Carnival just cancelled my 8 day cruise

Bgcruising

15 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

Was an explanation provided?

Not really. It came from expedia and says in part..

"With rapidly changing information about coronavirus (COVID-19), we know that you are anxious about your upcoming cruise. Our call centers have been working around the clock to keep up with customer requests, and we are truly sorry if you have experienced the frustration of long wait times.

The cruise line has informed us that your cruise has been cancelled. This will be reflected in your 'My Trips' section of our site and on the mobile app.

We have worked closely with our cruise line partners to simplify the process for you to select to receive a full refund or a future cruise credit. Please follow the simple steps below as soon as possible."

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, groundloop said:

Oh crap..... I'm a little surprised they're cancelling that far out. 

I'm booked for an 8 day in December so we're getting anxious about actually getting to go.  

I guess we will see, nothing would surprise me. Good luck to you!

7 minutes ago, cruises42 said:

That's interesting. We have a 17 day Freedom cruise in Sept. and it has not been cancelled (yet).

Maybe it's just the way expedia does it when the length of the cruise changes. They didnt do that though when it changed to Miami.

I'll give it a day or two then give them a call.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, groundloop said:

Oh crap..... I'm a little surprised they're cancelling that far out. 

I'm booked for an 8 day in December so we're getting anxious about actually getting to go.  

I got a 10 day in january.im playing it by ear but I honestly hope it's a no go.the ship sponsored excursions are a deal breaker.especially with 5 ports.

• Like 2

The CDC 7 night max stipulation is still intact until 10/31/21.  Unless they make a change, 8+ night cruises from the US can't happen until November. In order to keep money in house as long as possible, most lines will be putting off cancelling as long as possible.  There is still the slim chance that test cruises could happen in late June, short cruises start around Labor Day after the 60 day CDC requirement passes and 7 day cruises could be back in October.  Of course this is all wishful thinking and could be pushed back a month or two thus starting around Christmas.

• Like 3

I have an 8 day January 1 on Freedom and I am actually starting to worry when 8 or more day cruising will come back.  

I also wonder what cruises they will make out of the longer cruises.  Will an 8 day be cancelled and two 4 day cruises take their spot?

You can only go so many places out of Miami on a 4 or 5 day cruise.

28 minutes ago, tw67 said:

I have an 8 day January 1 on Freedom and I am actually starting to worry when 8 or more day cruising will come back.  

I also wonder what cruises they will make out of the longer cruises.  Will an 8 day be cancelled and two 4 day cruises take their spot?

You can only go so many places out of Miami on a 4 or 5 day cruise.

I have a 6-night in between two 8-nights in October.  I thought they might all become 7-nights.  If the 8-nights are cancelled, what becomes of the alternating 6-nights?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I have a 6-night in between two 8-nights in October.  I thought they might all become 7-nights.  If the 8-nights are cancelled, what becomes of the alternating 6-nights?

No-one knows - the lines might take the opportunity to do a deep cleanse overnight, or they might just convert, as suggested, the 8-day cruises to two 4-day cruises, and leave the 6-day cruises alone.

18 minutes ago, LatinaInTexas said:

Hmmmmm I have an 8 day for end of August. Rather it gets cancelled sooner than later I guess, then I can grieve and move on☹️

Generally they don't work that way. They want to hold on to your money till the last possible minute. I'd say 30 days out you'll get cancelled.

On 2/24/2021 at 7:32 PM, Bgcruising said:

Just got the email that my cruise in October 2021 on the Freedom for 8 days has been cancelled. 

I thought all cruises greater than 7 days before Nov 1 was already suppose to be cancelled.  I believe it is part of the CDC guidance.  Right now over 7 will be allowed after Nov 1

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mredandchis said:

I thought all cruises greater than 7 days before Nov 1 was already suppose to be cancelled.  I believe it is part of the CDC guidance.  Right now over 7 will be allowed after Nov 1

The cruises have not been cancelled specifically, since the CDC could rescind that limitation at any time.  Instead, as we get closer to actual cruising, we'll see how the lines decide to juggle it - maybe just cut them to 7 days, maybe the CDC will let them offer a free day stay onboard in the port for the 8th day for folks that have pre-arranged travel?  Or the refund for the cut day will cover rebooking fees or hotel costs for those that were supposed to fly home the day of return to port?

It is one giant :shrug: right now.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
typo

I moved my deposit on an 8 nighter in October to the last week in November.  I had a non-refundable deposit on the October cruise and Carnival transferred it to my new booking.  This is the last cruise I am re-booking.  I'm done with booking, re-booking, FCC's, OBC's, refunds, organizing timeframes with my family members, etc.  I'm hoisting the white flag, I surrender.

In addition to the November cruise, I re-booked a cancelled cruise to April 2022.  While I am in  coronavirus purgatory, I am planning a trip to the beautiful Florida Keys where I can do everything that I love to do on islands in the Caribbean.  I can swim, snorkel, work on my tan, rent a boat, go fishing, eat some great seafood, go bar hopping on Duval Street in Key West.  

I am so thankful every day that I live in Florida.  The beaches are open, restaurants have been open, sidewalk cafes are open, bars, stores. theme parks, hotels, schools, etc.  The temperatures have been in the 80's and the spring breakers are starting to arrive.

Best of luck everyone with cancellations and re-booking.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tattoos said:

While I am in  coronavirus purgatory, I am planning a trip to the beautiful Florida Keys where I can do everything that I love to do on islands in the Caribbean.  I can swim, snorkel, work on my tan, rent a boat, go fishing, eat some great seafood, go bar hopping on Duval Street in Key West. 

You'll need to wear a mask practically everywhere:

"A Monroe County (Florida Keys) ordinance requires everyone to carry a facial covering capable of immediate use and requires that masks be worn when inside of a business and also outdoors when a social distance of six feet from another person is not possible. In the city of Key West, the wearing of facial coverings is mandatory indoors and outdoors  (anywhere outside a residence or hotel/lodging room) regardless of social distancing. "

https://fla-keys.com/news/article/10775/

Updated 23 Feb 2021.

14 hours ago, Bgcruising said:

I guess it is done for.

The entire situation is fluid. Nothing is going to happen until it officially happens. Based on how cruise lines have operated, cancelation usually happens after the final payment date. There is no need for Carnival or any line to cancel cruises, even if greater than 7-nights. The CDC, vaccination rollout, the wind changing directions could all impact what will happen. If Carnival is given the green light for this cruise, you can be sure it will sail. 

Our Feb cruise on the Freedom  was also canceled months ago, so far we have not received our refund or even any thing from Carnival other than remove the points off my Carnival Credit card. My wife is Diamond & I'm Platinum and almost Diamond. This does not  make carnival look good for any future cruises, especially since we have been sailing with them since 1997. Good chance there won't be any more .

Anyone else have better results getting their refund??

Thanks