit.Of course,this is just my opinion and like all opinions on here you can agree with all of it,part of it or none of it.Have a good xmas to you and your family.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Unfortunately quite a few people only get their news there,  and they believe it to be true. 

Reputable independent news sources such as the BBC are very rare.

14 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

I think they always have, it is very difficult to get impartial information from any form of media today.

My late parents told me that something they had learned from the War period was that we shouldn't trust everything we hear on the news / radio or read in the papers. There is always an agenda from someone and they let you read or hear what they want you to or try to steer your opinion to suit their own. I used to think they were paranoid and that was due to the times they lived through.

I have thought about it more and more the last 4/5 years though and I think it is clear that with some newspapers it is more obvious than others and some TV channels, sadly, it is becoming more and more obvious with their 'opinions' not just permeating their news, but also their TV programmes. 

• Like 2

SAdly in the last 6 years or more clickbait has become the norm as media sites now take a huge part of the revenue this way (both from positioning and actual clicking through).. Its more important financially  that your first on google than that you actually report a fact and if your headline has to manipulate the facts to make the headline move up to the top then its  all that matters..

It wasnt so bad when this was restricted to red tops, free press and certain serious dailies but Sky started this practice over 6 years ago and the BBC has slowly got more agressive in its manipulation of headlines (presumably as it starts to worry that it may have to look at advertising as a vital income rather than a licence fee)..