Public Health Emergency Renewed effective 4/21/21

Extended for 3 more months

PHE Home > Emergency > News & Multimedia > Public Health Actions > PHE > Renewal of Determination That A Public Health Emergency Exists

Renewal of Determination That A Public Health Emergency Exists

As a result of the continued consequences of the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic, on this date and after consultation with public health officials as necessary, I, Xavier Becerra, Secretary of Health and Human Services, pursuant to the authority vested in me under section 319 of the Public Health Service Act, do hereby renew, effective April 21, 2021, the January 31, 2020, determination by former Secretary Alex M. Azar II, that he previously renewed on April 21, 2020, July 23, 2020, October 2, 2020, and January 7, 2021, that a public health emergency exists and has existed since January 27, 2020, nationwide.

April  15, 2021

/s/

Edited by molly361

• molly361 changed the title to Public Health Emergency Renewed effective 4/21/21
16 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

The number of available hospital beds is too low

Only 7% of Tennessee hospital beds are occupied by covid patients (with a portion of those coming to the hospital for non-covid reasons, then testing positive after being admitted). Hardly a concern.

One of the biggest snow jobs of covid has been hospitalizations. No one was ever in danger of being overloaded.  THe largest hospital chains in the country saw admissions down 10-20% from 2019 numbers.

Edited by smokeybandit
  • Like 13

As tough as it is, we do have to face reality. The Bahamas are having it rough again and probably would not be a welcoming port of embarkation for cruise ships. Any Nassau / Bimini RCCL sailings are probably a no-go at least until November. 

Disappointed, disgruntled and disapproving cruisers really have no say so in the matter. Nor should they. Suck it up and be thankful you don't have the responsibility for millions.. I certainly am glad you don't.

Edited by Spif Barwunkel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Only 7% of Tennessee hospital beds are occupied by covid patients (with a portion of those coming to the hospital for non-covid reasons, then testing positive after being admitted). Hardly a concern.

Wait ... what happened to the "sky is falling the sky is falling" the other poster mentioned when it comes to hospital beds full in TN? LOL

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BecciBoo said:

I fully expect it.  And the flu shots are not guesses, they are developed to deal with new variants from the previous flu season.  This virus has developed variants as well and to properly protect, one must have boosters with newer protectants.  I don't mind that at all, I haven't had flu for at least 15 yrs since I started getting vaccines for them.  I will be glad to vaccine up again, fortunately for me, I hardly notice them.  I had a bigger bump on my arm from Covid one and slept a lot, that's it.

They are guesses. From a lefty source:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/from-an-uncertain-process-of-guesses-and-science-each-years-flu-vaccines-emerge/2015/01/08/efc6e010-9744-11e4-aabd-d0b93ff613d5_story.html

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

One of the biggest snow jobs of covid has been hospitalizations. No one was ever in danger of being overloaded.  THe largest hospital chains in the country saw admissions down 10-20% from 2019 numbers.

I live in the NYC metro area, the danger was real here, my family members who are ED doctors in Brooklyn would disagree with you. All of my local hospitals struggled.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, mjkacmom said:

I live in the NYC metro area, the danger was real here, my family members who are ED doctors in Brooklyn would disagree with you. All of my local hospitals struggled.

You mean the place where they cram 8.4 million people in a small area (20 million  in the metro) walked down packed sidewalks, ride packed trains, and pack in building like cockroaches had a big spread of a disease???

Perhaps NYC was not prepared. Or maybe they never can be prepared because they are packed in like sardines.

However, that time as passed. Cuomo got all the nursing home people wiped out which made up about 50% of the deaths in the early days. 

No one is yelling that they need ventilators anymore. The emergency part has passed.

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

As tough as it is, we do have to face reality. The Bahamas are having it rough again and probably would not be a welcoming port of embarkation for cruise ships. Any Nassau / Bimini RCCL sailings are probably a no-go at least until November. 

Disappointed, disgruntled and disapproving cruisers really have no say so in the matter. Nor should they. Suck it up and be thankful you don't have the responsibility for millions.. I certainly am glad you don't.

Do you think the summer sailings were just a ploy to get more deposits and final payments 🤔

Genius 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, John&LaLa said:

Do you think the summer sailings were just a ploy to get more deposits and final payments 🤔

Genius 😉

For the sake of my super expensive non-refundable flight I sure hope not.

21 minutes ago, NightOne said:

You mean the place where they cram 8.4 million people in a small area (20 million  in the metro) walked down packed sidewalks, ride packed trains, and pack in building like cockroaches had a big spread of a disease???

Perhaps NYC was not prepared. Or maybe they never can be prepared because they are packed in like sardines.

However, that time as passed. Cuomo got all the nursing home people wiped out which made up about 50% of the deaths in the early days. 

No one is yelling that they need ventilators anymore. The emergency part has passed.

And we are still at red, plenty of new cases. ETA, my NJ county is still on red, no crowded sidewalks here, white collar city commuters mostly working remotely still.

Edited by mjkacmom

Just now, NightOne said:

All the data you want is on the CDC website. Their own data supports the fact that this is no longer an emergency. Go read it. 🙂

Interesting.  I've read the CDC data.  How, exactly does their own data support that there is no longer an emergency?  One would think that with the CDC being a sub-agency under HHS, that HHS would not come to a conclusion contrary to CDC data.  Exactly what in their data supports your assertion?

• Like 2

I believe a lot of the federal aid / covid related programs would end if they declared the health emergency to be over.      As long as we are in a Health Emergency then people cannot be evicted/foreclosed on/ can receive the additional "emergency" unemployment, etc. etc. etc.    

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I fully expect it.  And the flu shots are not guesses, they are developed to deal with new variants from the previous flu season.  This virus has developed variants as well and to properly protect, one must have boosters with newer formulations.  I don't mind that at all, I haven't had flu for at least 15 yrs since I started getting vaccines for them.  I will be glad to vaccine up again, fortunately for me, I hardly notice them.  I had a bigger bump on my arm from Covid one and slept a lot, that's it.

Flu vaccines really are scientifically educated guesses and many years they get this wrong because the influenza virus is constantly mutating outside what is known.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/vaccine-selection.htm

The present covid-19 vaccines are thought to be partly responsible for the new variants according to vaccine producers, this means booster shots but they can not be developed until a variant is identified, booster shots are then created taking time but they also contribute to the creation of variants and so on and so on. It's an arms race the current vaccines cannot win.

It's not that the current vaccines are bad it is just that they are very specific and targeted.

https://www.labiotech.eu/trends-news/emergex-covid-19-vaccine/

According to Dr Fauci  “you still have a fixed immunogen and a virus that’s changing. Sooner or later, you’re going to get a mutant that evades that.”

Meaning none of the current or future boosters based on current vaccines will be effective against a vaccine resistant variant and worse still nobody knows when this will happen.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2777785

A small subset of the Novaxx trial in South Africa showed that previous exposure to older versions of covid-19 seemed to provide a protective effect against the South African variant. This may hold true for future variants only time will tell.

Getting vaccinated is definitely a good idea not being exposed to the live virus might possibly be a very bad one if new and different vaccines are not created, only time will tell

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, nomad098 said:

scientifically educated guesses

I would still never associate these updated yearly flu vaccines as mere guesses.  Yes, some are more effective than others, but your statement effectively relegates flu vaccine development as smoke and mirrors, when it definitely IS Science, not a guess.   See how the general population does without such vaccines then....yeah, good luck with that.  Just because you quote a study or paper does not prove such a provocative statement, not to me.  Done and done........

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Where do you see that the Bahamas are having it rough again with Covid?    

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Where do you see that the Bahamas are having it rough again with Covid?    

I just checked and according the The NY Times, the Bahamas currently have an average of 39 cases per day or 10/100,000.  That seams low to me?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, mek said:

I just checked and according the The NY Times, the Bahamas currently have an average of 39 cases per day or 10/100,000.  That seams low to me?

I saw the same figures and thought that sounded low to me too.   Not sure what the poster saw to make them say Bahamas are having it rough again.    

Just like the US, All of that will change as more residents are vaccinated.   I see No reason for them to say the sailings out of Bahamas on Adventure won't happen.   

• Like 3

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Genius 😉

Probably a drop in the bucket. Not really selling like hotcakes these days.

3 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Really? You really believe this?

Hospitals were definitely overwhelmed in the beginning and many still are.  In many places there were people in the hallways, one local hospital even had patients in the gift shop. And our state has always had lower numbers than many other states.

Just this past January, my elderly mother had an emergency (not covid) and had to spend 3 days in an ER bed because there were no beds in the ICU due to them being filled by Covid patients.

Where are you getting your information?  Guess you never saw the refrigerated trucks that had to be brought in to store the bodies.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I saw the same figures and thought that sounded low to me too.   Not sure what the poster saw to make them say Bahamas are having it rough again.....  

Maybe reading outdated info and not checking the date of the articles. Not a good idea. 

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 2