What's currently happening with the crew?

carefreebee

We've been cruising on Princess since 2006, most recently on the Sky Princess in March when sailing stopped. I don't know about the rest of you but during our cruises we tend to grow attached to some crew members we interact with around the ship and are often charmed by the Princess performers and the Cruise Director's staff too. 

We've had exceptional service from wait staff and bar servers that have been with Princess for many years and some maitre d's & head waiters have been with Princess for decades!  It is not unusual to see crew from past sailings over the years on different ships as they continue their contracts with Princess again and again. We know one crew member who we've watched grow, step by step, from a vested Bar Steward to wearing whites with strips and managing Lido! I have been thinking of him and others often these past few months and wish to know they are doing well. During our time visiting with some wait staff at the bars and MDR we came to know that many had planned long career paths in their future with Princess. I'm concerned their plans are in jeopardy.

Does anyone have a good understanding on what PCL has done to keep the "seasoned" crew positioned to return to the ships when cruising returns? Are some crew still under contract, while shore side waiting to be called back? Can we assume that most haven't found employment in other food, drink, or travel industries? How is PCL supporting them?

The entertainers are just as important too. Are the dancers & singers currently under contract? Is Princess actively seeking talent for the production shows and the ship's bands too? The performers can't just arrive on the ship and start the show. Normally, the Princess theater troupe work together for months in California before they arrive on the ship and then they don't take the stage immediately. Dancing and singing have not returned to the entertainment industry in general and still may be months away. Oh and we can't forget the light & sound tech dudes!? This is a mind boggling challenge. Any insight to how Princess and other cruise lines may be planning to do to get this important element of cruising started back up? 

I wish the best to all the Princess crew and staff who make our cruises wonderful. We keep coming back again and again because the Princess family always gives their best efforts into making passengers happy. We currently have two cruises booked for the end of this year and three for 2022. We are very excited to cruise again and obviously support Princess Cruise Line 100%.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, carefreebee said:

We've been cruising on Princess since 2006, most recently on the Sky Princess in March when sailing stopped. I don't know about the rest of you but during our cruises we tend to grow attached to some crew members we interact with around the ship and are often charmed by the Princess performers and the Cruise Director's staff too. 

We've had exceptional service from wait staff and bar servers that have been with Princess for many years and some maitre d's & head waiters have been with Princess for decades!  It is not unusual to see crew from past sailings over the years on different ships as they continue their contracts with Princess again and again. We know one crew member who we've watched grow, step by step, from a vested Bar Steward to wearing whites with strips and managing Lido! I have been thinking of him and others often these past few months and wish to know they are doing well. During our time visiting with some wait staff at the bars and MDR we came to know that many had planned long career paths in their future with Princess. I'm concerned their plans are in jeopardy.

Does anyone have a good understanding on what PCL has done to keep the "seasoned" crew positioned to return to the ships when cruising returns? Are some crew still under contract, while shore side waiting to be called back? Can we assume that most haven't found employment in other food, drink, or travel industries? How is PCL supporting them?

The entertainers are just as important too. Are the dancers & singers currently under contract? Is Princess actively seeking talent for the production shows and the ship's bands too? The performers can't just arrive on the ship and start the show. Normally, the Princess theater troupe work together for months in California before they arrive on the ship and then they don't take the stage immediately. Dancing and singing have not returned to the entertainment industry in general and still may be months away. Oh and we can't forget the light & sound tech dudes!? This is a mind boggling challenge. Any insight to how Princess and other cruise lines may be planning to do to get this important element of cruising started back up? 

I wish the best to all the Princess crew and staff who make our cruises wonderful. We keep coming back again and again because the Princess family always gives their best efforts into making passengers happy. We currently have two cruises booked for the end of this year and three for 2022. We are very excited to cruise again and obviously support Princess Cruise Line 100%.

Great questions!  I been looking at pictures from our cruise last February, and wondering about the crew.  Princess does have a wonderful crew and staff. Hope they are all safe and doing well.

You're very thoughtful and I often think of the crew I've met and built a rapport with during my cruises as well. I think it's safe to say quite a bit of the entertainment crew (including dancers and cruise staff) have left the industry entirely for something land-based and more secure. There are two notable individuals amongst cruise staff that I can quickly name off the top of my head that have already left Princess entirely since the pandemic began. I also don't think any of the dancers/singers are on contract right now because I'm sure Princess doesn't want to be responsible for a group of performers who won't be able to actually perform and the training/living expenses/stipends/etc. provided would be an unnecessary cost at this time. When the cruise & entertainment industries bounces back, I'm sure there will be a base from which to draw performers from for cruises, but a good chunk of those who we've grown familiar with will have likely moved on.

On our Sky Princess inaugural we got to chat to the very engaging Cruise Director Alexander Yepremian and discovered he lived in the next town along. He has spent his time launching a new upscale coffee bar and cafe which opened in mid-December. They do international coffees, baglewhiches, wafflewiches, paninis and it's decorated with a travel theme. It's about 10 minutes away and is only doing takeout because of the UK lockdown. We haven't visited because we are sheltering and are hoping they launch a delivery service soon!.  Not sure if that means he left Princess or if it's a filler!

Edited by dides
  • Like 2

Just now, dides said:

Not sure if that means he left Princess or if it's a filler!

He's exited the industry, unfortunately. He's one of the notable individuals I alluded to in my post. Most other CDs and EDs have kept to themselves on socials, but I wouldn't be surprised if many of them have also left.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, snoozecrooze said:

He's exited the industry, unfortunately. He's one of the notable individuals I alluded to in my post. Most other CDs and EDs have kept to themselves on socials, but I wouldn't be surprised if many of them have also left.

That's a shame - he was a fabulous CD!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dides said:

On our Sky Princess inaugural we got to chat to the very engaging Cruise Director Alexander Yepremian and discovered he lived in the next town along. He has spent his time launching a new upscale coffee bar and cafe which opened in mid-December. They do international coffees, baglewhiches, wafflewiches, paninis and it's decorated with a travel theme. It's about 10 minutes away and is only doing takeout because of the UK lockdown. We haven't visited because we are sheltering and are hoping they launch a delivery service soon!.  Not sure if that means he left Princess or if it's a filler!

I follow Alex on Instagram and have seen his post about his new cafe. I wish him and his young family well. He will be missed, one of the best!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dides said:

His cafe sounds so cool! I remember he was out CD on the Regal once.

25 minutes ago, dides said:

That's a shame - he was a fabulous CD!

Alex was the only person on board that could call me a cheapskate, and not only get away with it, but make me laugh about it.

Edited by CineGraphic
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Alex was the only person on board that could call me a cheapskate, and not only get away with it, but make me laugh about it.

He is fun. I have thought Alex would make a great Brand Ambassador for Princess. Similar to John Heald with Carnival.

3 hours ago, carefreebee said:

I know one of the entertainers & I’ve been told that they won’t know anything until the end of March. I’m been told that it takes 3 months for the staff to learn the new routines. 

Tom😀

17 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

I was told that the entire entertainment department was shut down early on, including their land-based offices where shows are developed & rehearsed.

I’m aware of another cruise that said that they were starting rehearsals this month. 

Tom😀

17 minutes ago, bstrauss3 said:

NCLhad brought crew back to the ships when they were planning to restart.

They're now (re-)(re-)patriating them 

All NCL Non-Essential Crew To Be Repatriated Home by April 2021 | Crew Center (crew-center.com)

And the captain’s announcement indicated the crew won’t arrive back home until March or April, which tells me they realllllly don’t expect to be sailing for a while!

On 1/22/2021 at 2:41 PM, carefreebee said:

FYI...There was one cruise line that we’re going to start rehearsals in January 2021 for 3 month. I’ve been in contact with one of the performers on Princess & they mentioned they won’t know anything until the end of March. The first thing that has to happen is the test cruises & the CDC is pointing the fingers at the cruise lines & the Cruise Lines say that they are waiting to hear from the CDC so it’s a cat & mouse game.  

Tom😀

10 hours ago, trbarton said:

FYI...There was one cruise line that we’re going to start rehearsals in January 2021 for 3 month. I’ve been in contact with one of the performers on Princess & they mentioned they won’t know anything until the end of March. The first thing that has to happen is the test cruises & the CDC is pointing the fingers at the cruise lines & the Cruise Lines say that they are waiting to hear from the CDC so it’s a cat & mouse game.  

Tom😀

And I suppose the CDC could wait forever with no bad consequences for themselves, while if the cruise lines wait forever, they will all go bankrupt.😢

• Like 1

I attended a Princess webinar a couple of weeks ago and they said that Carnival will be the first cruise line doing the CDC required simulation voyage.  Once Carnival successfully completed this voyage then Princess will conduct  their required CDC simulation voyage so it’s safe to assume at least one Princess crew will return by April/May to participate in this required sailing.

It was also noted that Princess will not seek volunteers like Royal Caribbean did for the CDC voyages instead they will send out emails to guests to see if they are interested in participating.

In addition the representative said both the CDC simulation voyage and initial voyages need to be 100% successful because if one person test positive for COVID19 it will set the entire cruise industry back for who knows how long.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Roger88 said:

The crews are on the leave right now I suppose. Unless it was already announced that the cruising is back on track so that they could be collected and be brought back on the ship again

The crew are not actually 'on leave' (as in paid holidays). They are between contracts so they are not receiving any income. Some will have found alternative employment and may stay with it after cruising starts up again. However, there will be plenty of people eager to take up the cruise ship jobs.

4 hours ago, Syracusefan44 said:

In addition the representative said both the CDC simulation voyage and initial voyages need to be 100% successful because if one person test positive for COVID19 it will set the entire cruise industry back for who knows how long.

That is a truly scary situation for the cruise industry to be in. If the startup in Europe is any indication, 100% is an almost impossible, if not totally impossible, goal to achieve.