It's finally the news you have been patiently waiting to hear.

bajathree

8 hours ago, iamaqt2 said:

Royal is "requiring" vaccinations by "punitive measures" to unvaccinated passengers.   Not vaccinated?  You'll pay a whole heck of a lot more in extra testing and lost vacay time.  Plus strict protocols and restricted access onboard.  There's always a way to get the unvaccinated off the ship.

It might seem like "punitive" measures but they are just following the agreements with the CDC and trying to comply with the state of FL.  Rock meet hard place. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TeeRick said:

It might seem like "punitive" measures but they are just following the agreements with the CDC and trying to comply with the state of FL.  Rock meet hard place. 

I air quoted them as punitive when in reality RCCL is using them as a deterrent.  Who would want to cruise with all those extra costs and trouble?  And the potential for not boarding at all?  And I don't think this is purely CDC driven. 

17 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

I air quoted them as punitive when in reality RCCL is using them as a deterrent.  Who would want to cruise with all those extra costs and trouble?  And the potential for not boarding at all?  And I don't think this is purely CDC driven. 

Agree.  But it is kind of clever of them.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, bikerunner said:

Was not "free"  trust me its being paid for by someplace.  I work in Rev Mgmt for a large healthcare company. The patient yes its free but the facility is getting reimbursed, though very little 

I didn't pay, it's free.  That's all that matters.  

• Like 1

On 6/8/2021 at 5:50 PM, kathynorth said:

Although 95% of passengers and crew will be vaccinated, there are 5% who may not be vaccinated. IMO this is how Celebrity can get around the Florida rule that bars businesses from requiring vaccinations. Instead of saying you can't come on board without a vaccine they say they are reserving up to 5% of seats for unvaccinated, however, those seats will be very uncomfortable. 

This is exactly right. All of these gymnastics are required because of the State of Florida’s ridiculous ban on vaccine mandates. If not for that, sailing a fully vaccinated sailing would be a breeze and not a potential circus at the port. 

Edited by harkinmr
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

I was able to pull up August sailing. Did not check July. Symphony was the ship that I pulled up but other ships were showing. Maybe they’re back. 

Odyssey July sailings are all gone still

Edited by bajathree

On 6/8/2021 at 5:58 PM, Susanb10567 said:

Can’t the CDC rescind the approval to sail since Celebrity will not be checking to see if passengers are vaccinated. This is all very disappointing. I really thought that they would want to verify vaccination status of their passengers. That is how they promoted the sailings. 

I expect that they have run this plan by the CDC for approval. At least I would hope so.  They will still have to certify the vaccination status of the ship before departing or approval to sail will be pulled. 

9 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

This is exactly right. All of these gymnastics are required because of the State of Florida’s ridiculous ban on vaccine mandates. If not for that, sailing a fully vaccinated sailing would be a breeze and not a potential circus at the port. 

Agree 100%.   

• Like 1

For people that are more familiar with the legal arguments: I know the current legal issue is not directly about the vaccine mandate but rather the CSO. Could the results today impact the vaccine mandate though? For instance, if the judge rules that the CDC is allowed to have oversight regarding cruise ships, then will that supersede the local level laws (i.e., FL vaccine restrictions)? 

7 minutes ago, AbbyCruiser45 said:

For people that are more familiar with the legal arguments: I know the current legal issue is not directly about the vaccine mandate but rather the CSO. Could the results today impact the vaccine mandate though? For instance, if the judge rules that the CDC is allowed to have oversight regarding cruise ships, then will that supersede the local level laws (i.e., FL vaccine restrictions)? 

I don't think a ruling in favor of the CDC changes anything, because this suit doesn't pertain to the Florida law regarding vaccine mandates at all. I think a ruling in FL's favor could definitely have an impact, because it would remove the requirement for 95% vaccinated crew and passengers in order to avoid test sailings or in order to have lesser COVID mitigation methods onboard. Right now, the CSO says no masks or social distancing required for 95% vaccinated cruises. If the CSO goes away, cruise lines could make their own mask and social distancing policies irrespective of vaccination.

5 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

I expect that they have run this plan by the CDC for approval. At least I would hope so.  They will still have to certify the vaccination status of the ship before departing or approval to sail will be pulled. 

Celebrity has different protocol for Florida.  

When a client calls to book a cruise out of FL they are asked if they are vaxxed  or intend to be vaxxed before check in. and would volunteer proof at port check in. If they say yes a notation is made on their booking.   This booking will be part of the 95%
if the response is no or if there is a refusal to give that information there is a notation made on their booking.   At the port they would be directed to a different section to undergo more screening ($) and then further restrictions on board.   These pax are in the 5%. 

the agent mentioned that as the bookings progress they will have a good idea of the numbers in each category.   CDC wants only 5% of unvaxed  so if you say you are planning to get the shot but don’t show up with it at sneak in you move to the 5%

so there could be a chance that the 5% could fill up and maybe pax could be denied boarding.

none of that mussing around for Alaska sailings out of   Seattle.   Vaccinations mandated. 

On 6/8/2021 at 7:10 PM, DrKoob said:

The Florida law says they can't not serve you if you because you aren't vaccinated. It doesn't say they can't ask for proof one way or another. They are just going to serve in a different way (masked) than others. 

If I were unvaccinated (and I am fully vaccinated) I would be worried about getting off a ship in a foreign country (island) where you have almost no rights. If someone there asks for your card (like a policeman or health officer) and you don't have it, you might wind up in custody or expelled. 

The law “effectively” bans the business from asking for proof in order to receive services. The business can say you must be vaccinated, but then cannot deny you the service for failing to provide the proof. The penalty (fine) for denying the service then applies.  Celebrity has come up with a plan where they do not ask for the proof, but then say if you don’t provide proof voluntarily you will be considered unvaccinated, could be denied boarding and will be subject to strict protocols. It’s quite creative, but it is all such unnecessary legal gymnastics. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

The law “effectively” bans the business from asking for proof in order to receive services. The business can say you must be vaccinated, but then cannot deny you the service for failing to provide the proof. The penalty (fine) for denying the service then applies.  Celebrity has come up with a plan where they do not ask for the proof, but then say if you don’t provide proof voluntarily you will be considered unvaccinated, could be denied boarding and will be subject to strict protocols. It’s quite creative, but it is all such unnecessary legal gymnastics. 

My sister and BIL just booked a suite on the  Edge for a July cruise from FLL.  They were told that anyone unwilling to prove being vaccinated,  will be considered unvaccinated, and will have to wear a mask 100% of the time they are outside of their cabin on the cruise. They are both vaccinated so not worried about mask wearing but when she asked how the masking policy will be enforced for unvaccinated, she was told the details are being worked out by Celebrity. She thinks it may be linked to sail cards when you check in and board. This could prohibit leaving the ship when in any port that requires tourists to be vaccinated.  Why anyone would want to cruise if unvaccinated makes no sense if these protocols are in place. 

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I don't think a ruling in favor of the CDC changes anything, because this suit doesn't pertain to the Florida law regarding vaccine mandates at all. I think a ruling in FL's favor could definitely have an impact, because it would remove the requirement for 95% vaccinated crew and passengers in order to avoid test sailings or in order to have lesser COVID mitigation methods onboard. Right now, the CSO says no masks or social distancing required for 95% vaccinated cruises. If the CSO goes away, cruise lines could make their own mask and social distancing policies irrespective of vaccination.

I don't think the ruling matters one way or the other.  I do believe the Cruise lines (most cruise lines) have been pretty clear in their intentions.  They all want to cruise with COVID Vaccination Requirements.  My guess is they want to do so because any outbreak of COVID on any of their ships essentially shuts them down for good.  They don't want that burden, nor that risk.

While Royal has been creative in how they view sailing with vaccinated passengers, (if) any changes as a result of the lawsuit won't impact those cruises going out of FL for the next 3 months or so.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bajathree said:

Don't forget....as per DeSantis....

"But there's not been a single elected official in this country who's done more to liberate the cruise lines"

Except to throw up as many roadblocks as possible to sail safely...and to attempt to prohibit cruise lines from doing so out of FL.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I don't think the ruling matters one way or the other.  I do believe the Cruise lines (most cruise lines) have been pretty clear in their intentions.  They all want to cruise with COVID Vaccination Requirements.  My guess is they want to do so because any outbreak of COVID on any of their ships essentially shuts them down for good.  They don't want that burden, nor that risk.

While Royal has been creative in how they view sailing with vaccinated passengers, (if) any changes as a result of the lawsuit won't impact those cruises going out of FL for the next 3 months or so.

I could see the percentages shifting if it were left to the cruise lines. 5% unvaccinated is a tough bar for child-friendly cruise lines. I could see them go more to the "all passengers over 12 must be vaccinated" model and allow children to go unvaccinated but still not require masks or social distancing onboard, even if that totals up to more than 5% of passengers.

Edited by JamieLogical
  • Like 1

Anyone sailing on June 26 Edge been able to check in. I go an email from my T/A that said I can now check in, however the Celebrity web site said check in is unavailable. I contacted my T/A and she tried and also had the same problem. She said she would contact Celebrity but that was two days ago I have heard nothing.

3 minutes ago, Cruzinram said:

Anyone sailing on June 26 Edge been able to check in. I go an email from my T/A that said I can now check in, however the Celebrity web site said check in is unavailable. I contacted my T/A and she tried and also had the same problem. She said she would contact Celebrity but that was two days ago I have heard nothing.

I saw on Facebook that someone got an email that check-in was ready but said the same thing you did. My assumption is that an automated email went out, but it's not actually ready. They're likely finding a way to track the 95% vaccination rate. 

Makes me REALLY wonder...

How all of you guys are picturing the embarkation with no clear clue of how many cruisers do have vaccination card, and how many do not?? Are you seriously seeing this to be "first come - first serve" basis for those (measly - no offense) 5%? Really?

It will be DEFINITELY sorted out prior to anyone will even start packing their suitcases. Be it a request from X, or anything like that, but I bet that well before anyone would step on the pier it will be already sorted out, who sails in that dreadful (again, no pun intended) 5% cohort.

This is not your standby airline principle, come on..... People will fly to the embarkation port without a clear guarantee that they will sail?? Are there gonna be fights for fitting in the "5"??? Are you kiddin' me...

9 minutes ago, Cruzinram said:

Check-in is not available and is not likely to be available until next week at the earliest. Under normal circumstances those emails are automated, but as we know, these are not normal circumstances. 

34 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

My sister and BIL just booked a suite on the  Edge for a July cruise from FLL.  They were told that anyone unwilling to prove being vaccinated,  will be considered unvaccinated, and will have to wear a mask 100% of the time they are outside of their cabin on the cruise. They are both vaccinated so not worried about mask wearing but when she asked how the masking policy will be enforced for unvaccinated, she was told the details are being worked out by Celebrity. She thinks it may be linked to sail cards when you check in and board. This could prohibit leaving the ship when in any port that requires tourists to be vaccinated.  Why anyone would want to cruise if unvaccinated makes no sense if these protocols are in place. 

I forgot one other thing my sister told me about FLL cruises. If you are considered unvaccinated you will have to submit to onboard Covid testing every couple of days. A positive test will require mandatory quarantine to your cabin for the rest of the cruise and or being put off the ship at the next port.

4 minutes ago, marylander2 said:

Makes me REALLY wonder...

How all of you guys are picturing the embarkation with no clear clue of how many cruisers do have vaccination card, and how many do not?? Are you seriously seeing this to be "first come - first serve" basis for those (measly - no offense) 5%? Really?

It will be DEFINITELY sorted out prior to anyone will even start packing their suitcases. Be it a request from X, or anything like that, but I bet that well before anyone would step on the pier it will be already sorted out, who sails in that dreadful (again, no pun intended) 5% cohort.

This is not your standby airline principle, come on..... People will fly to the embarkation port without a clear guarantee that they will sail?? Are there gonna be fights for fitting in the "5"??? Are you kiddin' me...

I am not sure how they can know in advance.  By not submitting you basically are put into a pool and the cruise lines wont know how big that pool is until the day of sailing.  If its over 5% then they will need to lock it off at some point so the ship can sail.  I am pretty sure the rules will be clearly laid out what can happen if you don't volunteer your vaccination data.  

1 hour ago, Christine Frances said:

Celebrity has different protocol for Florida.  

When a client calls to book a cruise out of FL they are asked if they are vaxxed  or intend to be vaxxed before check in. and would volunteer proof at port check in. If they say yes a notation is made on their booking.   This booking will be part of the 95%
if the response is no or if there is a refusal to give that information there is a notation made on their booking.   At the port they would be directed to a different section to undergo more screening ($) and then further restrictions on board.   These pax are in the 5%. 

the agent mentioned that as the bookings progress they will have a good idea of the numbers in each category.   CDC wants only 5% of unvaxed  so if you say you are planning to get the shot but don’t show up with it at sneak in you move to the 5%

so there could be a chance that the 5% could fill up and maybe pax could be denied boarding.

I am sorry this is not how I/we got booked for December Millie cruise... We did it through *****, and while the TA had asked me about the vaccination, it was not intended to be entered anywhere in the official docs, he JUST ASKED. I feel that this nonsense with embarkation being denied for those who are late to fill the 5% quota on pier is really silly. This is not even your Jacksonville-Atlanta local flight where you are on a standby and if you are not flying in the afternoon you could catch up the evening flight... How do you imagine families coming from Mannitoba to F-Ldl to sail on Millie and they are told "sorry, our quota for 5% of non-vaccinated if filled already"? Seriously?