Anyway to register without downloading the Medallion app?

Jemnibabe

I understand that some folks do not own and are not fans of Smartphones, but they are fighting a losing battle.  Perhaps one poster here on cruises on limited itineraries (i.e. Mexico) out of San Pedro but as one who travels/cruises around the world we have seen many changes in the past 3-5 years with the most dramatic being in the past few months.  Much of the world is moving towards Smartphone apps for many purposes related to travel and not having a working phone (and some knowledge hot to use it) is going to vastly limit your options when it comes to cruises/travel.  This thread speaks to only one issue (Princess's app).  But let me toss out a few eye openers.  We have a cruise in July from Athens, Greece.  In order to get into Greece we must upload our vaccination info to a Greek Government app along with other information and they will (about 24 hours before we arrive in the country) e-mail us a QR Code (which is housed on our Smartphone) which we need to get through Greek Immigration when we arrive in Athens.  In the Fall we have another cruise out of Barbados which also has an app that must be completed at least 24 hours before arrival.  When one gets COVID tests (required in various forms around the world) the results are sent via e-mail when you may well be in travel mode without access to a computer or printer.  But your phone can receive the e-mail and it is that phone that will get you into a country.  Some airlines are now using an App (which may well become mandatory in the near future) where you upload various info including a copy of your vaccination info and COVID test results.  At the current time you can get away without that app but may face long delays since you would need to be manually processed at the airport whereas the completed app will speed your through the process.

I could write a book why it is becoming increasingly difficult to travel/cruise without a working Smartphone.  Just dealing with airlines often requires a Smartphone just to keep informed, track your luggage, etc.  Back in January we had an in route delay on AA which became complicated as AA had to rebook our flights 3 times in less then 3 hours!  It was only because we had their app on our phone that we knew what was happening and could take the necessary steps to make our connections.  Without the phone we would have been stuck in huge lines and would have missed at least one of our flights (and been stuck overnight at our own expense.

Most frequent travelers could add paragraphs to this post about similar situations.  It may not be right, but it is the way it is!

Hank

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Without the phone we would have been stuck in huge lines and would have missed at least one of our flights (and been stuck overnight at our own expense.

Most frequent travelers could add paragraphs to this post about similar situations.  It may not be right, but it is the way it is!

Hank

I will be using the app. Don’t care for some things about it. Will hold off scanning passports and adding credit card information as long as possible. 

change happens

9 years ago got rid of my land line and bought an iphone. Upgraded once since. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dog said:

I will be using the app. Don’t care for some things about it. Will hold off scanning passports and adding credit card information as long as possible. 

change happens

9 years ago got rid of my land line and bought an iphone. Upgraded once since. 

Three years ago DW still had an old flip phone!  We were not fast to accept the need of our iPhones, but having a couple of newborn Grandsons and wanting to see them via Facetime on a daily basis was a strong motivator.  But we are also very frequent international travelers and tend to do things on our own.  In the past few years our iPhones have gone from a luxury to a necessity when we travel.  This COVID mess seems to have made Smartphones a requirement for travel to some countries.  Perhaps there are work arounds but they would be complicated, time consuming, and counter productive.  It now appears that the EU is going to formally adopt a Vaccine Passport that will up and running within the next month for citizens of the EU countries.  Within a few months they will likely expand that to include folks from outside the EU and it will likely become a requirement for entry.  Japan has been talking about a mandatory tracking app (put on one's phone) as a requirement for tourists (whether this happens is questionable).  If one does not own a Smartphone they would likely need to rent a device as soon as they enter the country.    This is our new world.  Just like it is impossible to be a world traveler without a major credit card one can add a Smartphone to the "must haves."

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Three years ago DW still had an old flip phone!  We were not fast to accept the need of our iPhones, but having a couple of newborn Grandsons and wanting to see them via Facetime on a daily basis was a strong motivator.  But we are also very frequent international travelers and tend to do things on our own.  In the past few years our iPhones have gone from a luxury to a necessity when we travel.  This COVID mess seems to have made Smartphones a requirement for travel to some countries.  Perhaps there are work arounds but they would be complicated, time consuming, and counter productive.  It now appears that the EU is going to formally adopt a Vaccine Passport that will up and running within the next month for citizens of the EU countries.  Within a few months they will likely expand that to include folks from outside the EU and it will likely become a requirement for entry.  Japan has been talking about a mandatory tracking app (put on one's phone) as a requirement for tourists (whether this happens is questionable).  If one does not own a Smartphone they would likely need to rent a device as soon as they enter the country.    This is our new world.  Just like it is impossible to be a world traveler without a major credit card one can add a Smartphone to the "must haves."

Hank

Hank,  I always appreciate your posts. Thanks again!

• Like 1

I understand that the world is going the way of the smart phone. I went that way years ago myself. Heck, I booked concert tickets today and the only way to get the tickets was electronically on my phone. There's no way to print out a ticket to carry in. You must have the info in their app on the phone. Not a problem.

The problem I have isn't the lack of a suitable phone. It's the fact that, even though I have a suitable phone, the MedallionClass app doesn't function for me. The Personal Information & Documents section simply returns a page stating:

Compass is Currently Unavailable. We have "all hands on tech" working to get back online.

This is a very important portion of the app that is required to be filled out. If it won't function for me I'm stuck. Apparently there are a lot of others with the same issue. It's not the dining portion that worries me. It's the required portion that doesn't work at all that concerns me.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I understand that some folks do not own and are not fans of Smartphones, but they are fighting a losing battle.  ...  Much of the world is moving towards Smartphone apps for many purposes related to travel and not having a working phone (and some knowledge hot to use it) is going to vastly limit your options when it comes to cruises/travel.  This thread speaks to only one issue (Princess's app).

But as a number of posts on this thread and on other threads point out, having a smart phone is not enough as you must have one with an operating system from the past year or two.

Certainly you are not suggesting that everyone has to purchase a new smartphone every couple of years just to cruise.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, caribill said:

But as a number of posts on this thread and on other threads point out, having a smart phone is not enough as you must have one with an operating system from the past year or two.

Certainly you are not suggesting that everyone has to purchase a new smartphone every couple of years just to cruise.

I can't speak to Android, but MedallionClass app requires IOS 10 or later. IOS 10 was released September 10, 2016 and works on iPhone 5S or newer. iPhone 5S was released September 20, 2013. One can buy a refurbished iPhone 5S online from WalMart for $69.95.

Edited by billco
Correct false information
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Thrak said:

I understand that the world is going the way of the smart phone. I went that way years ago myself. Heck, I booked concert tickets today and the only way to get the tickets was electronically on my phone. There's no way to print out a ticket to carry in. You must have the info in their app on the phone. Not a problem.

The problem I have isn't the lack of a suitable phone. It's the fact that, even though I have a suitable phone, the MedallionClass app doesn't function for me. The Personal Information & Documents section simply returns a page stating:

Compass is Currently Unavailable. We have "all hands on tech" working to get back online.

This is a very important portion of the app that is required to be filled out. If it won't function for me I'm stuck. Apparently there are a lot of others with the same issue. It's not the dining portion that worries me. It's the required portion that doesn't work at all that concerns me.

I agree with your statement Thrak. My phone is also suitable however the Medallion Class app when loaded won't even list one of my upcoming cruises. It just says booking number not found. I have called and was told call again next week and I have also sent an email listing my problems with the app to the ready ocean gmail address. Hopefully they will contact me. This has been very frustrating for those of us that are having many problems. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, caribill said:

No it has nothing to do with a new phone "every couple of years."  But having a working Smartphone has become necessary to travel (and cruise) to many countries.  Not sure why you mention the "operating system" since the issue with a phone is that it works :).  Folks have phones that are 5 years or older that work quite fine.   But having a phone that functions when out of the country is vital.  Smartphones can work through WiFi or the phone link but of course folks need access.  This is the main reason we love having TMobile since their phones will function in over 200 countries without any special monthly upcharge whereas many other cell phone providers (such as Verizon) require the user to pay an extra fee to activate services in most foreign lands.

But I am not "suggesting" but making the clear statement that without a working Smartphone travelers/cruiser may find themselves out of luck with travel to some countries.  That is why I mentioned the examples of Greece and Barbados (both countries now open to US travelers) each of which requires the use of a Government app in order to enter their respective countries.  Without a working Smartphone you would not be able to follow their normal entry procedures.  Whether there is any work around (for folks without a phone) is something of which I am not aware but you can be certain that any possible work around would, at the least, involve delays and hassles upon entry.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We're one of those who do not have a smart phone.  I have a Consumer Cellular flip phone in my purse for emergencies (turned off unless I need it)  We have a cruise scheduled for next March and was planning on buying an inexpensive smartphone.  Would I need to buy 2 (one for each of us) or would we be able to do all the medallion stuff for both on one?   Will one where you buy the minutes you need up front be ok or would you need one with a plan? Does it use minutes while on the ship, say ordering a drink?  How would you know how many minutes you would need?  I know these are very basic questions but since I haven't needed one I haven't paid much attention to them.  Thanks for any insight you can give me.

• Like 1

The Medallion class app requires Android 8.0 or higher. That means any Android device more than 3 - 4 years old or so is not compatible with the app. I have 3 android devices - all of which function fine for all smartphone purposes but the Princess app is not compatible with any. I believe that all of them would be compatible with the other functions that have been mentioned - e.g. checking in for flights, uploading data to a website, QR codes,  etc.

Princess has completely mishandled the app development and rollout. The number of different issues that users experience, with a solution that has been rolled out, should be minimal and minor. It's application development and testing 101. That's not the case here.

As to requiring passengers to have and use a smartphone. That's one thing. However, let's remember that many popular "ecommerce" consumer applications reside on both apps and websites. Think Netflix, Amazon Prime, Charles Schwab, Instacart - just to name a few. So, the approach that Princess is taking does not represent current "best practices". In addition, requiring passengers to replace their phone if more than a few years old is not reasonable or necessary. 

My solution has been to purchase a refurb android phone for $50 that comes with android 9.0. I don't need it or want it for anything other than getting access to the Princess app. Not happy about it, but as an expense for the 2 upcoming Princess cruises that we have booked, it's a nominal amount of $. I have to keep focused on my desired outcome which is to not be restricted in managing our bookings.

When it arrives, I get to experience the rest of the aggravation of an app that was released well before it was ready.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

This is the main reason we love having TMobile since their phones will function in over 200 countries without any special monthly upcharge whereas many other cell phone providers (such as Verizon) require the user to pay an extra fee to activate services in most foreign lands.

I wish we had T-Mobile in Canada.  I use them when in USA.  Have often thought of just having them permanently, but then everyone we know in Canada would have to call us long-distance as very few plans up here include US calling (I mean few people sign up for those).

45 minutes ago, Croooser said:

As to requiring passengers to have and use a smartphone. That's one thing. However, let's remember that many popular "ecommerce" consumer applications reside on both apps and websites. Think Netflix, Amazon Prime, Charles Schwab, Instacart - just to name a few. So, the approach that Princess is taking does not represent current "best practices". In addition, requiring passengers to replace their phone if more than a few years old is not reasonable or necessary. 

Agree on this notion. Maintaining dual web and mobile app availability is common in the ecommerce world but it's something Princess apparently determined was too old school so, unannounced, they slammed the door on the web site option. 😠

Edited by joepeka
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, marden1970 said:

We're one of those who do not have a smart phone.  I have a Consumer Cellular flip phone in my purse for emergencies (turned off unless I need it)  We have a cruise scheduled for next March and was planning on buying an inexpensive smartphone.  Would I need to buy 2 (one for each of us) or would we be able to do all the medallion stuff for both on one?   Will one where you buy the minutes you need up front be ok or would you need one with a plan? Does it use minutes while on the ship, say ordering a drink?  How would you know how many minutes you would need?  I know these are very basic questions but since I haven't needed one I haven't paid much attention to them.  Thanks for any insight you can give me.

I think that you only need one but others will correct me if I am mistaken on that.

You should be able to use wifi only on the ship for all Princess functions but in the terminal it may be necessary to have minutes.

If you would like to, I believe that buying a Consumer Cellular smartphone would allow you to use the Princes app with your current cell phone plan. Maybe one of these:

https://www.consumercellular.com/shopping/details/avid_579/details

https://www.consumercellular.com/shopping/details/moto_g_play/details

HTH

38 minutes ago, marden1970 said:

It is nice to know that DW was not the last person in the US to have one of those Flip Phones.  At this point it does seem that a couple can do fine as long as one of them has a Smartphone.  Most apps allow you to use a single phone to register a couple or family traveling to together.  While DW and I both have our own iPhones I will often use just one of the phones to handle reservations/apps for the two of us.  

As to using the Medallion App on Princess, the app (there were actually several different apps) have been in use for some time as the ships were "Medallionized."  When you use the Medallion app on the ship you do not need any minutes as the app is an internal (Intranet) connection which lets you access onboard schedules, unlock your cabin door, book alternative dining reservations, and even order drinks (delivered to your location).  Using the Medallion system is Free!   If you also want access to the Internet (for browsing, sending/receiving e-mails, etc) then you would need to buy time or have a package that includes Internet.   

Lets face it, the world has moved into a higher tech era where one's Smartphone is becoming an increasingly important device.  Even my 4 year old Grandson seems to understand this and he can actually use a Smartphone for some functions.  Many of us older folks have already become familiar with the technology and accept it as part of our lives.  Those folks who have been resistant are going to either "get with the program" or they will be left behind having to deal with many challenges due to the lack of a Smartphone and knowing how to use it.  

In the last hour I learned that American Airlines has canceled one of our future flights and I need to contact them to make necessary changes in our schedule.  When I tried to do it online, the changes are the type that one must use a human customer service agent.  So American Airlines phone system says they will give me a "Call Back" in MORE then 4 hours!  That is the old technology (using the phone to actually talk to a human) and it is annoying.   The world is moving towards digital communications for everything and person to person voice is becoming obsolete.  Those that need to deal with humans for customer service will either need to get used to waiting hours (in lines or on hold) or find a digital solution.

Hank

• Like 1

I have downloaded the Princess app to my iPad and it seems to be functioning they way it should (finally, I figured it out).  We do not have a smart phone, just 
a Samsung Galaxy to keep in the car for emergencies with a ridiculous cheap plan that offers not much more than bare bone basics.  Is my ipad a good substitute for a smart phone?  Sorry, but I’m not very tech savvy, so forgive me if this is a dumb question.  I just want to make sure I’m doing everything properly and I don’t have to go phone shopping.  Thank you so much for your advice!

9 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

I have downloaded the Princess app to my iPad and it seems to be functioning they way it should (finally, I figured it out).  We do not have a smart phone, just 
a Samsung Galaxy to keep in the car for emergencies with a ridiculous cheap plan that offers not much more than bare bone basics.  Is my ipad a good substitute for a smart phone?  Sorry, but I’m not very tech savvy, so forgive me if this is a dumb question.  I just want to make sure I’m doing everything properly and I don’t have to go phone shopping.  Thank you so much for your advice!

Yes, any device that runs Android or Apple OS and with Wifi capability should do the trick.  Just something larger to carry around when you want to be connected with App functionality.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, any device that runs Android or Apple OS and with Wifi capability should do the trick.  Just something larger to carry around when you want to be connected with App functionality.

Got it!  Thank you for your quick reply, much appreciated.  I’d planned on taking my iPad on our cruise so I can keep in touch with family and I also have books downloaded, as well, so not an issue carrying it around.

On 6/10/2021 at 3:34 PM, Jemnibabe said:

Where at the pier?  At the location where they load the luggage?

Porters at the pier have always had blank luggage tags with a pen so you can fill in your room number and such and attach to your checked luggage.  They have always been self stick ... 

But, since the first cruise won't be leaving for at least another month+, I would guess they will have it up and running so you can print your own before hand.  

2 hours ago, marden1970 said:

I don't believe you will need two phones as both my husband and I are able to put in our information on the app that I downloaded onto my iPad using WiFi.  

If you already have WiFi and are planning on using a phone or tablet, they sell very inexpensive tablets (I'm talking about $50 at Target) that you will be able to use.  You do not need a phone as you won't be accessing your cellular.  So, you won't need a plan other than access to WiFi.  While on the ship, you won't even have to use any WiFi minutes to access the app ... they are all included through their intranet (vs the internet) while on the ship.  

Don't feel bad about not knowing these things ... I had to ask a friend how I would scan my passport on the app.  I was completely lost!  

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Thanks for your thoughtful posts. Shakespeare only needed three words in The Tempest "...brave new world..."  (ironic) a situation or society that changes in a way that is meant to improve people's lives but is often a source of extra problems.

The problem at hand is that the Princess app doesn't work on, for example, those $50 Androids mentioned just above, yet. A troubled rollout ruins confidence and why we see these threads here.

With the Personalizer, the burden was on Princess. With Medallion, the burden is on the sometimes not tech savvy older passenger, given Princess' demographic.

Yes, you are correct, just the way it is. New but not better.

Edited by mtnesterz

4 hours ago, CruisinCouple2010 said:

I agree with your statement Thrak. My phone is also suitable however the Medallion Class app when loaded won't even list one of my upcoming cruises. It just says booking number not found. I have called and was told call again next week and I have also sent an email listing my problems with the app to the ready ocean gmail address. Hopefully they will contact me. This has been very frustrating for those of us that are having many problems. 

Try your booking number all lower case. The app can't find anything for me if I put it uppercase like all the documents show.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Try your booking number all lower case. The app can't find anything for me if I put it uppercase like all the documents show.

Hi Thrak

I had read one of your previous posts regarding lower casement about a week ago and I did try both ways but unfortunately it still didn't work. I am planning on calling them again today.  Thanks for trying to help.

On 6/9/2021 at 8:55 AM, donaldsc said:

There is something that I don't understand about this thread and similar ones complaining about how a cruise line is doing things.  Are there other cruise lines out there?  Does Princess do any cruises that are unique?  Are there other cruise lines that are similar in ship ambience?  If you don't like the way Princess or any other cruise line is treating you, don't use them any more and tell them why.   Nobody is forcing you to cruise Princess.

Not quite the point. My parents have been cruising on Princess for 32 years. They have been and will continue to use other cruise lines, but have built up status on Princess, which is the point of loyalty programs. Also, Los Angeles is their home port. Being in their 90s, travel to other ports (FLL, MIA, NYC, etc) isn't easy. They aren't forced to use Princess, but would like to. Why does Princess seem to insist on making this difficult and unpleasant?

On 6/9/2021 at 1:32 PM, donaldsc said:

I totally see your point.  You have to make a decision - the perks for 361 days of cruising on a line that you like but doesn't give a hoot about your needs and wants or to switch lines.  Bottom line is that is your decision.

As they pointed out they have FCC to use. Life isn't black & white.

On 6/9/2021 at 3:12 PM, azbirdmom said:

image.thumb.png.6ad1f6730650c6f3069566df1deb95ec.png

I think Princess is pretending or wanting it to be that the happy family in this picture is their typical cruise party, not 70 somethings. If Princess WANTS the people in the pic they better start buildings hips like the NCL Bliss and RC Oasis.

On 6/9/2021 at 11:43 PM, caribill said:

Princess said they are doing this to lessen the workload of the TAs. The more the client does, the less the TA has to. Like the grocery stores with the self-service checkout lines. The more checkout work you do yourself, the less the store employees need to do for you.

But few stores have self checkout only. Fresh & Easy tried that concept and they flopped badly.

Banks still have tellers, even though they have ATMs.

Airlines still counters, even though they have self check-in kiosks. Ditto for rental car companies.

Sam's Club let's you self checkout by scanning as you go using their app, but still have checkers.

I am sure banks, airlines, fast food restaurants, stores, etc would LOVE to fire their customer facing people and go all app. We will one day, sooner rather than later, but all recognize now is not the time to FORCE their customers into it.

I understand that some folks do not own and are not fans of Smartphones, but they are fighting a losing battle. 

It shouldn't be a "battle". It should be Burger King, "Have It Your Way". Princess leadership needs to be realistic about who their paying customers are right now.

I think they made a monetary judgment on not integrating the Medallion app with their current Cruise Personalizer and that might bite them in the posterior. Penny wise, pound foolish, as they say.

But let me toss out a few eye openers.  We have a cruise in July from Athens, Greece.  In order to get into Greece we must upload our vaccination info to a Greek Government app along with other information and they will (about 24 hours before we arrive in the country) e-mail us a QR Code (which is housed on our Smartphone) which we need to get through Greek Immigration when we arrive in Athens.

Greece is a freaking third world country that is virtually bankrupt. Good luck. You need look no further than the Athens bus system to understand the difference between Germany and Greece.

I could write a book why it is becoming increasingly difficult to travel/cruise without a working Smartphone.

Yes Smartphones are great, handy and the wave of the future, but organizations(be they countries or companies) that abandon current methods and standards, do so at their own peril.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1