Should the Covid vaccine be required?

Should the Covid vaccine be required?  

356 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the requirement to be vaccinated which will be valid already on the first Odyssey, Adventure and Celebrity Millennium cruises in May and June?

• Cruise lines should require everyone to be vaccinated
    • Cruise lines should accept a PCR test instead of the vaccine from people who can't get it
    • For this moment, only negative Covid tests should be required from all passengers

3 hours ago, cured said:

I don't have a fear of catching Covid being vaccinated. I am more concerned about what happens to a vacation if there is an outbreak amongst unvaccinated passengers. Does the cruise get cut short to bring the sick passengers back to port? Do we miss a port or two because the islands don't want people from a ship that has some cases aboard to mingle with their residents?  

I would rather have a vaccinated ship (including the teens/tweens) to minimize any fallout from an outbreak amongst unvaccinated cruisers. 

Already stated from RCL that the passengers will be placed in a cabin near the doctor's office and disembarked at the next port with all expenses paid by RCL and full refund of cruise. 

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

Also the most tests per million and only one country in that top 20 is even close. Test less, find less cases, have less deaths. Simple math.

I'm still wondering what measure you are using to determine that the response in the US is "one of the best in the world, especially among large countries".

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cured said:

As is Royal Caribbean. They are making a choice that they feel safe with. As of right now, Royal Caribbean's choice is that adults that are not vaccinated cannot sail. 

Hopefully this will extend to teens and tweens once Pfizer gets authorization for their vaccine and it and the others become more available for teens. Pfizer is anticipating having their vaccine ready for teens by late summer.

Not sure how it works both ways. Per the rules right now, those not vaccinated are the ones who cannot sail.  Maybe it will change. But the bean counters have obviously done their homework and have determined that a vaccinated ship is better for business for their brand, thus putting the over 18 vaccination rule in place.

Who knows, maybe Carnival will soon be available to unvaccinated passengers.  

Actually this is a partially false rumor (fake news) going around social media. I believe they have four ships that do not require vaccination at the moment- it depends on where they sail from so it is not entirely RCL making this decision. So they feel safe either way apparently. 👈

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Also the most tests per million and only one country in that top 20 is even close. Test less, find less cases, have less deaths. Simple math.

Not saying I know the answer, but it's conceivable that causation went the other way.  More sick people show up at emergency rooms, so more people tested and also more deaths.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sugcarol said:

My situation is different. My cruise is an american flagged ship sailing only in Hawaii. They would be able to off load any sick patients in Honolulu and continue on with cruise. Just today in the news there, they are considering letting fully vaccinated to show their vaccination card, while they work on a digital vaccine passport. We will know more soon. 

And when tracing discovers that you were in contact with those sick people that get off loaded in Honolulu and you get confined to your cabin, what is your plan?

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, RoyalC said:

Already stated from RCL that the passengers will be placed in a cabin near the doctor's office and disembarked at the next port with all expenses paid by RCL and full refund of cruise. 

And what if the next port refuses covid positive cases?  What happens then? You really think the Bahamas and other islands are just going to allow Royal Caribbean to offload Covid positive passengers to become their problem?

Edited by cured
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, RoyalC said:

Actually this is a partially false rumor (fake news) going around social media. I believe they have four ships that do not require vaccination at the moment- it depends on where they sail from so it is not entirely RCL making this decision. So they feel safe either way apparently. 👈

The only Royal Caribbean ship sailing without proof of vaccination is Quantum out of Singapore. Totally different culture than the Western world.

Israel, Bahamas, Bermuda, Cypress, England will all require vaccinations.

If you are talking about joint ventures, you are right, the 3 TUI ships are not requiring vaccinations. But that is not the cruise line that is being discussed.

If you want to go there, Celebrity, also under the RCI umbrella is also requiring proof of vaccination.

And it is not false rumor from social media. It is right on Royal Caribbean's web site in their FAQ's. Not sure how much more "fact" this can be.

Q Do I need a COVID-19 vaccine to cruise? What documents count as proof of vaccination? How far in advance do I need to get my vaccine?

At this time, we are requiring guests 18 years and older to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, along with all crew members onboard. Each guest must submit proof of vaccination no later than boarding day, in the form of the original vaccination record  document issued by either (1) the country’s health authority that administered the vaccination (e.g., U.S. CDC's Vaccination Record Card) or (2) the guest's medical provider that administered the vaccination. Electronic vaccination records will only be accepted for residents of those countries where electronic documentation is the standard issued form (e.g., a unique QR code). The vaccination record submitted to Royal Caribbean must show that the guest is fully vaccinated. This means that the guest has completed the full cycle of required doses for the vaccine administered (e.g., received the second dose in a two-dose series), and that the guest has received the final dose at least 14 days before sailing.

All guests must present proof of vaccination as well as all required travel documents upon arrival at the ship terminal.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/do-i-need-a-covid-vaccine-to-cruise-what-counts-as-proof

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

And when tracing discovers that you were in contact with those sick people that get off loaded in Honolulu and you get confined to your cabin, what is your plan?

Why would you care? Do you plan on going on the same cruise? I would not mind spending quarrantine in Hawaii. Who knows they will likely make their quarrantine based on whether I am vaccinated. Nobody knows how anything is going to be 8 months from now.

3 minutes ago, sugcarol said:

Why would you care? Do you plan on going on the same cruise? I would not mind spending quarrantine in Hawaii. Who knows they will likely make their quarrantine based on whether I am vaccinated. Nobody knows how anything is going to be 8 months from now.

I don't care.

1 hour ago, sugcarol said:

Nobody should throw caution to the wind, but as a retired nurse and close friend of my doctor a provider of the vaccine in North Texas, he says treatment would be the same, variant or not, and vaccine as well. The booster for Covid may  factor in the variants just like the flu virus vax changes each year. I will roll with the flow and not worry about something unless and until it  became a serious issue.

Well, I don't want to be treated for anything- I assumed when I received the vaccine that although nothing is 100%, I would be able to return to life before covid and not worry about getting seriously ill.   Now we are hearing that we still have to wear masks and practice social distancing because #1 - not everyone has been vaccinated  and #2 - there are variants out there  that  we may or may not be protected from.

I'm totally OK with #1 but since nobody knows about # 2 - I would prefer to not be around a large group of unvaccinated people on a cruise ship.

I fully expect that there will  be a booster for the variants, but from everything I've read the earliest they might be available will be fall.

Rolling with the flow?  I can read graphs and stats.  Numbers are slowing increasing in the US - some states are showing double digit increases and most of Europe, with the exception of the UK is a total mess.

If I survived the past year, I know how to be careful right now after being vaccinated, but I will never think it's a good idea to have unvaccinated people onboard when cruises start back up - unless something drastically changes over the summer.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, cei3 said:

Maybe I missed this in all the many pages here . . .  if I have taken the two vaccinations, do I still need a Coven test within 5 days of sailing to get into Nassau?

At the present time, yes. See https://www.bahamas.com/tourism-reopening. See the FAQ section, (a fair ways down), for the specific answer.

6 hours ago, davekathy said:

We don't have any issues with that. But if it is the requirement needs to be for everyone no matter their age. 

At the moment only for 18 years and above. Under 18 need a negative test 

5 hours ago, sgmn said:

At the moment only for 18 years and above. Under 18 need a negative test 

I realize that, currently. My response was to @broadwaybaby123 concerning the possibility the vaccine would be a requirement for the "foreseeable future". In that case I believe all ages need to be vaccinated going forward in order to cruise.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, RoyalC said:

You give a family who can not be vaccinated hope. 🙂

But... we have come to terms with the fact that travel may be over for us for a long time.  

On 3/31/2021 at 4:42 PM, skywonder said:

It is NOT about them not caring about others it is about them making a choice they feel safe with. If you are so worried about Covid then maybe you should not sail or do anything else for that matter. See it works both ways.

Is that AFTER they fill their heads with those garbage conspiracy theories?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, coffeebean said:

Is that AFTER they fill their heads with those garbage conspiracy theories?

If you believe they are conspiracy theories so be it. That is your right to believe what ever you want.

Edited by skywonder
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, kelly13 said:

I think that the Covid vaccine shouldn't be required because there are many people who have allergies to it and they die or it can cause different side effects.

I think this is all new, it will sadly take years for the virus to be suppressed enough for those who cant have a vaccine to feel safe. I do feel for those who cant have the vaccine and for those who are worried about having it.

Most vaccines are a mild/safe copy of the virus so if they cant have the vaccine for medical reasons then if they sadly catch the virus they would struggle. So why would they put them selves at risk on a cruise full of unvaccinated healthy people who pose such a big risk?

I think Vaccines should be compulsory for all holidays, except for those people who have a genuine medical/religious reason not to have it. However it must be then decided on risk to themselves or the holiday company. 

In time as more of the world are vaccinated then the chances of catching the virus will reduce and as such the restrictions can be further reduced. 

Would be interesting to see how the insurance companies charge for those with the vaccine and those without, and who would be responsible if an un-vaccinated person caught the virus and became seriously ill. 

• Like 2

On 3/24/2021 at 8:21 AM, Roger88 said:

Well, yesterday I read in the news thay some places are making Vacination a mandatory procedure of all the travelers coming and leaving. I mean, yeah, it might sound good but we dont have a record of how humans react on it in a long run. As a short term solution it might sound ok, but I dont want to get autism later in my life 

You won’t.  Don’t worry.