Public Health Emergency Renewed effective 4/21/21

14 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

But overweight, fat, obese appear to be the largest targeted group by covid. Yet, CDCmakes no. mention. Could it be they are concerned with offending people? and shaming people?

I do think so. 

14 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

But overweight, fat, obese appear to be the largest targeted group by covid. Yet, CDCmakes no. mention. Could it be they are concerned with offending people? and shaming people?

I do think so. 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/people-with-medical-conditions.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HBCcruiser said:

I am in a suite on the Adventure July 17, 2021. I was able to book a refundable ticket. Can you please clarify? Is this on certain sailings? 

Was it through a TA?

2 minutes ago, Big_G said:

Was it through a TA?

No I just called Air2Sea and spoke to a rep. He assigned me my initial economy seats then I went into my AA account and upgraded them. 🤷‍♀️

This was a few days ago. 

Edited by HBCcruiser

5 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

Thank you for posting this. Do you know why the mass media is NOT telling us these things? Because I'm pretty sure that 90% of the American population has never read this from the CDC. Probably a greater %

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ukigirl said:

Here in Michigan hospitals are at 95% capacity 

Think you might mean ICU beds, not all Hospital Beds. Though some Hospitals typical day pre-Covid example of 85% ICU is normal. There are 2919 ICU Beds in Michigan, as of today 4379 Covid Patients in Hospitals with 906 Covid patients occupying ICU beds. Currently 78% all Hospital Beds Full. Still, another Sad Day in Michigan

4 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Thank you for posting this. Do you know why the mass media is NOT telling us these things? Because I'm pretty sure that 90% of the American population has never read this from the CDC. Probably a greater %

Sounds like you need to read/watch a better "mass media."  The mass media cable news stations I watch and read have spoke to this ad nauseum.     

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

I do think so. 

The media has said about being overweight or obese raises risk factors, but an obese person often  has other underlining medical conditions that are also on the list.

I know Dr. Fauci has done multiple interview where he discussed obesity. Here's one.
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/dr-fauci-said-people-more-111512123.html

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ArthurUSCG said:

The media has said about being overweight or obese raises risk factors, but an obese person often  has other underlining medical conditions that are also on the list.

I know Dr. Fauci has done multiple interview where he discussed obesity. Here's one.
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/dr-fauci-said-people-more-111512123.html

I guess you're right. But early on everyone was talking that age was a factor and that breathing (lung issues) was a problem. I must admit, that I have completely stopped listening to Fauci. He speaks and too often changes directions. He's a visual mouthpiece and blah, blah, blah is now what most folks hear these days. His 15 minutes of fame expired months back.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

We have a problem in our country with obesity that starts unfortunately at a young age with poor choices of eating habits and sedentary lifestyles.  Even if the CDC posted this with 36 font on the website, people would ignore it. For the record, I know there are people with thyroid issues (I am one) and it is difficult for weight loss.  I am talking about takeout and doordash as opposed to a healthy home cooked low cal meal and exercise instead of a couch potato.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Ukigirl said:

In Michigan we're a perfect example of the idiocy of "travel restrictions".  Our governor say's "don't travel", stay home where it's really bad.....huh?  Why would going to Florida make things worse when it's running rampant now in Michigan?  She is an idiot.  And at the same time some of her high level employees travel south this spring, but that's OK:

Whitmer defends DHHS director vacationing out of state without being fully vaccinated (freep.com)

• Like 4

In the 2018-2019 flu season, 477 children under the age of 18 died of the flu. Total COVID deaths for that age group is 258.

We take risks everyday. When the automobile was developed do you think it would have ever happened if the media hyped that to enjoy this modern marvel tens of thousands of us would have to sacrifice their lives yearly?

Let’s get going. We have flattened the curve, upended our society, listened and tried to keep up with all the different directives, and got the shot yet we  have to continue this? If you don’t want to take the risk, fine but let those who are willing to live our lives with this risk and we will let you live your’s.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, jean87510 said:

We have a problem in our country with obesity that starts unfortunately at a young age with poor choices of eating habits and sedentary lifestyles.  Even if the CDC posted this with 36 font on the website, people would ignore it. For the record, I know there are people with thyroid issues (I am one) and it is difficult for weight loss.  I am talking about takeout and doordash as opposed to a healthy home cooked low cal meal and exercise instead of a couch potato.

and don't forget how prescription drugs cause weight gain. Big pharma is fattening up America too.

On 4/19/2021 at 3:11 PM, torpeedo said:

As long as they continue to make this a public health emergency crisis they all keep all their powers.  They will never give that up.  

I was blamed for not bending over and not obeying enough (I even noticed some of my comments were removed - sterilization at its best like in my former country (the biggest on the Earth) that I left 31 years ago; I would never thought it might occur here, too; and here we are with a brutal reality).  It's all good though (stay optimistic):

Big government doesn't want us to return to 'normal' (msn.com)

• Like 3

On 4/19/2021 at 10:28 PM, CruisingHogFan said:

Since the CDC changed the Bahamas to the highest risk level with no travel it’s not looking good....

We booked through air2sea as I never really thought we would sail

They will change any place to "the highest risk level with no travel" as soon as a cruise is introduced to start from such a place.  That's the plan after all.  The step forward, 2 steps backward...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Junkhouse said:

We take risks everyday. When the automobile was developed do you think it would have ever happened if the media hyped that to enjoy this modern marvel tens of thousands of us would have to sacrifice their lives yearly?

Yes. https://press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/467412.html

The first traffic deaths in any town or village were shocking incidents, but as early as 1906, Prince Heinrich zu Schnaich-Carolath noted on the floor of the German parliament that car accidents, often deadly ones, “have unfortunately become a regular column in the daily press.” As the Russian writer Ilya Ehrenburg declared portentously in 1929, “At first such things were known as ‘catastrophes.’ Now people speak of ‘accidents.’ Soon they’ll stop speaking altogether. Silently they’ll haul away the victim and silently write down the number. Sentimental neighbors wipe their noses, of course, and philosophically minded people argue about the ‘new peril.’ Commissions discuss protective laws. But the automobile keeps right on doing its job. . . . It only fulfills its destiny: It is destined to wipe out the world.”

5 minutes ago, Pratique said:

Yes. https://press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/467412.html

The first traffic deaths in any town or village were shocking incidents, but as early as 1906, Prince Heinrich zu Schnaich-Carolath noted on the floor of the German parliament that car accidents, often deadly ones, “have unfortunately become a regular column in the daily press.” As the Russian writer Ilya Ehrenburg declared portentously in 1929, “At first such things were known as ‘catastrophes.’ Now people speak of ‘accidents.’ Soon they’ll stop speaking altogether. Silently they’ll haul away the victim and silently write down the number. Sentimental neighbors wipe their noses, of course, and philosophically minded people argue about the ‘new peril.’ Commissions discuss protective laws. But the automobile keeps right on doing its job. . . . It only fulfills its destiny: It is destined to wipe out the world.”

Great post, thank you for it.

I picture the CDC as though it's 1910 and they insist horses are still much better than cars. Those newfangled machines are just too darned risky and dangerous, and there have been 2 car accidents. Two, I tell you! Somebody even died! Nope, too dangerous, no one's allowed to drive a car now.

That's essentially their excuse for stopping cruising from the US: a few incidents in March 2020 and that remains the sum total of what they think of cruising. They're stuck in an early 2020, pre-vaccine mindset, too stubborn to realize how behind the times they are.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Great post, thank you for it.

I picture the CDC as though it's 1910 and they insist horses are still much better than cars. Those newfangled machines are just too darned risky and dangerous, and there have been 2 car accidents. Two, I tell you! Somebody even died! Nope, too dangerous, no one's allowed to drive a car now.

That's essentially their excuse for stopping cruising from the US: a few incidents in March 2020 and that remains the sum total of what they think of cruising. They're stuck in an early 2020, pre-vaccine mindset, too stubborn to realize how behind the times they are.

Remember, it's the science.

Except for the facts ~

https://fortune.com/2021/04/02/italy-lockdown-cruise-msc-grandiosa-easter-travel/

Over 350,000 cruise passengers since the pandemic closed the cruise lines down, only 23 positive virus cases.

Cruises Cases/Population ~ 23 / 350,000 = 0.00006

World Cases/Population ~ 143,680,227 / 7,900,000,000 = 0.02

Decreased Risk on Cruise ~ 0.00006 / 0.02 = (0.997) = 99.7% Less Risk

• Like 2

On 4/19/2021 at 3:25 PM, Spif Barwunkel said:

As tough as it is, we do have to face reality. The Bahamas are having it rough again and probably would not be a welcoming port of embarkation for cruise ships. Any Nassau / Bimini RCCL sailings are probably a no-go at least until November. 

Disappointed, disgruntled and disapproving cruisers really have no say so in the matter. Nor should they. Suck it up and be thankful you don't have the responsibility for millions.. I certainly am glad you don't.

Huh?

They have 194 "deaths," IMO the real indicator, 0.0005 compared to the US 0.00162 (approximately 70% less).

Considering the general health standards and levels of comparative care facilities of and for the population, kind of makes one wonder.

Add to that, the US out performs by 10X the Bahamas with a vaccination rate of its population 35% to 3.5%.

Pfizer?  Nope.  Moderna?  Nope.  Johnson & Johnson?  Nope.

Astrazeneca?  Yep.

vac.thumb.JPG.7c16a2a0d1a19a5ca9fb95c09d80c2af.JPG

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, At Sea At Peace said:

Except for the facts ~

https://fortune.com/2021/04/02/italy-lockdown-cruise-msc-grandiosa-easter-travel/

Over 350,000 cruise passengers since the pandemic closed the cruise lines down, only 23 positive virus cases.

And yet this still appears on the CDC's website. Simply unbelievable.

"CDC recommends that all people avoid travel on cruise ships, including river cruises, worldwide. That's because the chance of getting COVID-19 on cruise ships is high since the virus appears to spread more easily between people in close quarters aboard ships. It is especially important that people with an increased risk of severe illness avoid travel on cruise ships, including river cruises."

21 minutes ago, At Sea At Peace said:

Except for the facts ~

You forgot to mention all the protocols in place for these cruises, reduced capacity, masks, social distancing, no ports, etc, etc. Keep those in place, as the mew norm and open cruises up, and see the response. Guaranteed that the lines will be out of business in less than a year.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

You forgot to mention all the protocols in place for these cruises, reduced capacity, masks, social distancing, no ports, etc, etc. Keep those in place, as the mew norm and open cruises up, and see the response. 

Didn't forget to mention (i.e., educate) on the protocols, just believed that, at this point since August resumptions in Italy on the Grandiosa, that most CruiseCritic readers would be quite familiar with such elementary requirements as reduced capacity, masks social distancing.  Also rigorous testing requirements.

"No ports" in Italy is simply false; as well as Malta.

4 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Guaranteed that the lines will be out of business in less than a year.

Well, the 3 largest cruise lines stocks are trading at almost their all time year high when adjusting for the dilution of new issuances and convertible debt?

Their debt is trading at par or above par?

Doesn't look like the financial market investors, advisors and ratings professionals are expecting "out of business in less than a year."

Also, if that were, in fact the case, the Independent Auditor's would have had to give a "Going Concern" qualification on their annual financial statements.

That didn't happen either.

Hmmm.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

This and the other 92% oif the multi-trillion dollar 'relief' funding. A lot of people got a lot of money over covid. Fact. 

It is going to make us puke when it all comes out in a few years.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Ukigirl said:

Sounds like you need to expand or build more hospitals.

Unfortunately that is difficult because Michigan is a Certificate of Need state where the existing hospitals get to prevent their competitors from growing. 😞