Should the Covid vaccine be required?

Should the Covid vaccine be required?  

356 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the requirement to be vaccinated which will be valid already on the first Odyssey, Adventure and Celebrity Millennium cruises in May and June?

• Cruise lines should require everyone to be vaccinated
    • Cruise lines should accept a PCR test instead of the vaccine from people who can't get it
    • For this moment, only negative Covid tests should be required from all passengers

4 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Like the failure the Singapore cruises have seen after not requiring vaccinations for anyone?

The controlled Singapore population and the U.S. population are nothing alike. What works there is hardly likely to work in the U.S..... and you know it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

The controlled Singapore population and the U.S. population are nothing alike. What works there is hardly likely to work in the U.S..... and you know it.

I also know the USA is much higher immune population than Singapore, so it evens out in that regard

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I also know the USA is much higher immune population than Singapore, so it evens out in that regard

It matters little what the immune population percentage is in the U.S. We have far more infected people than Singapore. If a ship sails out of the U.S. with a 50% vaccinated population it is going to end up being a sick ship. A 100% vaccination requirement is going to provide the best chance at a U.S. cruising re-start without everything getting shut back down. And with the CDC's attitude toward cruising I would surmise that they would just be itching to find a reason to pull the plug again.

And that does not even address the Ports of Call that will be looking for ways to open up to cruising in a way that is safe for them. Where are those cruises from Singapore making port calls?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

It matters little what the immune population percentage is in the U.S. We have far more infected people than Singapore. If a ship sails out of the U.S. with a 50% vaccinated population it is going to end up being a sick ship. A 100% vaccination requirement is going to provide the best chance at a U.S. cruising re-start without everything getting shut back down. And with the CDC's attitude toward cruising I would surmise that they would just be itching to find a reason to pull the plug again.

And that does not even address the Ports of Call that will be looking for ways to open up to cruising in a way that is safe for them. Where are those cruises from Singapore making port calls?

With well over 100 million American adults (as of Mar. 12th) that will have ben vaccinated and the proper time has passed,  that amount is more than enough to fill all the itineraries usually scheduled starting in October or November.  

This is of course taking into account the capacity limits that most probably will still have to be followed. 

If ships can sail with 50-60 % capacity,  more than 100 million adults would be eager to get aboard a ship A.S.A.P. and would be more than enough to get started.

• Like 2

I can remember back when people were predicting disaster on the MSC Grandiosa, same with the Singapore cruises. Didn't happen. Won't happen in the US, either, in my opinion. Cruise lines have learned a great deal thanks to these cruises, and with more and more Americans getting vaccinated, the chances of a major outbreak are greatly diminished. Of course, there are some who will always assume, maybe even wish for, the worst. Reminds me of old cartoons of people on horses who see a car drive by and then say "won't last." LOL

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

With well over 100 million American adults (as of Mar. 12th) that will have ben vaccinated and the proper time has passed,  that amount is more than enough to fill all the itineraries usually scheduled starting in October or November.  

This is of course taking into account the capacity limits that most probably will still have to be followed. 

If ships can sail with 50-60 % capacity,  more than 100 million adults would be eager to get aboard a ship A.S.A.P. and would be more than enough to get started.

And now with Pfizer announcing that their vaccine is safe and 100% effective in the 12-16 group and will be applying for emergency authorization, the cruise lines will soon be able to start requiring vaccinations of the teens, the kids that are more apt to spread the disease than the elementary school children.

We have weekly outbreaks in our high schools and middle schools, but it is very rare in the elementary schools. So, having the opportunity to vaccinate the teens/tweens will be a beneficial boost to safe cruising.  Even if it is based more on public supposition and image than actual science

Edited by cured
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, boscobeans said:

Exactly. With so many Americans becoming vacinated, the cruise lines will have no problem filling ships with vaccinated people. So why would they risk a re-start with unvaccinated people?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, islandwannabee said:

One of the sports arenas here in Florida, just announced they are going to have 2 sections, one for vaccinated people and the unvaccinated. Moving forward, is that how it's going to be in the future vaccinated up front, the unvaccinated in the rear?

I immediately thought of the no smoking section in restaurants years ago. 🙂

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Exactly. With so many Americans becoming vacinated, the cruise lines will have no problem filling ships with vaccinated people. So why would they risk a re-start with unvaccinated people?

Right, and the way I see it, the # of vaccinated cruisers can be way less than even the number of vaccinated citizens. Do the math: if there are roughly 330,000,000 American citizens, and we had, say, 10 mega cruise ships with a total capacity of 50,000 (10 x 5,000), and they were only sailing at 50% capacity to start with, that's only 25,000 people total, which is 0.00757% of the US population that would need to be fully vaccinated.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, islandwannabee said:

One of the sports arenas here in Florida, just announced they are going to have 2 sections, one for vaccinated people and the unvaccinated. Moving forward, is that how it's going to be in the future vaccinated up front, the unvaccinated in the rear?

Your governor is allowing this?????

I expect that once the CDC is satisfied that fully vaccinated people do not transmit covid it will modify or withdraw the CSO. I suspect the CDC wants verifiable data before risking exposure of the US to another outbreak. Conclusions drawn from media reports and industry marketing are not likely going to be acceptable.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, broberts said:

I expect that once the CDC is satisfied that fully vaccinated people do not transmit covid it will modify or withdraw the CSO. I suspect the CDC wants verifiable data before risking exposure of the US to another outbreak. Conclusions drawn from media reports and industry marketing are not likely going to be acceptable.

Are you talking about the same CDC whose director is digging her own doomsday shelter currently? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Are you talking about the same CDC whose director is digging her own doomsday shelter currently? 

What a pointless inaccurate statement. I do wish people would stop with the personal attacks just because they don't like what is being said.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

Right, and the way I see it, the # of vaccinated cruisers can be way less than even the number of vaccinated citizens. Do the math: if there are roughly 330,000,000 American citizens, and we had, say, 10 mega cruise ships with a total capacity of 50,000 (10 x 5,000), and they were only sailing at 50% capacity to start with, that's only 25,000 people total, which is 0.00757% of the US population that would need to be fully vaccinated.

As of March 12th there were 100,000,000 ADULTS with at least one injection.

If we take JUST THOSE and add two months for them to have the second dose and gained immunity that makes 100 million or one third of our total population.

According to C.D.C. estimates of a million injections a day with 30 million each month, by June 12th (USING C.D.C. FIGURES) we will have 190,000,000. ADULTS vaccinated who will be considered immune by August 12th.

That's more than 50% of our population, enough to possibly fill the limited 50-60% capacity ships may be limited to as we get back to normal.

How the 75 million children in the USA figure in is another story..

17 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I hear plenty of people tell me I'm crazy to ever get back in a cruise ship.

If the cruise lines do mandate all crew and passengers to be vaccinated, it would be safer on a cruise ship with no universal masking than it would be in the general public indoor venues with masking in place. I'm ready!

My opinion, of course.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, broberts said:

What a pointless inaccurate statement. I do wish people would stop with the personal attacks just because they don't like what is being said.

Not pointless at all 

Not inaccurate at all

To expect an agency that is currently announcing to the public that they are preparing for “impending doom” to make an informed, scientifically based decision to allow the cruise industry to move forward; is folly. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

4/20 will always hold a different meaning for me since I was chopping wood that day and put an axe blade into my ankle. I got lucky, no major damage, but I probably could have used cannabis that day.

Though coincidentally I get my 2nd vaccine on 4/18

OOOH....I just got "willies" in my stomach when I read that. Glad you are OK.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

If the cruise lines do mandate all crew and passengers to be vaccinated, it would be safer on a cruise ship with no universal masking than it would be in the general public indoor venues with masking in place. I'm ready!

My opinion, of course.

Your opinion appears to be spot on 

• Like 1