I've Had Enough !!!

baldilocks

2 hours ago, MotownVoice said:

It's simple.

If you don't want to wear a mask, and you understand the risks of carrying disease back to your family members ... don't wear a mask.

There are 3 different concepts of "Herd Immunity."

1)  The first is junk science.  It says that if no one wears a mask and we just ignore everything, eat drink and be merry eventually it will run its course.

Of course that means that 3 to 5 percent of everyone who contracts Covid will die.  But as long as it's not you, I guess you're ok with it, if you fall in this catagory.

2)  The second concept is sound science.  It states that in order to achieve true herd immunity, 70 to 85% of the entire population needs to be immunized before the virus is choked off from being able to replicate and mutate.  At that point it would be safe to return to unprotected actity and discontinue mask wearing.

3)  The final concept of "Herd Immunity" is cultural.  It says that if you do everything that science tells you to do, mask up, social distance, avoid large groups and wash hands without fail until the all clear is given, you are at the top of immunity pyramid and in all likelihood will survive this pandemic whatever becomes of the rest of the population.  The bottom of the pyramid, the conspiracy theorists, junk science obsessers, the careless and the very, very unlucky will contract the disease and 3 to 5% of them will die.  This will reduce the rate of ignorance in the population and strong, lucky, and most intelligent will survive ever even contracting the disease.

I'm not sure where you got the 3-5% of people dying figure (although I'm curious to know what source you used), but taking it at face value for the sake of argument, you're saying that the same percentage of people might die in scenarios #1 and #3, and yet #3 seems chock full of the kind of lock down-type measures that have actually contributed to other bad outcomes (divorce, suicide, depression, children falling behind in school, etc.). I mean, not to be crass, but if 3-5% die anyway (in this admittedly hypothetical scenario), wouldn't a reasonable person choose the one with fewer bad "side effects?" At the very least, scenario #1 leaves people pretty much free to live their lives, and isn't that kind of the point?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MotownVoice said:

It's simple.

If you don't want to wear a mask, and you understand the risks of carrying disease back to your family members ... don't wear a mask.

There are 3 different concepts of "Herd Immunity."

1)  The first is junk science.  It says that if no one wears a mask and we just ignore everything, eat drink and be merry eventually it will run its course.

Of course that means that 3 to 5 percent of everyone who contracts Covid will die.  But as long as it's not you, I guess you're ok with it, if you fall in this catagory.

2)  The second concept is sound science.  It states that in order to achieve true herd immunity, 70 to 85% of the entire population needs to be immunized before the virus is choked off from being able to replicate and mutate.  At that point it would be safe to return to unprotected actity and discontinue mask wearing.

3)  The final concept of "Herd Immunity" is cultural.  It says that if you do everything that science tells you to do, mask up, social distance, avoid large groups and wash hands without fail until the all clear is given, you are at the top of immunity pyramid and in all likelihood will survive this pandemic whatever becomes of the rest of the population.  The bottom of the pyramid, the conspiracy theorists, junk science obsessers, the careless and the very, very unlucky will contract the disease and 3 to 5% of them will die.  This will reduce the rate of ignorance in the population and strong, lucky, and most intelligent will survive ever even contracting the disease.

Masks should be worn for life. There is no reason to get sick from Covid, Flu or Colds.  And no reason to lose days off work without sick pay. After this it may no longer be acceptable to go into work when sick with Cold/Flu. So people will likely stay off and not get paid.

Edited by ace2542

3 hours ago, coffeebean said:

A friend of mine was told to wait 90 days after recovering from Covid to get the vaccine.

Wow, lot's of different protocols. My mid-80s in-laws were diagnosed with COVID on 22 January (one symptomatic with strong flu-like symptoms, the other asymptomatic - only tested due to symptomatic one testing positive). After 2 weeks of recovery (and the antibody "cocktail" for the symptomatic one) they got their first Pfizer shot on 15 February.  They did not have any issues/reaction...

2 hours ago, CSHS1979 said:

675,000 US died in 1918 Influenza outbreak

Medical advances have sky rocketed since 1918. In 1918, the average life expectancy was 36.6, and there was 103.2 million people. In 2020 the average life expectancy was 79.8 and the population was 330 million. Changes the comparison pretty radical. 

On 2/20/2021 at 11:43 PM, Missusdubbya said:

Good for you 😳

I believe in real scientific consensus - as do responsible governments, public health authorities and even cruise line executives.

Not to bash you but to make a point..."real science consensus" is a fairy tale that lives in people's minds - there is no such thing for this.  The best we can do is take all of the evidence and postulate on what it means, and find situations that are analogous.  Example:  SARS1and SARS 2 are all closely related.  People who had SARS1 in 2003 are still immune.  People who had SARS1 are immune to SARS2.  We don't know how long people are immune to SARS2.  I am going on a limb and say we're probably immune to recurrence to SARS 2 (with exceptions but people please don't point out the one guy in Hungary that got it twice).  Source:  Am scientist

The pols and media only want to hear from those who suit their agenda.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, mugtech said:

Just saw the Philippines is supposed to have 5.6 million doses by the end of March and another 30 million doses by July 31.  Population of the Philippines is over 100 million.  Would not appear that young healthy cruise ship crew would have access to any of those doses.   It may be up to the cruise lines to supply the vaccines for the entire crew.

Maybe those cruise lines selling older ships to the Chinese can ask to get paid in vaccine?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Right, so that filter just keeps rebreathing the same stuff it is trying to get rid off. I think my mother taught me to cover my mouth when I cough or sneeze so that I don"t spread things around. That lession came right after the one about washing my hands. I think I was around two years old at the time.

I have absolutely no memories of being two years old. Not saying I didn't learn anything, just don't recall.

1 hour ago, grandgeezer said:

Medical advances have sky rocketed since 1918. In 1918, the average life expectancy was 36.6, and there was 103.2 million people. In 2020 the average life expectancy was 79.8 and the population was 330 million. Changes the comparison pretty radical. 

Sure does. 

675,000 out of 100 million makes the 1918 influenza outbreak 3 times more severe. 😉

Plus, you need to throw out 1918 and look at 1919, after the war.  

20210222_185045.thumb.jpg.aa1a4ab995fe0e2b80b438855ef07ccf.jpg

Edited by CSHS1979

11 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

I think that’s from the new Administration. Same thing going on here in Florida. Doses are being sent from Feds directly to the inner cities in Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, and Orlando.  Our Governor was bypassed.

Didn't your Governor set up a site strictly for wealthy people in 2 exclusive zip codes in Manatee County?

11 hours ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Israel is doing GREAT with their vaccinations.  I read an article where they plan to vaccinate 100k of the Palestine people who cross into Israel for work. What a great gesture on their part.

I can see many similarities between the populations in both quoted posts. People that may not have adequate access to health care, live in crowded conditions where Covid would rip thru like wild fire and work on the front lines so no "work-from-home,shelter-in-place" for them.

I'm guessing since you think it's a great gesture in one instance, it would apply in the other. Just a guess on my part. I certainly wouldn't' want to be accused of telling people what their opinion is. LOL.

😇

PS I think this thread may be heading for a lock down.

46 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

And you are part of which of those disenfranchised communities?🤔 Way to right the ship.

Thanks!  I was actually hoping for this response.  I live in Queens, NYC, which is, perhaps, the most ethnically diverse urban area in the world.  Less than 40% of my fellow residents are White and 48% are foreign born.  My grandson attends a high school that is less than 20% White.

But we are trying to "right the ship" and doing something about it.  My daughter, also living in Queens, founded a Facebook page to help those, especially the neglected elderly, find vaccination appointments.  Many, as well as those in under served and minority communities, do not have internet access, let alone computers.

The Facebook page has grown from the original 3 members to 4,387 as I write this.  Hundreds, maybe thousands have gotten appointments because we care about others who haven't been blessed as we have.

Next question please...

BTW, If anyone lives in NYC and would like access to this amazing resource, please contact me and I will send you the info.

Edited by yogimax
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Thanks!  I was actually hoping for this response.  I live in Queens, NYC, which is, perhaps, the most ethnically diverse urban area in the world.  Less than 40% of my fellow residents are White and 48% are foreign born.  My grandson attends a high school that is less than 20% White.

But we are trying to "right the ship" and doing something about it.  My daughter, also living in Queens, founded a Facebook page to help those, especially the neglected elderly, find vaccination appointments.  Many, as well as those in under served and minority communities, do not have internet access, let alone computers.

The Facebook page has grown from the original 3 members to 4,387 as I write this.  Hundreds, maybe thousands have gotten appointments because we care about others who haven't been blessed as we have.

Next question please...

BTW, If anyone lives in NYC and would access to this amazing resource, please contact me and I will send you the info.

All well and good. But that vaccine reserved for you didn't go into someone else's arm, did it?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Next question please...

BTW, If anyone lives in NYC and would like access to this amazing resource, please contact me and I will send you the info.

That is awesome. Kudos to your daughter for taking actions and not just giving lip service.

And kudos to you for raising such a selfless,  caring young lady. 

👍 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mugtech said:

It may be up to the cruise lines to supply the vaccines for the entire crew.

Crew-center is talking about crew vaccines:

http://crew-center.com/latest-insights-about-covid-vaccination-crew

I thought this part was interesting about Indonesian crew:

"But not only are the cruise lines are interested to get vaccines for the crew. Seafarers organizations on a national level are lobbying governments for the cruise ship crew to be on the priority list for vaccination. Today IDN Times BALI reported that thousands of Indonesian seafarers requested to be vaccinated as soon as possible fearing that the cruise companies will divert labor needs to other countries. According to the Chairman of the Indonesian Seafarers' Union (KPI) Bali I Dewa Putu Susila, 6,000 crew members in Bali are waiting to board the cruise ships in April. Indonesian Seafarers' Union (KPI) sent a letter to addressed to the Coordinating Minister for Maritime Affairs requesting priority for vaccination for sailors working on cruise ships with foreign flags.

"If we cannot meet the needs of cruise ship company crews according to their requirements, then the quota will be transferred to another country. So that the number of Indonesian sailors will decrease throughout the world, "he explained.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

And you are part of which of those disenfranchised communities?🤔 Way to right the ship.

Idk if I should be worried when they say for the first time they can view our health and diseases by zip code. Shouldn't our health results be blocked by hippa? How can our city council claim to know which zip has the most diabetes, overweight, heart issues etc. This should be private info I've always thought.

My town has plenty of low income minorities. But wrong zip lol. 

Interesting the Hispanics here think the vaccine is to sterilize those who get it. I've actually heard that rumour. 

I do get concerned when I read they see our health records. Isnt that private? Where is hippa.

20210222_200938597.jpeg

20210222_201019529.jpeg

2 hours ago, CSHS1979 said:

Sure does. 

675,000 out of 100 million makes the 1918 influenza outbreak 3 times more severe. 😉

Plus, you need to throw out 1918 and look at 1919, after the war.  

20210222_185045.thumb.jpg.aa1a4ab995fe0e2b80b438855ef07ccf.jpg

Verifies my opening statement on how much medical has advanced since then. You used 1918 so I wanted it to be apples to apples. Even using 1919, life expectancies has improved 50%.

54 minutes ago, SeaHunt said:

Crew-center is talking about crew vaccines:

http://crew-center.com/latest-insights-about-covid-vaccination-crew

I thought this part was interesting about Indonesian crew:

"But not only are the cruise lines are interested to get vaccines for the crew. Seafarers organizations on a national level are lobbying governments for the cruise ship crew to be on the priority list for vaccination. Today IDN Times BALI reported that thousands of Indonesian seafarers requested to be vaccinated as soon as possible fearing that the cruise companies will divert labor needs to other countries. According to the Chairman of the Indonesian Seafarers' Union (KPI) Bali I Dewa Putu Susila, 6,000 crew members in Bali are waiting to board the cruise ships in April. Indonesian Seafarers' Union (KPI) sent a letter to addressed to the Coordinating Minister for Maritime Affairs requesting priority for vaccination for sailors working on cruise ships with foreign flags.

"If we cannot meet the needs of cruise ship company crews according to their requirements, then the quota will be transferred to another country. So that the number of Indonesian sailors will decrease throughout the world, "he explained.

Wow - enlightening to see a country that sees the big picture.  I'm sure it's not just Indonesia.  They clearly have pride in their worldwide representation and realize that these seafarers also bring home remittances that help their country economically.  What a concept.

• Like 2