Jump to content

Viking's Welcome Back Program


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, photopro2 said:

Hi Azulann, 

Trust you are well and really pleased to see that you now have another Viking cruise not too far away! Hopefully you will find time for some "live on-board" posts so we can follow along. 

What ship will you be on? I don't recall anyone mentioning that and we can't check the details on the UK site. 

Great to hear from you. I will be on the Viking Orion ! So excited . Yes , I will post a running review while on board. July 13 -20. I figure Viking will have all the kinks out by our sailing. Looking forward to seeing Bermuda .

 

Patti

but any pictures  I post will pale in comparison to yours! 😍

BTW, Louise and her husband will be on one of the Iceland sailings in July !

Edited by Azulann
Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone think that Viking will add more Welcome Back Iceland cruises?  One more cruise date on July 24th would allow us to celebrate our Anniversary and my birthday onboard.

 

Iceland has been on my bucket list for years.

 

Carolyn

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/6/2021 at 10:57 PM, Clay Clayton said:

Has anyone asked if after the PCR test done before disembarking will Viking provide some sort of document good enough to get back into the USA?   Or will we have to take (and presumably pay for this time) another test?

In the documents from Viking they say they will provide the document for the airport at end of cruise as they are requiring testing on the ship 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, chromatographer said:

Let us know what you find out. We saved the info but are waiting a bit to decide on what we’re doing that day. 

So heard back from Blue Lagoon. They aren’t running there transportation but “hope to have it running by July, please check back with us”.  I got an email from Airport Direct, they offer scheduled coach service to/from airport and to/from downtown. The cost for three of us would be about $140.  But we would have to tote our rollaboards into the Blue Lagoon and store them there and have to change from the large coach to a minivan at the Reykjavik Terminal into a small van which would take us to a scheduled stop at the port. 
 

or, for about $100 more, a driver will pick us up, hold our luggage at BL for up to three hours (there is a per hour charge if longer) and then take us directly to the port.  We have decided that the additional $100 is money we are willing to spend. They also have a van for 7-8 that will do the same so if we find anyone on our roll call arriving at the same time maybe we can save a little 🤞

Link to post
Share on other sites

My cousins and me have booked the Bermuda trip for June 15, I created a Roll Call too but no CC meet and mingle. This is my first trip since my husband died and I am looking forward to it, as he would want me to keep on traveling and he so enjoyed Viking. Viking is giving singles a discount on this cruise too.  I've been to Bermuda a few times so just doing the Viking provided tours is ok by me, and I hope we will have time to shop and give something back to Bermuda tourism in the process.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

 

someone quoted 50% (450 vs 930 full capacity)

I specifically asked when I booked our Iceland trip and also asked Tellus when they called me back about another question I had and both said they thought it was at full capacity. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Let me share my morning phone call from Viking after my email to Tellus.  Basically, the gist of things right now is that Viking just doesn’t know.  Nothing is really nailed down, the answers to all the questions we’ve been raising aren’t yet known to Viking agents.  She was very nice, but here’s all I could glean.  The cruises to Iceland will operate at reduced capacity, but she doesn’t know what percent.  They don’t have a plan yet for sending in your vaccination proof, but probably attached to an email to the office.  She doesn’t know anything about Iceland pre-registration.  The excursions showing on the website for this cruise are just generic, and two stops don’t have excursions listed yet.  This is because nothing is yet nailed down with Iceland vendors.  Until it is, MVJ won’t be up and running for that yet.  She assumed that  because it would be a couple of weeks,  all cabin categories would be eligible to book at the same time (??).  And finally she was stunned to hear, as I was, and had no explanation for the fact that Viking air plus could find absolutely no way to get me to Iceland.  The agent I spoke with said they were taken by surprise by these cruises and didn’t have sufficient inventory of contracted seats.  So after about an hour of trying, she refunded my air plus fee and the business class air money, and I made my own reservations—on the very itineraries I gave her to begin with. I feel a Magical Mystery Cruise coming on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Let me share my morning phone call from Viking after my email to Tellus.  Basically, the gist of things right now is that Viking just doesn’t know.  Nothing is really nailed down, the answers to all the questions we’ve been raising aren’t yet known to Viking agents.  She was very nice, but here’s all I could glean.  The cruises to Iceland will operate at reduced capacity, but she doesn’t know what percent.  They don’t have a plan yet for sending in your vaccination proof, but probably attached to an email to the office.  She doesn’t know anything about Iceland pre-registration.  The excursions showing on the website for this cruise are just generic, and two stops don’t have excursions listed yet.  This is because nothing is yet nailed down with Iceland vendors.  Until it is, MVJ won’t be up and running for that yet.  She assumed that  because it would be a couple of weeks,  all cabin categories would be eligible to book at the same time (??).  And finally she was stunned to hear, as I was, and had no explanation for the fact that Viking air plus could find absolutely no way to get me to Iceland.  The agent I spoke with said they were taken by surprise by these cruises and didn’t have sufficient inventory of contracted seats.  So after about an hour of trying, she refunded my air plus fee and the business class air money, and I made my own reservations—on the very itineraries I gave her to begin with. I feel a Magical Mystery Cruise coming on.

Thanks for the update. I've been told that 900 pax on the Iceland cruise but I would not necessarily trust that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday I was able to access in MVJ my cruise for Iceland on Jul 3rd. There were no excursions available yet but the full itinerary was there. I could see the dining options and it said I was able to reserve on 4/24.  Today when I access MVJ, I only get the "Coming Soon" message.  Anyone able to access their booking?

 

Diana

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Let me share my morning phone call from Viking after my email to Tellus.  Basically, the gist of things right now is that Viking just doesn’t know.  Nothing is really nailed down, the answers to all the questions we’ve been raising aren’t yet known to Viking agents.  She was very nice, but here’s all I could glean.  The cruises to Iceland will operate at reduced capacity, but she doesn’t know what percent.  They don’t have a plan yet for sending in your vaccination proof, but probably attached to an email to the office.  She doesn’t know anything about Iceland pre-registration.  The excursions showing on the website for this cruise are just generic, and two stops don’t have excursions listed yet.  This is because nothing is yet nailed down with Iceland vendors.  Until it is, MVJ won’t be up and running for that yet.  She assumed that  because it would be a couple of weeks,  all cabin categories would be eligible to book at the same time (??).  And finally she was stunned to hear, as I was, and had no explanation for the fact that Viking air plus could find absolutely no way to get me to Iceland.  The agent I spoke with said they were taken by surprise by these cruises and didn’t have sufficient inventory of contracted seats.  So after about an hour of trying, she refunded my air plus fee and the business class air money, and I made my own reservations—on the very itineraries I gave her to begin with. I feel a Magical Mystery Cruise coming on.

Thanks for taking the time to share this!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope, just coming soon.  My invoice says we can make reservations for the dining room on MARCH 18!?M. I’m glad you saw something, though.  That’s a positive sign.  My husband keeps telling me a watched pot will never bail, LOL.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve been reading Iceland’s new regulations re vaccinated passengers.  There is still a test to be taken at the airport upon arrival.  The requirement reads:  Is there arrival testing and quarantine? Yes. If you hold an appropriate certificate, you are required to undergo one COVID-19 test upon arrival. The test is free. You must quarantine until you have the result of this test (usually within 24 hours). You do not need to quarantine for 5-6 days and take a second test. 

 

That would seem to indicate that we have to go straight from the airport to the ship to quarantine for 24 hours, or until we get results.  So no embarkation day trips by Viking or on our own?  Or am I misreading this??

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Azulann said:

Opened my emails this morning and Viking has already given me my flights to and from  Bermuda. 

That was fast. Flying Delta to Bermuda and American back to US and home. 

Wow! Fantastic!  Viking air having issues getting flights so glad you got yours.  It’s a real conundrum as likely not enough was contracted.  Going via Atlanta and back via Charlotte?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Maybe a quickly (and perhaps poorly) cobbled cruise is not a great idea regardless of one's view that they "can't wait" to get back cruising. Just a thought.

That was my thought, too. We're going to Iceland in June, but on a land-based trip we put together with our friend, Dr. Google.

 

We thought about doing the cruise (Viking's itinerary looks great) and ultimately decided that wasn't quite what we wanted to do right now. A land-based trip gives us more time in Iceland (16 days) and allows us to drive all 800 miles of the Ring Road.  I drove the Road by myself in 2011; now I get to do it with my wife.

 

I hope the summer cruises work out for everybody! I'm glad Viking is taking these first steps, with appropriate precautions. Hopefully other itineraries will open up after Iceland and Bermuda. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

change from the large coach to a minivan at the Reykjavik Terminal into a small van which would take us to a scheduled stop at the port. 

 

This is SOP. At least in Reykjavik they put you on a minibus to get you to your final destination. In other countries, the main bus terminal would be your final destination and you would be on your own from there. 

 

Clay, I just paid for our transfer to the airport on Monday morning using FlyBus. Two seats cost $72.20. A minibus will pick us at the bus stop by our hotel and take us to the bus terminal in time to catch the 6:30am bus to KEF. 

 

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

Or am I misreading this??

 

I am having the same problem. Am I covered by this paragraph or that one?

 

34 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

I hope the summer cruises work out for everybody!

 

Me, too. 🙃

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

 

Clay, I just paid for our transfer to the airport on Monday morning using FlyBus. Two seats cost $72.20. A minibus will pick us at the bus stop by our hotel and take us to the bus terminal in time to catch the 6:30am bus to KEF. 

 

We ended up having two more from our roll call join us so (based on the current 5 folks) for $74 per person, we get picked up, at KEF, driven to the Blue Lagoon, driver waits with our luggage for up to 3 hours and then drives us to the cruise port. I need to figure out whether we will do Flybus or a private shuttle back to the airport upon disembarkation.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

I need to figure out whether we will do Flybus or a private shuttle back to the airport upon disembarkation.  

 

Since we bought our own flights, we decided to buy Viking transfers for the airport to ship trip. $49pp -- more expensive than FlyBus (but no need to do the bus terminal shuffle) but not as expensive as a private transfer.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

We ended up having two more from our roll call join us so (based on the current 5 folks) for $74 per person, we get picked up, at KEF, driven to the Blue Lagoon, driver waits with our luggage for up to 3 hours and then drives us to the cruise port.

 

FANTASTIC!!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

 

Since we bought our own flights, we decided to buy Viking transfers for the airport to ship trip. $49pp -- more expensive than FlyBus (but no need to do the bus terminal shuffle) but not as expensive as a private transfer.

 

 

 

 

There will be three of us so I’m hoping that it may come close to a wash.  That way we won’t have to be sitting (waiting) on the coach for someone who forgot their hat on board. LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

I’ve been reading Iceland’s new regulations re vaccinated passengers.  There is still a test to be taken at the airport upon arrival.  The requirement reads:  Is there arrival testing and quarantine? Yes. If you hold an appropriate certificate, you are required to undergo one COVID-19 test upon arrival. The test is free. You must quarantine until you have the result of this test (usually within 24 hours). You do not need to quarantine for 5-6 days and take a second test. 

 

That would seem to indicate that we have to go straight from the airport to the ship to quarantine for 24 hours, or until we get results.  So no embarkation day trips by Viking or on our own?  Or am I misreading this??

If you scroll down, you will see that there exceptions to the Covid test one of which is a Covid Vaccination certificate -

https://www.landlaeknir.is/um-embaettid/greinar/grein/item44162/Certificate-of-vaccination-against-COVID-19-accepted-at-the-border

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

I’ve been reading Iceland’s new regulations re vaccinated passengers.  There is still a test to be taken at the airport upon arrival.  The requirement reads:  Is there arrival testing and quarantine? Yes. If you hold an appropriate certificate, you are required to undergo one COVID-19 test upon arrival. The test is free. You must quarantine until you have the result of this test (usually within 24 hours). You do not need to quarantine for 5-6 days and take a second test. 

 

That would seem to indicate that we have to go straight from the airport to the ship to quarantine for 24 hours, or until we get results.  So no embarkation day trips by Viking or on our own?  Or am I misreading this??

How do you go to Blue Lagoon, or anywhere else with the 24 hour quarantine?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, vslparis said:

If you scroll down, you will see that there exceptions to the Covid test one of which is a Covid Vaccination certificate -

https://www.landlaeknir.is/um-embaettid/greinar/grein/item44162/Certificate-of-vaccination-against-COVID-19-accepted-at-the-border

I don’t see that.  What I see is this, which is also what Delta says about our flight.

  • All arriving passengers must undergo at least one COVID-19 screening, wherever they are coming from and at any age, including those with a vaccination certificate or a certificate of previous infection.
  • While awaiting screening results instructions for quarantine must be followed.
Edited by SantaFe1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, duquephart said:

Maybe a quickly (and perhaps poorly) cobbled cruise is not a great idea regardless of one's view that they "can't wait" to get back cruising. Just a thought.

I don't think that anything the Chairman would put together in this situation would be quickly ( and perhaps) poorly put together.  Perfect, no, but then nothing is.  They had a lot of the ducks in a row ,including flights, way before they put these sailings up for sale. Too much at stake. Just a thought.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: American Queen Steamboat Company
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...