What's Up with Explorer? No Cruises Listed until May 2022

RSSC just cancelled our Asia cruise on Explorer in March 2022. The first cruise listed on their website for Explorer is May 14, 2022.

The cancellation email blamed COVID, but that can't be the reason for cancelling cruises a year off.

Anyone know what's going on?

Just now, toolworker said:

RSSC just cancelled our Asia cruise on Explorer in March 2022. The first cruise listed on their website for Explorer is May 14, 2022.

The cancellation email blamed COVID, but that can't be the reason for cancelling cruises a year off.

See multiple threads.  Explorer taking over Mariner cruises until December; then adding Caribbean cruises; then transatlantic; then more Med cruises; then return to Med original schedule in May.  Not rocket science.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, toolworker said:

They have just cancelled our April 6 2022 cruise on Explorer too . They have today also cancelled 2 other cruises on Explorer later this year. 

Damn!  I just checked our account on the Regent web site and our March Tokyo-Tokyo cruise now has no details listed.  And, we just made culinary kitchen reservations last week!

Did I say, "damn"? 

Our Voyager cruise for next March is cancelled and, yes, I am ticked.  Just got a brochure last week in the mail showing the cruise we were on as operating...

Back on topic (edited): In this press release, NCL said: 

"Seven Seas Explorer will welcome back guests on October 16, 2021 sailing from Venice, Italy. She will complete two published Mediterranean voyages before crossing the Atlantic to Miami, Florida and, from November 15, 2021, sail a further two published sailings in the Caribbean. The ship then begins a newly created winter Caribbean season featuring eight new sailings, starting December 20, 2021 with a 14-night Southern Caribbean cruise. After a trans-Atlantic crossing, she will arrive back in Europe on April 10, 2022, sailing three more newly created Mediterranean itineraries before embarking on her published 2022 European summer season on May 14."

Some of these appear to be Mariner voyages that have been shifted to Explorer. See these threads:

Edited by toolworker

My April 2022 cruise from Singapore to Dubai on the Explorer was cancelled yesterday.  They showed Explorer doing a Med cruise instead.  When I went to see about booking it in lieu of my Sing - Dub cruise, it was already entirely waitlisted.  Very frustrating indeed.

13 minutes ago, jjs217 said:

My April 2022 cruise from Singapore to Dubai on the Explorer was cancelled yesterday.  They showed Explorer doing a Med cruise instead.  When I went to see about booking it in lieu of my Sing - Dub cruise, it was already entirely waitlisted.  Very frustrating indeed.

Not open for booking yet. Need to make offers/transfers to all those with bookings that were just cancelled before they open new ones for booking; should be by 2 June based on reports from others.

Edited by mrlevin

19 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Not open for booking yet. Need to make offers/transfers to all those with bookings that were just cancelled before they open new ones for booking; should be by 2 June based on reports from others.

Correct. Regent will rebook for the Mariner guests and move them to Explorer first.

After that the sailings will be open to public for reservations.

Your 7-night voyage, Romance of Rome, set to depart on October 16, 2021 from Venice to Rome (Civitavecchia) aboard Seven Seas Mariner® will now sail aboard Seven Seas Explorer®, while adhering to the originally scheduled day-by-day itinerary.

Our Reservations team is currently rebooking you on the updated voyage aboard Seven Seas Explorer® — no action is required to secure your updated booking. We kindly ask that you hold calls and allow us until June 2, 2021 to complete the rebooking process. All bookings will be moved to an equal suite category aboard Seven Seas Explorer®. An updated invoice will be issued on June 2, 2021.

After receiving your new invoice on June 2, if you do not wish to remain on the revised voyage, we will cancel your booking and provide a 100% Refund on the amounts** paid as of May 26, 2021. Please contact your Travel Advisor or our Reservations team at the phone numbers below by June 9, 2021 if you would prefer to cancel your booking. Refund requests will be processed within 60 days of receipt.

To ensure priority as we update your booking, we will not be accepting new bookings on this voyage until the rebooking process is complete.

Received this information. We were moved from Mariner to Explorer for 10/31/21 cruise.  They cancelled our RSS air that was booked. Not sure why, same dates and ports……just ship changed. Love the Explorer so not upset at all with the change. Now just waiting for details on cabin assignment & flights June 2 , or after. 

It looks like RSSC decided to cancel Explorer's Asia/Pacific itineraries because Australia/NZ may not open and in general Europe and the Caribbean are easier to reroute if necessary than Asia and certainly than the Pacific.

Mariner's world cruise is still set to go, but it's not sailing until Dec. 18. Apparently Explorer is taking over its earlier itineraries. Then Explorer will sail on some new itineraries and eventually resume its previous schedule.

This all makes sense. There will be plenty of demand to book up the new sailings, so RSSC doesn't need our Asia bookings.

What makes no sense at all is how RSSC is throwing the cancelled Explorer pax under the bus. They could have offered us first crack at new itineraries, or at least some sweeteners. Instead they offered us the same reduced deposits and upgrades they've had on their Europe cruises all along, and promised us a refund within 60 days.

This is incredibly disrespectful. I called Guest Relations, and the agent was willing to listen to me as long as I wanted, but RSSC has given her absolutely no resources to soften the blow. All she could say was that this was an "executive decision."

• Like 3

On 5/27/2021 at 7:55 AM, mrlevin said:

Which pax "with bookings that were just cancelled" do you mean? The Mariner pax that are being offered transfers to their identical itinerary on Explorer? Or those with cancelled Asia/Pacific bookings on Explorer?

Our fifty plus night cruise on Explorer from Sydney to Tokyo next January with extensions on both sides of the cruise was cancelled today, informed that we would have to wait until the second of june to look at alternatives, so no priority offers or transfers of the cruise were given and offered no priority booking before they go on sale to the general public. no increased FCC, and no upgrades offered. We have lost both pre and post extensions. So from a once in a lifetime cruise experience we are now probably going to chug around the Caribbean as we are already booked up for most of next year and Regent have refused to allow an extension of the FCC to 2023., considering the money that we have given them I do not think it is very good of them at all. Cannot get refund of money as have had four cruises cancelled by them and took the FCC option.

We just received a slick Regent ad in the mail today. It was promoting eastern Med. cruises on the Voyager, and the lowest categories were $1K per day per person and some for more. The cruises were all in 2022.the Voyager has about four suites in the lowest category.  I suspect that Regent is raising fares to recover at least some cash from those using FCCs. And we have no guarantee that those 2022 cruises will actually go. It is just a bad time to book (or have booked) a cruise on any line.

• Like 1

Our Feb Bangkok to Tokyo was canceled, we just got a letter how sorry Regent was--but did nothing for rebooking--think they just don't care!  With all the open FCC, people are booking--we can't get a cruise with the suite we want---finally booked at a lower suite level so we can use our FFC before losing it.  It's a sad day in cruising when Regent doesn't care...............but that is the way it is, I think it's going to cost them in the long run.

16 hours ago, ARDXXX said:

... we are already booked up for most of next year and Regent have refused to allow an extension of the FCC to 2023., considering the money that we have given them I do not think it is very good of them at all. Cannot get refund of money as have had four cruises cancelled by them and took the FCC option.

8 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

Our Feb Bangkok to Tokyo was canceled, we just got a letter how sorry Regent was--but did nothing for rebooking--think they just don't care!  With all the open FCC, people are booking--we can't get a cruise with the suite we want---finally booked at a lower suite level so we can use our FFC before losing it. 

I am so sad for you. (The "Like" button needs a sympathy option.)

Until April 6, Viking offered vouchers for 125% of value that are good for two years and then refundable at 100%. Through this month they offer cancellation up to 14 days before departure with a two year voucher, nonrefundable but fully transferrable. I wish Regent respected their customers like Viking does.

On the bright side though,  we received notice from our TA that Regent is transferring or 10 day Dec 8th Mariner Caribbean booking to an 11 day cruise on the Explorer that will leave on Dec 9. Needless to say we are ecstatic with the upgrade to their newest ship and an extra day at sea. I would think they would have at least offer all the canceled Asia passengers some incentive to re-book on one of the new Explorer itineraries. But in the words of that famous British musician and songwriter: ob-la-di, ob-la-da, life goes on bra!

2 minutes ago, cruisepsycho said:

On the bright side though,  we received notice from our TA that Regent is transferring or 10 day Dec 8th Mariner Caribbean booking to an 11 day cruise on the Explorer that will leave on Dec 9. Needless to say we are ecstatic with the upgrade to their newest ship and an extra day at sea. I would think they would have at least offer all the canceled Asia passengers some incentive to re-book on one of the new Explorer itineraries. But in the words of that famous British musician and songwriter: ob-la-di, ob-la-da, life goes on bra!

We were also booked on the Mariner cruise and the transfer is what I understand to be happening although we haven't received actual confirmation from our TA.  My daughter thinks that we will be charged more as it is a longer cruise.  I say that won't happen.  Can you tell me who is right?

9 minutes ago, Grandmaanne7 said:

We were also booked on the Mariner cruise and the transfer is what I understand to be happening although we haven't received actual confirmation from our TA.  My daughter thinks that we will be charged more as it is a longer cruise.  I say that won't happen.  Can you tell me who is right?

You are correct. Section 4f of the Ticket Contract says that you are not responsible for any fare increase if the cruise is lengthened.

Dave