Pettiest Complaint Ever (Coco Cay)

Looking at RCL for the first time in a while and am just now seeing the “Perfect Day at Coco Cay” slogan. The lack of rhyme on Day/Cay is driving me bonkers. I know it’s ridiculous to care about such a thing, but it can’t be helped. 

Am I the only one? Did this come up when  the slogan debuted? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

That's how I pronounce it but I think it is pronounced Key.

Well now I'm really confused...cause on the phone the endless loop RCI plays I'm hearing 'Kay" :classic_ohmy:

• Like 3

Proper pronunciation is "Key." A cay (also spelled key; both pronounced alike as "key" English pronunciation: /kiː/) is a small, low island consisting mostly of sand or coral and situated on top of a coral reef.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Ashland said:

Well now I'm really confused...cause on the phone the endless loop RCI plays I'm hearing 'Kay" :classic_ohmy:

Well yes because they want it to rhyme also the dictionary pronunciation is Kay I have heard Princess cay pronounced key but it was from a European captain.  Maybe the OP is not from the U.S. and pronounce it key. 

3 hours ago, Ashland said:

Since I first went there 25+ years ago even the Royal Employees always pronounced it Kay. If they spelled it wrong or not they named the Darn place.

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

OMG.... this one always gets people riled up.   

This was a big topic of conversation onboard  a few years back... kept hearing people talk about it in the elevators and at the bars  and  it carried into the talk with the officers.  

According to the captain, Royal Caribbean pronounces it "Kay"  not "Key";  RCI considers Coco "Kay" the name of the island and pronounced it this way, well before it adopted the "Perfect Day" moniker.  

Another officer compared it to "Kay"-man Islands  not the "Key"-man Islands.

Listen to any and all references by the company,  officially, the island is always pronounced. "Kay"

Yes, "Key" is the proper pronunciation according to the grammar purists.   However, the "Kay" pronunciation is widely used in the U.S. and considered accepted by various grammar style guides and many dictionaries.  Apparently British English, Welch English, Australian English,  American all say it differently.... going back and forth between the two.

Copied from a style guide:

Cay is most often applied to Caribbean islands, the preferred pronunciation is “key Cay comes from the Spanish word, cayo, which means key. An alternative, acceptable pronunciation commonly in the English speaking United State is "kay" rhyming with "way".

Also, on board it was discussed whether the "Schooner" as in "Schooner Bar" has a silent "C".  There was a huge discussion that the proper pronunciation of the word is "shoo-ner"  not "SC-KOO-NER"   

Captain said "Sc-koo-ner" and the grammar style guides pretty universally back him up.

So, whether you swear that it should be "key" ; "kay" is acceptable, it's what RCI calls it,  and is not grammatically incorrect.

Edited by RCCL Fan
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Proper pronunciation is "Key." A cay (also spelled key; both pronounced alike as "key" English pronunciation: /kiː/) is a small, low island consisting mostly of sand or coral and situated on top of a coral reef.

That may be the proper pronunciation but in practice either pronunciation is used for the same word. Princess Cay (Kay), Coco Cay (Kay), and Great Stirrup Cay (Kay) are the pronunciations used by the cruise lines that own the islands.

9 hours ago, zekekelso said:

Looking at RCL for the first time in a while and am just now seeing the “Perfect Day at Coco Cay” slogan. The lack of rhyme on Day/Cay is driving me bonkers. I know it’s ridiculous to care about such a thing, but it can’t be helped. 

Am I the only one? Did this come up when  the slogan debuted? 

You are not the only one. It is incorrect. 

It's almost as bad as when people say, "I could care less." 

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

You are not the only one. It is incorrect. 

It's almost as bad as when people say, "I could care less." 

Let’s throw in the pronunciation of the word quay (as in dock) as well.

• Like 2

Kay is not only an acceptable pronunciation, but the one preferred by RCI? Sure why not. Thanks for the explanation everyone - you learn something new every day around here. 

PS - it’s “skooner” darnit 🙂

• Like 1

I think of it as a proper name.  The island maybe a key but it's name is Coco Cay (Kay).

And for those who don't care all I can say is it refreshing to discuss something other than the pandemic. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mauraoel said:

And for those who don't care all I can say is it refreshing to discuss something other than the pandemic. 

I was just thinking, maybe cruising is actually coming back when we have discussions like this 🙂   Sure beats talking about vaccines and masks.

• Like 3