Anyone want to make a prediction..new CDC mask guidance coming?

It will all depend on feelings of the moment as to what protocols will be required that day.  Impending feeling of doom = masks, social distance, no sailings.  Feeling hopeful = no masks, sailing can commence.  

4 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

The CDC nearly destroyed the industry, not covid

My thoughts are somewhat different for cruises from the States.

IMO Covid would have destroyed the industry prior to the major vaccine uptake, to when rates dropped to around 30K a day nationwide. From that point on, IMO, the CDC is holding back the cruise industry.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Keksie said:

It will all depend on feelings of the moment as to what protocols will be required that day.  Impending feeling of doom = masks, social distance, no sailings.  Feeling hopeful = no masks, sailing can commence.  

Agreed.  That feeling of hope is now on land. I can’t wait to see it at sea. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Seriously though Jane went to a drumming event held by one staff member from one of the singing bands in close proximity to at least 20 people. Then she went to the spar and on an excursion in a cable car with a good number of passengers. How many did the infect? A few I am sure. If they had been wearing masks no one would have been infected. That is why there hasn't been a flu season this year the CDC knows it.

It was so bad, they had to call the cruise director in the middle of the night who decided to throw Jane overboard to stop the infection from spreading.  No more singing Jane.  All camera evidence destroyed. No lawsuit either. They know how to get things done on Sky Princess. 😈

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, ace2542 said:

No but they will ban you for life for refusing. Something I doubt you could appeal in court?

If they start any mandatory mask rule.

I will never get on a ship again.

I enjoy going on cruises but I also have my limits.

A bunch of "feel good" rules is not going to do anything.

There is plenty of other things to do instead of cruises...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, matj2000 said:

The BBC recently interviewed Richard Fain and he stated, masks will probably not be required eventually.

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

The CDC nearly destroyed the industry, not covid

The cruise industry shutdown was a world wide thing, not a US thing. If it were due to CDC overreaction, we’d have seen tons of cruises, just not in the US. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

I don't see it as black and white as you do, but, I do agree that a LOT of mask wearing _today_ is performative virtue signaling. The most recent studies (last couple of weeks) show that only surgical-masks correctly worn have a positive effect. Bandanas, cotton fabric, plastic visor, etc. are not proven to be effective (doesn't mean they aren't, just that there isn't enough evidence to make the claim).

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

The cruise industry shutdown was a world wide thing, not a US thing. If it were due to CDC overreaction, we’d have seen tons of cruises, just not in the US. 

The initial shutdown didn't nearly destroy the cruise industry. The CDC's refusal to follow the science to allow cruising to start again did.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

The initial shutdown didn't nearly destroy the cruise industry. The CDC's refusal to follow the science to allow cruising to start again did.

If so, why isn't cruising widespread on other parts of the world? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, zekekelso said:

On that topic you couldn't be more wrong....MSC for instance has been actively cruising since last year with mask and distancing covid protocols that have worked perfectly.  Go watch on YouTube.  Even RCCL's orient cruises were a success with only 10 cases per the 100k passengers cruised.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zekekelso said:

That's a great point.  There would have been WAY more cruising in other countries than there has been.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BecciBoo said:

MSC for instance has been actively cruising since last year with mask and distancing covid protocols that have worked perfectly

Do you think MSC will keep those policies moving forward for the general health of both staff and passengers, particularly staff. After all there is no need for staff to get cold or flu on a cruise ship.

5 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Do you think MSC will keep those policies moving forward for the general health of both staff and passengers, particularly staff. After all there is no need for staff to get cold or flu on a cruise ship.

Ace let it go.  Your "masks for ever / for life" world plan is just a flash in the pan now. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, ace2542 said:

No but they will ban you for life for refusing. Something I doubt you could appeal in court?

They could confine you to your room...I've seen that on several cruises...then kick you off the ship in the next port. I've seen that happen too.

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

Ace let it go.  Your "masks for ever / for life" world plan is just a flash in the pan now. 

But Ace, you wear one if it makes you happy....for life.  I truly want you to be happy.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Yes I agree -- he can wear whatever he wants on a cruise, shorts in the MDR and bathrobes in the WJ included.  

On an Alaska Solstice cruise I once saw a woman in PJ's and furry bedroom slippers getting breakfast in the cafeteria...kid you not

1 minute ago, BecciBoo said:

On an Alaska Solstice cruise I once saw a woman in PJ's and furry bedroom slippers getting breakfast in the cafeteria...kid you not

Yes I've seen that and worse. There was a thread about that at one point but it got deleted when people starting posting pics to illustrate. 

18 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

But Ace, you wear one if it makes you happy....for life.  I truly want you to be happy.

Masks may be part of our lives for a long time in some settings for some reasons. Wouldn't it be lovely if people who were concerned about spreading any illness wore them to be thoughtful of others? Just look at the influenza rate this year. 

• Haha 1

So Fain's interview over the weekend on the BBC seems to indicate he feels there will be a shift in mask mandates. Of course, a lot of this could be bluster, or wishful thinking, but reading the tea leaves of changes made just in the past 7-10 days, and their new vaccination policy posted on the website, my gut tells me this is based more on their behind the scenes negotiations with the CDC

From the interview: (posted on RC Blog - the bolding is me, not the blog)

Mr. Fain was asked if mandatory mask wearing as set to continue, "as the vaccine is rolling out, and certainly in the cruises from the States where pretty much everybody will be vaccinated on board, I think you're right." "I think we will not need to be wearing masks. And I think very quickly we'll be going back to cruising, which will be virtually indistinguishable from what it was two years ago."

I read 2 things out of this. 1)People would rather be vaccinated than wear masks. As touchy of a subject vax can be, experience is more important. 2)Fain pretty much sealed that "pretty much everybody" will be vaccinated. That matches their newly posted policy.

22 minutes ago, MommaBear55 said:

Masks may be part of our lives for a long time in some settings for some reasons. Wouldn't it be lovely if people who were concerned about spreading any illness wore them to be thoughtful of others? Just look at the influenza rate this year. 

Maybe your life but not mine.  Mine has been stuffed in my purse for 2 weeks now without ever having to take it out.  The flu rate was down but was it from more people getting vaccinated last fall, was it because people were not back in the office last fall/winter and in several places school was not in person.  Were ill people just getting tested for covid and when that came back negative they never got tested for flu.  A lot of possible explanations other then masks.

• Like 4

My wife & I are vaccinated. We have a cruise scheduled for July 2022 nd we are excited for the opportunity to cruise again. Even though we are vaccinated we have decided that we will not cruise w/ any cruiselines that mandates the use of masks. 

• Like 2