Staycation formal night

57 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

I haven't worn a dress or skirt for about 20 years, just trousers (before anyone has this nightmare image of me wandering into the dining room in me Bridget Jones drawers ☺️)

On formal nights it's usually   black floppy trousers and a nice flowy type of top.  I have never ever felt out of place or underdressed either on P and O, Cunard or any other line, and I always feel really dressy.

That’s me too. I always look presentable and tidy but my confidence and outlook is definitely not based on the way I look. It’s based on what I can do and comes from within. I think we place far too much emphasis in society on looks and appearance. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, MX-Drew said:

I have no idea why but that is what the fashion police said on another thread, but don't worry I will always wear the colour I wish has I have black, white, red, green and gold tuxedos to choose from.

I would love to see the red, green and gold tuxedo's. I have sat a few times in the Tamarind? bar on Ventura watching the first seating dinner guests go by in their finery before going to get ready myself. On our last cruise we only did the one formal night as the meals in the MDR are just too much especially with a tight dress on. I still wore a long dress for the other nights, but ones that aren't so formal. By the time we go on our next cruise we will probably be looking forward to them.

24 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Very smart! I have the same, or very similar, black dress in the third photo 😊 Sadly I can't fit in it at the moment 😬

Thank you, people who know me think these pictures have been photoshopped as I never dress like that off a ship. 😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, MX-Drew said:

I have no idea why but that is what the fashion police said on another thread, but don't worry I will always wear the colour I wish has I have black, white, red, green and gold tuxedos to choose from.

I only have a black one, but adopt an individual look by wearing a formal bolo tie instead of a dickie bow. Usually one of the two pictured. Black oynx and green amber, both set in sterling silver.

Homer Vance bolo.jpg

green amber bolo.jpg

Edited by Denarius
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, MX-Drew said:

Taken on Britannia and QE, a few different looks but I don't have a pic of my green tux.

6152_ON(93277_231594)_6x8_1(1)_N(A Ford)_PN(254BBalc1SK_0011.jpg).jpg

DIGITAL_E343_ON(39492_155371)_Digital_1(1)_N(A Ford)_PN(06AFireworksEM_0277.jpg).jpg

DIGITAL_E343_ON(39492_155372)_Digital_1(1)_N(A Ford)_PN(10EDK6AtriumStairsGP_0008.jpg).jpg

DIGITAL_E343_ON(39753_157752)_Digital_1(1)_N(A Ford)_PN(12HGreenScreenCB_0019.jpg).jpg

IMG_1703.jpg

Very colourful Tuxedos and thanks for posting.

I have never worn a tuxedo but have worn suits and ties most of my working life and also on P&O Formal Nights.

7 hours ago, MX-Drew said:

Taken on Britannia and QE, a few different looks but I don't have a pic of my green tux.

6152_ON(93277_231594)_6x8_1(1)_N(A Ford)_PN(254BBalc1SK_0011.jpg).jpg

DIGITAL_E343_ON(39492_155371)_Digital_1(1)_N(A Ford)_PN(06AFireworksEM_0277.jpg).jpg

DIGITAL_E343_ON(39492_155372)_Digital_1(1)_N(A Ford)_PN(10EDK6AtriumStairsGP_0008.jpg).jpg

DIGITAL_E343_ON(39753_157752)_Digital_1(1)_N(A Ford)_PN(12HGreenScreenCB_0019.jpg).jpg

IMG_1703.jpg

Great outfits! I  persuaded my hubby to buy a red waistcoat in the Debenhams sales to go with his red bow tie for our next cruise.

9 hours ago, ann141 said:

Great outfits! I  persuaded my hubby to buy a red waistcoat in the Debenhams sales to go with his red bow tie for our next cruise.

Thank you to everyone.

Debenhams is where my gold waistcoat came from, I also have the red but not had occasion to wear it yet.

As for bow ties I have numerous colours.

Is it great to be chatting about dress codes again? We must be returning to cruising.

Edited by MX-Drew
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, MX-Drew said:

Thank you to everyone.

Debenhams is where my gold waistcoat came from, I also have the red but not had occasion to wear it yet.

As for bow ties I have numerous colours.

Is it great to be chatting about dress codes again? We must be returning to cruising.

Exactly what I was thinking - a dress code thread! Yay! 😃

I will miss Debenhams for cruise clothes. Thanks for posting your photos - very dapper. I saw a gentleman on Britannia in a tartan suit - he looked amazing!

Edited by P&O SUE

As for me I always wear a dress on formal nights, not floor length though as being so short they’re very hard to find.

On other nights I wear trousers and dressy tops or less glamorous dresses or    tops and floaty skirts  - depending on the weather and my mood.

• Like 1

I love getting dressed up for formal night. I may be a "bit" older I still enjoy planni g my clothes,Beautiful dresses although I am a bit short as well so suitable longer dresses a bit hard to find. Love the tuxedo  in the pictures 

• Like 3

quite liked getting properly dressed up beforehand - rather than just smart. However, it was always lovely to see many who had really pulled out all the stops and looked amazing. 

But when I am finally back on board in July, then I really cannot wait to go to town (oh the irony) and dress up really formally. It will, for me, be even more of an event than before.

• Like 6

I love the formal nights. I have 10 in the wardrobe starting at size 14 from our first cruises in the early 2000s and down to size 10 now. I am only 5ft 1 so all have had to be shortened (one at quite at a cost though but worth it). Can’t wait to wear them again but will probably have to wait until our Caribbean cruise in December as I think our September Eastern Med cruise is unlikely to go ahead.

• Like 3

It was all confirmed with details by P&O in one of their mailings for our upcoming cruise.

https://www.pocruises.com/cruise-with-confidence/preparing-to-sail?fbclid=IwAR3FOm_A07yH6mhMC8V5VBq6u7GnxxmcuAiFq3LXXT20svCkp7YBpaTav64

13 minutes ago, TheGinBoy said:

I spoke to P&O on twitter last week and they confirmed there will be a 'Celebration' formal night on every UK staycation cruise.

I don't do tuxedos, but I'll bring a nice shirt and smoking jacket. 

3 hours ago, Pink-belle said:

It was all confirmed with details by P&O in one of their mailings for our upcoming cruise.

https://www.pocruises.com/cruise-with-confidence/preparing-to-sail?fbclid=IwAR3FOm_A07yH6mhMC8V5VBq6u7GnxxmcuAiFq3LXXT20svCkp7YBpaTav64

Sounds more like an ordeal than a holiday to me. Glad I am not cruising again until next January by which time we will hopefully be back to normal, Boris willing!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheGinBoy said:

I spoke to P&O on twitter last week and they confirmed there will be a 'Celebration' formal night on every UK staycation cruise.

I don't do tuxedos, but I'll bring a nice shirt and smoking jacket. 

Not a fan of formal nights, my wife likes them, so I put on my Dinner Suit purchased from George at Asda in 2010, which to date has been worn about 15 times on cruises only, can’t get into it since lockdown. The only other time I wear a suit is for weddings. When I used to work the firm I worked for went casual in late 1990’s for those staff not Customer facing and at a later date for customer facing, so got out of habit of suit wearing.

I much prefer the casual look when on holiday, I never take a suit on a land based holiday, so struggle to understand the need for one on a ship. I own 2 suits, the aforementioned one and a blue suit reserved for weddings, although won’t be wearing that at my son’s wedding hopefully later this year as I will be wearing a hired suit as father of the groom. 

My wife knows my views and appreciates that I toe the line for a couple of nights on a cruise, but no doubt there will be those who criticise my view on suit wearing.

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Denarius said:

Sounds more like an ordeal than a holiday to me. Glad I am not cruising again until next January by which time we will hopefully be back to normal, Boris willing!

Absolutely made the right choice for you, if that’s how you feel.  To be honest I’m so keen to get on a ship I would have slept on it while it was in port in Southampton given the chance.

• Like 5

I am quite short too so I try to buy sleeveless evening dresses with few layers. That way the cost of shortening is cheaper- just an inch off at the shoulders and however many inches I need from the bottom. Heavily beaded ones with lots of layers and sleeves cost more to alter - almost the whole dress has to be redone. 

Jersey or a stretchy material is good too for the expanding waistline. Pity Precis Petite went under as I have got a couple of dresses from there and didn't need altering. I'm getting excited now-I need to try my dresses on! 👗

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Not a fan of formal nights, my wife likes them, so I put on my Dinner Suit purchased from George at Asda in 2010, which to date has been worn about 15 times on cruises only, can’t get into it since lockdown. The only other time I wear a suit is for weddings. When I used to work the firm I worked for went casual in late 1990’s for those staff not Customer facing and at a later date for customer facing, so got out of habit of suit wearing.

I much prefer the casual look when on holiday, I never take a suit on a land based holiday, so struggle to understand the need for one on a ship. I own 2 suits, the aforementioned one and a blue suit reserved for weddings, although won’t be wearing that at my son’s wedding hopefully later this year as I will be wearing a hired suit as father of the groom. 

My wife knows my views and appreciates that I toe the line for a couple of nights on a cruise, but no doubt there will be those who criticise my view on suit wearing.

It’s your holiday, your choice.  I think P&O deal with peoples choices well. 

• Like 1