CDC will Destroy Cruising in the US

Just read an article regarding the US Senate hearing with the CDC, regarding its blind opposition to cruising in the US. It is disgusting that the CDC will not reconsider their October 2020 decision shut down, which was ordered before the vaccine was approved.
They refuse to accept that the covid vaccine is a game changer.

They refuse to hear the Senators, claiming that the decisions are coming from DOT.

They refuse to reconsider, which is based on antiquated information. 

They refuse to understand that they are punishing the American cruisers, as well as the cruise lines. 
What can we, the public do to change this course of inaction by the CDC. 
My husband and I love to cruise. We are in our 80’s. It’s so easy for us to be able to sail out of Miami. No flying necessary.

But, I guess if we have to, we will fly to board a ship outside of the US. 

CDC... wakeup and start serving the public you are supposed to be protecting!

sheila

• Like 9

So many cruises out of Florida and the job losses must be astronomical for those workers and TA's.

DeSantis vs CDC and cohorts? FL just announced today that starting Monday anyone over 40 can sign up for vaccine and following week 16 and above can get it. My youngest daughter was working today so I got online and signed her up in Palm Beach County. Just an FYI for young Floridians.

• Like 2

I too agree with the original post here. The CDC has treated airlines in in a much more permissive manner than cruise ships. The CDC has ignored the distancing component as to airlines, while insisting cruise lines sail at 50% - 60% capacity. If the cruise lines require proof of vaccination for all aboard, there shouldn’t be a problem onboard. 

• Like 5

I don’t believe the CDC director should be elected, but I agree with much of Sheila’s post. It’s past time for the CDC to provide a current science-based reason for it’s decision, or non-decision as the case might be. 

And I understand that being on a cruise ship for days is different from a plane for hours, where on a cruise you might be in the middle of the ocean and severely ill. But I don’t understand the lack of any forward progress on the CSO since it was issued. There aren’t even any guidelines for the cruise lines to deal with!

• Like 1

CDC ...another inept goverment agency. It must be by design that this inept goverment agency wants to destroy the cruising industry. As a very senior citizen cruising is really all I am capable of doing to enjoy my life. The ships I go on regent ,oceans, crystal  ,the luxury cruise mainly cater to seniors. With all the precautions the ships  are taking to avoid the spread of covid at major expense it’s time the cdc opened their eyes.

second son

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, BBWC said:

All cruisers on this forum should send this to their representatives! We must be heard. 
sheila

• Like 2

I agree with all of the above. The CDC is ridiculous and is not looking at the real world with their pronouncements. The will never allow us to fully reopen, including cruising, until we can go three weeks running with the only reported covid case in the US being a six year old in Fargo.

OK, enough of my rant.

I happened to catch the below interview today and while it is not completely analogous to cruising, there are many similarities...and of course, no CDC involvement.

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6244007222001#sp=show-clips

• Like 1

Getting a cruise ship occupied with 100% vaccinated people is one thing.  Going to ports in other parts of the world that are not as vaccinated as the USA is an issue I am concerned about.  I am also concerned about getting stuck in a ship where COVID has been found and no country will let the ship dock for the passengers to head home.  All of this is still relatively new.  I do not believe the medical community has enough data to say for certain that a vaccinated person who is exposed to COVID (and doesn't get sick) can pass this on to other people or not.

I really want to get on a cruise ship (I have deposits on three right now),  but I also want to feel that I can manage the risks involved with getting exposed to COVID and still able to get back to the USA as opposed to a quarantine someplace.

• Like 1

You are correct about the issue of a vaccinated person passing the disease to an unvaccinated person. I just wanted a Covid task force meeting on TV where it was reported that this matter is under testing and the result won’t be known for about five months. 

Also, the risk of being quarantined on a ship deters me as well.

It will be interesting to see what happens when Crystal Cruise Line starts their summer cruises. Embarkation in not in USA waters and the itineraries don’t include US ports. All passengers must be vaccinated. Hopefully all goes well.

6 hours ago, mrstanley said:

All passengers must be vaccinated. Hopefully all goes well.

All passengers, all crew vaccinated, limited itinerary (i.e. many people staying on board).  We’re booked on the July 3rd launch, and believe they have protocols in place to make it safe; how it delivers overall we’ll find out in less than 100 days.  Hope Crystal provides some kick-in-the-pants to enable similarly safe voyages to start from the US, like our Regent booking in December. 

Edited by johng75370
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, johng75370 said:

All passengers, all crew vaccinated, limited itinerary (i.e. many people staying on board).  We’re booked on the July 3rd launch, and believe they have protocols in place to make it safe; how it delivers overall we’ll find out in less than 100 days.  Hope Crystal provides some kick-in-the-pants to enable similarly safe voyages to start from the US, like our Regent booking in December. 

Hey...keep it "clean"!  We board the ship 7/10 when you get off 🙂

• Like 2

Too bad Regent isn't cruising from Nassau instead of Crystal; I know of a number of Regent regulars who rarely (if ever) sail Crystal now giving money to Crystal instead of Regent; poor decision by NCLH.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Too bad Regent isn't cruising from Nassau instead of Crystal; I know of a number of Regent regulars who rarely (if ever) sail Crystal now giving money to Crystal instead of Regent; poor decision by NCLH.

For the past year, the number one topic on these forums has been Regent is keeping our Money. Funny that the same people are now booking with the cruise line who had the worst record returning funds and is closest to bankruptcy. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

For the past year, the number one topic on these forums has been Regent is keeping our Money. Funny that the same people are now booking with the cruise line who had the worst record returning funds and is closest to bankruptcy. 

And don't forget that $500 per person administrative fee if you cancel because a better deal comes along.  It appears that the $500 is returned as a coupon that must be used on a later Crystal sailing.

Edited by mrlevin

1 hour ago, Pcardad said:

Also, Crystal does not guarantee that all of their crew will be vaccinated. Passengers must be, but not all of the crew 😞

If it is true that the crew don’t have to be vaccinated, we aren’t going.  There is also the open question of the safety and requirements of visiting ports.  While Regent has been using booked guests as “no interest loans” Paul Gauguin has been worse. No cash refunds. Only FCCs with future cruises at a higher cost.

I checked with Crystal. All crew will be vaccinated.
We would hope Regent will take a page from Crystal. Otherwise we will book on Crystal. 
Several months ago, we had a Crystal cruise booked and we cancelled. Our deposit monies were refunded within 90 days. I have no problem booking with Crystal again.
We are just waiting another few weeks to see if Regent begins to offer a Caribbean cruise soon. We will quickly jump aboard either one!

sheila

Edited by Bellaggio Cruisers

No way am I booking a Crystal cruise.  They still owe me a bunch of money from the one they cancelled and from the one I cancelled before final payment because of the money they owe me from the one they cancelled.

11 minutes ago, RachelG said:

No way am I booking a Crystal cruise.  They still owe me a bunch of money from the one they cancelled and from the one I cancelled before final payment because of the money they owe me from the one they cancelled.

I don’t blame you. We had different experiences... if I were you, I would not book it either.