Further nail into the cruising coffin.

upwarduk

2 minutes ago, Shadow9612 said:

Based on your explanation, IF Celebrity allows me to move the sailing past 5/4/22, then there's no need for me to even look at the cancel/rebook option, right ?

So it's a booked onboard CS or above suite so you had to pay full deposit for 1 passenger.  Got it.

If they allow you to move it without penalty then absolutely that's the easiest thing to do,  just remember it will still be NRD so make sure to select a NRD fare on the new cruise.

Otherwise if you want to email me for additional advice you can do that at wrk2cruise at gmail.com

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shadow9612 said:

So, in your example in the earlier post, if I cancelled my June 2021 booking, received $900FCC, made a new refundable booking for 2023 with a new deposit and apply that $900 FCC --- do I lose the $900 FCC if I cancel that 2023 cruise or move it again?

Yes,  if you move or cancel after the expiry of the FCC it will be void.

Can someone familiar with all the cancellation and future cruise credit rules advise us on what the best course of action is on our cruise. We have a 14 night Scandinavian cruise booked for July 3rd 2021 on the silhouette. Our final payment is due April 1st and we booked a refundable deposit of 900 dollars. Our total cruise fare is around 10k.

We really don’t want to go on this cruise at this point and prefer to change it to a similar Scandinavian cruise on the apex in 2022. I have read many people suggest that those with refundable deposits to just cancel and be done with it. However isn’t it better if celebrity cancels our cruise?

If celebrity were to cancel this cruise prior to our final payment date would they offer a future cruise credit of 125% and apply that to funds we haven’t paid yet as well? We have only paid 900 of the 10k so far but if we get 125% fcc if celebrity cancels, that’s an extra 2500 bucks which is a lot of money. This would help since the prices of the 12 night Scandinavian cruises for 2022 are much higher than 14 night this year . Our deal this year is much much better

So is it better for us to wait until final payment and hope celebrity cancels before then or is there not really any benefit ? If celebrity does cancel is there any hope of any future lift and shift type deals ?

Any insight, guidance and expertise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you 

Edited by XuGator

7 minutes ago, XuGator said:

Can someone familiar with all the cancellation and future cruise credit rules advise us on what the best course of action is on our cruise. We have a 14 night Scandinavian cruise booked for July 3rd 2021 on the silhouette. Our final payment is due April 1st and we booked a refundable deposit of 900 dollars. Our total cruise fare is around 10k.

We really don’t want to go on this cruise at this point and prefer to change it to a similar Scandinavian cruise on the apex in 2022. I have read many people suggest that those with refundable deposits to just cancel and be done with it. However isn’t it better if celebrity cancels our cruise?

If celebrity were to cancel this cruise prior to our final payment date would they offer a future cruise credit of 125% and apply that to funds we haven’t paid yet as well? We have only paid 900 of the 10k so far but if we get 125% fcc if celebrity cancels, that’s an extra 2500 bucks which is a lot of money. This would help since the prices of the 12 night Scandinavian cruises for 2022 are much higher than 14 night this year . Our deal this year is much much better

So is it better for us to wait until final payment and hope celebrity cancels before then or is there not really any benefit ? If celebrity does cancel is there any hope of any future lift and shift type deals ?

Any insight, guidance and expertise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you 

Well you have the refundable $900 deposit, so that is def good!  IMO it is highly unlikely a July 2021 cruise will sail.  If it were me, I'd not make the final payment and then have to deal with getting the refund, which you'd get but will take some effort and waiting time on your part.  Let's assume you do make final payment, you'd get a decent FCC no doubt.  But if you just stick with your current deposit of $900 I think the 125% FCC is based on that amount.  Always good to have a plan B!  I have an APEX, Aug 28, 2021 Med/Greek Isles, final payment is not due until late May.  Won't make the final decision on whether to pay the FP until much closer to the due date, my plan B is April 2022 TA on APEX.  Good luck whatever you decide!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, emmas gran said:

You only get the 125% FCC on the amount paid, so at the moment only on the deposit NOT on the total cruise price. Sorry if I have misunderstood you but that’s how I am reading your question.

Thank you,  that was definitely part of my question.  I guess I was thinking celebrity might offer some further concessions if they cancel the cruise (instead of me ) other than just giving me my money back.  I was hoping I would get some type of incentive on a future cruise.  So it doesn’t sound like there is any difference at all if I cancel the cruise or celebrity cancels - is that accurate ? All I have paid so far is the 900 dollar refundable deposit

I think the best thing to do is to wait until just prior to your final payment date.   If Celebrity cancels they may offer to let you move to the same sailing next year like they are doing with the current Alaska situation.   If they offer 125% FCC as @emmas gran says it's only on the balance paid.

Unless some government closure forces their hand they generally don't cancel prior to final payment.  In that case my advise would be to cancel and get your deposit back. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

I think the best thing to do is to wait until just prior to your final payment date.   If Celebrity cancels they may offer to let you move to the same sailing next year like they are doing with the current Alaska situation.   If they offer 125% FCC as @emmas gran says it's only on the balance paid.

Unless some government closure forces their hand they generally don't cancel prior to final payment.  In that case my advise would be to cancel and get your deposit back. 

Thank you everyone for their advise and expertise.  All Scandinavian cruises in 2021 are 14 night out of Southampton and all the Scandinavian  cruises in 2022 are only 12 nights out of Amsterdam. The ports are pretty much exactly the same. I guess it’s just a roll of the dice if celebrity does indeed cancel if they would also consider that the same sailing the following year.  The embarkation ports are different and cruise length differences but those are the closest they have in the future

Thanks again everyone

Edited by XuGator
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, XuGator said:

Thank you everyone for their advise and expertise.  All Scandinavian cruises in 2021 are 14 night out of Southampton and all the Scandinavian  cruises in 2022 are only 12 nights out of Amsterdam. The ports are pretty much exactly the same. I guess it’s just a roll of the dice if celebrity does indeed cancel if they would also consider that the same sailing the following year.  The embarkation ports are different and cruise length differences but those are the closest they have in the future

Thanks again everyone

I have a somewhat similar situation.  Waiting for my 12 night British Isles cruise on the Reflection (5-5-21) to be cancelled, and would like to take the 12 British Isles cruise on the Apex next year (5-14-22).  So my case is maybe a closer call, since it is 12 nights to 12 nights.  But it still involves an upgrade in class from Reflection to Apex, so I doubt they will offer a Lift & Shift option to me.  But I will probably know sooner than you will, and I will try to remember to come back and post here about what happens.  In our case we chose to make the final payment, betting on the chance that (1) Celebrity is likely to offer 125% FCC; and of course (2) Celebrity remains solvent.

Tom & Judy

I'm waiting for Celebrity to cancel my July 2021 British Isles. I have a NRD of $900 (booked in Dec 2019) and final is due May 1st. I'm not interested in a L/S, FCC 125% or making my final which includes business class air I booked with them...hoping to at least get my deposit back.

I doubt this cruise out of Amsterdam will sail and more than likely won't sail again with Celebrity if they wait and cancel after final payment.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tipsy tea party said:

Earlier this month Celebrity cancelled our October 2021 Asian cruise and they offered us our deposit back or transfer deposit to another booking and receive $200 OBC.  We decided to take the OBC and booked a cruise for December 2022. 

That is strange.  We had a Pacific Coast cruise out of Vancouver cancelled, for which we had so far only paid a deposit.  Our TA told us our options were a refund, or 125% OBC.  We were never offered the option of transferring with additional OBC.  I don't understand why different people are being offered different options.  Perhaps because we are from the US, and you are not?  

We are in the same situation on Silhouette for August 2021.  We have $1800 tied up in deposits (for a CS) and the cruise is 9 nights UK to Norway,  RT.  In 2022 the same cruises are fewer nights.  Nothing equivalent.  We are waiting until final payment (in May) to see if it gets cancelled.  Since there is no equivalent cruise, I think the L&S does not apply to this situation.  One thing to keep an eye on is whether Silhouette actually travels to the UK or Europe in the next couple of months or stays where it is now.

21 hours ago, XuGator said:

Thanks again everyone

I'm in the same situation and also regret that the cruises next year will be 12 day rather than 14 day (and at a slightly higher price even though the cruises are short While I was tempted re rebook on the APEX out of Amsterdam, I chose to book the Silhouette as we were looking forward to also visiting London. The other temptation to book the new ship,, the APEX, is that it docks right beside the Movenpick hotel in Amsterdam, whereas I will have to travel down to Southampton to board the Silhouette. I had an NRD deposit and the only advantage for me was I didn't have to pay the $100pp penalty charge for the switch. 

Best wishes on whatever direction you take.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, WorcesterPear said:

The latest announcement from Boris is that International Travel will not be permitted until at least 17 May, after a review to be undertaken by 12 April. How will this interface with the published Celebrity Silhouette sailings from Southampton from 5 May? 

Easy, they're not happening and will be cancelled. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, WorcesterPear said:

The latest announcement from Boris is that International Travel will not be permitted until at least 17 May, after a review to be undertaken by 12 April. How will this interface with the published Celebrity Silhouette sailings from Southampton from 5 May? 

I think there is little to no chance of any cruise from Southampton in May. All Celebrity cruising cancelled till end of April and they have to get the ships provisioned and crew vaccinated.before any sailing .

3 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

That is strange.  We had a Pacific Coast cruise out of Vancouver cancelled, for which we had so far only paid a deposit.  Our TA told us our options were a refund, or 125% OBC.  We were never offered the option of transferring with additional OBC.  I don't understand why different people are being offered different options.  Perhaps because we are from the US, and you are not?  

Yes seems Uk and USA are offered different options. A couple of years ago we booked a cruise while onboard Solstice and was told if the price dropped, or our TA prices was less we would get the lower price. Our TA had a much lower price so we asked for the adjustment but got a firm no from Celebrity. 

After a lot of calls & emails Celebrity stood their ground on price. We were still not happy so complained again and  eventually they gave us some onboard credit.

1 hour ago, Tipsy tea party said:

Yes seems Uk and USA are offered different options. A couple of years ago we booked a cruise while onboard Solstice and was told if the price dropped, or our TA prices was less we would get the lower price. Our TA had a much lower price so we asked for the adjustment but got a firm no from Celebrity. 

After a lot of calls & emails Celebrity stood their ground on price. We were still not happy so complained again and  eventually they gave us some onboard credit.

It’s not a procedure for any cruise company to reduce prices for us in UK, I have argued many times with reps here. We wrote to company  Chief Exec in UK on one occasion and had a reply that when we booked we had choice of staterooms etc so we paid for that privilege. It’s a bit of a bug bear unfortunately . We no longer use that company 

Just received email below from the VA.  I've called & made appointment for this Sat morning.  So if things go smoothly, we'll have 2nd shot by end of March.... 

email-icon-reading_original.png

VISN 16 – Houston VA Medical Center – Announcement

Dear Veteran,

Your VA is proud to offer the COVID vaccine to all enrolled Veterans ages 50 and over!

This week we will be opening a special Drive thru vaccine clinic on our main hospital campus, located at 2002 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77030. The Drive-Thru Clinic will be open Wednesday through Friday, February 24-26, from noon to 6 p.m. and Saturday, February 27, from 8 a.m. to noon.

Enter through our Almeda gate to get the COVID vaccine at the VA Regional Office on our campus without leaving the comfort of your car.  No appointment is necessary for these drive thru vaccine clinics.

Veterans will receive a two-dose series of vaccinations and will receive an appointment for their second vaccine dose when they check in to get the first dose. 

If you are 50 years and older and would prefer to make an appointment to get the COVID vaccine at our main medical center during the week, call us at 713-794-8985.  If you already have an appointment to get the vaccine, please keep your appointment.

Thank you for choosing the Houston VA as your healthcare provider. It is our honor and privilege to serve you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NavyCruiser said:

Just received email below from the VA.  I've called & made appointment for this Sat morning.  So if things go smoothly, we'll have 2nd shot by end of March.... 

email-icon-reading_original.png

VISN 16 – Houston VA Medical Center – Announcement

Dear Veteran,

Your VA is proud to offer the COVID vaccine to all enrolled Veterans ages 50 and over!

This week we will be opening a special Drive thru vaccine clinic on our main hospital campus, located at 2002 Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77030. The Drive-Thru Clinic will be open Wednesday through Friday, February 24-26, from noon to 6 p.m. and Saturday, February 27, from 8 a.m. to noon.

Enter through our Almeda gate to get the COVID vaccine at the VA Regional Office on our campus without leaving the comfort of your car.  No appointment is necessary for these drive thru vaccine clinics.

Veterans will receive a two-dose series of vaccinations and will receive an appointment for their second vaccine dose when they check in to get the first dose. 

If you are 50 years and older and would prefer to make an appointment to get the COVID vaccine at our main medical center during the week, call us at 713-794-8985.  If you already have an appointment to get the vaccine, please keep your appointment.

Thank you for choosing the Houston VA as your healthcare provider. It is our honor and privilege to serve you.

A deserved benefit of your service.  Thank you.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, marieps said:

A deserved benefit of your service.  Thank you.

Thank you very much.

But we've always been on the forefront of "Volunteers" for all new clinical trials of most vaccines & treatments from chemical/biological, anthrax, SARS, MERS, swine & bird flu, etc. over the past 30 years.  So last few yrs, not sure if we've been getting the control, placebo, or real flu vaccine shots.

They've asked me to come inside clinic, instead of doing drive thru, since they've rescheduled me twice for the early volunteer trial, so maybe this may be one-shot J&J trial.

Anyways, just trying to be Positive & looking at reopening of cruises, instead the not the nail in the coffin of cruisin'...

Edited by NavyCruiser
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2021 at 12:43 PM, wrk2cruise said:

Here is the FAQ regarding NRD and CwC.   What it doesn't mention is the restriction that the new sail date has to be within the CwC timeframe which is 5/4/2022.  I just went through this exercise with them a couple of weeks ago moving a NRD from 6/2021 to 10/2022.  I had to go through the cancel with FCC and rebook path.  You may try to push back saying there is no restriction on the new sail date in the FAQ.

Just a update for everyone's pleasure 😉

I had a June 6, 2021 sailing that was booked in Dec 2019 in a suite with NRD.  Was waiting for X to cancel, but final pmt is Monday so had to make a decision.

I was able to change the sail date to a 2023 booking (still NRD) but incurred the $100pp change fee which they just add to the cruise price of the new sailing.  Original deposit retained.  Original OBC for booking onboard retained.  No additional cash payment required now.  New sailing booked at current rates/promotions.

To me this was the best option because I have a bunch of 2022 sailings already and couldn't 'handle' another.   I didn't want to have a FCC that must be used by 04/30/22 for a sailing before 09/30/22 which was the other choice available.  

Thank you to everyone for your input and help in this thread...

• Like 2

I agree this is probably the best option to move a booking to late 2022 and beyond and I guess the $100 pp could be a lot worse!   I just don't understand that since the original cruise was covered by CwC that the admin fee isn't waived for the change.  Obviously for the new cruise in 2023 if you were to make another change you would expect the fee to be accessed as the new sailing is not covered by CwC.

The June sailing will be cancelled shortly anyway but of course it will be after final.

Glad it worked out to your satisfaction.

13 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

I agree this is probably the best option to move a booking to late 2022 and beyond and I guess the $100 pp could be a lot worse!   I just don't understand that since the original cruise was covered by CwC that the admin fee isn't waived for the change.  Obviously for the new cruise in 2023 if you were to make another change you would expect the fee to be accessed as the new sailing is not covered by CwC.

The June sailing will be cancelled shortly anyway but of course it will be after final.

Glad it worked out to your satisfaction.

Thank you again for your guidance and comments, which were very helpful.

Edited by Shadow9612