100,000 passengers and only 10 cases...without vaccines

Here's Richard Fain's latest video message (yes he still needs a haircut).

So far, as Royal Caribbean Group has opened limited sailings globally, 100,000 passengers have sailed and only 10 positive coronavirus cases have been reported. And those 10 cases were all handled smoothly, without undue burden to other guests, crew or the communities we visit. What’s more, on sailings we’ve operated thus far, the average guest satisfaction rate is 7 points higher than pre-pandemic, proving that guests love the new experience and feel even safer onboard.

https://creative.rccl.com/e-lite/CEL/RDF_Meesage_Mar_21/RDF_Message_Mar_21_Video.html

• Like 19
  • Thanks 5

13 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Here's Richard Fain's latest video message (yes he still needs a haircut).

So far, as Royal Caribbean Group has opened limited sailings globally, 100,000 passengers have sailed and only 10 positive coronavirus cases have been reported. And those 10 cases were all handled smoothly, without undue burden to other guests, crew or the communities we visit. What’s more, on sailings we’ve operated thus far, the average guest satisfaction rate is 7 points higher than pre-pandemic, proving that guests love the new experience and feel even safer onboard.

https://creative.rccl.com/e-lite/CEL/RDF_Meesage_Mar_21/RDF_Message_Mar_21_Video.html

Aren’t they severely limit where the cruisers can come from, age, and ports limited, plus any other restrictions I don’t know about? What happens when they open everything up with no restrictions?

2 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Aren’t they severely limit where the cruisers can come from, age, and ports limited, plus any other restrictions I don’t know about? What happens when they open everything up with no restrictions?

Do you really think they are going to open up cruising with no restrictions?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

All in all, that's the most info he's ever given in one of those videos.  He does hint that the CSO will be scrapped and rewritten though. Also hints it still will be quite a while before USA cruises start unless the CDC acts now.

But then ends it saying he hopes they can be sailing by July 4.

Edited by smokeybandit

13 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

All in all, that's the most info he's ever given in one of those videos.  He does hint that the CSO will be scrapped and rewritten though. Also hints it still will be quite a while before USA cruises start unless the CDC acts now.

But then ends it saying he hopes they can be sailing by July 4.

Yes he does reference the 4th of July, and that mimics the request in the letter from the Miami-Dade Mayor to the CDC asking to meet to discuss the resumption of cruising. 

• Like 1

I suppose this data is from Singapore since that is the only place Royal is sailing at this time.  

I wouldn't read too much into this data.  Singapore only has 60k Covid cases which is about 1 percent of population (and most of these cases are found in migrant workers who stay in crowded dormitories and doesn't interact with the general public).  USA on the other hand has almost 30 million cases or almost 9 percent of the population,  When there are few infections in the general population, it is only natural that you have few cases on the ship.

I am more curious about the upcoming Odyssey of the Seas cruise out of Israel, since Israel has about 827k Covid cases out of a population of 9 million, and the ratio of infection is pretty comparable to that of USA.  

Edited by PCHENG
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Stick to the other threads please.

Are cases being properly tracked onboard would be a question? Have all 100k passenger been subjected to regular testing? 10 cases among 100k unvaccinated I find hard to believe. FWIW I have not listened to the recording.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Meanwhile, the CDC is saying "10 cases!  That's way too many, proof we need to keep cruises shut down"

Fain's answer about "when will they start cruising again" was a bunch of BS though.

I doubt 10 cases in 100k people is the true figure to be honest. The true figure must have been much higher. Here in UK on the Isle of Man (An island located in the Irish Sea located between Rep of Ireland and Mainland UK). They had reached a place of no mask wearing or social distancing then schools reopened in late feb/early march and they had a surge of cases. There are less than 100k people on Isle of Man and vaccine operations have been ongoing.

I'm sure that's 10 cases as a result of testing positive on board. 

Remember this is Singapore, a country in a region that really hasn't been that prone to getting covid. THen again only about 10% of its citizens have gotten at least 1 dose of the vaccine (compared to 25% of America)

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Remember this is Singapore, a country in a region that really hasn't been that prone to getting covid. THen again only about 10% of its citizens have gotten at least 1 dose of the vaccine (compared to 25% of America)

I wouldn't compare Singapore with the US. Singapore with it's population of nearly 6 Million is almost like a bubble with all the International travel restrictions. Then the population is much more vigilant when it comes to the health protocols such as the wearing of masks etc together with relative low numbers of COVID infections throughout the pandemic.

• Thanks 1

We already know cruises were incredibly safe compared to land before the pandemic.  As Lisa Lutoff-Perlo stated some of the changes such as enhanced cleaning and expanded medical will be long term.  

I am convinced more than ever that cruising will be safe compared to similar activities on land where few of these enhancements have been or will be made.  

• Like 7

The figure of 100'000 would also take into consideration the cruises of Mein Schiff. All of these cruises have been held under strict safety protocols including the use of masks etc. Now we are going into step two, given that a large number of people will be vaccinated throughout the next months it will be possible to start with cruises where every adult needs to be vaccinated and step by step certain restrictions will be lifted together with bring back more and more ships.

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

Meanwhile, the CDC is saying "10 cases!  That's way too many, proof we need to keep cruises shut down"

The CDC doesn't want cruises to open up...it seems to me that 10 cases out of 100,000 people is pretty darn good..considering that there are more cases of other sicknesses, such as norovirus, on previous cruises...didn't cause the CDC to close cruises down..

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

25% of America has receive at least one dose of the vaccine?   I don't think so.  In certain groups yes, but not all America

Now that Richard has been vaccinated it's safe to get that haircut.  At least he wore a nicer shirt.

10 / 100,000 is a reflection of how well Singapore has handled the pandemic.  Meanwhile ships in layup in Caribbean with crews of 100 +/- keep experiencing cases.   

• Haha 1