New Vaccination policy on RCL

23 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I'm glad I got pfizer, but would have been just as happy with moderna too.

Probably why the US is giving away J&J to the cruise ship crew as we must have an abundance of it.

They were doing Pfizer in Galveston and Port Canaveral.

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/ports-destinations/port-galveston-may-become-first-us-vaccinate-cruise-ship-crew-updated

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I heard on the local news this morning from a Dr. at Penn Medicine saying that by end of year children younger than 12 should be able to get vaccinated.     Maybe the timing will work out for your Son.   🙂

I have a good friend (physician) who told us they are expecting to approve vaccines for 2 and up in August.   All of the trials have gone so well.  

• Like 3

16 hours ago, BND said:

Well, I know there's also data saying the majority of people who died from Covid had on average multiple (like 3) co-morbidities.  Just like with other illnesses, there will be people with no underlying issues (or none known), but a case like that is extremely rare, assuming the person was at least two weeks past their last shot.  We can't all go on living our lives in constant fear especially now that numbers are plummeting and the vaccine is working very, very well.  I'm waiting to see what restaurants here do when they go to full capacity in like 3 weeks.  Currently, one of our favorites has a sign up saying fully vaccinated don't need to wear masks, yet some still do.  Other restaurants we go to are still requiring them.  But, what happens once full capacity is allowed and people take them off at the table that's 2 feet from other tables?  

I'm still wearing mine when inside. I haven't been sick with anything in the past year and a half, so between the mask wearing and hand washing, they are keeping me healthy.

I haven't eaten inside a restaurant in just as long and I'm preferring being outside unless it is in the 100s and they don't have shaded seating and misters. But I'm also lucky, most of the local restaurants have nice outside seating along the bay or creeks.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ArthurUSCG said:

I'm still wearing mine when inside. I haven't been sick with anything in the past year and a half, so between the mask wearing and hand washing, they are keeping me healthy.

I put a garden gnome in my front yard at the start of the pandemic, and so far, it has kept me healthy.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Jenjer said:

I have a good friend (physician) who told us they are expecting to approve vaccines for 2 and up in August.   All of the trials have gone so well.  

From what I have read, I expect Pfizer to submit for approval in mid to late August, however they said they will likely split it up into ages 6-11, and then later in the fall do another approval for 2-5, and a third for 6 months-2yrs. Once they submit, don't expect the FDA and CDC to approve the 5-11 EUA as fast as they did the 12-15 age group. When they approved 16+, they convened a full FDA panel and it took about 4-5 weeks. For the 12-15 age group, they did not reconvene the whole panel, they just did an amendment and shaved a few weeks off of that, but they said for 6-11 they would convene a whole panel again.

I think vaccines for children under 12 will be a challenge. My wife and I are both vaccinated, but we're absolutely on the fence for our 3 young kids. It's not lethal, the transmittal rate is lower the younger they get and we're still talking about a new technology. I am willing to take the risk myself *IF* there is anything long-term wrong with the Covid Vaccine. My children can't take this decision, I have to do it for them and I feel besides 'herd immunity' there's no real good reason to vaccinate kids below 12.

If you disagree with me, please make sure you're in my position with younger kids. This is not an easy decision.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, exm said:

I think vaccines for children under 12 will be a challenge. My wife and I are both vaccinated, but we're absolutely on the fence for our 3 young kids. It's not lethal, the transmittal rate is lower the younger they get and we're still talking about a new technology. I am willing to take the risk myself *IF* there is anything long-term wrong with the Covid Vaccine. My children can't take this decision, I have to do it for them and I feel besides 'herd immunity' there's no real good reason to vaccinate kids below 12.

If you disagree with me, please make sure you're in my position with younger kids. This is not an easy decision.

I understand your hesitancy for the mRNA vaccines to vaccinate your children but there is always the J&J vaccine you can consider. The J&J vaccine is developed with the traditional method.

Edited by coffeebean
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, exm said:

I disagree. I have already vaccinated by 12 year old daughter, and plan to vaccinate my 8 year old son as soon as they let me.

I know of so many kids who have had covid over the past year (my wife is a teacher, not a week goes by that there isn't a few positive cases at her school) and while most of them have recovered with no issues, it hasn't been 100%. I know of one in particular that has not been able to taste anything for months, and his mom tells me how depressed he is. From the research I have done, I am more worried about long term heath effects of catching Covid later in their lives than of long term effects later in life from the Pfizer vaccine.

At my daughters last checkup at her pediatrician, I went in planning to ask him if he recommended the vaccine. He didn't even let me get the question out....I said "So speaking of Covid"..and he said "yes, as soon as you can get her the vaccine!"

Now each child is different, each person has their own health concerns, and you have to go by what your research and your pediatrician says. I am in no way trying to advocate for anyone else to make a decision for their kids that they feel uncomfortable about. but this was the decision we made.

• Like 4

It looks like the more time the researchers have the more reliable data will continue to emerge.  For example, the issue of the "previously infected Covid 19" and the concept of "natural immunity" is a scientific and lifestyle football at this time.  Yet, another report released indicates something that is quite interesting.

A key takeaway, that lends to the theories that once its job is completed the decrease is not absolute; rather to a quiescent level (waiting to activate).

"People with mild cases of COVID-19 clear the virus from their bodies two to three weeks after infection, so there would be no virus driving an active immune response seven or 11 months after infection," Ellebedy said. "These cells are not dividing. They are quiescent, just sitting in the bone marrow and secreting antibodies. They have been doing that ever since the infection resolved, and they will continue doing that indefinitely."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/05/210524110135.htm

Mild coronavirus infection leaves behind lasting antibody protection, research suggests

• Like 1

1 hour ago, exm said:

No way should kids be required or even encouraged to get a vaccine for a disease that very mildly affects them. The flu affects kids much worse. 

The UK just put out the results of a study that found that EVERY pediatric covid death in the UK was a child with severe underlying health conditions. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

No way should kids be required or even encouraged to get a vaccine for a disease that very mildly affects them. The flu affects kids much worse. 

The UK just put out the results of a study that found that EVERY pediatric covid death in the UK was a child with severe underlying health conditions. 

It's not just death that's a concern, you know.

No way should any human avoid something that can protect them from a disease they'll otherwise have to suffer through, though could kill or maim them in some way, possibly long-term or even permanently. There are no 5G chips in the vaccine. Bill Gates is not tracking you. These weren't developed "overnight". The level of crazy and abhorrent anti-science behavior and touting opinions as better than science going on in this country right now is sickening.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, dswallow said:

No way should any human avoid something that can protect them from a disease they'll otherwise have to suffer through, though could kill or maim them in some way, possibly long-term or even permanently.

So why isn't the shingles vaccine recommended to kids?  Or the HPV vaccine recommended to older folks? And why isn't the flu vaccine mandatory to cruise?

Edited by smokeybandit
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Amen my friend. Critical thinking is key. 

• Like 3

@smokeybandit  said:  "The UK just put out the results of a study that found that EVERY pediatric covid death in the UK was a child with severe underlying health conditions."

Death is an even more severe health condition.

You didn't cite the study, but I'm assuming these kids didn't get the vaccine.  If they had, they might still be alive.

Edited by Shorewalk Holmes
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Shorewalk Holmes said:

Death is an even more severe health condition.

You didn't cite the study, but I'm assuming these kids didn't get the vaccine.  If they had, they might still be alive.

I didn't post that thing you're quoting as if I did. 🙂

26 minutes ago, Junonia said:

Amen my friend. Critical thinking is key. 

Personal (or close, anyway) experience from 2020:

We have a close family friend with three children.  At the time the ages were 15 (boy), 13 (boy) and 10 (girl).  The 13 yo had been exposed and had a severe reaction to SARs years before and was considered immuno comprised.  Everyone else was considered healthy.  The 15 yo was a multi-sport athlete in high school.

In April 2020 both parents tested positive for COVID, with mild symptoms.  The father had cold-like symptoms and was lethargic.  The mother showed no outward symptoms (he was 50, she was late 40s).  They all, at the advice of their doctor, self-isolated at home.  The immuno compromised child never left his room.  We (friends) coordinated bringing them meals so that they didn't have to leave the house and could self-isolate in different areas of the home.  10 days later (early May) the 15 yo tested positive and within two days was hospitilized with breathing difficulties.  36 hours later he was in ICU and didn't wake up again until just before Memorial Day.  His brother (who was immuno comprimisied) was hospitilized right before the 15 yo went itno ICU and he, too, was quickly in ICU.  We got daily updates (sometimes multiple times a day) on their status.  There were at least three times we went to bed thinking one (or both) of them wouldn't make it through the night.  Through extreme (and dedicated) medical intervention they both survived and are healthy (though do have lingering, and likely lifelong) affects.  They weren't the only children in the ICU ward (in fact, we learned some older patients were sent to other ICUs 75 miles away, they didn't want to move the kids in the ward).

The 10 year old never even tested positive.  

I tell you this to not so easily dismiss vaccinating your children.  Do not rely on the internet or talking heads (or even this post).  Talk to your doctor, and your pediatrician.  Then follow their advice.  And yes, my wife and I are both vaccinated.   My 9 yo will be vaccinated when the vaccine is available to her (she might be 10, since she turns 10 in September).

• Like 6

3 hours ago, exm said:

I agree, it's not an easy decision.  I hope you choose well, so your kids can live long and prosper enough to pay for my Social Security. 😁

• Haha 1

Based on the current data for any of the 3 USA Covid vaccines, if the results and side effects are the same as adults, then it is a no brainier for when they are approved for my 11 and 6 year old boys. It about more then just protecting them from death, it also about protecting them from long term effect of Covid.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20210407/erectile-dysfunction-risk-6-times-higher-in-men-with-covid

• Like 5