Mardi Gras Cruisers

OPERATIONAL UPDATE
MARDI GRAS JULY 31 AND AUGUST 2021 SAILINGS

Dear Carnival Guest:

We are excited about getting to welcome you aboard your upcoming cruise in August. We know you are awaiting more details about pre-cruise and onboard protocols and procedures and we want to thank you for your patience while we finalized our plans.

Our Have Fun. Be Safe. protocols and procedures have been designed to maximize the health and safety of our guests and crew while delivering a fun and memorable vacation experience.

Please take note of our Have Fun. Be Safe. guidelines we expect to follow:
  • Guests, including children who are age-eligible for vaccines, will need to be vaccinated and show proof of vaccination in advance of boarding. (As a reminder, fully vaccinated is defined as receiving the final dose of a vaccine at least 14 days before embarkation.) For your reference, any vaccine approved by either the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) or the World Health Organization (WHO) meets this requirement.
  • According to current CDC guidelines, vaccinated guests on your sailing will not be required to wear face masks or physical distance while on board. However, masks are required at the cruise terminal during embarkation.
  • Vaccinated guests may participate in Carnival-sponsored tours or independent activities. We are in the process of finalizing our tours and expect more availability to be added in the next few weeks. Please check back on Carnival.com by the end of the month.
  • All guests are required to follow the protocols and requirements for each destination while ashore. These restrictions are under the control of local government and are subject to change without advance notice. We encourage you to come prepared for potential requirements ashore which may apply to health screening/testing, masks, physical distancing, organized tours/independent activities, etc.
A Know Before You Go email will be sent to you the week before sailing with additional information on embarkation related matters.  Please watch for and read that email carefully, as it will be specific about vaccination verification and other details.

We know there are some guests who are ineligible or unable to meet the vaccination requirements and we want to provide them with more information on our decision. The current CDC requirements for cruising with a guest base that is unvaccinated are much more restrictive and will make it very difficult to deliver the experience our guests expect especially given the large number of families with younger children who sail with us.  Specifically, the current CDC requirements for cruises with unvaccinated guests require that vaccinated guests wear a face mask indoors and that all unvaccinated guests undergo testing at the embarkation terminal (and within 24 hours of debark if the cruise is longer than 4 days).  This requirement applies to all unvaccinated guests, including children, along with physical distancing requirements that will have to be maintained between guests on board.

We are in regular communication with the CDC requesting that more manageable guidelines be adopted, especially as it relates to families traveling with children under the age of 12 who are ineligible for vaccination. Until those guidelines are revised, our only alternative is to sail with vaccinated guests.  We also continue to work with Florida Governor Ron DeSantis on our plans for our Florida based ships. 

We know this is disappointing to those guests who are unable to be or have not been vaccinated, including the many children who are booked to sail with us for their summer vacation.  We had to make some difficult decisions based on where we are with the CDC, general public health guidelines, and the overall health and safety of our guests and crew.

We remain optimistic that requirements for cruising from the U.S. will continue to evolve and our approach to future sailings will become more flexible. However, at this time we must follow the guidance we have as of today. 

As we operate to meet the CDC guidelines, there is an exemption process to accommodate a small number of guests who are unable or ineligible to be vaccinated (children under 12 and other exceptions as required by federal law).  The current standard to meet the CDC’s criteria for a fully vaccinated cruise – under which guests can sail without a mask and other restrictions – is that at least 95 percent of all guests on board are fully vaccinated. 

Please click here to submit  an application for an exemption if a member of your party meets our criteria. Exemption request must be completed by end of day June 25. It’s important to note that the number of exemptions will be a very small subset, will largely be children under 12, and it will be less than 5 percent of guests to account for no shows and other operational matters.  And, we cannot begin to process these requests until after all final payments are received on June 21 and we have certainty on the total number of guests on board – so that we can determine the number of exemptions.  But we are committed to moving as quickly as possible.

In the meantime, it is important that you make sure your booking is up to date, which includes the names and ages of all guests in your party.  You can manage that in the MyCruisePlanner function on Carnival.com, with your Personal Vacation Planner, your travel agent or by calling us at 1-800-CARNIVAL.

If you determine the time is not right for you to sail, please call 1-800-CARNIVAL, your Personal Vacation Planner or your travel advisor who can help you rebook for a later date. We have ship itineraries open through 2024 and as previously communicated, we have extended your ability to rebook or request a full refund until Monday, June 21.  After that date, our regular fare rules will apply. 

Ultimately, we are focused and committed to following all guidelines, protecting public health, AND delivering to our guests, a FUN Carnival cruise vacation.  We look forward to seeing you on a Carnival cruise next month.

Sincerely,

bd3f70f3-0423-4959-8e06-f79b51e6b9d9.jpg
Christine Duffy
President, Carnival Cruise Line
Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, 2Shoes2Go said:

Strange. Doesn’t say Vista on it anywhere. We are booked on a Vista in July and b2b Vista in August. We got six of the same email. Wonder if it’s for Vista, too?

I would say it is for August Vista sailings. The first line says the deadline passed for July Vista sailings so sounds like August would be open.

"Please note we are no longer accepting requests for vaccine exemptions for sailings in July aboard Carnival Vista, Carnival Horizon and Carnival Breeze. The deadline to submit was June 15."

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, sailingships said:

Ive been getting a message

Does this mean we have to be fully paid up or what ?

Your booking does not qualify for the waitlist.  Please verify your booking number and final payment.

It would seem so based on what it says in the letter posted in #152 above?

And, we cannot begin to process these requests until after all final payments are received on June 21 and we have certainty on the total number of guests on board – so that we can determine the number of exemptions.  

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

I would say it is for August Vista sailings. The first line says the deadline passed for July Vista sailings so sounds like August would be open.

"Please note we are no longer accepting requests for vaccine exemptions for sailings in July aboard Carnival Vista, Carnival Horizon and Carnival Breeze. The deadline to submit was June 15."

We got the same email for our August 21 cruise out of California on Panorama. It also had a live link. I didn't click on it because we don't need it. 

• Like 1

On 5/25/2021 at 1:49 PM, TNcruising02 said:

My husband and I are sailing (hopefully) on August 21st.  We are looking forward to exploring a new ship, eating at new restaurants, and new entertainment.

We are on the same cruise.

• Like 1

I'm going in November and I'll be all over that Cajun food.  It's one of the reasons why I booked the ship.  I  booked well over a year ago and scored a cabin on the 16th deck.  Because I didn't cancel when Covid hit I also received a $600.00 onboard credit which I will happily spend at Emeril's.  I am so looking forward to this cruise. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, sapphire_407 said:

I'm going in November and I'll be all over that Cajun food.  It's one of the reasons why I booked the ship.  I  booked well over a year ago and scored a cabin on the 16th deck.  Because I didn't cancel when Covid hit I also received a $600.00 onboard credit which I will happily spend at Emeril's.  I am so looking forward to this cruise. 

Howd you get obc for not cancelling? We've been booked over a year and didn't hear any of that. Also sailing in Nov.

6 hours ago, sapphire_407 said:

The $600 is only for those who had a cruise cancelled from March 2020 to about  November 2021. They have to be cancelled by Carnival. Your Mardi Gras cruise in Nov was not cancelled. Unless you are referring to another cruise that was scheduled during that time frame and thus cancelled and you plan to use that FCC and OBC on your Nov MG one?

Personally Ive had 5 MG cruises cancelled but they were scheduled to sail in April 2021 and before.

Edited by sailingships

7 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

By the time we board in April  of 2024, we'll both be retired and both planning that next chapter. I'm looking forward to all the food!

I hope by the time we cruise in 2034, I hope that we'll both be retired!  😄

Tom

I couldn’t help it! Booked a cruise on the Mardi Gras for February; girls cruise with sister and friends. This boat looks amazing. I’ve never been on such a huge boat, so this should be interesting.

Now I have 3 Carnival cruises booked for the next 10 months and I have to STOP.

But...I have all this pent-up cruising and travel desire in me. Sorry not sorry! Let the roaring 20s begin!

• Like 1

In a more serious vein, where do you all recommend staying the night before the Mardi Gras cruise? Hotel rates in the Port Canaveral area seem really high and some hotels already fully booked; don’t know if due to traffic I need to be as close as possible, or if I can safely be 15 or 20 minutes away. Any info would be appreciated.

4 minutes ago, TravelBluebird said:

In a more serious vein, where do you all recommend staying the night before the Mardi Gras cruise? Hotel rates in the Port Canaveral area seem really high and some hotels already fully booked; don’t know if due to traffic I need to be as close as possible, or if I can safely be 15 or 20 minutes away. Any info would be appreciated.

I've stayed at Country Inn and Suites and Homewood Suites near the port and also stayed at Embassy Suites near the airport.  All of those hotels were fine. If I am flying in early, I will stay near the port.  For late flights, I will just stay near the airport.

For transportation, Cortrans is very affordable.  My last cruise was in March 2020.  I stayed at the Embassy Suites and decided to take an uber to the port the next morning.  It took the driver 5 minutes to pick me up at the hotel and was the fastest transportation I have had to a port.  For the return trip, we used Cortrans for $20 per person.  Excellent service.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I've stayed at Country Inn and Suites and Homewood Suites near the port and also stayed at Embassy Suites near the airport.  All of those hotels were fine. If I am flying in early, I will stay near the port.  For late flights, I will just stay near the airport.

For transportation, Cortrans is very affordable.  My last cruise was in March 2020.  I stayed at the Embassy Suites and decided to take an uber to the port the next morning.  It took the driver 5 minutes to pick me up at the hotel and was the fastest transportation I have had to a port.  For the return trip, we used Cortrans for $20 per person.  Excellent service.

Thank you for the suggestions and information!

I’ve never cruised out of Port Canaveral, so this is very helpful.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

One of the easier ports to navigate too!  🙂

Tom

Excellent! Also...does everyone fly into Orlando (long Uber or cab or shuttle?)  or Melbourne/Orlando?  Right now due to the pandemic, lots of my local direct flights from my airport  have been cancelled, and I may have to book either a connecting flight, drive 10 hours, or risk a direct flight on Allegiant airlines (to Orlando), but those always make me nervous because they have like 1 flight on a Friday, then no flights for 2 days so if there is a problem...how do you get to the boat on time?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TravelBluebird said:

Excellent! Also...does everyone fly into Orlando (long Uber or cab or shuttle?)  or Melbourne/Orlando?  Right now due to the pandemic, lots of my local direct flights from my airport  have been cancelled, and I may have to book either a connecting flight, drive 10 hours, or risk a direct flight on Allegiant airlines (to Orlando), but those always make me nervous because they have like 1 flight on a Friday, then no flights for 2 days so if there is a problem...how do you get to the boat on time?

When I fly into Orlando, I usually take Southwest Airlines because I can get a direct flight there.  I have taken other airlines, but it's usually SW.  For cruises in the summer, I am not too worried about short layovers.  However, when I cruise in the winter I will avoid a layover in Atlanta at all costs.  I almost missed a cruise one time because of flight delays, and that was flying in the day before.

Allegiant might be fine, but I would be nervous about only one flight a day.  Then again, if there was an issue with that flight you could always drive as a backup since it's just 10 hours.  I find the Allegiant seats to be very uncomfortable, so we like to stick with SW. With SW, there is no change if you need to change your flights.

As far as the distance of the Orlando airport to the port, it's not a bad drive at all.  I love cruising out of Port Canaveral.  I haven't flown into any other airports around there.  Maybe someone else has and can give you some information on their experience.

23 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

When I fly into Orlando, I usually take Southwest Airlines because I can get a direct flight there.  I have taken other airlines, but it's usually SW.  For cruises in the summer, I am not too worried about short layovers.  However, when I cruise in the winter I will avoid a layover in Atlanta at all costs.  I almost missed a cruise one time because of flight delays, and that was flying in the day before.

Allegiant might be fine, but I would be nervous about only one flight a day.  Then again, if there was an issue with that flight you could always drive as a backup since it's just 10 hours.  I find the Allegiant seats to be very uncomfortable, so we like to stick with SW. With SW, there is no change if you need to change your flights.

As far as the distance of the Orlando airport to the port, it's not a bad drive at all.  I love cruising out of Port Canaveral.  I haven't flown into any other airports around there.  Maybe someone else has and can give you some information on their experience.

If only SW flew out of my local airport! Closest airport with SW is nearly 3 hours from me. Would make my Mardi Gras (and other cruise planning!) much easier if I had more local flight choices.

And thanks RE the distance of the Orlando airport; doesn’t sound too bad at all.

• Like 1