The UK govt has scrapped Vaccine Passport plans

It's a good day! The UK govt has scrapped its vaccine passport plans. Science is showing that vaccinated antibodies and infection based antibodies can be long lasting (decades or longer), and it all feels like the world is getting back to normal! Happy Memorial Day. Thank every one of you who served for your service (I know it's not the day to thank, but it's just so important) and a greater thanks to those you have loved who have been lost.

• Like 11

26 minutes ago, Mariketa said:

It's a good day! The UK govt has scrapped its vaccine passport plans. Science is showing that vaccinated antibodies and infection based antibodies can be long lasting (decades or longer), and it all feels like the world is getting back to normal! Happy Memorial Day. Thank every one of you who served for your service (I know it's not the day to thank, but it's just so important) and a greater thanks to those you have loved who have been lost.

So that means I don't have to buy an I Phone then does it? 😲😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mariketa said:

Those pesky "independent" scientists finally breaking through the hysteria wall.  Now, can we leave the younger and not at risk (post infection) populations alone?  Yes.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Mariketa said:

Can you send me a link to this info?

• Like 2

According to news reports, the government “a government source reported” are probably going to scrap plans for domestic use of COVID vaccine passports ie. to go to festivals, theatre etc.

No official announcements of plans yet, as far as I know though.

However a COVID vaccine “passport” for travel purposes (presumably in case required by other countries) is already included on our NHS Apps on mobile devices in England. I had my second shot yesterday and the record of it with a bar code is on my App today.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ace2542 said:

So that means I don't have to buy an I Phone then does it? 😲😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

No you will be OK with Android... But looks like the NHS QR code proof of vaccination will now become the preferred method of proving both vaccination and recent test results.

I note MSC added it to their list of acceptable "proof of vaccination" methods for their UK cruises Q&A page.

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I believe it is still very much being considered for international travel. 

There is a G7 meting coming up and that is one of the things they are going to talk about and how to align everything so foreign travel will be smoother.  EU has stated they require proof of vaccination. We will see what they come up with.

1 hour ago, Notts1964 said:

According to news reports, the government “a government source reported” are probably going to scrap plans for domestic use of COVID vaccine passports ie. to go to festivals, theatre etc.

No official announcements of plans yet, as far as I know though.

However a COVID vaccine “passport” for travel purposes (presumably in case required by other countries) is already included on our NHS Apps on mobile devices in England. I had my second shot yesterday and the record of it with a bar code is on my App today.

That is how I interpret the story.

With the addition that there will be no new legal requirement for large venues to require a "vaccine passport".

Of course if a venue or business decides it wants proof of vaccination such as a pub or cruise ship there is conversely nothing to prohibit that either.

Agree that the NHS app is super efficient at recording all the vaccine details by the following day.

The other story, the potential longevity of those with natural immunity (and antibodies from prior infection), continue to gather support of the theory that that segment of the population should be treated "equally" with those vaccinated.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/covid19/92836

A selected quote from the underlying article (from the professor and former CDC medical officer) is representative of many recent research studies in regards to those previously infected) ~

Moving forward, policymakers should include natural immunity as determined by an accurate and reliable antibody test or the documentation of prior infection (previous positive PCR or antigen test), as evidence of immunity equal to that of vaccination. That immunity should be given the same societal status as vaccine-inducted immunity. Such a policy will greatly reduce anxiety and increase access to travel, events, family visits, and more. The updated policy will allow those who have recovered to celebrate their recovery by informing them of their immunity, allowing them to safely discard their masks, show their faces, and join the legions of those vaccinated.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Thanks for update. Not surprised, not needed. Know US leadership and WHO never wanted it either

USA leadership would love to have it, but they know it'd get shot down real fast in the courts if they tried.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mariketa said:

Science is showing that vaccinated antibodies and infection based antibodies can be long lasting (decades or longer)

Do you mind sharing the science behind infection-based antibodies being long-lasting to the length of decades or more? To make a similar argument that those against the COVID vaccines tout, there are currently no longitudinal studies or data to support this claim. Also, just because antibodies are long-lasting, it does not mean they are robust in terms of immune response (see the UC Irvine study I embedded below).

6 hours ago, At Sea At Peace said:

The other story, the potential longevity of those with natural immunity (and antibodies from prior infection), continue to gather support of the theory that that segment of the population should be treated "equally" with those vaccinated.

I haven't done a lot of reading about those with natural immunity, but there's science out there that suggest immune response from mRNA COVID-19 vaccines is more robust than natural infection. I would love for those previously infected to be as protected as those fully vaccinated, but more scientific investigation needs to be done to evaluate the policy implications for this.

Edited by BOOKBOOKBOOK
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, njkruzer said:

Ok.  When does the UK let us back in?  Scheduled to sail on Anthem October 9th.

Next review is 14th July,  wef 21st July.

But with cases on the rise again Scientists are pushing for full opening to be delayed a few more weeks. 

Big push to get the teens and twenties vaccinated.  Seems to be a race between vaccination and variants.

Yesterday we had just one death from Covid though