Pettiest Complaint Ever (Coco Cay)

12 minutes ago, MommaBear55 said:

So, for you who think pronouncing Cay as "Kay" is okay, how wound up do you get about calling the thing we use to get there a boat vs ship?

As a former sailor, not very. 

• Like 2

Our very first cruise, we were in Freeport with another cruise line.  I referred to something as Kay and not Key. I can't even remember the conversation, but I can remember the tour guide's reaction. I got a long dressing down lesson that the word is pronouced Key not Kay.  

This was years ago. I learned my lesson. I have never said Kay again. 

Tony says you can say either but natives might give you the side eye and label you as a tourist. Yup, experienced that🤣

#FirstWorldProblems

5 minutes ago, cured said:

Our very first cruise, we were in Freeport with another cruise line.  I referred to something as Kay and not Key. I can't even remember the conversation, but I can remember the tour guide's reaction. I got a long dressing down lesson that the word is pronounced Key not Kay.

If it was me, I would have said "Maybe it's not me saying it wrong, but YOU spelling it wrong." 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MommaBear55 said:

how wound up do you get about calling the thing we use to get there a boat vs ship?

this drives me nuts. i'm not sure why it makes me so irrationally angry when people call it a boat... LOL. definitely a me-problem 

48 minutes ago, allisonb22 said:

this drives me nuts. i'm not sure why it makes me so irrationally angry when people call it a boat... LOL. definitely a me-problem 

I'll bet "irregardless" makes you really blow your top! 😤

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cured said:

Our very first cruise, we were in Freeport with another cruise line.  I referred to something as Kay and not Key. I can't even remember the conversation, but I can remember the tour guide's reaction. I got a long dressing down lesson that the word is pronouced Key not Kay.  

This was years ago. I learned my lesson. I have never said Kay again. 

Tony says you can say either but natives might give you the side eye and label you as a tourist. Yup, experienced that🤣

#FirstWorldProblems

But I am a tourist, why would it bother me to be labeled as one?😉 

• Like 3

I'll agree with the op, it is pretty petty. 

It's a name folks, they can pronounce it any way they would like, being a name. I'll take this any day over the typical political debates here. 

Edited by tcrandal

Whether it's correct or not, the cruise lines pronounce it "Kay".  If it's O-Kay with them, it's O-Kay with me.  There are so many words people mispronounce on a daily basis not to mention the many differences in pronunciation between US, English speaking Caribbean Islands, British, Australian, and every other English speaking nation, to the extent that there are tomes of books written about the variations.   

• Like 1

We first visited Coco Cay in 1990 shortly after a life boat from the Song of Norway beached itself in the sand of this previously undiscovered bit of land.  Under International law the discoverers are allowed to name it, and they hereby declared it Coco Cay (Kay).  In 1990 the money on the island was doubloons.  That is you had to exchange money for doubloons, and I still have one or two.

Anyway, in 1990 they told us it was ........Kay.......

Here in Cincy we get our britches in a bunch over professional sports announcers who cannot pronounce Xavier University.    They say Eggsavier...and we all scream.  The X is pronounced as a Z.  

I am sure the people in Spokane are the same when those same announcers say Gon..ZOG...a.  Their nickname is the Zags, which is a pretty obvious hint at the proper pronunciation.

Eddie

Edited by Eddie Wilson

4 minutes ago, Eddie Wilson said:

We first visited Coco Cay in 1990 shortly after a life boat from the Song of Norway beached itself in the sand of this previously undiscovered bit of land.  Under International law the discoverers are allowed to name it, and they hereby declared it Coco Cay (Kay).  In 1990 the money on the island was doubloons.  That is you had to exchange money for doubloons, and I still have one or two.

Here in Cincy we get our britches in a bunch over professional sports announcers who cannot pronounce Xavier University.    They say Eggsavier...and we all scream.

I am sure the people in Spokane are the same when those same announcers say Gon..ZOG...a.  Their nickname is the Zags, which is a pretty obvious hint at the proper pronunciation.

Eddie

It was originally named Little Stirrup Cay:

https://bahamasgeotourism.com/entries/coco-cay-aka-little-stirrup-cay/9eb98188-34a7-43a8-9825-7255814bd7a5

Edited by time4u2go

5 minutes ago, Eddie Wilson said:

Here in Cincy we get our britches in a bunch over professional sports announcers who cannot pronounce Xavier University.    They say Eggsavier...and we all scream.  The X is pronounced as a Z.  

Eddie

They can't even pronounce Spokane correct how in the world are they going to pronounce Gonzoga correct.

3 minutes ago, Eddie Wilson said:

Eddie

I have heard interviews with athletes from Chicago stating that they play for a team in Illinois emphasizing the S.

I was on a cruise in 2014 .We tendered to the private island which was pronounced by the crew member as KAY.

10 hours ago, MommaBear55 said:

So, for you who think pronouncing Cay as "Kay" is okay, how wound up do you get about calling the thing we use to get there a boat vs ship?

As a sailor, we were told that the definition of a boat vs ship is that a boat could be carried on a ship (generally).

However, they also told us submarines were referred to as boats but they (most anyway) can't be carried on a ship. The only thing I can think of is that the earliest submarines were so small that they were referred to as boats and a tradition was born.....

Which brings up another pronunciation issue. 

Submariners call themselves "Sub-mar-ee-ners" (accent on "ee" not on the "mar")

This thread is evolving.....

Edited by 2chiefs

9 minutes ago, mauraoel said:

They can't even pronounce Spokane correct how in the world are they going to pronounce Gonzoga correct.

Even tougher pronunciation is sometimes a crossword puzzle, not far from Spokane,.....Coeur d’Alene.  Stayed there once at a place that had a golf hole which was an island on a lake.  They moved it everyday, so one day it was 125 yards, the next could be 150 yards, and the next 175 yards.

Then there is always Presque Isle Maine,  (which is not an island)

Eddie

Edited by Eddie Wilson

8 hours ago, ramja96 said:

I'll bet "irregardless" makes you really blow your top! 😤

I have conniptions when someone says something like "The car was green in colour".
Well, it wasn't green in F'ing SIZE, now was it?

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, RCCL Fan said:

OMG.... this one always gets people riled up.   

This was a big topic of conversation onboard  a few years back... kept hearing people talk about it in the elevators and at the bars  and  it carried into the talk with the officers.  

According to the captain, Royal Caribbean pronounces it "Kay"  not "Key";  RCI considers Coco "Kay" the name of the island and pronounced it this way, well before it adopted the "Perfect Day" moniker.  

Another officer compared it to "Kay"-man Islands  not the "Key"-man Islands.

Listen to any and all references by the company,  officially, the island is always pronounced. "Kay"

Yes, "Key" is the proper pronunciation according to the grammar purists.   However, the "Kay" pronunciation is widely used in the U.S. and considered accepted by various grammar style guides and many dictionaries.  Apparently British English, Welch English, Australian English,  American all say it differently.... going back and forth between the two.

Copied from a style guide:

Cay is most often applied to Caribbean islands, the preferred pronunciation is “key Cay comes from the Spanish word, cayo, which means key. An alternative, acceptable pronunciation commonly in the English speaking United State is "kay" rhyming with "way".

Also, on board it was discussed whether the "Schooner" as in "Schooner Bar" has a silent "C".  There was a huge discussion that the proper pronunciation of the word is "shoo-ner"  not "SC-KOO-NER"   

Captain said "Sc-koo-ner" and the grammar style guides pretty universally back him up.

So, whether you swear that it should be "key" ; "kay" is acceptable, it's what RCI calls it,  and is not grammatically incorrect.

All Sooner fans know the ponies... Boomer & Sooner pull the Schooner! (Sckooner)

9 minutes ago, Eddie Wilson said:

Then there is always Presque Isle Maine,  (which is not an island)

Eddie

That is exactly what it says ... Presque is french for ... wait for it ...

Almost.

42 minutes ago, North of 60 said:

That is exactly what it says ... Presque is french for ... wait for it ...

Almost.

Correctamondo...but many people expect an....isle.....

...and if you go there, they say it’s surrounded by water on three sides.  I think it’s a bit of a stretch, as one side is like a big creek.

Anyway, they have an interesting planet display which one needs to start at Presque Isle and cover about 50 miles to the south if I remember correctly to fully see.

Eddie

Edited by Eddie Wilson