"Medallion Class" with out a smartphone.

skidroe

On 5/12/2021 at 12:49 PM, gmjc2 said:

If all you need is a phone that makes and receives phone calls then an expensive smart phone is not for you

Agreed. In that case all you need is a cheap one ..... that was a current ad that I screenshot ---- phone is $29.95. Or a freebie when a kid updates theirs.

Besides MedallionMonday clips shows how it can even be accessed in your stateroom

Edited by Ombud

8 hours ago, Ombud said:

Agreed. In that case all you need is a cheap one ..... that was a current ad that I screenshot ---- phone is $29.95. Or a freebie when a kid updates theirs.

Besides MedallionMonday clips shows how it can even be accessed in your stateroom

It isnt just about buying a smartphone but using it before you get onboard you need an internet connection and you cannot count on free wi-fi being available or if available working correctly.

1 hour ago, majortom10 said:

It isnt just about buying a smartphone but using it before you get onboard you need an internet connection and you cannot count on free wi-fi being available or if available working correctly.

You're right. Skidroe's point was that they are older, not that they couldn't afford a smartphone. Remember your first Android or iOS device? What frustration for awhile!

Princess' demographic is 50's and '60's. I have no doubt the Medallion design team is in their 20's and 30's and have no clue what it's like to be a senior and learn a new technology and deal with obfuscation. Now add to that doors that won't unlock with the Medallion, (personal experience, but not phone related) connectivity issues you mention, drinks delivered to the wrong place, online menues incorrect... Can you imagine the mess of sports betting on the app? 

I hope smartphones never become a required part of cruising. It seems incongruous to be so connected to the world while you're on vacation. 

Edited by mtnesterz
Spelling
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Torfamm said:

These are all personal choices. It seems we are at a point with smart phones similar to where we were with computers not so very long ago. 

So very true. I remember the first computer DH brought home (without telling me that he'd bought it). It had a "floppy" disk - the BIG one, it ran something called DOS (😃) and the hard drive had IIRC about 250mb. My smart phone has more that that.

I was so mad. "What can we possibly use that for?"

Everything that I do on the Droid you can now do on the website. 

13 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

I hope smartphones never become a required part of cruising. It seems incongruous to be so connected to the world while you're on vacation. 

I actually never used my phone on a medallion cruise onboard except to check email. Couldn't find the Internet Cafe on 1 ship 

7 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

So very true. I remember the first computer DH brought home (without telling me that he'd bought it). It had a "floppy" disk - the BIG one, it ran something called DOS (😃) and the hard drive had IIRC about 250mb. My smart phone has more that that.

OMG I remember my 1st one, a TI with 32 bits. 

Edited by Ombud

41 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Everything that I do on the Droid you can now do on the website. 

I am not concerned about being able to do everything on Princess website I am concerned on the impact of my choices whilst onboard without a smartphone and of course will have no access to their website.

43 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

I am not concerned about being able to do everything on Princess website I am concerned on the impact of my choices whilst onboard without a smartphone and of course will have no access to their website.

Per Webinars, your stateroom TV will have the options. Yes it will require daily planning which detracts from 'vaca mode'

You can use the computers in the internet center at no charge for Princess.com.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

You can use the computers in the internet center at no charge for Princess.com.

So every time I want to plan something or see what is available on the spur of the moment when in the past I would just go to my back pocket and pull out a Princess Patter instead I have to go to the Internet Centre and search. No thanks that would seriously impact on my cruise and is not what I go on holiday for.

• Like 2

So every time I want to plan something or see what is available on the spur of the moment when in the past I would just go to my back pocket and pull out a Princess Patter instead I have to go to the Internet Centre and search. No thanks that would seriously impact on my cruise and is not what I go on holiday for.

I apologize. When you said this, "will have no access to their website", I thought you wanted access to Princess.com. Mea Culpa.

5 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

Absolutely agreed.... on a cruise have always disconnected, no computers or phone....

( check phone once a day on port days in case something happens at home )

the idea is to relax away from everyday life......

the motto     keep it simple  ( it is called a cruise card )...

Some would say.... you can order a drink sitting st the pool... how about get up walk to the bar,  talk to the bar staff and get your drink.....   It is not like you have to be anywhere else...

Technology is good.... and helps people.... but this is the other way....

• Like 4

I for one enjoy reading my Patter /cruise news every evening and carrying the days schedule with me.   They can stop sending the paper shopping junk but I want my paper Patter and newspaper (where available).  I do not intend to be swiping and staring at a small screen all day.!

• Like 4

I don’t think the issue is really the expanding technology itself.  I am retired from a lifetime of computer systems work—designing, programming and installing computer systems, or “apps” (applications) as they are known today.  One of the hallmarks of good computer design is that it becomes easier and easier to use as time goes by.  Yet I find it frustrating and disgusting that there are so many technical issues confronting people who should be able to just plug in something and it will work immediately.  Instead, we still have to jump through a complex myriad of hoops in order to make it work.  Shouldn’t even have to call a technician for help.  This is not brain surgery!  A good designer/programmer can create a hands-off installation—just plug it in and walk away—but it seems we have lowered our expectations of the people we hire, so that we get just people who can code, not code well.  Not to mention programming done by cheap sites across the world, instead of here in the USA where we can have some control.

• Like 2

The one thing I find confusing on MedallionClass Mondays are reserving a spot to do something. If I oversleep (happens onboard) am I left with a book on my balcony?? If so, I better bring a lot. The ship libraries are woefully inadequate

Edited by Ombud
Typo

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

The one thing I find confusing on MedallionClass Mondays are reserving a spot to do something. If I oversleep (happens onboard) am I left with a book on my balcony?? If so, I better bring a lot. The ship libraries are woefully inadequate

I wonder too, what happens if someone books and doesn't show. I suspect this system will be used to limit attendance in the theaters either for social distancing purposes (if that still exists by the time we cruise) of just to make sure people aren't turned away at the door.

Will seats reserved for "no-shows" be released say five minutes before the show starts? Will they just go empty? Will habitual "no-shows" eventually be denied making reservations? Inquiring minds want to know!

• Like 4

Will we be able to book before boarding? The only things I always attend are the major shows. I'm flexible with everything else (and no kindle, too hard on the eyes to read online)

Will be watching future MedallionClass Mondays for more info

Adding: I guess I finally get it.  Ah well, next 2 cruises have only 2 sea days each

Edited by Ombud

On 5/13/2021 at 7:28 AM, majortom10 said:

I will be taking a step back and not cruise with Princess and cruise elsewhere.

This makes at least three times you've made this statement in this thread. 

Please stop belaboring the point and just DO IT.

• Like 2

On 5/15/2021 at 5:58 AM, majortom10 said:

Many people have now told you that you don't need a smart phone and there are plenty of options for you to cruise as you always have, without reliance on the medallion technology.

You now seem to be complaining for complaining sake. Be offended if you wish but there is no need to be. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, leck57 said:

Many people have now told you that you don't need a smart phone and there are plenty of options for you to cruise as you always have, without reliance on the medallion technology.

You now seem to be complaining for complaining sake. Be offended if you wish but there is no need to be. 

Many have replied without knowing the new further advancements by Princess and the impactment on cruises in the future and I am sure that I am not the only non smartphone user concerned.

• Like 1

Many have replied without knowing the new further advancements by Princess and the impactment on cruises in the future and I am sure that I am not the only non smartphone user concerned.

You are not alone.

On 5/14/2021 at 11:52 AM, JF - retired RRT said:

When you say "the BIG one" do you mean the 8" or the 5.25 inch?  Many folks don't remember the 8" disks. If you had a hard drive at all I'm guessing you mean the 5.25" disks. Our first PC had a 5.25" disk drive and a whopping 40 MB hard drive. I used to by the cheaper "single sided" floppy disks and then used a punch that put a square hole in the side to make it a double sided disk. The media was the same but they sold it without the punch at a cheaper rate. I still have the punch in my desk drawer. 😁

They used the same marketing method with the 386 and 486 processors. They sold them in SX and DX models. The chips were essentially the same but they didn't burn the trace connection to the math co-processor on the SX versions and sold them for less. Marketing is weird.

As for DOS... I loved it. (3.3 was great. 4.0 stunk. 5.0 was good and 6.22 was amazing.) I didn't switch to Windows until Netscape came out and there was Graphical Internet. I did have Internet access before that but it was all UNIX based so it was just text. Things have really changed.

• Like 2

On 5/17/2021 at 4:05 AM, majortom10 said:

I think many of us are watching MedallionClass Mondays to stay informed. Plus you're posting on the internet so you're not that far behind. And yes, those without a smart phone have to use [1] any portal around the ship [2] stateroom TV or [3] carry a tablet. Or complain to a crew member (oh wait you might need Journey View for that)

19 minutes ago, Thrak said:

When you say "the BIG one" do you mean the 8" or the 5.25 inch?  Many folks don't remember the 8" disks. If you had a hard drive at all I'm guessing you mean the 5.25" disks. Our first PC had a 5.25" disk drive and a whopping 40 MB hard drive.

Yes. The 5.25" disk. It probably had 40megs also. Just never paid any attention, until we bought our first Windows computer and it came loaded with King's Quest 1. I was hooked.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I think many of us are watching MedallionClass Mondays to stay informed. Plus you're posting on the internet so you're not that far behind. And yes, those without a smart phone have to use [1] any portal around the ship [2] stateroom TV or [3] carry a tablet. Or complain to a crew member (oh wait you might need Journey View for that)

No. According to the last MedallionClass Monday, you can walk up to a crew member and tell them what you want. (Bet the crew will just looovvee that one).🤣

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thrak said:

When you say "the BIG one" do you mean the 8" or the 5.25 inch?  Many folks don't remember the 8" disks. If you had a hard drive at all I'm guessing you mean the 5.25" disks. Our first PC had a 5.25" disk drive and a whopping 40 MB hard drive. I used to by the cheaper "single sided" floppy disks and then used a punch that put a square hole in the side to make it a double sided disk. The media was the same but they sold it without the punch at a cheaper rate. I still have the punch in my desk drawer. 😁

They used the same marketing method with the 386 and 486 processors. They sold them in SX and DX models. The chips were essentially the same but they didn't burn the trace connection to the math co-processor on the SX versions and sold them for less. Marketing is weird.

As for DOS... I loved it. (3.3 was great. 4.0 stunk. 5.0 was good and 6.22 was amazing.) I didn't switch to Windows until Netscape came out and there was Graphical Internet. I did have Internet access before that but it was all UNIX based so it was just text. Things have really changed.

This ride down memory lane is making me realize how old I really I am.