"Medallion Class" with out a smartphone.

skidroe

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

This ride down memory lane is making me realize how old I really I am.

I go back to the 8" Floppy Disk - it was very well named - CPM era in that late 1970's. The 5.25" floopy on the IBM PC (and others of the era) was downright svelt and stable. 

Professionally administered /developed / managed / whatever on every PC operating system going back to PC-DOS 1.1. So, yeah, getting old here. Only reason no PC-DOS 1.0 is that my company at the time hadn't converted to PC's yet.

Edited by CruiseMrB

20 hours ago, Thrak said:

When you say "the BIG one" do you mean the 8" or the 5.25 inch?  Many folks don't remember the 8" disks. If you had a hard drive at all I'm guessing you mean the 5.25" disks. Our first PC had a 5.25" disk drive and a whopping 40 MB hard drive. I used to by the cheaper "single sided" floppy disks and then used a punch that put a square hole in the side to make it a double sided disk. The media was the same but they sold it without the punch at a cheaper rate. I still have the punch in my desk drawer. 😁

They used the same marketing method with the 386 and 486 processors. They sold them in SX and DX models. The chips were essentially the same but they didn't burn the trace connection to the math co-processor on the SX versions and sold them for less. Marketing is weird.

As for DOS... I loved it. (3.3 was great. 4.0 stunk. 5.0 was good and 6.22 was amazing.) I didn't switch to Windows until Netscape came out and there was Graphical Internet. I did have Internet access before that but it was all UNIX based so it was just text. Things have really changed.

I think for me when we upgraded to a 2 floppy drive PC from a single drive, with the 2 drive we no longer had to continually switch out floppys , I remember thinking that "well that's it, a desk top computer can't possibly get any better than this".... Still brings a smile sometimes remembering,  when when I boot up my 500GB lap top 😄 

On 5/11/2021 at 9:10 PM, cruzsnooze said:

I have always gotten the old fashion plastic cruise card. They will always be available because the literature with the medallion states it has a magnet and not for people with pacemakers or other implanted devises. Because of that liability Princess has a back up plan to give you a cruise card instead. 

Gossip about the patter and everything else. When cruising begins I'll see what it's like and make a decision if it's still the vacation of choice for me. 

Many thanks for highlighting this, I had not seen this.  I am taking my mother on a cruise in a few weeks time and will have to keep this in mind as she has a pacemaker fitted. 

22 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

srpilo;  I remember the floppy dics.  We have gone into hyperdrive with the GB and TB laptops

can I access Medallion Class app on a Desktop that has a dual book between Windows 98 and XP ? - I keep the data backed up on 3.5" IBM diskettes which hold 1.44 MB capacity ?

32 minutes ago, voljeep said:

can I access Medallion Class app on a Desktop that has a dual book between Windows 98 and XP ? - I keep the data backed up on 3.5" IBM diskettes which hold 1.44 MB capacity ?

You must carry a lot of floppy discs with you.  

JF- retired RRT;  seems like some people have issues and some are doing ok.  The app has bugs and that is main complaint.  You can log in one day and it works;  next time it may not work.  I think that is main issue with new medallion app.  If people on this thread continue to have issues they can contact the developer at askoceanmedallion@carnival.com

@JF - retired RRT

I'm on a older Samsung (Galaxy S9) and have found only 2 issues. [1] Blurry ship on opening app until it links up with my account [2] It will not accept my credit card. And now I can't even put it in on the personalizer. Not too worried yet as my next cruise isn't until December 9, 2021.  Otherwise it seems to be working as well as my last 2 medallion cruises. I think most of the changes won't be noticeable until I'm onboard 

2 minutes ago, Ombud said:

@JF - retired RRT

I'm on a older Samsung (Galaxy S9) and have found only 2 issues. [1] Blurry ship on opening app until it links up with my account [2] It will not accept my credit card. And now I can't even put it in on the personalizer. Not too worried yet as my next cruise isn't until December 9, 2021.  Otherwise it seems to be working as well as my last 2 medallion cruises. I think most of the changes won't be noticeable until I'm onboard 

Thanks for that info.

On 5/20/2021 at 10:31 AM, JF - retired RRT said:

Could we get back on topic?

How's them there smart phones working out with that there new Medallion thingy?🤪

Hey Grumpy!  These threads are not just for exchanging info ( although that is primary) but also for socializing with fellow cruisers!  Be Happy!!!

• 1 year later...

I don't used a Smartphone normally. The last thing I want to be carrying whilst on a holiday is a device!

Equally, I don't want to miss out either.

Had to update the perfectly good old Android 5 phone I used for strange things such as rare phone calls and an occasional text, to a later one with a later version of the Android system, just to be able to download the Princess medallion App.  What a waste of money.

Has to be the slowest most useless App I've ever come across.  The web based version isn't much better now and yet the old system always worked fine.

However, if you want to 100% guarantee no data charges etc., and have no intention of using it as a mobile phone, simply remove the SIM card and put it in a safe place when on board. The Medallion App should still work on WiFi.

I can see it now.  Everyone in the theatre before the shows, or even sitting at the buffet, glued to their devices instead of chatting to new people.  Oh deep joy.

Will there be 'device free' areas on the ship?

How many will be cheating at Trivia or will they not bother with what was a twice a day essential for us, and where many friends were made? 

Are they installing UISB charge points in the cabins? On my last visit to the USA, the LAX hotel had about 9 USB charge points in the updated room.

For every positive with modern technology, there appears to be a negative.

Thanks for the note above about them still issuing cruise cards.  That is what I'll be using.

• Like 2

We are not putting the app on our phones. I entered all our info in the Princess site through their web. Thanks CC boards for that tip. Only missed out on the dining I wanted because I didn't realize I needed to book each day. Couldn't book specialty dining so will need to do that after we board, which is fine.  I miss my TD, but will manage. Reading through this thread was a little concerned about the comments regarding the Theater? Do we need to reserve seats to see the main shows? We always grab a book and bead down about 30-45 minutes early when possible we like certain seats and this works for us. 

I'm just happy to be cruising again and I like Princess so will manage.

Like others I like to disconnect and power down on vacation, so that's my plan.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

Reading through this thread was a little concerned about the comments regarding the Theater? Do we need to reserve seats to see the main shows?

Princess does not have any reservation system for attending any show in any venue on the ship.

Not really sure that re-opening an ancient thread merely to repeat comments that were posted last year, and many of which are constantly debated in the sticky at the start of the board, is helpful.

Just yet another thread for the same old comments to be re-aired ad nauseum 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, socram13 said:

I don't used a Smartphone normally. The last thing I want to be carrying whilst on a holiday is a device!

Had to update the perfectly good old Android 5 phone I used for strange things such as rare phone calls and an occasional text, to a later one with a later version of the Android system, just to be able to download the Princess medallion App.  What a waste of money.

Has to be the slowest most useless App I've ever come across.  The web based version isn't much better now and yet the old system always worked fine.

However, if you want to 100% guarantee no data charges etc., and have no intention of using it as a mobile phone, simply remove the SIM card and put it in a safe place when on board. The Medallion App should still work on WiFi.

I can see it now.  Everyone in the theatre before the shows, or even sitting at the buffet, glued to their devices instead of chatting to new people.  Oh deep joy.

How many will be cheating at Trivia or will they not bother with what was a twice a day essential for us, and where many friends were made? 

Are they installing UISB charge points in the cabins? On my last visit to the USA, the LAX hotel had about 9 USB charge points in the updated room.

Thanks for the note above about them still issuing cruise cards.  That is what I'll be using.

6 hours ago, socram13 said:

Pretty negative post mate - then again after the Rugby robbery last night I am off Kiwis at the moment!

You don't need to remove the SIM card to avoid data charges, just disable mobile data. Simple.

The App has worked well for me but it's obvious there are still problems. Bottom line though, is if you don't want to use it then don't. All info can be taken at boarding. You didn't need to buy a new phone and any App type functions can be done using your cabin tv. 

Give it a go though mate. It's not as bad as you are making it out to be.

4 hours ago, leck57 said:

Pretty negative post mate - then again after the Rugby robbery last night I am off Kiwis at the moment!

You don't need to remove the SIM card to avoid data charges, just disable mobile data. Simple.

The App has worked well for me but it's obvious there are still problems. Bottom line though, is if you don't want to use it then don't. All info can be taken at boarding. You didn't need to buy a new phone and any App type functions can be done using your cabin tv. 

Give it a go though mate. It's not as bad as you are making it out to be.we fo not own any kind of phone but a land line-so will fo every thing the OldWzy on our upcoming trip

Just now, loerie said:
4 hours ago, leck57 said:

Give it a go though mate. It's not as bad as you are making it out to be.we fo not own any kind of phone but a land line-so will fo every thing the OldWzy on our upcoming trip

Expand